Gallia vs Portsmouth

Geronimo
SEOP

Gallia vs Portsmouth

Post by Geronimo »

OVC match up Friday at Gallia 7:30 start !!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Gallia vs Portsmouth

Post by trojandave »

Although Portsmouth has been in the bottom half of the OVC standings for the last several years, one team that the Trojans have done well against is Gallia Academy. PHS has won 5 of the last 6 meetings, and lead the overall series 46-17. Gallia should be the favorite this year because the Trojans have been inconsistent at both ends of the court.

Big size advantage to GAHS, although in the past couple of years Portsmouth has done a good job defending Isaac Clary. Devin Lattimore is having a very good season for PHS, averaging around 20 PPG, with individual games of 29 and 27.

A win by Portsmouth (2-3 OVC) will move the Trojans ahead of GAHS (2-2 OVC) in the OVC standings.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Portsmouth is no Doubt the underdog in this game but I guess that's why they play the game , but honestly like Dave said we are struggling on both ends so to even make this a competitive game we are definitely going to have to play a lot better then previous games,and get Lattimore some help on the offensive side ,we have a couple kids that have not played up to their full potential yet this season, would be a good time to show up.

Always love watching games at Gallia,I remember when the school first opened and out first trip there ,our old buddy GAHS4ever gave us a tour of the facilities,we was late for tip off before we got back lol. He was sure proud of that place.

RIP Steve

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Man t Dave you nailed it in your first paragraph. Had our number. And the overall series numbers almost seem unreal. Wow!! Great teams in The Trojan’s past but overall I expected it somewhat closer. Recently we have played not to lose against Portsmouth. Struggled with the Trojan quickness, specifically on the defensive glass. I’m gonna miss seeing Mr Bryant on the floor this year. He was a Fun young man to watch play. Huge coach Collin’s fan also. Wouldn’t always be my approach but he knows his kids as well as any coach in our area knows their team.

In my opinion, for this Devil team to take the next step we need to do the easy things better. Use advantages to shadow shortcomings defensively. Sideline is your friend on defense, midline is the enemy. Rotate better in help D. Anticipate better offensively. Recognize mismatches better. Make entry passes before the whole gym knows it’s coming. Use each other and Give the defense a chance to make mistakes. And especially on Friday, box out better on the perimeter. Waaaay to many second chance points by the Trojans In recent years. Second chances have also resulted in unnecessary fouls. Pfloys said it best preseason, devils have been a team of potential with the exception of Isaac. Every possession matters. Win the majority of the possessions and win most games. I rather we take some lumps now tho than wait until February and March. As long as we learn from the lumps. Lol.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

4ever was all class. He is sorely missed in our community. He truly loved the Devils and also had deep respect for every opponent. Even Jackson!!

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

Gallia 91
Portsmouth 82

Does anybody play defense anymore?

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

That's alot of points anyone have a box score of this game. ?

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

DEFENSE, What about shooters, I've watched 15 games streamed this year and haven't seen a shooter in any game. Don't kids practice shooting on there own anymore . I think they show up for practice , two hours later, go home stick a cell phone in there face and that's it for basketball.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

True shooters is long hours after 500 shots practice don't end until you make 10 foul shots in a row plus true shooters are hard to come by.that was my game plan.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

MattyIce wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:05 am Gallia 91
Portsmouth 82

Does anybody play defense anymore?
To be fair, Gallia probably shot 30 free throws on the last 3 minutes of the game to get to that total. That's no exaggeration. Also, Portsmouth has some kids who can shoot the lights out! They made a valiant effort at the end of the game.

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

When you can’t shoot it, you better be able to defend it!!! If you can’t shoot it and you can’t defend it; you should probably go out for the wrestling team.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Mattyice 🏀a pure shooter needs ice running threw there veins

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

I totally agree. Have you seen any in high school basketball this year?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Last night was the 64th meeting between Gallia Academy and Portsmouth, and going back in the record book, last night's 91 points by GAHS was the most they've ever scored against PHS. The Trojans scored enough to win but you can't win giving up that many points. The Blue Devils scored against Portsmouth in every way imaginable, from fast break, points in the paint, some perimeter shooting, and a bunch of FT's.

I give props to the Trojans for fighting to the very end. They didn't quit.

Defense took the night off at Gallia Academy HS. I don't know the official totals, but there had to be at least 65-70 points scored by both teams combined in the 4th quarter. The parade to the FT line in the 4th quarter made the final 8 minutes last about 45 minutes.

Devin Lattimore had 27 points for PHS, as the Trojans had 4 in double figures, with DeAndre Berry with 18, Kenny Sanderlin with 16, and Tyler Duncan with 11. #1 on GAHS had a good game with 24 points. Lattimore is worthy of being 1st team all-OVC, with games of 29, 27, and 27 in conference play.

Portsmouth now 2-4 in the OVC, 4-6 overall, while Gallia upped its conference mark to 3-2.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Congrats to Gallia on the win!,

The Trojans have to come out and play hard from the start and stop waiting till the 4th qtrs to show up .

Franklin has always been a problem for Portsmouth and last night was no different,but last night like Trojan Dave says he got plenty of help from number 1 , sorry I didn't catch his name.

Won't get any easier on Tuesday when the Trojans head to Ironton.

Go Trojans

82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

nothing like a pure straight shooter

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

🤫

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

PHS had 44 points in the 4th! GA had 36! Insane!

meatswinger
JV Team

Post by meatswinger »

Geronimo wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:16 am True shooters is long hours after 500 shots practice don't end until you make 10 foul shots in a row plus true shooters are hard to come by.that was my game plan.
Oh wow. Let me guess. In addition to being a mediocre relay runner you also were a "pure shooter" I cant believe you werent in the Olympics in both Track and Basketball. You truly are a Legend in Your Own Mind. You should start a Hall of Fame and induct yourself. Post a few pictures for us. Your mom will be so proud.

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

BlizzardMan wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:02 pm PHS had 44 points in the 4th! GA had 36! Insane!
[/quot

Really..? Lol. Actually combined for 80 in the fourth?

Return to “Boys Basketball”