Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Minford will lose to Wheelersburg in the Semi’s or district finals 🤣

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
JTEK
All State

Re: SOC II - Mid Season

Post by JTEK »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:16 pm Minford will lose to Wheelersburg in the Semi’s or district finals 🤣
Believe that happened back in mid 90’s
Minford won SOC and beat burg twice and lost in tourney

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Burg put them out last season didnt they?

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:54 pm Burg put them out last season didnt they?
Yes

bearcat12
Waterboy

Post by bearcat12 »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:10 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:36 pm Think Waverly has an undefeated team in Jr High don’t they?
Not sure if they’re undefeated thought maybe 1 loss not sure have 2-4 really nice basketball players there probably see at least 1 the Russell boy up on varsity next year
Waverly had a lot of really good athletes come through during Robertson tenure. The problem he had was most were not really dedicated to basketball. That changed with the class last year and it paid off. Jake Kretzer class had a lot of dedication to basketball. It paid off. Keeping kids in the gym and playing lots of ball in off season has been an issue at Waverly. Are these jr high kids basketball players or really good athletes? Makes a big difference in high school.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bearcat12 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:45 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:36 pm Think Waverly has an undefeated team in Jr High don’t they?
Not sure if they’re undefeated thought maybe 1 loss not sure have 2-4 really nice basketball players there probably see at least 1 the Russell boy up on varsity next year
Waverly had a lot of really good athletes come through during Robertson tenure. The problem he had was most were not really dedicated to basketball. That changed with the class last year and it paid off. Jake Kretzer class had a lot of dedication to basketball. It paid off. Keeping kids in the gym and playing lots of ball in off season has been an issue at Waverly. Are these jr high kids basketball players or really good athletes? Makes a big difference in high school.
How do the spring and fall coaches get along with the winter coaches? That could be an issue on why a lot of kids fall off from basketball while the other two major sports seem to never struggle with numbers

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

I don't necessarily know that I agree with that in entirely just because Trey and Mark I believe were the only 2 guys doing AAU stuff and really hooping it up throughout the summer. That class was just a VERY talented class and you can see that in what they did both on the football field and the basketball court, but anytime you've got a guy like Trey leading the way it's kind of like Myles for Minford now, you've always got a shot at winning and you've got a court general navigating it all. In terms of the JR high guys the Russell boy is solely basketball AAU I heard he was a beast this past summer so if we want to just say is he a basketball guy yeah he is. I don't think in this day and age though you can label athletes especially in small schools to being just one or the other all sports need those guys to come out.
Last edited by Tigernation2021 on Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:01 am

How do the spring and fall coaches get along with the winter coaches? That could be an issue on why a lot of kids fall off from basketball while the other two major sports seem to never struggle with numbers
The coaches actually get along better now than they ever did when Travis was coaching. Travis and the football coaches simply butted heads non-stop, so for sure that has nothing to do with it this season. There is 1 possibly 2 major problems that will be fixed this off-season and hopefully that'll help get them back to where they're looking to go much faster.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Minford has always been high on hyperbole and low on results. It doesn't matter if it is basketball, football or baseball. They can't get out of their own way. Players they have; they lack credible leadership at the top.

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:31 am
danicalifornia wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:01 am

The coaches actually get along better now than they ever did when Travis was coaching. Travis and the football coaches simply butted heads non-stop, so for sure that has nothing to do with it this season. There is 1 possibly 2 major problems that will be fixed this off-season and hopefully that'll help get them back to where they're looking to go much faster.
Seems crazy that people in the community seem to know of 1 or 2 problems that will be fixed this off season. Either the coach is telling people this already or school officials are. Doesn’t seem like a good situation either way IMO. Mid season is a strange time for something like this to be discussed.

bearcat12
Waterboy

Post by bearcat12 »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:21 am

I don't necessarily know that I agree with that in entirely just because Trey and Mark I believe were the only 2 guys doing AAU stuff and really hooping it up throughout the summer. That class was just a VERY talented class and you can see that in what they did both on the football field and the basketball court, but anytime you've got a guy like Trey leading the way it's kind of like Myles for Minford now, you've always got a shot at winning and you've got a court general navigating it all. In terms of the JR high guys the Russell boy is solely basketball AAU I heard he was a beast this past summer so if we want to just say is he a basketball guy yeah he is. I don't think in this day and age though you can label athletes especially in small schools to being just one or the other all sports need those guys to come out.
Not saying not to play other sports. One should shoot enough in off season to at least make a free throw. I also watched several of Robertson’s team struggle to shoot the rock also. Overall knowledge of the game and playing hard helped the team last year but let’s be honest, did one feel good about anyone but Trey taking an outside shot in the tournament last year? Guts and a will to win was the difference in last year’s team. Waverly has struggled to score for a while now.

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

FIDO wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:21 am Minford has always been high on hyperbole and low on results. It doesn't matter if it is basketball, football or baseball. They can't get out of their own way. Players they have; they lack credible leadership at the top.
That’s an interesting point of view. 🤔🤔 Tell us more!!!

Tigernation2021
Varsity

bearcat12 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:34 am
Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:21 am

Not saying not to play other sports. One should shoot enough in off season to at least make a free throw. I also watched several of Robertson’s team struggle to shoot the rock also. Overall knowledge of the game and playing hard helped the team last year but let’s be honest, did one feel good about anyone but Trey taking an outside shot in the tournament last year? Guts and a will to win was the difference in last year’s team. Waverly has struggled to score for a while now.
Yeah but you said last years team were dedicated basketball players and outside of Trey and Mark that wasn't the case. Guts and will to win was the difference in last year's team vs what this years? Nah, Trey being the best player in southern ohio, Will grabbing double digit rebounds every single game just overall ability and coaching were the difference in that team. When those kids were in 7th/8th grade everyone was waiting to see how far they'd go and they went far, plain and simple just a very talented group.

bearcat12
Waterboy

Post by bearcat12 »

Talent wise I would say Jake Kretzers sophomore, junior and senior teams were more talented than last year but last years team seemed to have a refuse to lose attitude. I would also say if you take Robertson’s coaching last year and let him coach Kretzers teams they would have been very good. I feel Robertson got a lot better through the years. JMO. Good luck the rest of the year to the Tigers.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

About to wrap up. Northwest vs Burg is going to be interesting. I think Burg can pull an upset on valley or minford in the second matchup.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:17 am About to wrap up. Northwest vs Burg is going to be interesting. I think Burg can pull an upset on valley or minford in the second matchup.
burg needs to learn how to close out tight games. I think they could have won every game they have played this yr just couldnt finish

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

fbnut wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:27 am
wobycat wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:17 am About to wrap up. Northwest vs Burg is going to be interesting. I think Burg can pull an upset on valley or minford in the second matchup.
burg needs to learn how to close out tight games. I think they could have won every game they have played this yr just couldnt finish
Not having a true go-to guy on offense is Burg's main issue in crunch time of big games. Wright has shown glimpses of being that guy (35 against Valley, 20 against Webster), but has also disappeared some games. When he is scoring, Burg is tough to beat with their athleticism and physical play.

Still, Prater has done a heck of a job with this group. Would not be surprised at all to see Burg playing for a D3 District Championship.*

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:15 pm
fbnut wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:27 am
Not having a true go-to guy on offense is Burg's main issue in crunch time of big games. Wright has shown glimpses of being that guy (35 against Valley, 20 against Webster), but has also disappeared some games. When he is scoring, Burg is tough to beat with their athleticism and physical play.

Still, Prater has done a heck of a job with this group. Would not be surprised at all to see Burg playing for a D3 District Championship.*
Agree with everything you said and yes Prater has done a heck of a job. Great hire by burgs Administration

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Burg with a tough last 4 games...they can really turn some heads with 3-1 record over those 4.

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

Prater should be SOC coach of the year he did a great job.

Return to “Boys Basketball”