Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - New Year's Edition (Wk 5)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - New Year's Edition (Wk 5)

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:37 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:14 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:22 pm Looks solid.

If played on a neutral court….South Point might very well be favored, BUT have they done more to be in the 3 spot over Fairfield? If not for the upset loss to Peake I wouldn’t argue as schedule has been legit and some nice wins.
South Point plays a lot of those "foreign" teams which makes it difficult to give them props and/or penalize them BUT the 3 teams they have played across the big river Huntington HIgh (5-1)/Cabell Midland (4-1)/Spring Valley (4-1) are ranked 1,2,4 in the Mountain State Region of WVa ...SP beat Cabell Midland in 5 OTs 104-102 ... my take is THAT THOSE 3 games vs those 3 teams are losses on literally everyone's schedule in the SE District ... Huntington High beat Minford by 9 ... SP overwhelmed Fairland +28, Gallia +17 , Circleville +31, West +39 ... then there's THAT Chesapeake "head scratcher" - I guess I'm looking at that one as "a wake up call game" - we'll know if I'm right or wrong Friday the 13th of Jan as SP visits the Peake for the rematch ... Fairfield Leesburg - definitely Elite 8 ... the big W on the road vs Washington CH +1 in OT ... good wins over North Adams (+5) (North Adams with a 2 point win at home on the last shot vs Fairland - I watched it, a headscratcher as how the Dragons lost this one), Lynchburg +6 (still Lynchburg is sub .500) , Paint Valley +14 good win - I like PV in D4 ... Eastern Brown is not the EB of past years - they struggle to score (+27) ... undefeated IS undefeated while SP has 3 losses ... but I like the Pointers overall resume' - right now ... the real season begins now as everybody should have "figured it out" rotations/youngsters adjusting/lineups that put up points needed to get W's/ football players now are basketball condition etc. ... most teams have played their tough non-conference, holiday classic matchups (there are teams who still have some great non-conference games yet to play but for the most part most are good with league action now ... so the short answer - I from what I've seen - I like SP over Fairfield BUT one spot below is like they are sitting in the same seat on the bus - not much difference ...
I have a recommendation for the committee of 1….like last year with PWest, this year MT early and now Fairfield….when a team reaches its highest ever ranking in your 15+ years of these rankings…..they should have several purple hippos after their name and record…..bring attention to those achieving like we aren’t used to. I think that would be fun and for a lot of teams, bring a little extra for teams to move up your rankings.
I'd do this if I KNEW HOW TO !!! when you add a photo it puts a BA attachment ... I don't know how to make the purple hippo fit like a smilie immediately after the Name (record) ... TSYS is the resident computer guy on SEOPs maybe he can help with this issue??? right now we have some teams that are in rare air (for them) in the rankings ... Minford at #1, South Point at 3, Fairfield Leesburg at 4, North Adams at 7, New Lex, Paint Valley, Marietta, Circleville ... I'll have to go back and run off the Final rankings over the 16 years on SEOPs (if they are all on here - I think we lost info/posts when mattash did a software update or change at one time , I think I lost about 7K posts back in the early days) ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:06 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:14 pm

South Point plays a lot of those "foreign" teams which makes it difficult to give them props and/or penalize them BUT the 3 teams they have played across the big river Huntington HIgh (5-1)/Cabell Midland (4-1)/Spring Valley (4-1) are ranked 1,2,4 in the Mountain State Region of WVa ...SP beat Cabell Midland in 5 OTs 104-102 ... my take is THAT THOSE 3 games vs those 3 teams are losses on literally everyone's schedule in the SE District ... Huntington High beat Minford by 9 ... SP overwhelmed Fairland +28, Gallia +17 , Circleville +31, West +39 ... then there's THAT Chesapeake "head scratcher" - I guess I'm looking at that one as "a wake up call game" - we'll know if I'm right or wrong Friday the 13th of Jan as SP visits the Peake for the rematch ... Fairfield Leesburg - definitely Elite 8 ... the big W on the road vs Washington CH +1 in OT ... good wins over North Adams (+5) (North Adams with a 2 point win at home on the last shot vs Fairland - I watched it, a headscratcher as how the Dragons lost this one), Lynchburg +6 (still Lynchburg is sub .500) , Paint Valley +14 good win - I like PV in D4 ... Eastern Brown is not the EB of past years - they struggle to score (+27) ... undefeated IS undefeated while SP has 3 losses ... but I like the Pointers overall resume' - right now ... the real season begins now as everybody should have "figured it out" rotations/youngsters adjusting/lineups that put up points needed to get W's/ football players now are basketball condition etc. ... most teams have played their tough non-conference, holiday classic matchups (there are teams who still have some great non-conference games yet to play but for the most part most are good with league action now ... so the short answer - I from what I've seen - I like SP over Fairfield BUT one spot below is like they are sitting in the same seat on the bus - not much difference ...
I have a recommendation for the committee of 1….like last year with PWest, this year MT early and now Fairfield….when a team reaches its highest ever ranking in your 15+ years of these rankings…..they should have several purple hippos after their name and record…..bring attention to those achieving like we aren’t used to. I think that would be fun and for a lot of teams, bring a little extra for teams to move up your rankings.
I'd do this if I KNEW HOW TO !!! when you add a photo it puts a BA attachment ... I don't know how to make the purple hippo fit like a smilie immediately after the Name (record) ... TSYS is the resident computer guy on SEOPs maybe he can help with this issue??? right now we have some teams that are in rare air (for them) in the rankings ... Minford at #1, South Point at 3, Fairfield Leesburg at 4, North Adams at 7, New Lex, Paint Valley, Marietta, Circleville ... I'll have to go back and run off the Final rankings over the 16 years on SEOPs (if they are all on here - I think we lost info/posts when mattash did a software update or change at one time , I think I lost about 7K posts back in the early days) ...
That’s fair! I feel North Adams has been in top 6 or 7 before…guessing back when they had Kraig Unger the Year Portsmouth about took them out in the sectionals? Then he went to to Convo and put on some kind of show with around 40 points…maybe a buzzer beater? I think they lost in regional semis a year near that and maybe had a turnover late or last possession and lost…..maybe you recall or thebabybull can help us.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:11 pm
pfloyd wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:06 pm

That’s fair! I feel North Adams has been in top 6 or 7 before…guessing back when they had Kraig Unger the Year Portsmouth about took them out in the sectionals? Then he went to to Convo and put on some kind of show with around 40 points…maybe a buzzer beater? I think they lost in regional semis a year near that and maybe had a turnover late or last possession and lost…..maybe you recall or thebabybull can help us.
They would’ve been up there. That’s the year Piketon beat them in the Regionals and went on to the Final Four, 2009. That season was probably the best the SVC has been in this century, with 3 teams in the District Finals, and Piketon having two league losses. Adena, Piketon, Westfall and Zane Trace were all stacked.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Went back as far as it goes on here and the 2007-08 season they were #6 Jan 6th, 13th and 20th but never saw the 27th anywhere.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ok 2008-09 season….North Adams and Logan Elm shared #1 for 5+ weeks and we’re shared #1 in final rankings

Unger saved them from a dangerous Portsmouth team in sectional finals and went for 40

District semis he went 19-7-7 in blasting Fairland 91-69

District Finals he “struggled” but hit huge 3 in OT to beat Zane Trace

Regional Semis were way down on Piketon and Unger went crazy in 4th and hit 4 or 5 3’s I clouding tying 3 with around 10 seconds left. He scored 37 and had 8 3’s

And I had a blast scrolling through the 2007-2009 threads and reading…..this place was booming

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:00 pm Ok 2008-09 season….North Adams and Logan Elm shared #1 for 5+ weeks and we’re shared #1 in final rankings

Unger saved them from a dangerous Portsmouth team in sectional finals and went for 40

District semis he went 19-7-7 in blasting Fairland 91-69

District Finals he “struggled” but hit huge 3 in OT to beat Zane Trace

Regional Semis were way down on Piketon and Unger went crazy in 4th and hit 4 or 5 3’s I clouding tying 3 with around 10 seconds left. He scored 37 and had 8 3’s

And I had a blast scrolling through the 2007-2009 threads and reading…..this place was booming
... I just went back to 2007 myself - some good stuff! I used to do a more thorough rundown of the teams' in the top 8 positions, each game they played in the week that was ... of course I hadn't started tracking ALL of the teams in SEO ... we had FREE access to newspapers back then as well - helped to get to know individual players etc. Now? have to have subscriptions to the papers after reading 5-6 articles ... missing many of the posters from back then as well ... can't even imagine trying to do ALL 71 teams the way I did the Elite 8 back in the day ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yr-oiKEoHGg

Monday’s Jackson at Unioto game is now live on SOSA’s YouTube

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:06 pm https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yr-oiKEoHGg

... clicking your link now - have a good game call daniC !

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:06 pm https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yr-oiKEoHGg

Unioto shoots to quick end of 1st Quarter and gives up a three on the other end. A lot of teams don’t believe in “one shot” end of the quarter.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hookshot wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:31 pm

Unioto shoots to quick end of 1st Quarter and gives up a three on the other end. A lot of teams don’t believe in “one shot” end of the quarter.
A lot of kids have no clue the value

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Watched it and awaiting halftime stats but volume won’t work

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson 34-32 half

Jarvis 14

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson 40-32…came out hot 2nd half forcing turnovers

Campbell and Jarvis 14 each

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Unioto rallies and takes lead in early 4th…on a 15-6 run 47-46

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

OT 57-57

Jarvis missed a fadeaway 3 at the horn

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Unioto 66-63, OT. Good game to watch. Close throughout.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Tough loss 66-63 in OT

Down 1 Jarvis drove the lane and dished on his left to Jenkins and it was contested but a good look at the basket.

Jackson had a 1 point lead and a stop but Unioto missed shot wasn’t corralled and Schoblock with a hustle save to keep from out of bounds and threw it to Fox under basket for put in.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

A ton of youth on the court tends to lead to some sloppiness on certain situations for sure.

Really good game overall, fun game to call.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:20 pm A ton of youth on the court tends to lead to some sloppiness on certain situations for sure.

Really good game overall, fun game to call.
... I watch all of the youngsters playing for both Unioto and Jackson it makes me smile thinking about the great basketball we will have not only THIS year but in the next few years! Unioto, Jackson, Warren, Circleville, Minford, Fairland, Chesapeake, Fairfield Union, Ironton , Waverly, and others I'm missing off the top of my head ...

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:12 am ... other games of note??? ...
Minford is @ Beaver Eastern tonight. It's a tough place to play, as Burg and Valley found out.

Return to “Boys Basketball”