CURRANT BASKETBALL CLIMATE

transplant
SE

Re: CURRANT BASKETBALL CLIMATE

Post by transplant »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:07 pm 2013 Webster was 4 points away from another Final Four with Lance Swords on the bench the entire post season. Man what could’ve been
All he had to do was go to class and turn in some work.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

Sorry, I don't know the connection basketball and cincinnati docs.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

IMHO

The love of the game isn't the same. Kids aren't seeing as much fundamentally sound basketball on TV that they could actually replicate with their level of athleticism.

If you are over 30 years old, you didn't have nearly the options to watch on TV. Internet was limited. Sports on basic antenna TV was a staple in many households. Kids went out and worked on their game sometimes purely out of boredom. The community went to almost every game and kids looked up to the high school kids and wanted to be like them.

I can't remember the last time I saw a group of kids out playing basketball at their house. I know it still happens, but it appears to be much less.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I know that having grown up on Waller Street just how prominent that the Bannon Park basketball court was years ago. Used to be as many as 50 kids waiting to play, and there would be games until dark. This court has produced more state champions than any other court in the SE district, but today it is just a relic of the past. No one plays there anymore, even if the weather is nice. Sad to see the decline of what was once a bustling centerpiece of the North End culture.

As has been said in posts above, so many kids today don't have a love for the game and therefore don't feel the obligation to perfect their skills. They like the game enough to play on a team, with the end result at Portsmouth being not having a winning season since 2018.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

I also think AAU has caused issues with kids not playing outdoors. AAU is so watered down now that EVERYBODY can play, just give us money. Back then only top guys played AAU therefore, others had to play outside to improve their game. I see kids all the time posting state champs and going to nationals. Yes but what level AAU are they playing at? Would these kids get more productive at working on their individual skills instead of playing AAU where no defense is being played and you just run and gun?

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

trojandave wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:03 pm I know that having grown up on Waller Street just how prominent that the Bannon Park basketball court was years ago. Used to be as many as 50 kids waiting to play, and there would be games until dark. This court has produced more state champions than any other court in the SE district, but today it is just a relic of the past. No one plays there anymore, even if the weather is nice. Sad to see the decline of what was once a bustling centerpiece of the North End culture.

As has been said in posts above, so many kids today don't have a love for the game and therefore don't feel the obligation to perfect their skills. They like the game enough to play on a team, with the end result at Portsmouth being not having a winning season since 2018.

There's places like that in every town in the nation..big or small.. an its a shame...bannon...the park in ironton.. 26th st on the river In huntington.. the Scott courts.. the valley in the west end.. there was always a game somewhere... it's a darn shame..

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

The DBL in Webster is where D4 District POY are made.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Frequent Flyer
Riding the Bench

Post by Frequent Flyer »

This kids at St Jude have really played hard so far this year. The culture there must be solid.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

baseball16 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:01 pm My two cents :

Summer Shootouts and all the Extra crap is actually working against teams. Players are not working on their individual game (shooting and dribbling) instead they play 5-10 games in a day where hardly any defense is played, with the exception of Fouling all the time because a player cannot foul out in the summer. Only offense you see in the summer is Motion and teams drive and kick ! Coaches think they are doing the players and schools a justice by playing the whole month of June only to really not get anything out of it due to bad fundamentals. JMO
I personally believe you are on to something with this.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Rza1 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:03 pm
trojandave wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:03 pm I know that having grown up on Waller Street just how prominent that the Bannon Park basketball court was years ago. Used to be as many as 50 kids waiting to play, and there would be games until dark. This court has produced more state champions than any other court in the SE district, but today it is just a relic of the past. No one plays there anymore, even if the weather is nice. Sad to see the decline of what was once a bustling centerpiece of the North End culture.

There's places like that in every town in the nation..big or small.. an its a shame...bannon...the park in ironton.. 26th st on the river In huntington.. the Scott courts.. the valley in the west end.. there was always a game somewhere... it's a darn shame..
So serious question, how much of the kids don’t play there anymore have to do with the courts forcing the two federal housing projects to quit assigning housing based on race and the integration of Farley Square vs Wayne Hills. Learned about this in my law class 25 years ago. Found it very interesting.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:49 pm
baseball16 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:01 pm My two cents :

Summer Shootouts and all the Extra crap is actually working against teams. Players are not working on their individual game (shooting and dribbling) instead they play 5-10 games in a day where hardly any defense is played, with the exception of Fouling all the time because a player cannot foul out in the summer. Only offense you see in the summer is Motion and teams drive and kick ! Coaches think they are doing the players and schools a justice by playing the whole month of June only to really not get anything out of it due to bad fundamentals. JMO. I pretty much agree. You have to do a shoot out and a camp. Then have 3-4 controlled scrimmages. Then get in the gym a couple days a week and work on fundamentals and your plan for next year.
I personally believe you are on to something with this.

Return to “Boys Basketball”