CURRANT BASKETBALL CLIMATE

callie15
Varsity

CURRANT BASKETBALL CLIMATE

Post by callie15 »

I don't get to the games anymore, however I stream several games. What has happened to S E Ohio basketball. Over the years basketball has turned from a few good teams to none at all. Basketball is turning into a lost art. What happened?

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Re: CURRANT BASKETBALL CLIMATE

Post by MattyIce »

That’s a loaded question; where do you wanna start?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

callie15 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:08 am I don't get to the games anymore, however I stream several games. What has happened to S E Ohio basketball. Over the years basketball has turned from a few good teams to none at all. Basketball is turning into a lost art. What happened?
... what are you gauging " from a few good teams to none at all" on? How are you defining "good team" ? - getting to the state final four? post season as your barometer? ... "none at all"? ... individual players or TEAM ball? ... I've got "stuff" running through my head when I read your post - help me narrow down what YOU are basing your statement on callie15 because I DO SEE a lot of basketball in person (35 varsity boys games so far) AND streamed games (another 38 games) as well ... with the in-person games I make it point to see in-person "good games, between good teams" while the streamed games I try to see good games as well BUT many times the teams I watch on video are not the top teams - I've seen Clay, Crooksville, Symmes Valley, South Gallia, Manchester, Reedsville Eastern, River Valley etc. ... I SEE A LOT of TEAMS ... I'll wait to elaborate on your question BUT I've been around a long time, seen many outstanding players/teams ... every year there are outstanding "classes" of players who we all during the season and through their careers agree that they ARE IN FACT outstanding... as their senior year closes, and I watch the entire class of players across the 71 teams in SEO I ALWAYS say to myself "We'll never see players like THAT again" BUT and there is ALWAYS a BUT - BUT then the NEXT season rolls around and guess what ? there seems to be ALWAYS a NEXT class of players that are as good or better ... TEAMS - that's a different story ! TEAMS made up of players of differing classes - timing, coaching, whether they have played together for years or not , etc. ... as I said, give me a little more so I can narrow down my response ...

Unckle Ralph
Waterboy

Post by Unckle Ralph »

AAU basketball.
High school teams don’t have the same talent level as these select teams. These great high school players get looked at easier at these tournaments over the summer time from college coaches when the average player is home playing baseball or just taking the summer off. Local high school coaches have to work harder to get the average players to that level. I have watched several elite players from SE Ohio play this year and when it comes down to a needed rebound or hustle play, 9 out 10 times it’s the average player. I love basketball and the team concept and life lasting friendship that this sport brings. Support your local teams and volunteer for jr leagues to teach the fundamentals of the game. Good luck and good health to all our teams we chat up on this site.

Ovenmit
Riding the Bench

Post by Ovenmit »

Their not a southeasternohio team but I saw Centerville ohio high school play in the Ironton Classic. They were best team I've seen play in a long time. Very well coached. Fundamentals were great and played with discipline. None I've seen better around here.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The good teams were just that areas AAU team

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

You take a AAU player and bring him back to play with home town team,' he doesn't help average team, but he will drag him down with them.

Unclerico
Waterboy

Post by Unclerico »

AAU, Bad coaching, kids having better things to do and the list goes on. Just the nature of high school sports. Not all but a lot.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

My two cents :

Summer Shootouts and all the Extra crap is actually working against teams. Players are not working on their individual game (shooting and dribbling) instead they play 5-10 games in a day where hardly any defense is played, with the exception of Fouling all the time because a player cannot foul out in the summer. Only offense you see in the summer is Motion and teams drive and kick ! Coaches think they are doing the players and schools a justice by playing the whole month of June only to really not get anything out of it due to bad fundamentals. JMO

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

There’s some parts I agree on and could elaborate as to why…. but I catch myself continuously staring at the title “currant” and just can’t give this thread the attention I initially wanted to.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:20 am There’s some parts I agree on and could elaborate as to why…. but I catch myself continuously staring at the title “currant” and just can’t give this thread the attention I initially wanted to.
Getting too hungry? I keep thinking if I’ve ever had a currant

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

I agree, should have been an e instead of a a ,fingers faster than brain.

Ovenmit
Riding the Bench

Post by Ovenmit »

baseball16 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:01 pm My two cents :

Summer Shootouts and all the Extra crap is actually working against teams. Players are not working on their individual game (shooting and dribbling) instead they play 5-10 games in a day where hardly any defense is played, with the exception of Fouling all the time because a player cannot foul out in the summer. Only offense you see in the summer is Motion and teams drive and kick ! Coaches think they are doing the players and schools a justice by playing the whole month of June only to really not get anything out of it due to bad fundamentals. JMO
Wow. Totally agree. Could not have said it better myself
Take your team get in the gym and become a better fundamental team. Offendively and defensively. . Passing,dribbling shooting setting screens learn how to use a screen to get a shot. Learn proper shooting techniques. None of those things and many more are not taught in shoot outs or travel ball. The only thing that comes from all that is parents getting deep in their pockets for nothing

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

The game is evolving and currently going through some growing pains.
Offensively, you’re seeing the 3 points shot utilized more than ever. The mid range jumper is being replaced by the 3. The openness with dribbling has vastly improved. 30 years ago, you couldn’t dribble the way any basketball does today. Offenses are now being tailored to long range shots and more spread concepts rather than the traditional two post players and three outside players. The two things that I have seen that are critiques are a lot of missed layups and free throws occurring at a higher frequency. However, I am also seeing teams going back to post feeds, working on the inside-out game, post feed and relocating on the perimeter, and more creativity with passing than ever before. I’ve seen multiple teams and players use the up and under move and traditional drop step layup and those plays always make me smile.

Defensively, you used to be able to hand check on the wings and chuck/impede/slow an offensive player in the middle of the lane. Now, all of that is limited at best but players are utilizing defensive positioning and quickness over strength. It’s been an uptick in athleticism. Fundamentally, I see more kids leaving their feet on pump fakes and getting out of defensive position on jab steps but that goes back to the game evolving.

Overall, I think that the game is in a great place and it’ll continue to progress. There’s some very good teams to watch in the area and across the state. Regionally, I would watch Fairland, Valley, South Point, Portsmouth West, nearly every FAC team, and Trimble if you want to want to watch really good fundamental teams.

Whoever mentioned Centerville nailed it. They do it the right way across the board. I don’t think that the game has gotten worse regionally or overall. It’s nice seeing the game evolve. I think that there’s been really good teams in our region since 2000 as well. These teams were great but this list isn’t limited to this list as well:

2001-Eastern Meigs (Final Four)
2001-Belpre (Final Four)
2002- Whiteoak (Final Four)
2002- Eastern Brown (Final Four)
2004- South Webster (Final Four)
2004- Chesapeake (lost to Bellaire with Nate Davis and Aginew in the Regional Championship)
2005-South Webster
2005- Ironton (D3 State Runner Up)
2006-South Webster (DIV State Champs)
2006- Wheelersburg (Final Four)
2007- Western Pike
2007-Wheelersburg (Final Four)
2007-Greenfield McClain
2008-Oak Hill (Regional Runner Up)
2008- Chillicothe (DII State Champs)
2009- Oak Hill (DIV State Champs)
2009- Piketon (Final Four)
2009- Logan Elm (Final Four)
2010- Chesapeake (Final Four)
2011- Portsmouth (Final Four)
2012- Portsmouth (DIII State Runner Up)
2013- Ironton (Final Four)
2013- Warren (Final Four)
2016- Lynchburg-Clay (Final Four)
2016- John Glenn (DII State Champs)
2017- Portsmouth Clay
2017- Fairland (Final Four)
2018- Meadowbrook (Final Four)
2019- Wheelersburg
2019- Sheridan (Final Four)
2020- New Boston
2020- Jackson
2020- Fairland
2021- New Boston (Final Four)

This is even without mentioning Unioto or Vinton County, who has had amazing teams in this timeframe.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

2013 Webster was 4 points away from another Final Four with Lance Swords on the bench the entire post season. Man what could’ve been

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Cousin H
Waterboy

Post by Cousin H »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:43 am The game is evolving and currently going through some growing pains.
Offensively, you’re seeing the 3 points shot utilized more than ever. The mid range jumper is being replaced by the 3. The openness with dribbling has vastly improved. 30 years ago, you couldn’t dribble the way any basketball does today. Offenses are now being tailored to long range shots and more spread concepts rather than the traditional two post players and three outside players. The two things that I have seen that are critiques are a lot of missed layups and free throws occurring at a higher frequency. However, I am also seeing teams going back to post feeds, working on the inside-out game, post feed and relocating on the perimeter, and more creativity with passing than ever before. I’ve seen multiple teams and players use the up and under move and traditional drop step layup and those plays always make me smile.

Defensively, you used to be able to hand check on the wings and chuck/impede/slow an offensive player in the middle of the lane. Now, all of that is limited at best but players are utilizing defensive positioning and quickness over strength. It’s been an uptick in athleticism. Fundamentally, I see more kids leaving their feet on pump fakes and getting out of defensive position on jab steps but that goes back to the game evolving.

Overall, I think that the game is in a great place and it’ll continue to progress. There’s some very good teams to watch in the area and across the state. Regionally, I would watch Fairland, Valley, South Point, Portsmouth West, nearly every FAC team, and Trimble if you want to want to watch really good fundamental teams.

Whoever mentioned Centerville nailed it. They do it the right way across the board. I don’t think that the game has gotten worse regionally or overall. It’s nice seeing the game evolve. I think that there’s been really good teams in our region since 2000 as well. These teams were great but this list isn’t limited to this list as well:

2001-Belpre (Final Four)
2004- Chesapeake (lost to Bellaire with Nate Davis and Aginew in the Regional Championship)
2005-South Webster
2007- Western Pike
2007-Greenfield McClain
2017- Portsmouth Clay
2019- Wheelersburg
2020- New Boston
2020- Jackson
2020- Fairland

This is even without mentioning Unioto or Vinton County, who has had amazing teams in this timeframe.
Ya know it hasnt been that long ago that we made it to the state finals. You would think Carl Wolfe and his Racine Southern Hustlin Purple Tornadoes would at least get the respect of being on this list. The boys at Toms Butcher Shop would be really upset if they saw this list. Luckily they are all so old they dont have computers. Cmon man! Give a guy a break and include us in the list. We would probably be the best team on here.

Cousin H
Waterboy

Post by Cousin H »

1980 and 1982 Racine Southern Basketball. We were state finalists twice back when basketball was real.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Cousin H wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:24 pm
Jason Vorhees wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:43 am The game is evolving and currently going through some growing pains.

2001-Belpre (Final Four)
2005-South Webster
2007- Western Pike
2007-Greenfield McClain
2017- Portsmouth Clay
2019- Wheelersburg
2020- New Boston
2020- Jackson
2020- Fairland

Ya know it hasnt been that long ago that we made it to the state finals. You would think Carl Wolfe and his Racine Southern Hustlin Purple Tornadoes would at least get the respect of being on this list. The boys at Toms Butcher Shop would be really upset if they saw this list. Luckily they are all so old they dont have computers. Cmon man! Give a guy a break and include us in the list. We would probably be the best team on here.
I was only including from 2000 forward.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

2001-Belpre (Final Four)
2005-South Webster
2007- Western Pike
2007-Greenfield McClain
2017- Portsmouth Clay
2019- Wheelersburg
2020- New Boston
2020- Jackson
2020- Fairland

Very good post.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

callie15 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:08 am I don't get to the games anymore, however I stream several games. What has happened to S E Ohio basketball. Over the years basketball has turned from a few good teams to none at all. Basketball is turning into a lost art. What happened?
I think this question comes from the same realm as the one I heard this week at the Cincinnati hospital press conference with two doctors the day after Hamlin came back into consciousness: "How detrimental were the actions of the Bills' and Bengals' training and medical staffs?"

Return to “Boys Basketball”