PSA: For SOC basketball fans

wobycat
SEOPS

PSA: For SOC basketball fans

Post by wobycat »

Officials are assigned by a league assigner, not by the Schools. So when you hear or make the statement that “this happens here everytime” or “here comes the cheating” Call down to the chapter assigner and talk to them about your concerns.

Yelling about calls is one thing but not understanding the process is another

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: PSA: For SOC basketball fans

Post by bbjunky81 »

Curious question…. I was told that officials can request certain games, though. Is that true?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:47 am Curious question…. I was told that officials can request certain games, though. Is that true?

I know in the OVC ,in the past a certain coach was allowed to deny a certain referee from doing their game,so there is some input who does the games?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

They must all be from Wheelersburg

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:47 am Curious question…. I was told that officials can request certain games, though. Is that true?
I know in football officials can request and officials can refuse certain games. Some officials have schools they just refuse to do a game at whether be because of the coach or fans it’s not worth it.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:02 pm They must all be from Wheelersburg
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

coop wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:45 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:02 pm They must all be from Wheelersburg
Tongue and cheek. But according to some, a lot believe that.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

No that doesn’t happen

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Super trooper wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:53 pm
No that doesn’t happen
I’m actually quite certain it DOES happen in the SOC. Do you Ref SOC games? Other league assigners may not do that but I’d like to hear from someone in the SOC if that’s even an option.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:38 pm
No that doesn’t happen
I’m actually quite certain it DOES happen in the SOC. Do you Ref SOC games? Other league assigners may not do that but I’d like to hear from someone in the SOC if that’s even an option.
I’m sure veteran squads get requests or prevalence but still, they are assigned and the school has no say.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

wobycat wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:26 pm

No that doesn’t happen
I’m sure veteran squads get requests or prevalence but still, they are assigned and the school has no say.
Yes, SOC officials are assigned.

But requesting a particular game and getting it is not the same as being assigned.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:00 pm
wobycat wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:26 pm

Yes, SOC officials are assigned.

But requesting a particular game and getting it is not the same as being assigned.
Agreed. But no school AD assigns them. My original point

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Assigners assign games in all leagues. How does it work? Not always the same in each league. Let me explain, I work in 6 leagues. The first assigner to assign games to me usually I take 4-6 games from. The second assigner then gets me and I take games on the dates I still have open 4-6 games. The next assigner then gives me games on dates that I haven’t booked games and so on. It is a race for some assigners!!! If you are the last assigner to call me you usually have very few dates to assign me. I can request a matchup or 2 or 3 etc… but if my dates are taken for those then those matchups I will not get. Some AD’s assign non league games but not many do this. Usually the better so called officials get the bigger matchups in these leagues if available on those dates.

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

I have an honest question in regards to this then. Why are so many refs who are alumni of any given school assigned to ref games for their Alma mater? Whether it be home or away. When 2 out of 3 refs are graduates from XYZ high school, (or even have kids or step-kids who actually play for the schools involved) and people are aware, it’s dang near impossible to confidently say there’s no bias. One would think in order to reassure schools/parents/fans that there’s no bias, special attention would be paid to where refs are from or where they have connections to.

I do understand there’s a referee shortage right now, and sometimes it can’t be avoided. But it seems I’ve witnessed it multiple times this season.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

wobycat wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:47 pm
Smh...lol

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Hard to beat ‘em at the burg

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

coop wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:15 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:47 pm

Smh...lol
You would think it would be a head scratcher. I sit on the away side because I don't have season tickets or skin in the game, and every league game the same comment gets said once a game, at least. At some point, I just want to clarify it to people.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

I have 8 different assigners from all over. I have SOC, TVC, OCC, MSL, and a few others and I have never been allowed to request a specific game in 10 seasons. I can request to work with a specific crew or partner at times but not all the time and if you refuse an assignment in some cases the assigner will then put a block on your day not allowing you to get any more games that day. Some not all do that. Some games get in your mailbox day of the game if someone is sick etc so its not all predetermined by any stretch

Live Like A Champion!
Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

GoIrish wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:57 am I have an honest question in regards to this then. Why are so many refs who are alumni of any given school assigned to ref games for their Alma mater? Whether it be home or away. When 2 out of 3 refs are graduates from XYZ high school, (or even have kids or step-kids who actually play for the schools involved) and people are aware, it’s dang near impossible to confidently say there’s no bias. One would think in order to reassure schools/parents/fans that there’s no bias, special attention would be paid to where refs are from or where they have connections to.

I do understand there’s a referee shortage right now, and sometimes it can’t be avoided. But it seems I’ve witnessed it multiple times this season.
I will refuse games at my home school for obvious reason alot of times but I did take a couple this year and we did a game a few years ago where my home school was beating the 3rd ranked girls team and a last second shot went through the hoop but the scoreboard op stopped the clock when it should of ran out. We didnt allow my home school a chance to get the ball as the clock should of never stopped thus ending the game. So yes we can have an impartial mindset. I was afraid to eat out around town for a few months but hey we made the right call. :D

Live Like A Champion!

Return to “Boys Basketball”