TVC Ohio Assigner

Dundas
SEOPS

TVC Ohio Assigner

Post by Dundas »

Does anyone know who the assigner is for officials for the TVC Ohio? Also, what is the thought process behind which official gets what game? Are there any stipulations such as an alumni of a school or a business owner in a certain community? I realize the number of officials are scarce but are there any guidelines that are followed when assigning or is it just whoever wants it, gets it?

Pat
Varsity

Re: TVC Ohio Assigner

Post by Pat »

Dundas wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:44 am Does anyone know who the assigner is for officials for the TVC Ohio? Also, what is the thought process behind which official gets what game? Are there any stipulations such as an alumni of a school or a business owner in a certain community? I realize the number of officials are scarce but are there any guidelines that are followed when assigning or is it just whoever wants it, gets it?
Anyone who says that the AD’s and coaches don’t have a say in what officials get assigned a game is very naive or just lying. The main guideline is the coach or AD get the final say. That’s why you see locals and school employees doing games.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Pat wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:14 am
Dundas wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:44 am Does anyone know who the assigner is for officials for the TVC Ohio? Also, what is the thought process behind which official gets what game? Are there any stipulations such as an alumni of a school or a business owner in a certain community? I realize the number of officials are scarce but are there any guidelines that are followed when assigning or is it just whoever wants it, gets it?
Anyone who says that the AD’s and coaches don’t have a say in what officials get assigned a game is very naive or just lying. The main guideline is the coach or AD get the final say. That’s why you see locals and school employees doing games.
That's not true. The TVC uses an assigner and I can promise you no coaches have his number or even talk to him on a personal level. He has a massive list of games from junior high to freshmen to JV to varsity to assign officials to and does a lot more than just the TVC.

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:37 am
That's not true. The TVC uses an assigner and I can promise you no coaches have his number or even talk to him on a personal level. He has a massive list of games from junior high to freshmen to JV to varsity to assign officials to and does a lot more than just the TVC.
WRONG! Coaches and AD’s have final say. But you keep pushing that narrative if you want. Some of us know the truth though.

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

Pat wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:59 am

WRONG! Coaches and AD’s have final say. But you keep pushing that narrative if you want. Some of us know the truth though. I just saw a lower level coach doing a game this week at the school he coaches at LOL.

Leave No Doubt
Riding the Bench

Post by Leave No Doubt »

Daniel Otto set up this whole thing. I bet he has a red phone in his office that goes directly to the ASSigner

LEAVE NO DOUBT, TORNADOES!
Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

WRONG! Coaches and AD’s have final say. But you keep pushing that narrative if you want. Some of us know the truth though.
Wrong. Coaches and ADs have no say

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

Super trooper wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:14 am

Wrong. Coaches and ADs have no say
I can guarantee you they do. But stay blind my friend. LOL

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

Just to enlighten the two of you on here who blindly accept that the coach/AD has no say in the officials, I can tell you that I know of a few officials who have been told they can’t do games at certain schools. When asked why they were told it’s at the request of the school. So, who do you think made the requests if not the coach and/or AD? I’ve also seen officials do games in football and basketball at the schools where they are employed. Just a few examples, I could go on. I’m much closer to this than most. And to say having an assigner guarantees random assignments of officials is extremely naive.

captin midnight
Waterboy

Post by captin midnight »

I believe this post was created because Vinton County didn't like losing last night. Forget that the team didn't play up to its potential and rather let's blame it on the officials. Reason #1 there is a official shortage for all high school sports.

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

captin midnight wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:36 am I believe this post was created because Vinton County didn't like losing last night. Forget that the team didn't play up to its potential and rather let's blame it on the officials. Reason #1 there is a official shortage for all high school sports.
I don’t care who won what. Just stating what I know to be true. Not bashing officials either.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Pat wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:42 am
captin midnight wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:36 am I believe this post was created because Vinton County didn't like losing last night. Forget that the team didn't play up to its potential and rather let's blame it on the officials. Reason #1 there is a official shortage for all high school sports.
I don’t care who won what. Just stating what I know to be true. Not bashing officials either.
I have hung out with the person who assigns for the TVC on numerous occasions. I guess its possible for an AD to "request" that certain officials not be assigned to any of their games, but at the end of the day, he has hundreds of games and a ton of different officials to assign and really doesn't give a rats a** what anyone requests or tells him to do. It's a pretty complex job and when you throw in the shortage of officials (and Covid recently) he's gotta put officials whereever he can.

WildManWill
Waterboy

Post by WildManWill »

The three officials in last nights Wellston Vs VC game was one of the better crews in the area. Kevin Schwartzel, Nate Curley and I believe Mr. Diaz (first name slips my mind) all have years of experience at some of the highest levels of sports.

From re-watching the game on BMG this morning the biggest thing that stuck out to me was VC stayed in a very aggressive man to man defense all game last night, you are going to be called for a lot fouls with this style of play especially as the game went on and tempers flared.

The two calls I seen as questionable were the travel on Garret Brown at the basket and the foul on VC when Cyan Ervin was bringing the ball up the court in a hurry. On the Garret brown call if you really watch his feet you can see a slight shuffle of his feet as he tried to jump into Cyan to draw the foul. With that being said I find it hard to believe it was noticeable in real time because it was so quick and in real time it looks like it should have been a foul on Cyan.

The second game altering call was the VC foul on Cyan when he was hustling up the court. You can clearly see him dribble directly in front of the VC kid knowing that kid wouldn’t be able to stop his momentum and would make contact with him. Heads up play by Cyan? Absolutely but, was there actually enough contact? Questionable.. as the kid from VC actually did a good job stopping his momentum.

With all that being said I felt the game overall was called ok and if someone wants to really complain you can go to OHSAA.org and look up what it takes to be a ref and go out there and do it.

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

Doesn’t sound like a Wellston homer crew but I wasn’t there. Schwartzel does the big time stuff and sometimes when he does the games locally he seems to CONSISTENTLY give the “iffy looking” anticipation type foul on players coming into the lane or driving. If that was the case that’s adjustable because he’s consistent.

I’m surprised this game was within 20 points. Wellston had to have played well and Vinton County must’ve lost their cool or something. Again though I never watched any of it.TVC Ohio not showing much strength.

GRFan
Varsity

Post by GRFan »

Both teams played great. Watch it on BMG media

Auntyjp
Waterboy

Post by Auntyjp »

That’s a funny statement, does anyone like losing 😂

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Uses an assigner and had the best crew last night in Wellston. Seems like Ervin is red hot right now

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

So basically it’s whoever wants it, gets it. If being an assigner is such a hard job and that’s the excuse for hiring hometown officials, what’s the point of an assigner? Maybe the TVC would be better off without one?

Hoopdream
Waterboy

Post by Hoopdream »

Who was the hometown official?

GRFan
Varsity

Post by GRFan »

Which Ref do think is connected? I am pretty sure none of them are. One resembled a local restaurant owner but it was not him.

Return to “Boys Basketball”