Same score reported in the daily times.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Re: Friday,1/06/23 games and scores

Post by Tigernation2021 »

VetteMan wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:00 am
Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:59 pm
VetteMan wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:11 pm

I'm sure that if enough people from Waverly would just call Oak Hill, and explain how your players are having trouble shooting Free Throws, that OH would do the right thing and somehow someway try to give the game to Waverly.
No idea, what you’re talking about then again looks like you don’t either. Waverly shooting that many FT against oak hill was just straight fouls wasn’t anything that intentional. The Eastern game was the one I referenced them hacking and we couldn’t make the free throws otherwise that one would’ve been a double digit win instead of being close. Waverly has shot terrible from the line all year minus couple players, so heck yeah I’d foul too if I was the opposing team if needed. Shoot I’d use my bench guys up doing it part of basketball it’s called free for a reason.
What I'm talking about is all season mostly all you hear about the Tigers is, if this player wasn't hurt, or if this kid was playing, or if they weren't so inexperienced, now they don't practice shooting FS enough, do you think that it just might be that they are not very good this year. Believe it or not, most teams experience seasons such as this one time or the other. Also, I don't claim to be an expert like a few people that post on here.
I gotcha ya, oh no there wasn't some type of huge expectations going into this season just can't lose that much talent and expect to return to that type of level. Most levelheaded people expected we might be in that 4-6 range this year at best, I think the one thing any fan wants to see is improvement over the course of a season. Which to this point we haven't really showed that, offensively we've been in that 30 some point range basically all season with the same types of mistakes. When you say now, they don't practice FT enough keep in mind that's been the same thing said all year and when our coach is on the radio earlier in the season saying how it's on him because they haven't practiced it enough then I'm pretty sure I have to go with what he said not an assumption. Trying to remember correctly but I believe the last 2 games we've gone 5-26 against OH, 11-23 against Piketon (27 turnovers) lost by 10, Eastern Pike game, our PG who's been our since the Piketon game, goes 7-8 rest of the team goes 7-19, just a small sample size of just our last few games
Last edited by Tigernation2021 on Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

MattyIce wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:10 am Symmes Valley 49
Ports East 44

This is the score listed in the Ironton Tribune.
Thanks MI !

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:11 pm
Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:22 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:13 pm

I’d like to think I could pull 26 random people out of the stands and they could make 6+ with their eyes closed
Oh heck yeah, that was actually being said in the stands. We won’t be able to win a close game because of it just like tonight easily could’ve won by double digits. Eastern game we won by 2 and missed over a dozen FT. As they played hack a player.
I'm sure that if enough people from Waverly would just call Oak Hill, and explain how your players are having trouble shooting Free Throws, that OH would do the right thing and somehow someway try to give the game to Waverly.
No more of an OH fan than I am a Tiger fan. Did notice in my original post that the sarcasm was never noted in as much as Waverly calling OH and somehow OH being able to give the game to Waverly. Am I surprised, I guess I would have thought that would have been picked up. Regardless, it's still record wise going to be a very long year for both teams.

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

Swanker, was Roberts in foul trouble?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

MattyIce wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:05 pm Swanker, was Roberts in foul trouble?
No him and another kid from Eastern were getting wrapped up and barking at each other and they both got T’d up so they benched him till the 4th. Webster still handled them pretty easy without him all game. The few minutes he played in the first thought he scored 8 points and got hacked 3-4 more times at the basket with no call. No answer, he probably would’ve went for 35. Been coming off the bench the past few games earning that playing time

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

transplant wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:16 pm
smurray wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:11 pm
transplant wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:03 pm Oak hill 49
Waverly 41

Final. Waverly could have won had they made some free throws.
Waverly was 5 for 26 from the line - YES, 21 MISSED FT''s...

Tigers led 25-20 at the break while going 3 for 12 from the line.
That means they were 2 for 14 in the 2nd half.

Some of those misses were front ends of one and one.

Shooting 50% from the line wins this game!
Yep! Crazy. I know they work on them. But that’s just lack of concentration or something. Shew.
I don’t care how young you are - it doesn’t matter if you are playing Freshman ball, JV or Varsity - 5 for 26 FT’s is just not acceptable..

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

No one said it was. But what’s the fix?

Tigernation2021
Varsity

transplant wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:32 pm No one said it was. But what’s the fix?
Practice practice practice, once you get going in practice with a bunch of plays and running before break stop and shoot free throws while the body is tired. As soon as practice is over do it again. Also instead of our guys warming up just shooting 3s before a game which 90% of them won’t shoot or make stand on the free throw line and shoot a round of 10. Anything is better than what’s been going on, really at this point for some of them it’s probably a mental thing. If you’re going to try and play an inside game you best work on FTs because you’re going to go to the line.

Longtimer
Waterboy

Post by Longtimer »

5 for 26 ?

Agree ---- PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

Develop a routine , a rythm , nice arch , eye the hole

Practice everyday.

You HAVE to CARE !!! EACH PLAYER MUST CARE ENOUGH TO MAKE IT A PRIORITY

NEVER finish practice with a missed free throw.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

The best shooter in the SOC2 takes over 1000 shots a day practice every day year round. Practice

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I can confirm later, but Id say they are doing those things in practice. Most teams do it that way, shoot free throws when tired and at the end of practice and all that. But yes, each kid has to CARE, and want to get better on their own. Unless all these kids just have bad shooting mechanics and no amount of practice is gonna help.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

transplant wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:13 pm I can confirm later, but Id say they are doing those things in practice. Most teams do it that way, shoot free throws when tired and at the end of practice and all that. But yes, each kid has to CARE, and want to get better on their own. Unless all these kids just have bad shooting mechanics and no amount of practice is gonna help.
Wish that was the case, first thing I ask when practice is over isn’t how many 3s did you hit. I ask about how many FTs shot and made unless there’s been an uptick it was 20 a practice 2 groups of 10 shots. They film the games and watch in practice if mechanics is an issue should’ve already been addressed.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:07 pm The best shooter in the SOC2 takes over 1000 shots a day practice every day year round. Practice
Yep and Montgomery is a beast, I’d say Robertson for Waverly was shooting a ton as well year round.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Ok. I’ll ask later how many free throws they have been shooting. But yeah, seems like they need to shoot more.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Keep in mind TigerNation2021 consistently and constantly bashes coaches, so take his words with a grain of salt. Of course they practice free throws. How many kids practice shooting before or after practice? That’s on the kids. You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make them drink it.

I’ve kept my mouth shut on this topic long enough but tigernation is exactly the type of enabling parent that’s wrong with kids these days. If your kid shoots 100+ free throws a day and shoots 90% on the season, then talk. But he doesn’t, and your only out is to bash the coaches.

Leave the coaches the hell alone. If you thought you knew so much you should have applied for the job.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Wish there was a like button.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:56 pm
transplant wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:32 pm No one said it was. But what’s the fix?
Practice practice practice, once you get going in practice with a bunch of plays and running before break stop and shoot free throws while the body is tired. As soon as practice is over do it again. Also instead of our guys warming up just shooting 3s before a game which 90% of them won’t shoot or make stand on the free throw line and shoot a round of 10. Anything is better than what’s been going on, really at this point for some of them it’s probably a mental thing. If you’re going to try and play an inside game you best work on FTs because you’re going to go to the line.
Good free throw shooting is made before the season begins, not after. If the kids want to be successful during the season, they have to work at it during the off-season. Once the season begins, only limited improvement (if any) can be made with regards to shooting free throws, etc.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:36 pm Keep in mind TigerNation2021 consistently and constantly bashes coaches, so take his words with a grain of salt. Of course they practice free throws. How many kids practice shooting before or after practice? That’s on the kids. You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make them drink it.

I’ve kept my mouth shut on this topic long enough but tigernation is exactly the type of enabling parent that’s wrong with kids these days. If your kid shoots 100+ free throws a day and shoots 90% on the season, then talk. But he doesn’t, and your only out is to bash the coaches.

Leave the coaches the hell alone. If you thought you knew so much you should have applied for the job.
Exactly. Those free throws were missed years ago by lack of practice and poor shooting form by whoever taught them. TigerNation must have been a hell of a shooter!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I watched Waverly tonight. I’m putting nothing on the kids that are doing their best….and I’m also not putting it on the coaching staff.

They played hard, they were doing the best they could. Probably like 6/17 tonight (total guess) 2 were banked in.

I have a blame on this…but it’s not for here. Best of luck to the Waverly kids and coaches.

Return to “Boys Basketball”