SOC II - Mid Season

transplant
SE

Re: SOC II - Mid Season

Post by transplant »

Never said they were doing anything right, just saying they aren't winning 7-8 games this year, even with Travis.

But I agree, I'm impressed with Burg as well. Coach Prater put together an experienced staff and seems like the kids are buying in and playing hard. I know some people weren't impressed with the hire of Coach Prater, but so far so good.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

transplant wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:27 am Never said they were doing anything right, just saying they aren't winning 7-8 games this year, even with Travis.

But I agree, I'm impressed with Burg as well. Coach Prater put together an experienced staff and seems like the kids are buying in and playing hard. I know some people weren't impressed with the hire of Coach Prater, but so far so good.
Coach Prater is really, really good. Home run hire.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

wobycat wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:30 am
transplant wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:27 am Never said they were doing anything right, just saying they aren't winning 7-8 games this year, even with Travis.

Seems to be. They will be alright. Will be a tough team to face in the tournament for sure.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:45 am 10-0 Minford
7-3 Valley
5-3 Northwest
4-3 Wheelersburg
5-4 South Webster
4-6 Eastern Pike
3-8 West
2-7 Oak Hill
1-8 Waverly

Is this accurate? Might be off a game or two for some teams. Let me know what edits need made and I will change them.

I believe Burg is now 7-3 in league with 1st Northwest game still needing made up. They made up the 1st Oak Hill game.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:07 am
transplant wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:49 am I agree, even with Robertson, or whoever you want to coach them, Waverly isn't winning 7-8 games this year.
Agree with you and Crab. Whoever thinks this Waverly team is a 7-8 win team in this conference with their schedule is delusional ---- and most likely a parent. The league is very stout this year. Waverly is extremely short on talent.
transplant wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:50 am Northwest is 5-3 in conference play, i think.
Fixed, thank you.
Most likely a parent?? That’s funny most who are close to the program knew this wasn’t a 7-8 win team going into the season those saying that were ppl who don’t know the program and just going off last several years accomplishments. Realistically most figured 4-5 wins at best, very young talent that needs to develop and like you said the league is a beast this year, just wrong year to be way down and transition into an entirely different coaching staff none stuck around. Piketon was a winnable game but 27 turnovers and didn’t adjust to the zone, oak hill another winnable game but went 5/26 from FT line.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

wobycat wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:30 am

Thought this exact thing as i watched him work the timeouts and sidelines during Waverly game, excellent hire by burg guy will win a lot of games for as long as he wants to be there.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Losing Nibert vs Piketon/West/Oak Hill/Jackson didn't help much. Is he the only starter that would start for other SOC teams?

They said on the radio they are 42% on the year from the free throw line. That has to be the worst in the state?

Good luck to anyone that takes a team with 0 players with previous varsity experience and plays the Tigers schedule this year.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

AnkleBraces wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:26 pm

Losing Nibert vs Piketon/West/Oak Hill/Jackson didn't help much. Is he the only starter that would start for other SOC teams?

They said on the radio they are 42% on the year from the free throw line. That has to be the worst in the state?

Good luck to anyone that takes a team with 0 players with previous varsity experience and plays the Tigers schedule this year.
No, losing players like they have isn't helping either. Not a great situation to come into, no experience coming back, whole new staff, tough schedule, first year head coaching job, gonna be tough for sure. 42% ouch, I think even you shot better than that in school didn't you?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:20 pm
transplant wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:49 am I agree, even with Robertson, or whoever you want to coach them, Waverly isn't winning 7-8 games this year.
Agree with you and Crab. Whoever thinks this Waverly team is a 7-8 win team in this conference with their schedule is delusional ---- and most likely a parent. The league is very stout this year. Waverly is extremely short on talent.
transplant wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:50 am Northwest is 5-3 in conference play, i think.
Fixed, thank you.
Most likely a parent?? That’s funny most who are close to the program knew this wasn’t a 7-8 win team going into the season those saying that were ppl who don’t know the program and just going off last several years accomplishments. Realistically most figured 4-5 wins at best, very young talent that needs to develop and like you said the league is a beast this year, just wrong year to be way down and transition into an entirely different coaching staff none stuck around. Piketon was a winnable game but 27 turnovers and didn’t adjust to the zone, oak hill another winnable game but went 5/26 from FT line.
Can't have that many turnovers or miss free throws and get the win. 4-5 wins would have been more realistic. More realistic with a different non conference schedule, but I think that will look different next year. Do you think current coach with adjust some things for next year? Think he has learned anything from his first year as a head coach? Expect anything different next year?

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

transplant wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:33 pm

No, losing players like they have isn't helping either. Not a great situation to come into, no experience coming back, whole new staff, tough schedule, first year head coaching job, gonna be tough for sure. 42% ouch, I think even you shot better than that in school didn't you?
😜

Sadly, I shot higher % from 3 than that. Hate to see Tigers numbers from there. Several 1/15+ games on the season.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

AnkleBraces wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:50 pm
transplant wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:33 pm

😜

Sadly, I shot higher % from 3 than that. Hate to see Tigers numbers from there. Several 1/15+ games on the season.
Haha. Yeah, the tigers have not been great on offense this year. Hope the young coach can get them in the gym this summer and improve on things. He may need to rethink his concepts as well.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Think Waverly has an undefeated team in Jr High don’t they?

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:36 pm Think Waverly has an undefeated team in Jr High don’t they?
Not sure about undefeated, but at least the 8th grade group has some athletes and are pretty good basketball players. But not sure any are ready to step into a varsity role next year?

Tigernation2021
Varsity

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:36 pm Think Waverly has an undefeated team in Jr High don’t they?
Not sure if they’re undefeated thought maybe 1 loss not sure have 2-4 really nice basketball players there probably see at least 1 the Russell boy up on varsity next year

Tigernation2021
Varsity

transplant wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:43 pm

Fixed, thank you.
Can't have that many turnovers or miss free throws and get the win. 4-5 wins would have been more realistic. More realistic with a different non conference schedule, but I think that will look different next year. Do you think current coach with adjust some things for next year? Think he has learned anything from his first year as a head coach? Expect anything different next year?
Changes will be made between now and next season Callihan seems fine but he’s got to get some knowledgeable help around him. Also it’ll be interesting to see if the 2-3 players that would’ve really helped decide to play next year. If changes aren’t made they won’t be out and we’ll lose 3-4 other players to boot.

We’ll be fine eventually, hopefully, but we’ve just been spoiled there’s very few teams and none this year that can make the run we had last season. Just time to take our licks

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

As stated and continues to be stated, Waverly was a 4-5 win team with Hudson Kelly & Nibert healthy. Ends up Kelly lost for the season and Nibert out a few games and probably still not 100%. Nibert was out much of last season so he didn’t have much experience as a sophomore.
Some other kids played with them over the summer and ended up not playing - that hurts as well.
People expecting major improvement and 7-8 wins are delusional. It would be nice to see some improvement but you can’t change some of this stuff overnight.
We all know who is missing the FT’s. They must get one on one training every day from someone who can actually correct the issue. It’s not just a lack of concentration when you are going 0-8 from the line and most of them not even close. And just shooting FT’s in practice everyday obviously isn’t correcting the issue.
I remember Coach Hobbs spending time with Harrison Martin correcting his FT shooting - a 1,000 point scorer. It doesn’t happen overnight.
Somebody needs to take some of these kids under their wings with some of that one on one training - not just for FT’s. BASICS OF THE GAME.
BUT No, it’s easier I guess to blame Coach Callihan for it all.
There isn’t an easy fix to this years Waverly Tigers. It’s just a bad bad situation that got worse as the season approached…
I’m sure Coach Callihan is overwhelmed with how everything has transpired and maybe just maybe instead of blaming and bashing him, folks could offer to lend a hand.

The 8th grade team is not undefeated but is very good and athletic with some nice length.
The 7th grade team I believe is undefeated and according to some may be as good as the class Waverly just lost to graduation and went the Final 4.
The 7th & 8th grade classes should compliment each other once they get to High School and I see a few of them playing varsity as sophomores and freshmen.

I do agree, it may not get much better next year depending on who plays - or who doesn’t play.
If some kids who didn’t play comes out and the kids this year stick with it, work on their game, get stronger, basketball smart, and improve, we should see a much better team.

This year isn’t over yet so these kids will keep fighting, scratching, clawing and working hard to improve - and we will support them as they do….

123xxx
Freshman Team

Post by 123xxx »

Smurray - yep on all accounts…spot on! Pretty simple, Coach Robertson knew it was total rebuild in a really talented league. It’ll take about 3 more years. This isn’t college, no transfer portal here. Support your team!

allaboutsports
Riding the Bench

Post by allaboutsports »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:15 pm
transplant wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:43 pm

Changes will be made between now and next season Callihan seems fine but he’s got to get some knowledgeable help around him. Also it’ll be interesting to see if the 2-3 players that would’ve really helped decide to play next year. If changes aren’t made they won’t be out and we’ll lose 3-4 other players to boot.

We’ll be fine eventually, hopefully, but we’ve just been spoiled there’s very few teams and none this year that can make the run we had last season. Just time to take our licks
Been told Waverly will make changes by reliable source
And
Winnable games
1. Piketon 2 Hillsboro. 3 eastern 4 eastern 5 west 6 west 7 oak hill 8 oak hill 9 Waterford
Waverly could of win 6-7 of those games
What drives me crazy is the 2 assistant coaches always talking bad about Callahan the kids say Callahan will tell them to do something and the 2 assistants contradict everything he says. Callahan may have been ok with people on bench with him that know the game and want to help.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Good points Smurray and 123xxx, and others. Waverly was definitely in a rebuild year, no matter what.

Sounds like Callahan needs to evaluate his help in the off season and surround himself with better help? I'm not close to the program, so I'm not sure who the assistants are or what they bring to the table. But Hope he gets things back to where Waverly is competitive.

Seen it all
Waterboy

Post by Seen it all »

Hopefully Minford is going on long tourney run

Return to “Boys Basketball”