Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - New Year's Edition (Wk 5)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - New Year's Edition (Wk 5)

Post by pfloyd »

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #5

1. Minford (6-1)
2. Washington CH (11-1)
3. South Point (6-3)
4. Fairfield Leesburg (7-0)
5. Miami Trace (7-1)
6. Fairfield Union (7-2)
7. North Adams (7-1)
8. Vinton County (6-1)

...TreeHugger Wannabees ...

Zane Trace (7-1)
Gallia Academy (8-2)
Lucasville Valley (5-2)
Federal Hocking (8-2)
New Lexington (7-3)
Paint Valley (8-3)
Fairland (6-4)
South Webster (6-3)
Warren (8-4)
Unioto (5-4)
Alexander (8-3)
Westfall (6-4)
Marietta (6-3)
Ironton (3-2)
Wheelersburg (6-2)
Sheridan (4-5)
Jackson (3-4)
Lynchburg Clay (4-5)
Northwest (6-2)
Circleville (6-4)
Portsmouth (3-5)
Logan Elm (3-5)
Eastern Pike (5-4)
Eastern Brown (4-6)
Portsmouth West (4-5)
Whiteoak (4-6)
Peebles (4-6)
Green (7-3)
Coal Grove (3-5)
Rock Hill (5-2)
Chesapeake (3-6)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (6-2)
Western Pike (4-6)
Chillicothe (3-9)
Trimble (4-3)
Piketon (3-6)
Oak Hill (4-4)
Belpre (5-5)
Nelsonville York (6-3)
Adena (2-8)
Athens (2-6)
Waterford (4-3)
South Gallia (4-6)
New Boston (6-3)
Logan (1-8)
Hillsboro (4-7)
Ironton St. Joseph (5-3)
Southeastern (4-8)
Wellston (3-5)
Waverly (1-7)
Meigs (3-7)
Greenfield McClain (1-8)
Symmes Valley (2-4)
River Valley (1-9)
Southern (2-6)
Manchester (3-7)
Huntington (1-8)

... Teams on the End Table ...

Reedsville Eastern (1-7)
Portsmouth East (2-7)
Crooksville (1-7)
Portsmouth Clay (0-8)
Miller (0-6)
West Union (0-7)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elite 8 breakdown by Division for Week 5

1-8 by division :

D2 ... 4
D3 ... 3
D4 ... 1

1-15 by division :

D2 ... 6
D3 ...6
D4 ... 3

1-20 by division:

D2 ... 9
D3 ... 7
D4 ... 4

1-25 by division:

D2 ... 13
D3 ... 8
D4 ... 4

Week 5 Top 10 rankings for each Division in Southern/SouthEast Ohio

Top 10 D2 Teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line

1. Washington CH
2. Miami Trace
3. Fairfield Union
4. Vinton County
5. Gallia Academy
6. New Lexington
7. Warren
8. Unioto
9. Alexander
10. Marietta

Top 10 D3 Teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line

1. Minford
2. South Point
3. North Adams
4. Zane Trace
5. Lucasville Valley
6. Fairland
7. Westfall
8. Wheelersburg
9. Lynchburg Clay
10. Northwest

Top 10 D4 Teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line

1. Fairfield Leesburg
2. Federal Hocking
3. Paint Valley
4. South Webster
5. Eastern Pike
6. Whiteoak
7. Green
8. Portsmouth Notre Dame
9. Western Pike
10. Trimble
Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - New Year's Edition (Wk 5)

Post by Ironman92 »

Looks solid.

If played on a neutral court….South Point might very well be favored, BUT have they done more to be in the 3 spot over Fairfield? If not for the upset loss to Peake I wouldn’t argue as schedule has been legit and some nice wins.
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

East has 2 wins.

I know you've mentioned your methodology for rankings before, but how much do you weigh big wins versus bad losses or head-to-head for that matter? Do any of those count more in your mind when factoring into the rankings? What about strength of schedule?

Eastern Pike comes to mind when thinking of these factors. They certainly have 2 big wins (Valley & Wheelersburg). They also have 2 bad losses (Waverly and Oak Hill). I could forgive the Oak Hill loss as Eagles fans claimed they had several sick and a starter who did not play. The loss to previously winless Waverly without their best player is tough to explain. The Eagles are ranked just ahead of 2 teams who have beaten them head-to-head also. West knocking off Fairland and beating Eastern head-to-head would place them ahead for me even with one more loss. West easily has played the more challenging schedule of the two as well.

I have a hard time finding anything to argue about your top 15.That next tier is always harder to objectively place. I still think Whiteoak and Peebles are a little too high with 6 losses each already. I think they have received the benefit of past success in your current rankings. Based on what they have done this season I would have them about 10 spots lower. There are several teams with solid records in that next tier who I don't think have played a strong enough schedule yet to definitively move them up. I know that as more games are played we will be given more insight. You do a great job of tracking down info for all of the southeast district teams and that is no small feat.

Sciotodowns
Waterboy

Post by Sciotodowns »

Pfloyd: Ironton Saint Joe is #54 but beat #’s 41 & 51. Why are they 54?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

socsportsfan1 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:50 pm East has 2 wins.

I know you've mentioned your methodology for rankings before, but how much do you weigh big wins versus bad losses or head-to-head for that matter? Do any of those count more in your mind when factoring into the rankings? What about strength of schedule?

Eastern Pike comes to mind when thinking of these factors. They certainly have 2 big wins (Valley & Wheelersburg). They also have 2 bad losses (Waverly and Oak Hill). I could forgive the Oak Hill loss as Eagles fans claimed they had several sick and a starter who did not play. The loss to previously winless Waverly without their best player is tough to explain. The Eagles are ranked just ahead of 2 teams who have beaten them head-to-head also. West knocking off Fairland and beating Eastern head-to-head would place them ahead for me even with one more loss. West easily has played the more challenging schedule of the two as well.

I have a hard time finding anything to argue about your top 15.That next tier is always harder to objectively place. I still think Whiteoak and Peebles are a little too high with 6 losses each already. I think they have received the benefit of past success in your current rankings. Based on what they have done this season I would have them about 10 spots lower. There are several teams with solid records in that next tier who I don't think have played a strong enough schedule yet to definitively move them up. I know that as more games are played we will be given more insight. You do a great job of tracking down info for all of the southeast district teams and that is no small feat.
Whiteoak 12.5 ppg point guard quit 2 weeks ago…Whiteoak is too high and I’m the one usually limping them up.

The middle #18-#45 are tough to figure because they are all so inconsistent.

Close losses to great teams don’t drop them much in his rankings ….big wins are noted and help. Teams, coaches, programs have earned his respect over the years and he gives them the benefit over others until they prove otherwise.

To me Eastern Pike is a tough tough team to rank…..so are many others.

Pfloyd does great and I love waiting on his rankings every week….I always give something to debate by picking at him but debating like we are gets talk going and in these talks we learn things about teams….the more we know

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Sciotodowns wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:10 pm Pfloyd: Ironton Saint Joe is #54 but beat #’s 41 & 51. Why are they 54?
Probably didn't help that they only beat East (#67) by 3.

Post by socsportsfan1 »

Sciotodowns wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:10 pm Pfloyd: Ironton Saint Joe is #54 but beat #’s 41 & 51. Why are they 54?
I would say because those are their best wins. They were both played in Ironton also. It's not like those teams are ranked significantly higher. They were blown out in 2 games against much better competition where they had a chance to prove they should be higher (even if they had been competitive). Where would you rank them?

Also pfloyd, Western is 4-6.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Love watching this young Warren team grow as a unit, Stadelman improving each and every game and him and Taylor are slowly getting back into sync with one another. I will say Lupardus and Cressey are making big strides adjusting to varsity level competition and playing to the level that they had shown last year at the JV level.
Last edited by Whs95fan on Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go Blue
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Both Western and South Gallia have been slowly working their way down the rankings from where they were when ISJ beat them ... ISJ hasn't played the schedule that will jump them up the rankings quickly ... the win by ISJ over So. Gallia was in OT/Western beat So Gallia by 27 ... the loss by Western to ISJ was early - they won 3 games in a row vs Peebles/New Boston/South Gallia (a team ISJ beat in OT - Western beat them by +27 in regulation) ... I look at good wins and good losses (if the team losing plays the higher ranked team close etc) ... I don't forget the losses or ISJ's win over Western ... ISJ needs to keep winning- they have a good stretch of 3 games vs Green/New Boston/Notre Dame - this will tell me more about how good ISJ is than the wins over Cristo Rey/East/Grace Christian/Symmes Valley ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Whs95fan wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:26 pm Love watching this young Warren team grow as a unit, Stadelman improving each and every game and him and Taylor are slowly getting back into sync with one another. I will say Lupardus and Cressey are making big strides adjusting to varsity level competition that they had shown last year at the JV level.
... they are definitely coming around as a TEAM - I've watched all of their games - the DEFENSE is outstanding ... Coach Maddox is playing 9-10 youngin's - they are getting confidence and used to the "varsity" game ... they will be a team that moves up the rankings in the 2023 portion of the season ... Taylor is playing better with his ankle injury getting "on the job" healing ... seeing scoring from some of the younger kids (they are all younger players - 10 sophomores) ... players who were playing timid are now playing stronger/more physical ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Another big game in Roundtown on Wednesday, pfloyd, with 8-1 Miami Trace visiting 6-4 Circleville in an old South Central Ohio League rivalry game. Another big measuring stick for the Tigers.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bman wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:25 pm Another big game in Roundtown on Wednesday, pfloyd, with 8-1 Miami Trace visiting 6-4 Circleville in an old South Central Ohio League rivalry game. Another big measuring stick for the Tigers.
... I've got that one penciled in on my calendar ! but I have a meeting at 5pm for my "day job" not sure I can get there in time for the varsity game ... I have the Marietta @ Vinton County Tuesday/Miami Trace @ Circleville Wednesday/Westfall @ Unioto Friday and Fairfield Union @ Bloom Carroll Saturday all on the calendar for the pfloyd tour the first week of the 2023 portion of the season ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... some quality games this week :

Monday 1/2-
Jackson @ Unioto

Tuesday 1/3 -
Alexander @ Fairfield Union
Amanda @ Athens
Gallia Academy @ Fairland
Marietta @ Vinton County

Wednesday 1/4 -
Miami Trace @ Circleville

Friday 1/6 -
Valley @ Wheelersburg
Chesapeake @ Fairland
Federal Hocking @ Trimble
Westfall @ Unioto

Saturday 1/7 -
Fairfield Union @ Bloom Carroll
North Adams @ Minford
Gallia Academy @ Marietta
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... other games of note??? ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Jackson at Unioto on Monday as a makeup from last November

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:39 am Jackson at Unioto on Monday as a makeup from last November
Whoa!!! You mean the first week of games in the 2023 half of the season is set up for me to see 5 games ?!!! … I’m liking 2023 already daniC !!! What games will SOSA be streaming ?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:45 am
danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:39 am Jackson at Unioto on Monday as a makeup from last November
Whoa!!! You mean the first week of games in the 2023 half of the season is set up for me to see 5 games ?!!! … I’m liking 2023 already daniC !!! What games will SOSA be streaming ?
Monday for sure, because we know the internet will be working there lol

Not sure after that, but I’ll be sure to post it when we get it figured out.

sportsfan33
Waterboy

Post by sportsfan33 »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:06 pm
Probably didn't help that they only beat East (#67) by 3.
Pretty sure ISJ was missing 2 starters to illness that night.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

1/6 the mysterious eastern beavers come to Webster for a homecoming. Hopefully we play that intensity we did against Clay

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens plays Amanda on Tues, not LE.

Athens vs LE is on 1/14

Return to “Boys Basketball”