Federal Hocking 72 Vinton County 60 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Federal Hocking 72 Vinton County 60 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Vinton County 60
Federal Hocking 72 a final

... TVC Ohio vs TVC Hocking ... Vinton County vs Federal Hocking ... an inter-divisional battle for supremacy of the TVC ... McInturf Gymnasium was packed - great atmosphere for a high school basketball game ... the Federal Hocking Lancers of Coach Thompson/Coach Tolson had won 11 straight games after dropping the opening 2 games of the season (Caldwell/Alexander) ... the Vikings of Coach Kight had just moved into the Elite 8 rankings - all divisions in SEOhio ... not sure how this one could NOT be an outstanding game ...

... it didn't take long for the intensity of the game to to be turned up to Spinal Tap volume settings as BOTH teams set the speed of the game to the full intensity level - this one was pegged at 11 from the git go ... the eventual "players" in the outcome of the game started with luke warm results compared the speed of the game - BOTH teams turned each other over - VC with 9 1st quarter turnovers/ FH not to be outdone had 10 on their own ball ... between handing the ball to one another - points WERE scored .. the Vikings were led by Brayden Cain's 7 points (a triple included) , 6-1 jr. Garrett Brown (one of the "players") added a pair of 2 pointers (4pts) , starting sr. guard Jack Davidson a 2 pointer/ off the bench 6-2 jr Owen Hire kicked in 4 pts in the period ... for the home standing Lancers 4 of the 5 starters put numbers on the napkin stat sheet - Billy Ward 5 pts/Caden Chapman 4pts/ Tariq Cottrill 2pts/Andrew Airhart 2 pts (both "players" in the final outcome of the game down the stretch) ...words to describe the opening quarter - physical, speed guarding speed, high intensity defense AND offense from BOTH sides ... the turnovers actually were a wash - negated each other/both teams failed to get shots on goal 9/10 trips due to TOs ... Vinton County 17 Federal Hocking 13 after one ... one would THINK that after the intensity of the opening quarter one or both sides would slow things down just a tad, to get back those "lost" scoring opportunities - from the cheap seats there was no discernable "let up" in intensity IF ANYTHING the intensity was just as high ... for the Lancers - noted for perimeter scoring - probably THE BEST 3 point shooting team pfloyd has seen in his travels throughout SEO this season- the perimeter shots just weren't there, the VC defense took away the perimeter looks/ no looks, no points, 0/2 in the 1st ... 0 for 2 in the 2nd qtr as well ... to Fed Hocks credit and discipline as a TEAM - they didn't force the shots/shots that weren't there to begin with ... IF you can't score, let alone shoot the shots on the perimeter - what do you do? take what the defense gives you! use arguably the quickest PG in SEO - Tariq Cottrill - you go to the rim - TC went to the rim to the tune of 8 points in the 2nd frame ... and for good measure Fed Hock has not ONE but a couple of quick/hardnosed guards enter sr. Caden Chapman - getting to the rim for 6 points of his own ... when you have the speed/quickness of FH you take advantage of the opponents TOs by making them pay in the transition game ... Vinton County had 6 turnovers in the 2nd, the Lancers took it to the house in transition on 4 of those for points in transition ... with Cottrill/Chapman figuring it out - turning up the intensity/getting to the rim for FH - Vinton County was not to be outdone - the Vikings defense was just as intense, VC turned FH over 8 times in the 2nd/18 times in the open half of action ... Garrett Brown - one of the main/consistent offensive threats for VC stepped up again connecting on the Vikings 2nd triple of the game (5pts), 6-5 jr post player Ashton Allman scored off of a putback and & 1 (3pts) ... Owen Hire add 4 pts to go with Cobra Sharp's 2pts ... with all of the action that took place from both sides in the 1st half, the point total separating the TVC's finest was only 2 ... Vinton County 31 Federal Hocking 29 at intermission ... from the cheap seats , as intense as BOTH teams were playing - it just felt like the Lancers were "getting after it" just a little more... FH was at a size disadvantage, a bench shortage as compared to VC (6 to 8) - the difference was speed/quickness - VC has it BUT FH HAS IT ... instead of getting rebounds, FH tipped boards to teammates, tipped the ball out of the paint, away from the VC bigs inside ... FH was quicker to the ball, quicker in their rotations on defense ... the 3rd quarter saw the Lancers "cleanup" their offense game - taking care of the ball - 0 turnovers in the 3rd while turning up the defensive pressure on the Vikings forcing 6 turnovers 3 of which FH turned into points ... at 3:17 on the clock in the 3rd Vinton County held a 43-42 lead ... so far through almost 3 full qtrs the Lancer perimeter scoring had been shut down 0/10 from downtown ... the "guy" from deep Andrew Airhart was held to a 2 pointer ... by 1:28 FH /Airhart drained a 3 ball from somewhere in downtown Stewart ... FH gained the momentum advantage/flipped the score, taking a 49-43 lead ... Cottrill spearheaded the push with 8 pts at the rim, Airhart nailed 2 triples in the period to help get separation , Chapman with 4 pts in transition, Iden Miller added his 2nd bucket of the game (4pts) ... for VC Brown put up 7 more points to keep VC within range with support from Sharp 2pts/Davidson 3/4 from the FT line/and a putback basket from Hire ... the big 3rd qtr numbers were TO's 0 to 6 in favor of FH, Lancers found space to shoot the 3 on the perimeter getting 2 from Airhart ... Federal Hocking 51 Vinton County 45 after 3 ... the tale of the tape from the cheap seats was Fed Hock crashing the boards/getting to seemingly ALL loose balls, FH forced 6 more turnovers (27 for the game) ... at 6:06 on the game clock FH led by 11 ... 56-45 ... Fed Hocking forced VC to take chances on D- which left shooters open on the perimeter ... the Lancers went 4/6 from behind the arc in the 4th, senior Scotty Balch went 2/2 from 3 ... Cottrill added 1 triple and Airhart 1 - his 3rd of the game ... at 5:16 FH was on top 59-45 ... 3:24 59-48 Fed Hock ... Garrett Brown for VC put up 9 pts in the 4th ... a triple from Brayden Cain 3pts ... a putback deuce from Allman for VC ... 1:41 Lancers 63-54 ... 1:01 FH 68-57 ... Fed Hock was 8/11 from the FT line in the final minutes to seal the deal ... Federal Hocking 72 Vinton County 60 a final ...

... 2 excellent TEAMS ... 2 TEAMS that left everything on the court ... with the speed of play, the intensity of the game on defense - Vinton County couldn't/didn't play to their advantages - size and numbers ... Federal Hocking used their advantage - speed/hardnosed players/"want to/have to" intensity/ and yes that perimeter game arrived in the 2nd half to get separation (6/13 in the last 2 qtrs) ...

... Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Vinton County

Scoring ... Garrett Brown 25, Owen Hire 11, Brayden Cain 10, Jack Davidson 5, Ashton Allman 5, Cobra Sharp 4
3 Pointers ... 4/11 ... Brayden Cain 2, Garrett Brown 2
FTs ... 10/15
TOs ... 27
PnP ... 17 fgs/34 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbk ... 5 fgs/ 10 points on putback buckets

... Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Federal Hocking

Scoring ... Tariq Cottrill 28, Caden Chapman 14, Andrew Airhart 13, Billy Ward 7, Scotty Balch 6, Iden Miller 4
3 pointers ... 6/17 ... Andrew Airhart 3, Scotty Balch 2, Tariq Cottrill 1
FTs ... 14/19
TOs ... 19 ... only 1 in the last 2 quarters
PnP ... 10fgs / 20 points in the paint
PnT ... 8 fgs/ 16 points in the transition game
Pbk ... 2 fgs/ 4 points on putbacks
Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Federal Hocking 72 Vinton County 60 a final

Post by 93Bulldog »

Great rundown, Floyd.

What a great game on a Tuesday night in mid January.

You hit everything on the head, but if I were to add something, I'd throw in a remark about the officials. They were a non factor, nobody fouled out, not much groaning from fans despite the speed and physicality of the game. That's exactly what you want out of the zebras and what they like as well. They probably feel they did a pretty good job if nobody is talking about them.
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:12 pm Great rundown, Floyd.

What great game on a Tuesday night in mid January.

You hit everything on the head, but if I were to add something, I'd throw in a remark about the officials. They were a non factor, nobody fouled out, not much groaning from fans despite the speed and physicality of the game. That's exactly what you want out of the zebras and what they like as well. They probably feel they did a pretty good job if nobody is talking about them.
... I totally agree ... the officials did a great job ... they called the "even pfloyd with bad eyes wouldn't/couldn't/ shouldn't miss this" fouls - they let both teams play hardnosed D ... made for a great mid Jan game between 2 excellent teams ...

... it was good talking some hoops with you last night ! ... may see you again Friday night at the Alley - there's some other good ones out there though as well - Valley @ South Webster ... Fairland @ South Point ... I'm going to have to spin the wheel to see where I point the ride ...

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Reading that made me feel like I was there.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Good call. They deserve the kudos on a lot of games. Who were the 3 officials?

VCTailgater
Waterboy

Post by VCTailgater »

Great Article!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

It’s crazy that these two teams haven’t played since 2007. Hopefully this series continues! Great game by the lancers. Hopefully VC can use their experience of the last two hostile road game environments to turn things around at The Alley.

VCTailgater
Waterboy

Post by VCTailgater »

Totally agree! This game was about two teams fighting it out on the hardwood. Officiating had zero impact on the outcome! Great Job by the officiating crew!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:15 pm

Osborne, Nicholson, Cook

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Pfloyd, a very good through rundown. Just what I expected. Sounds as if it was a very competitive game throughout.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:14 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:15 pm

Osborne, Nicholson, Cook
Those danged “Glouster refs.” :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

27 turnovers by Vinton County--no wonder you didn't win. The coach needs to adjust as the game moves along- I guess it will be a learning time period. Anyone know if Combs had a team with 27 turnovers in a game?

Kenny Bixx
Freshman Team

Post by Kenny Bixx »

Coach Combs would a never stood for 37 turnovers. I am gonna make you guys a deal. Next game I will drink a beer for everyone of the Viles turnovers

Disklaimer: These here thoughts are my opinions. Dont mean too hurt nobodies feelins. Are we still able to state opinions on here without unfair retribution from certain folkes?

Return to “Boys Basketball”