Friday, 1/20/23 games and scores

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Friday, 1/20/23 games and scores

Post by danicalifornia »

Happy2bhere wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:42 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:35 pm Fairfield 60- Manchester 49. Greyhounds hung tough.
Manchester played hard and probably shot over 60%.
For the first time this year I'm going to complain about the officials.
And I'm just going to leave it at that. Fairfield fought through it and still got the win.
Can’t comment on the officials since I wasn’t there, but after watching Manchester is person a couple of weeks ago, I was impressed with them despite their record. To me, they showed the quality of the SHAC when I saw them.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

mikepike wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:22 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:59 pm
mikepike wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:51 pm Piketon falls to Unioto 65-55. Red Streaks were up 16 in the 3rd, but the pressure from the Shermans took its toll.

Question: has anyone ever heard of a technical foul being rescinded 3 minutes after it was called? Unioto coach gets the T, then convinces one official that he wasn’t directing his displeasure toward the official who T’d him up. The officials talk about it, then at the next Sherman foul, tell us at the table that the technical has been rescinded.
Never seen it. At least they left the points on the board from the made FTs, but that was strange

Piketon’s zone was really, really good tonight. All 10 starters from tonight will be back next year. Both teams will be improved record wise next year and are both much better than they were in the summer

Also, this was win #250 for Coach Hoops.
We couldn’t believe it when the official said the technical was rescinded. Coach Hoops couldn’t believe it either. He was shocked, actually. Don’t know if it made any impact on the game, but definitely a first.
Could it be the fact that the technical foul was just rescinded from Coach Hoops record, and that everything else stands as called?

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:17 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:35 pm Fairfield 60- Manchester 49. Greyhounds hung tough.
And I'm just going to leave it at that. Fairfield fought through it and still got the win.
Can’t comment on the officials since I wasn’t there, but after watching Manchester is person a couple of weeks ago, I was impressed with them despite their record. To me, they showed the quality of the SHAC when I saw them.
Manchester is really young. Playing mostly sophmores and freshman. The freshman were very good as 8th graders. Very scrappy team.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

VetteMan wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:35 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:59 pm

Never seen it. At least they left the points on the board from the made FTs, but that was strange

Piketon’s zone was really, really good tonight. All 10 starters from tonight will be back next year. Both teams will be improved record wise next year and are both much better than they were in the summer

Also, this was win #250 for Coach Hoops.
We couldn’t believe it when the official said the technical was rescinded. Coach Hoops couldn’t believe it either. He was shocked, actually. Don’t know if it made any impact on the game, but definitely a first.
Could it be the fact that the technical foul was just rescinded from Coach Hoops record, and that everything else stands as called?
The technical was rescinded and the team foul was taken away. The 2 points Piketon had scored on the free throws were left on the scoreboard. The officials overall did a pretty good job. Sure, there were some calls/no calls that were missed. But this single incident was definitely a first. No one that I have spoken to has ever seen it happen.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

mikepike wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:54 am

The technical was rescinded and the team foul was taken away. The 2 points Piketon had scored on the free throws were left on the scoreboard. The officials overall did a pretty good job. Sure, there were some calls/no calls that were missed. But this single incident was definitely a first. No one that I have spoken to has ever seen it happen.
I’ve actually seen a technical rescinded before, an official completely misunderstood what a coach said and did the right thing and corrected it. It was strange, but it was the right thing to do.

Now I’ve definitely never seen or heard of a technical being rescinded and the free throws counting. That’s…. odd ?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
inOVCsider
Riding the Bench

Post by inOVCsider »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:47 am
mikepike wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:54 am

I’ve actually seen a technical rescinded before, an official completely misunderstood what a coach said and did the right thing and corrected it. It was strange, but it was the right thing to do.

Now I’ve definitely never seen or heard of a technical being rescinded and the free throws counting. That’s…. odd ?
I witnessed a technical being rescinded and it was one of the worst calls I have ever witnessed. Two kids from opposite teams were scrambling for a loose ball. The whistle blows and and a jump ball is called. After both kids let go of the ball player from team A punched the player from team B in the face. A ref calls a technical as everyone rushes to break it up. The refs huddle and bring the coaches together and inform them that there will be no technical. After the game the official who called the technical told an assistant coach from team B that he didn't want the kid to have to sit out the next game.

Coach Kennedy
Riding the Bench

Post by Coach Kennedy »

A little perspective to consider to say that they fought through officiating:

Fairfield had 10 free throw attempts.
Manchester had 9 free throw attempts. (4 of which came from technical fouls assessed on 2 Fairfield players)

To insinuate that the officiating kept this game close is inaccurate.

Return to “Boys Basketball”