Tuesday,1/10/23 games and scores

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Tuesday,1/10/23 games and scores

Post by Ironman92 »

Don’t know the foul situation but Portsmouth should’ve either had ball out of bounds late or on free throw line for one on one or bonus….

Blowing the 16 point lead is terrible but the call at the end has to be made.

Sounds like Portsmouth needs to improve their press breaker or to set up the offense after breaking the press and keeping control of the pace a bit. I wonder how many turnovers and quick shots they had the last 7 min

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Yeah it is a game of runs. But were there missed layups? Missed free throws? All I'm saying is there were other plays that were factors too, not just the glaring missed call. I guess my point is, do the other things right and not blow the lead to where the missed call isn't a factor. I agree, based on the video, it looked like a foul to me as well. The ref's were out of position and just missed it maybe? I really don't know. I guess I just have a hard time agreeing with that one call being the difference in the game. Was it at a bad time? Yes, it was. If this missed call was in the 1st quarter, would everyone still be saying it was the difference maker?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

transplant wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:59 pm Yeah it is a game of runs. But were there missed layups? Missed free throws? All I'm saying is there were other plays that were factors too, not just the glaring missed call. I guess my point is, do the other things right and not blow the lead to where the missed call isn't a factor. I agree, based on the video, it looked like a foul to me as well. The ref's were out of position and just missed it maybe? I really don't know. I guess I just have a hard time agreeing with that one call being the difference in the game. Was it at a bad time? Yes, it was. If this missed call was in the 1st quarter, would everyone still be saying it was the difference maker?
That call should have never been missed in any quarter. You have a steal and a break away layup with a trailing defender. As an official, you have to anticipate that going to be contested, especially in that moment Definitely a crucial call that possibly cost portsmouth the game, like I said, he would of still had to convert the free throws.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Ironman92: Both teams were in the double bonus. Lattimore up until that point had made about 8 or 9 of 12 FT's.

Wobycat: You are absolutely correct......that no call should not happen at any time. It was way too egregious for it not to be called. All 3 officials not calling the foul? I'm not buying any explanation to the contrary.

Shame that Lattimore was punished, not rewarded, for making a great play.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

trojandave wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:17 pm Ohbuckeye2: The difference in not making that call was that it had a direct affect on the outcome. Lattimore was going in for the game winning layup, and he was essentially tackled from behind. It is the worst no-call I've seen in many years. There were several Ironton fans I talked to after the game that even admitted that it was a foul. There's no rational explanation for the 3 officials to not make that call.

I give Ironton credit for making a great comeback, but that play at the end still could have given the Trojans the win. What is most bothersome is that Lattimore was not rewarded for making a great play, but instead was punished with a no call.

PROUD OF THE TROJANS FOR GIVING A GOOD IRONTON TEAM ALL THEY COULD HANDLE!!
I agree Dave, it should have been called, they all have a direct impact on the game. There were a lot of bad calls and missed calls both ways for both teams is all I’m saying. I don’t know where this officiating crew came from but they were terrible. Irontons radio announcer said he had never seen them before.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

From video it should have been called, yes.
Should of heard refs at the Gallia vs The Peake who kept telling Gallia players not to shove or not to hold the whole game. Did that beat Peake no, missed shots and turnovers did. Refs make the call, if my team does it call it. It wasn't just alittle hold but grabbing jerseys and arms.
My aggravation with refs is the inconsistencies of calls.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

peake71 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:58 pm From video it should have been called, yes.
Should of heard refs at the Gallia vs The Peake who kept telling Gallia players not to shove or not to hold the whole game. Did that beat Peake no, missed shots and turnovers did. Refs make the call, if my team does it call it. It wasn't just alittle hold but grabbing jerseys and arms.
My aggravation with refs is the inconsistencies of calls.

There are classes offered every year and Now I believe you can even do it online to become an official. Go to OHSAA.org and click on Officials. Learn how to become an official. There is a NEED and Shortage at this time. No better time than Now! Just saying.
To be honest, talking to the players and allowing the game to FLOW is a good thing. As long as they listen then an official should have a no call.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

I know there is a shortage of refs but if you consistently tell players to stop and they don't call the foul, after a couple maybe they will quit.
As far as going to be a ref I am a little old for that and have health issues.
The problem is this happened with Gallia more than once. A couple of years ago had two players injured because of elbows thrown , had a broken nose and the other had stitches. No call.
If we lose we lose but try to be consistent with calls. There are a few new refs I have seen and they are doing a pretty good job.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

I know there is a shortage of refs. If you are constantly telling them to stop and they dont then call the the foul. I like the flow of the game to go too but have seen where the refs are the main part of the game. If we lose we lose.
As far as being a ref, my age and health can't do it now.
There are some young refs who are trying to do a good job. Told one he was as he was a former rival ball player.
If they make a good call I tell them.
Last edited by peake71 on Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

wobycat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:49 pm
transplant wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:34 pm They lost a 16 point lead in the 4th quarter. I know you are pointing out one glaring play, but that play alone didn't lose Portsmouth the game. Maybe he would have missed the layup, who knows. Yes, looks bad I get it, but take care of other things and that play doesn't matter.
No I don't buy that either. Basketball is a game of runs. Ironton made theirs and came back. The lattimore kid made a game winning play and was fouled, intentionally fouled if you ask me to prevent the game winner, but none the less, he was defiantly fouled. This is not a bang, bang play. Kids do this all the time when they are beat from a steal. The officials should of been on top of this one.
Very easy explanation…

The game was played at Ironton. No way those refs are calling that. :)

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I like how the default response to criticizing the refs on here has always been “go sign up and be one then”. Officials have been called out for being trash since the ball was being shot into a wicker basket 🤣 it comes with the stripes.

Definitely should have been called 10/10 times

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

These refs get paid to do the job ,if they can't handle criticism they are in the wrong buisness, maybe people don't want to be a ref maybe some people don't have time because of their regular jobs or health problems or just don't want to take the heat because the money not worth it etc .

This is really bad that all 3 refs ignore the foul , probably because the clock was running out and the game could have been decided on the foul line ,that's sad!!

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

peake71 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:24 pm I know there is a shortage of refs. If you are constantly telling them to stop and they dont then call the the foul. I like the flow of the game to go too but have seen where the refs are the main part of the game. If we lose we lose.
As far as being a ref, my age and health can't do it now.
There are some young refs who are trying to do a good job. Told one he was as he was a former rival ball player.
If they make a good call I tell them.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

transplant wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:59 pm Yeah it is a game of runs. But were there missed layups? Missed free throws? All I'm saying is there were other plays that were factors too, not just the glaring missed call. I guess my point is, do the other things right and not blow the lead to where the missed call isn't a factor. I agree, based on the video, it looked like a foul to me as well. The ref's were out of position and just missed it maybe? I really don't know. I guess I just have a hard time agreeing with that one call being the difference in the game. Was it at a bad time? Yes, it was. If this missed call was in the 1st quarter, would everyone still be saying it was the difference maker?
Agree, the 25 Turnovers sure didn’t help the Trojans.
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Stats

Portsmouth 14 15 22 15 5 = 71

Ironton 15 10 13 28 11 = 77

PORTSMOUTH (4-7, 2-5): Devon Lattimore 8 0 8-14 24, Tyler Duncan 0 3 2-2 11, Kenny Sanderlin 3 0 5- 11, Noah Livingston 0 0 0-0 0, Deandre Berry 4 2 3-4 17, Donovan Bleech 0 1 0-0 3, Isaiah Lewis 0 0 0-0 0, Levaughn Cobb 0 0 0-0 0, Luke Stine 2 0 1-1 5. Totals: 23 19-27 71. 3-pt goals: 6-14. Rebounds: 4-O, 25-D = 29. Team/deadball fouls: 5. Assists: 13. Steals: 6. Turnovers: 25. Fouls: 25. Fouled out: Livingston (4:54 4th), Sanderlin (2:10 4th).

IRONTON (6-3, 4-1): Lincoln Barnes 2 0 6-9 10, Shaun Terry 1 2 0-0 8, Landon Wilson 0 1 1-2 4, Braden Schreck 10 0 9-15 29, Ethan White 7 1 1-2 18, Amari Felder 1 0 2-2 4, Tayden Carpenter 0 1 1-2 4, Bryce Markins 0 0 0-0 0. Totals: 26-59 20-32 77. 3-pt goals: 5-19. Rebounds: 11-O, 21-D = 32 (13, Schreck 8). Team/deadball rebounds: 4. Assists: 19 (Barnes, 5, Terry 5, Schreck 3, Wilson 3). Steals: 14 (White 4, Felder 4, Schreck 2, Carpenter 2). Turnovers: 11. Fouls: 19. Fouled out: Wilson (3:59 4th).

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:13 pm

Well of course no one going to say it was a difference maker in the first qtr ,the game can't end on a bad call or no call in the first qtr 😂😂😂😂😂

Even with 50 turn overs this was game point and Portsmouth more then likely walks a way with a win if the call was made correctly,if you can't see that you are not very intelligent .

You are just trying to justify your mighty Tigger's almost got beat by such a bad team

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

My point exactly, if this play happens at the end of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarter no one cares or has video of it all over the place. Just another bad call in a game of bad calls and no calls. We just see things differently and that's fine. I never said I didn't think it was a foul, just the timing of it is what makes it so glaring, not the sole factor in your trojans losing. Its ok, I just see this different and I'm fine with that. Since this is the only highlight I have seen from this game, I guess you are right that if this one call was made correctly, then the trojans would have more than likely won the game. But I'm not trying justifying anything. Also, not a tiger fan. Far from it. Oh well, moving on.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

transplant wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:59 am My point exactly, if this play happens at the end of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarter no one cares or has video of it all over the place. Just another bad call in a game of bad calls and no calls. We just see things differently and that's fine. I never said I didn't think it was a foul, just the timing of it is what makes it so glaring, not the sole factor in your trojans losing. Its ok, I just see this different and I'm fine with that. Since this is the only highlight I have seen from this game, I guess you are right that if this one call was made correctly, then the trojans would have more than likely won the game. But I'm not trying justifying anything. Also, not a tiger fan. Far from it. Oh well, moving on.
This is a glaring miss no matter which quarter. A break away take down is always noticed because it is such an easy call to make. Hand-checking, reach in, rough play in the paint, those are easier to miss or overlook (and some refs allow more contact than others), but an open court tackle is not.

This was a blatant no call by the refs. No gray whatsoever. They simply allowed the Ironton player to tackle the Portsmouth player.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:34 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:49 pm
transplant wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:34 pm They lost a 16 point lead in the 4th quarter. I know you are pointing out one glaring play, but that play alone didn't lose Portsmouth the game. Maybe he would have missed the layup, who knows. Yes, looks bad I get it, but take care of other things and that play doesn't matter.
No I don't buy that either. Basketball is a game of runs. Ironton made theirs and came back. The lattimore kid made a game winning play and was fouled, intentionally fouled if you ask me to prevent the game winner, but none the less, he was defiantly fouled. This is not a bang, bang play. Kids do this all the time when they are beat from a steal. The officials should of been on top of this one.
Very easy explanation…

The game was played at Ironton. No way those refs are calling that. :)
according to biggdowgg 2 of the 3 Refs are from Portsmouth lol.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Pinwheel wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:58 pm
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:13 pm

Well of course no one going to say it was a difference maker in the first qtr ,the game can't end on a bad call or no call in the first qtr 😂😂😂😂😂

Even with 50 turn overs this was game point and Portsmouth more then likely walks a way with a win if the call was made correctly,if you can't see that you are not very intelligent .

You are just trying to justify your mighty Tigger's almost got beat by such a bad team
What’s crazy is that 2 of the 3 Refs are from Portsmouth lol, as I told Trojandave, it should have been called a foul.

Return to “Boys Basketball”