The Dave Young Classic - 9 years of success

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

The Dave Young Classic - 9 years of success

Post by pfloyd »

The 9th Annual Dave Young Classic IS and SHOULD BE a hoops destination for ALL high school basketball fans! well run, very good lineup of games (7 varsity games, 6 boys 1 girls), all for $8 bucks ... no lapses between games, on schedule throughout the day - only my 2nd time to attend (last season & this year - mainly due to weather issues traveling from Logan in Hocking county over the years) BUT I highly recommend this 1 day event that honors the late Coach Dave Young who passed in February of 2012. Coach Young was at the helm of the Green Devils for 24 seasons (27 total as a head coach) accumulating 403 wins vs 189 losses ... my hat goes off to North Adams High School, the North Adams sports boosters and the Young Family for putting on an outstanding show to honor Coach Young and raise money for scholarships ...

... a 2 hour drive each direction from Logan, almost 12 hours of basketball , 7 games (I made it Saturday for 6 and 1/4 games) ... my kind of day!!!

Game #1:
West Union 54
Portsmouth Clay 51 a final

Both teams entered the game as End Table Teams in the Elite 8 rankings , both teams were winless West Union 0-9, Portsmouth Clay 0-10 ... someone was going to leave North Adams with a W ! The envelope please - and for the win it is - West Union ! holding on, after losing an 11 point advantage, as everyone breath was held as a potential game tying 3 ball by Malachi Loper banged off the rim as time ran out ... West Union 54 Portsmouth Clay 51 a final ... The Dragons have been on the bottom of the 71 team field in the SE District for over a year with 0 wins - Congratulations! to Coach Stricklett and the Dragons!

Game #2:
Eastern Pike 59
Ripley 42 a final

First thing "I" think of when I think of Eastern Pike is - 3 pointers - high scoring games vs Minford in a loss 72-84, then a double OT win vs Valley 96-92 ... but the Eagles have a nice offensive TEAM with a good 6-3 freshman post player in the paint (Brewer Tomlison), that plays IN THE PAINT, solid from block to block, strong, thick - dependable down low at both ends of the floor - the young big man had 14 points on the day for Coach Leist ... EHS was 0/9 from outside the 3 point line on the game ... this one was tight through the opening 2 quarters Ripley with the lead 11-10 after 1, Eastern up 22-19 at intermission ... scoring for Eastern Pike - Tomlison 6 pts/senior Neil Leist 7/jr. TJ Richards 6/Tucker Leist 2/ Jace White 1 on 1/2 from the FT line ... for the Ripley Jays Ty Fyffe 9/Ansh Singh 7/Chayston Sheilds 2/Kaiden Barkley 1 ... the 2nd half was all Eastern as the more consistent TEAM that relied on getting the ball into the paint got the advantage ... Eastern outscored Ripley 35-23 ... the Jays went 2/12 from behind the arc while the Eagles played half court basketball only taking 2 triples in the last 2 qtrs/ ONLY 3 in the last 3 qtrs! - instead get the ball into the paint/get to the rim ... as Jace White 6-3 got the rim for 14 points/Tomlison 8 more pts (14 for the game)/ Richards 7 pt in the final 2 periods/ Tucker Leist adding 2 more points/ Sherman Salisbury 2/2 from the line ... the 3rd quarter was the quarter that did Ripley in as the Jays went 1/8 from 3 point land ... only 3 fgs in the period 9 points ... losing the period 9-18 ... 2nd half scoring Sheilds 8 pts/Ty Fyffe 4 pts/K. Barkley 4pts/Blake Fyffe 3 on a triple/ Jayden Bartley 2/2 from the line ... Eastern Pike 57 Ripley 42 a final ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Ripley

Scoring ... Ty Fyffe 13, Chayston Sheilds 10, Ansh Singh 7, Kaiden Barkley 5, Blake Fyffe 3, Izayah Goin 2
3 Pointers ... 3/18 ... Ty Fyffe 1, Kaiden Barkley 1, Blake Fyffe 1
FTs ... 9/15
TOs ... 11
PnP ... 9 fgs/ 18 points in the paint
PnT ... 0
Pbk ... 1 fg/ 2 points on putback buckets

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Eastern Pike

Scoring ... Jace White 15, Brewer Tomlison 14, TJ Richards 13, Neil Leist 7, Tucker Leist 4, Dylan Morten 2, Sherman Salisbury 2
3 Pointers ... 0/9
FTs ... 11/14
TOs ... 14
PnP ... 18 fgs/ 36 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/ 4 points in transition
Pbk ... 2 fgs/ 4 points on putback buckets

... 50 of the 57 points for Eastern were from underclassmen ... good size in 6-3 Tomlison/6-3 Richards/6-3 Neil Leist ... 0/9 from behind the arc? need balance from inside and outside to get beyond .500 and be THAT threat in D4 in the post season ...

------------------------------------------------------------

Game #3
Chesapeake 77
Lynchburg Clay 55 a final

... The Peake representing the OVC at 4-9 on the season coming into this one took on Lynchburg Clay ... the Peake only 2 seniors on the roster , NO SENIORS in the starting lineup ... LC started 4 seniors & a freshman ... on this day it was ALL the youngin's of Coach Ater coming up big for the W ... this will be the Peake TEAM we will see next season , a team that has already beaten South Point (#3) AT South Point , the ONLY Ohio team to beat SP this season ... CHS never let Lynchburg in this one as the Panthers showed the strength of the OVC (the Peake sits at 2-5 in the OVC at #6) ... Chesapeake led at all stops 16-9 after one/CHS 39 LC 27 at the half/Peake 58 Lynchburg 42 after 3/ Chesapeake 77 Lynchburg Clay 55 a final ...
...Chesapeake was led by jr. PG Dannie Maynard 23 pts including 3 triples ... big games were had by "the youngsters" freshman "big" man 6-2 Phillip Thacker 16 pts with 3 treys from the corner/freshman Kaiden Harris 15 pts with a 3 ball/ soph 6-5 big man Jacob Skeens picked up 2 buckets in the paint/on the blocks 4pts ... 35 points for the youngin's that would USUALLY occupy spots on freshmen/JV teams are for the Peake part of the varsity rotation ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Lynchburg Clay

Scoring ... Bryce Binkley 18, Brady Chrisman 11, Logan Shope 11, Ian Waits 10, Landen West 3, Denver Clinton 2
3 Pointers ... 4/14 ... Ian Waits 2, Brady Chrisman 1, Landen West 1
FTs ... 13/21
TOs ... 16
PnP ... 13 fgs/26 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbk ... 4fgs/ 8 points on putback buckets

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Chesapeake

Scoring ... Dannie Maynard 23, Phillip Thacker 16, Kaiden Harris 15, Braxton Oldaker 13, Jacob Skeens 4, Carter Collins 2, Camron Shockley 2
3 Pointers ... 7/17 ... Dannie Maynard 3,Phillip Thacker 3, Kaiden Harris 1
FTs ... 10/17
TOs ... 15
PnP ... 17 fgs/ 34 points in the paint
PnT ... 5 fgs/ 10 points in transition

... the OVC is one of, if not THE strongest league in the SE District ... the peake sits at #6 in the OVC, one of the youngest teams in the district, add the Panthers to the list of teams that have freshmen/sophomores who are making an impact THIS season as they adjust to the varsity game - next year? I'm smiling at the teams who will be outstanding with what they return next season Chesapeake, Warren, Fairland, South Point, Eastern Brown, North Adams, Minford, Ironton, Unioto, etc. ... 2023-24 is going to be special ...

... more from the Dave Young Classic games tomorrow - Whiteoak vs South Point/ Eastern Brown vs Williamsburg/ North Adams vs Georgetown...
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: The Dave Young Classic - 9 years of success

Post by VetteMan »

Sounds like a good day of High School Hoops. Probably gave you a good chance to see some teams that you had not seen this year so far.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:11 am Sounds like a good day of High School Hoops. Probably gave you a good chance to see some teams that you had not seen this year so far.
It was VetteMan … I had seen ALL of the teams - SE district teams- that were there on livestream or video this season but I hadn’t seen them eyes on … in my mind eyes on is by far the best way to evaluate teams … not sure how you can get a great feel for a team from video alone … I’ve talked to coaches who still go to scout their opponents for just that reason … I just saw a question about South Webster being ranked below Paint Valley on this weeks rankings - based on “eyes on” both teams I feel PV is the better team … I’ll answer that question on the other thread in the morning but that is what it comes down to comparing teams after seeing them both in person vs quality opponents - PV vs Fed Hock and South Webster vs Minford … I’ve seen both on Hudl streams throughout the season but the deciding factors come from the eyes on games …
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:08 am
VetteMan wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:11 am Sounds like a good day of High School Hoops. Probably gave you a good chance to see some teams that you had not seen this year so far.
It was VetteMan … I had seen ALL of the teams - SE district teams- that were there on livestream or video this season but I hadn’t seen them eyes on … in my mind eyes on is by far the best way to evaluate teams … not sure how you can get a great feel for a team from video alone … I’ve talked to coaches who still go to scout their opponents for just that reason … I just saw a question about South Webster being ranked below Paint Valley on this weeks rankings - based on “eyes on” both teams I feel PV is the better team … I’ll answer that question on the other thread in the morning but that is what it comes down to comparing teams after seeing them both in person vs quality opponents - PV vs Fed Hock and South Webster vs Minford … I’ve seen both on Hudl streams throughout the season but the deciding factors come from the eyes on games …
I agree completely. The in-person eye test to me is the only fair way to really judge a team. I know for a fact that you pick up so many little things about a team, and especially individual players. Again, great job, looking forward to the other three games.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Game #4

South Point 75
Whiteoak 44 a final

... a miss match from the "git go" ... South Point is pushing to be THAT TEAM - #1 in the rankings AND might be if not for the 4 point loss to Chesapeake AT South Point ... even with the losses to the foreign teams from across the "big flowing water" ... SP might have the BEST overall talent from 1-10/12 players I've seen ... a starting lineup with "overall" size- Caleb Lovely (6-3)/Xathan Haney (6-3)/Jaxon Vance (6-2)/Xander Doran (6-4), Jordan Ermalovich (6-0) ... bigs with length, bigs on the perimeter that shoot the 3 ball in Lovely/Haney (5 treys between them in a half of action) ... bigs that can get to the rim/are as quick off the dribble as guards (Lovely a 2 guard/shooting guard) ... bottom line- South Point IS very good ... Whiteoak couldn't matchup with the size/athletic ability of SP ... South Point led at each quarter break : SP 24 WHS 9 after 1/ SP 44 WHS 16 at the half ... South Point called off the dogs in the 3rd quarter after Lovely dropped a 3 early in the 3rd - the SP bench played the rest of the way : SP 63 WHS 31 after 3 / South Point 75 Whiteoak 44 a final

Pfloyd's official "UN-offiicial" Napkin Stats - Whiteoak

Scoring ... Luken Rhoades 15, Landon Barnett 9, Carson Emery 7, Evan DeAtley 3, Zander Rhoades 3, #44 (not in the program) 3, Weston Blair 2
3 Pointers ... 5/26 ... Luken Rhoades 2, Evan DeAtley 1, Landon Barnett 1, Zander Rhoades 1
FTs ... 5/7
TOs ... 13
PnP ... 6 fgs/12 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 pts in transition
Pbk ... 3 fgs/ 6 points on putback buckets

Pfloyd's offiical "UN-official" Napkin Stats - South Point

Scoring ... Xathan Haney 18, Caleb Lovely 14, Jackson Childers 11, Carter Smith 6, Javon Ferrell 6, Jaxon Vance 4, Xander Doran 4, Elijah Wilburn 4,Deshaun Garrett 2, Ethan Layne 2, Derrell Taylor 2

3 Pointers ... 8/18 ... Xathan Haney 4, Caleb Lovely 1, Javon Ferrell 2, Jackson Childers 1
FTs ... 6/9
TOs ... 14
PnP ... 12 fgs/ 24 points in the paint

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game #5

Eastern Brown 44
Williamsburg 59 a final

... Eastern Brown may have played vs the 2nd best TEAM in the classic in Williamsburg ... Williamsburg with a solid starting 5 which played maybe a little over 1/2 the time with the second group of 4 coming off the bench as a unit playing slightly under 1/2 the time - the 2nd unit is a clone of the starters - same physical makeup of 2 strong inside bigs/play excellent on the blocks/rebound the ball at both ends accompanied by a good PG who knows his role - feeding the bigs/setting up the offense ... Williamsburg is fun to watch ... ball movement/perimeter to inside passing/interior passing by the bigs to bigs ... nice TEAM ... Eastern Brown ? Coach Beucler might be doing one of his best coaching jobs - only 1 senior on the team, everyone else is getting on the job training at the varsity level ... right now EB is a team of "role players" which IS a mark of an EB TEAM but usually an Eastern Brown team has THAT guy - an 18-20+ ppg go to guy with a 15ppg guy as the #2 option ... THOSE guys don't exist - yet - on this years EB team ...who looks to be the "guy"? right now is freshman Grady Barber - no heights were given for EB in the program- but Barber looks to be 6-3'ish/ good girth to get where he wants on the floor, right now he handles the ball on the perimeter, but he WILL get time in the paint with his size, can shoot the 3, makes FTs ... imo Barber will be 1 "THAT GUY" with some nice, young role players ... Eastern Brown with Coach Beucler will finish around .500 this season but next year will be a solid "Beucler/Eastern Brown type season" again ... the Williamsburg "consistency" in the rotation of players/strength in the paint from the 4 interchangeable bigs for Williamsburg kept them adding to the lead throughout never really letting EB get "in" the game ... the big man rotation for Williamsburg - Alex Ervin/Jace Canter as starters accounted for 27 points/ backup bigs Collin Klopfstein/Toby Humphries 15 off the bench = Bigs 42 points/Eastern Brown team 44 pts for the game... the quarter numbers: Eastern Brown 10 Williamsburg 8 after one/ Eastern Brown 21 Williamsburg 33 at the half/Eastern Brown 32 Williamsburg 47 after 3/ Williamsburg 59 Eastern Brown 44 a final

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Eastern Brown

Scoring ... Grady Barber 13, Wyatt Haupt 8, Kate Walkup 5, Rylan Utter 5, Luke Haney 4, Pryce Murphy 4, Dylin Pierce 3, Drew Edmisten 2
3 Pointers ... 5/21 ... Grady Barber 1, Kate Walkup 1, Wyatt Haupt 1, Dylin Pierce 1, Rylan Utter 1
FTs ... 7/9
TOs ... 24
Pbk ... 4 fgs/ 8 points on putback buckets

... Coach Beucler is molding next years team ... Barber to be one of the goto guys for numbers per game ... team scoring from the role players (5 different players knocked down 3's) ... my take from the Napkin Stats - showing the ability to get out in transition, offensive boards with 4 putbacks for points in the paint ... this edition getting the needed varsity experience for NEXT season's 2023-24 edition of EB ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Williamsburg

Scoring ... Jace Canter 15, Alex Ervin 12, Collin Klopfstein 8, Toby Humphries 7, Kaleb Bogan 5, Carter Sunderman 4, Kaidon Whisman 4, Eli Jones 3, Zach Earley 1

3 Pointers ... 2/16 ... Jace Canter 1, Toby Humphries 1
FTs ... 19/35
TOs ... 15
PnP ... 15 fgs/ 30 points in the paint
PnT ... 2fgs/ 4 points in transition
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Great rundowns….

Coach Stricklett of West Union …..back in the early 90’s was Warren Local’s head coach. He was head coach at Eastern Pike in the mid-late 90’s when I was a student teacher there….and his cohort other phys ed teacher was Neil Leist who has the son on the Eastern Pike team…along with his brother coaching. Both Keist and Stricklett went on to Superintendent status.

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:36 pm Great rundowns….

Coach Stricklett of West Union …..back in the early 90’s was Warren Local’s head coach. He was head coach at Eastern Pike in the mid-late 90’s when I was a student teacher there….and his cohort other phys ed teacher was Neil Leist who has the son on the Eastern Pike team…along with his brother coaching. Both Keist and Stricklett went on to Superintendent status.
If I'm not mistaken, Stricklett was the head coach at Eastern Pike last year, Neil Leist (retired Eastern Superint.) has 2 sons on the team (Neil and Tucker), and it's his nephew that is the head coach.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Pfloyd, without a doubt South Point must have passed your eye test. It's just very puzzling to me how they were beaten by Chesapeake early in the season. I guess that's why all the games have to be played, and any team can have an off night. Great rundown on all the games.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

GoIrish wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:08 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:36 pm Great rundowns….

If I'm not mistaken, Stricklett was the head coach at Eastern Pike last year, Neil Leist (retired Eastern Superint.) has 2 sons on the team (Neil and Tucker), and it's his nephew that is the head coach.
Yes nephew, not brother! Stricklett was there last season

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Game #6 (I ate during the girls game)

North Adams girls 55
Georgetown girls 17 a final

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game #7

North Adams 46
Georgetown 50 a final

Great game between 2 excellent teams ... 2 outstanding coaches who happen to be related Coach Nathan Copas for North Adams, Coach Cory Copas for Georgetown ... 2 equally outstanding guards Bransyn Copas for NA and Carson Miles for Georgetown ... both led their respective teams in the scoring department for the game, both set the tone at both ends of court on offense and defense ... the opening quarter was a feeling out qtr. where the defenses for both teams was the decided winner as Georgetown came away with a 10-8 advantage but was losing in the turnover department as the NA quickness turned the G-men over 6 times to 3 for the Green Devils ... scoring for G'town was Carson Miles 4 pts/ Jaxson Marks 2 with FT line scoring from Jaxon Galley 2/2 and Aiden McGinnis 2/2 ... for NA Jayce Rothwell led with 4 pts/Cody Hesler 2 pts and Carson Osborne 2 pts as the Devils took 2 of the GHS turnovers back to the house for transition buckets for NA ... Georgetown 10 North Adams 8 after 1 ... the G'men opened the 2nd with a 7-2 run leading 17-10 at 5:48 left in the 2nd ... 3 triples from Carson Osborne for NA helped the Green Devils reel the G'men back in as NA was able draw even with Georgetown going into the half 24-24 ... Osborne for NA had 11 pts in the half/9 pts in the 2nd ... Copas chipped in 4 pts/ 2 on blocks from Dillon Ragan / 1/2 from the FT line from Kamden Buttelwerth ... for Georgetown good team scoring in the 2nd : 4 pts Ryland Hayslip/ 3 from Miles/4 pts Aiden McGinnis/ and an old fashion 3 pts with a 2 pter plus 1 from Trevor Ellis of the G'men bench ... Georgetown 24 North Adams 24 at intermission ... with each team having THAT guy - NA with Copas and G'men with Miles at some point in the game THOSE guys were going to make it personal/head to head ... the 3rd quarter was that time - Copas took it upon himself to get the lead for NA as the quick soph PG gave the Devils a 1 pt lead with 2:52 to go in the 3rd 31-30 NA ... Carson Miles for GHS put up 6 points with 2 pointer help from Austin Miles and Trevor Ellis to get the lead back by the end of 3 ... G'town 34 North Adams 31 end of 3 ... the problem for NA having Copas takeover was that no one else stepped up for support in the scoring column ... in the 4th period North Adams looked much more like a TEAM as scoring came from all of the starters - Rothwell 5 points including a 3 pter/Hesler 2 pts/ Copas a triple (3pts)/Osborne a triple (3pts) and Ragan a deuce in the paint 2pts ... at 6:30 in the game G'town had forged a 7 pt lead (40-33) Miles put up 8 pts in the final period/ 3 pts from McGinnis ... at 4:00 the score was knotted at 44-44 ... at 2:01 NA found itself leading 46-44 ... a Ryland Hayslip 3 ball at 1:05 on the clock for the G'men gave GHS a 47-46 lead ... FT's 1/2 from MIles and 2/2 from Marks gave the G'men the final advantage at 50-46 ... North Adams had 2 great looks for 3 pointers one with the score at 46-49 ... a miss from the left wing ... Carson Miles went make miss at the line ... NA was able to get a 2nd good look again from the left wing by Rothwell - miss from 3 and a very possible 4 point play as the shot was closely contested ... miss and a no-call ... G'men 50 Norht Adams 46 a final ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - North Adams

Scoring ... Br7/20 ... Carson Osborne 4, Bransyn Copas 2, Jayce Rothwell 1
FTs ... 3/4
TOs ... 11
PnP ... 6 fgs/ 12 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/ 4 poansyn Copas 14, Carson Osborne 14, Jayce Rothwell 9, Cody Hesler 4, Dillon Ragan 4, Kamdon Buttelwerth 1
3 Pointers ... ints in transition
Pbk ... 1 fg/ 2 points on putback buckets

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Georgetown

Scoring ... Carson Miles 21, Aiden McGinnis 9, Ryland Hayslip 7, Trevor Ellis 5, Jaxson Marks 4, Austin Miles 2, Jaxon Galley 2
3 Pointers ... 3/15 ... Ryland Hayslip 1, Carson Miles 1, Aiden McGinnis 1
FTs ... 9/11
TOs ... 13
PnT ... 3 fgs/ 6 points in transition
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... overall a great day of hoops! ... daniC doing his SOSA work - stats/photos and interviews - always good watching games with you daniC! ... Hoopie74! great talking basketball with you my friend! (we definitely come from a different time don't we LOL) ... Coach Arey! and his "secret weapon" in the coaching ranks came up to say hello as well! always good to talk hoops with people who know basketball and want to hear what I know ... sat with Coach Austin McCormick of North Adams off and on throughout the afternoon, along with the McCormick family - good people! ... Coach Heath Unger (Eastern Brown) and his younger brother also found their way into the Cheap Seats ... I watched/posted about Heath Unger and EB when he played, as well as Austin McCormick (North Adams) NOW - I get see them both as colleagues (teachers) beginning their own foray into the coaching ranks - they played for outstanding coaches/now being mentored by the same coaches courtside ... makes me smile ... always good to see the fine officials who do this event - they do it out of respect for Coach Young and his family - good to see you guys! ... pfloyd will be back next year for yet another great event at the Coach Young Classic ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Good work Pfloyd. Oh, I forgot,if your are doing something you love it's not work. Safe travels one and all .

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:25 pm Game #4

South Point 75
Whiteoak 44 a final

... a miss match from the "git go" ... South Point is pushing to be THAT TEAM - #1 in the rankings AND might be if not for the 4 point loss to Chesapeake AT South Point ... even with the losses to the foreign teams from across the "big flowing water" ... SP might have the BEST overall talent from 1-10/12 players I've seen ... a starting lineup with "overall" size- Caleb Lovely (6-3)/Xathan Haney (6-3)/Jaxon Vance (6-2)/Xander Doran (6-4), Jordan Ermalovich (6-0) ... bigs with length, bigs on the perimeter that shoot the 3 ball in Lovely/Haney (5 treys between them in a half of action) ... bigs that can get to the rim/are as quick off the dribble as guards (Lovely a 2 guard/shooting guard) ... bottom line- South Point IS very good ... Whiteoak couldn't matchup with the size/athletic ability of SP ... South Point led at each quarter break : SP 24 WHS 9 after 1/ SP 44 WHS 16 at the half ... South Point called off the dogs in the 3rd quarter after Lovely dropped a 3 early in the 3rd - the SP bench played the rest of the way : SP 63 WHS 31 after 3 / South Point 75 Whiteoak 44 a final

Pfloyd's official "UN-offiicial" Napkin Stats - Whiteoak

Scoring ... Luken Rhoades 15, Landon Barnett 9, Carson Emery 7, Evan DeAtley 3, Zander Rhoades 3, #44 (not in the program) 3, Weston Blair 2
3 Pointers ... 5/26 ... Luken Rhoades 2, Evan DeAtley 1, Landon Barnett 1, Zander Rhoades 1
FTs ... 5/7
TOs ... 13
PnP ... 6 fgs/12 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 pts in transition

Pfloyd's offiical "UN-official" Napkin Stats - South Point

Scoring ... Xathan Haney 18, Caleb Lovely 14, Jackson Childers 11, Carter Smith 6, Javon Ferrell 6, Jaxon Vance 4, Xander Doran 4, Elijah Wilburn 4,Deshaun Garrett 2, Ethan Layne 2, Derrell Taylor 2

3 Pointers ... 8/18 ... Xathan Haney 4, Caleb Lovely 1, Javon Ferrell 2, Jackson Childers 1
FTs ... 6/9
TOs ... 14

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game #5

Eastern Brown 44
Williamsburg 59 a final

... Eastern Brown may have played vs the 2nd best TEAM in the classic in Williamsburg ... Williamsburg with a solid starting 5 which played maybe a little over 1/2 the time with the second group of 4 coming off the bench as a unit playing slightly under 1/2 the time - the 2nd unit is a clone of the starters - same physical makeup of 2 strong inside bigs/play excellent on the blocks/rebound the ball at both ends accompanied by a good PG who knows his role - feeding the bigs/setting up the offense ... Williamsburg is fun to watch ... ball movement/perimeter to inside passing/interior passing by the bigs to bigs ... nice TEAM ... Eastern Brown ? Coach Beucler might be doing one of his best coaching jobs - only 1 senior on the team, everyone else is getting on the job training at the varsity level ... right now EB is a team of "role players" which IS a mark of an EB TEAM but usually an Eastern Brown team has THAT guy - an 18-20+ ppg go to guy with a 15ppg guy as the #2 option ... THOSE guys don't exist - yet on this years EB team ...who looks to be the "guy" right now is freshman Grady Barber - no height for EB in the program- but Barber looks to be 6-3'ish/ good girth to get where he wants on the floor, right now he handles the ball on the perimeter, but he WILL get time in the paint with his size, can shoot the 3, makes FTs ... imo Barber will be 1 "THAT GUY" with some nice, young role players ... Eastern Brown with Coach Beucler will finish around .500 this season but next year will be a solid "Beucler/Eastern Brown type season" again ... the Williamsburg "consistency" in the rotation of players/strength in the paint from the 4 interchangeable bigs for Williamsburg kept them adding to the lead throughout never really letting EB get "in" the game ... the big man rotation for Williamsburg - Alex Ervin/Jace Canter as starters accounted for 27 points/ backup bigs Collin Klopfstein/Toby Humphries 15 off the bench = Bigs 42 points/Eastern Brown team 44 pts for the game... the quarter numbers: Eastern Brown 10 Williamsburg 8 after one/ Eastern Brown 21 Williamsburg 33 at the half/Eastern Brown 32 Williamsburg 47 after 3/ Williamsburg 59 Eastern Brown 44 a final

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Eastern Brown

Scoring ... Grady Barber 13, Wyatt Haupt 8, Kate Walkup 5, Rylan Utter 5, Luke Haney 4, Pryce Murphy 4, Dylin Pierce 3, Drew Edmisten 2
3 Pointers ... 5/21 ... Grady Barber 1, Kate Walkup 1, Wyatt Haupt 1, Dylin Pierce 1, Rylan Utter 1
FTs ... 7/9
TOs ... 24
Pbk ... 4 fgs/ 8 points on putback buckets

... Coach Beucler is molding next years team ... Barber to be one of the goto guys for numbers per game ... team scoring from the role players (5 different players knocked down 3's) ... my take from the Napkin Stats - showing the ability to get out in transition, offensive boards with 4 putbacks for points in the paint ... this edition getting the needed varsity experience for NEXT season's 2023-24 edition of EB ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Williamsburg

Scoring ... Jace Canter 15, Alex Ervin 12, Collin Klopfstein 8, Toby Humphries 7, Kaleb Bogan 5, Carter Sunderman 4, Kaidon Whisman 4, Eli Jones 3, Zach Earley 1

3 Pointers ... 2/16 ... Jace Canter 1, Toby Humphries 1
FTs ... 19/35
TOs ... 15
PnP ... 15 fgs/ 30 points in the paint
PnT ... 2fgs/ 4 points in transition

I’d guess #44 for Whiteoak was exchange student Linus Wik from Sweden. Tall thin kid…ran XC for me. He’s good stuff.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

"0" for South Point could play for my team anytime. Smooth!

Return to “Boys Basketball”