Fan Behavior At Games…Action Needs Taken

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Fan Behavior At Games…Action Needs Taken

Post by bbjunky81 »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:54 am
danicalifornia wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:14 pm I’ve seen the people who complain the most take the class and become officials and it’s not any better lol

What I don’t understand is why it never stops with certain fans. A fan is never going to change a call and is only going to make their own experience worse by being mad about every call. Just seems like a miserable way to watch a game.
Their life probably sucks. People that suck at life tend to hate authority and have a victim mindset.
One of the truest things I've ever read on here.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

I read an article today about a brawl between fans breaking out at a MS game in VT. One fan, a 60 year old man died. Didn’t give any other details.
I’ve actually heard fans laugh and boast about being tossed from games.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I got tossed from a jr high girls game once. Felt like a celebrity

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:20 pm I got tossed from a jr high girls game once. Felt like a celebrity
I know you get on here and kid alot and think many things are funny, but to me it's sad. It's sad that a grown A$$ man thinks going to a Jr. High Game and getting thrown out is GREAT. Sad that many 12-13 year old people saw it! It's sad that people have nothing better to do then go to these games and get so wrapped up in them where eventually something really bad is going to happen. But I am sure you will get on here and produce some type of smart A$$ answer to show everyone on here how much you don't care what people say or do to you !

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

baseball16 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:39 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:20 pm I got tossed from a jr high girls game once. Felt like a celebrity
I know you get on here and kid alot and think many things are funny, but to me it's sad. It's sad that a grown A$$ man thinks going to a Jr. High Game and getting thrown out is GREAT. Sad that many 12-13 year old people saw it! It's sad that people have nothing better to do then go to these games and get so wrapped up in them where eventually something really bad is going to happen. But I am sure you will get on here and produce some type of smart A$$ answer to show everyone on here how much you don't care what people say or do to you !
I hope you live your actual life with this much passion for what was obviously a joke. I’m sure a lot of 12 year olds saw my friend who was reffing the game throw me out the side door into Webster’s big gym to watch the girls varsity game next. Told him you can reach but you can’t touch too hard.

I will say from first hand experience working the clock for several years, a lot of these people are way to invested in blaming everyone but their own kids for being garbage basketball players. I got ate up all the time from oak hill people for not switching the possession arrow in .2 seconds or not putting the foul on the board immediately, as if that was gonna change the outcome

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:59 pm
I hope you live your actual life with this much passion for what was obviously a joke. I’m sure a lot of 12 year olds saw my friend who was reffing the game throw me out the side door into Webster’s big gym to watch the girls varsity game next. Told him you can reach but you can’t touch too hard.

I will say from first hand experience working the clock for several years, a lot of these people are way to invested in blaming everyone but their own kids for being garbage basketball players. I got ate up all the time from oak hill people for not switching the possession arrow in .2 seconds or not putting the foul on the board immediately, as if that was gonna change the outcome
Swanker, not that it really matters, but I knew from the get go that it was a joke. I've been throwing things at you for the past couple years, and you always come back with a better one.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Swank, trade the darn clock for the baseball books for crying out loud! I know we are all in agreement this educator crossed the big RED line.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I think everyone is in agreement that fans get carried away. Sure, some complaining about calls is going to happen every game. The refs are human and they make mistakes too. The problem is when they take it too far and cross the line. Following the refs to their area is unacceptable at any level. There needs to be something in place for this type of behavior. A fine or suspension maybe? If this continues to happen, someone will get hurt.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

People who live in glass houses …….you know the rest

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Sometimes it's best to just take a big deep breath, and relax. Life isn't that bad buddy.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:23 am
Sometimes it's best to just take a big deep breath, and relax. Life isn't that bad buddy.
No one is immune to griping about a bad call. If you're an official, it should be expected. Unfortunately, some complain about every call. The only gripe I have is when opposing fans say they are getting homered at an away game, when an assigner assigns the games.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

transplant wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:48 am I think everyone is in agreement that fans get carried away. Sure, some complaining about calls is going to happen every game. The refs are human and they make mistakes too. The problem is when they take it too far and cross the line. Following the refs to their area is unacceptable at any level. There needs to be something in place for this type of behavior. A fine or suspension maybe? If this continues to happen, someone will get hurt.
The official probably should of reported to the AD immediately after it happened, and then not post it on social media. The burg incident was posted on social media. That's not necessary. If you have a problem with someone, get in touch with them.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I assume the AD was there, in cases like this, you can tell if the fans are getting out of hand. Doesn't the school usually have a rep waiting to usher the refs to the designated area? Where was the AD or school rep to stop people from coming in that area? I agree, don't go blasting it all over social media, but this is the age we are living in.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I read that this individual was a teacher, thus had a badge/key able to access that particular area. I would think most schools have high expectations for their faculty and staff and wouldn't expect an educator to react this ridiculously, particularly for a junior high game.

However, Burg is a top notch school. I know many of their admin personally and I have no doubt they will take whatever action necessary to protect the referees moving forward --- even if it means staff aren't allowed in designated areas after the game.

This is an isolated incident with obviously someone who has some mental issues that need to be addressed. I'm not sure what type of 'reprimand' you give a teacher here but I would imagine it starts with banning them from sporting events for the rest of the year. That would send a pretty strong message to other fans.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

No badge or key is needed to access the area where the officials enter and exit at Burg... literally 3-4 different ways to get there... fans should not be following officials around after games to complain... I've had many conversations with officials after games as I am friends with many of them... I will criticize them when they blow a call here and there... most don't mind it until poor language is used or when people RAGE like they want to strangle you by your whistle.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

FIDO wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:30 am Swank, trade the darn clock for the baseball books for crying out loud! I know we are all in agreement this educator crossed the big RED line.
I’m sure I’ll be keeping the books for about the next 12 years. Swank Jr throws gas

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

You guys really have no idea what officials go through on any given night. We've had officials followed to gas stations and threatened, we had a pregnant girlfriend and her young child bitched at in the stands from a coaches wife about calls, we had 2 young officials-approached by a teacher and talked to ridiculously and we have had an official followed to car by another teacher and friends-boxed in by other cars. Do any of you know what has happened to them by the so called adm.??? NOTHING!!!! Have any of you watched videos or watched the news on what is happening all over the US to officials in all sports? CONSEQUENCES-people who come onto the court/field need to be disciplined and disciplined hard to stop this crap!! People who follow and/or threaten officials need to be disciplined hard. People who are ejected from any event needs to be disciplined hard. WHY isn't this happening? Superintendents, principals and AD's aren't doing their jobs like they should.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:30 am You guys really have no idea what officials go through on any given night. We've had officials followed to gas stations and threatened, we had a pregnant girlfriend and her young child bitched at in the stands from a coaches wife about calls, we had 2 young officials-approached by a teacher and talked to ridiculously and we have had an official followed to car by another teacher and friends-boxed in by other cars. Do any of you know what has happened to them by the so called adm.??? NOTHING!!!! Have any of you watched videos or watched the news on what is happening all over the US to officials in all sports? CONSEQUENCES-people who come onto the court/field need to be disciplined and disciplined hard to stop this crap!! People who follow and/or threaten officials need to be disciplined hard. People who are ejected from any event needs to be disciplined hard. WHY isn't this happening? Superintendents, principals and AD's aren't doing their jobs like they should.
It's been out of control since the history of games began, over reaction of fans is nothing new. An AD can only do so much when it comes to crowd control, in spite of their other responsibilities. To fix the problem, is like you said, burn these guys up with a fine, if they get tossed. The officials chapter could probably spearhead that by talking to a county commissioner. I know adams county once had something in place.

I will say that officials aren't always correct in their tossing of fans. Sometimes they need to let things go.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

wobycat wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:31 am
transplant wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:48 am I think everyone is in agreement that fans get carried away. Sure, some complaining about calls is going to happen every game. The refs are human and they make mistakes too. The problem is when they take it too far and cross the line. Following the refs to their area is unacceptable at any level. There needs to be something in place for this type of behavior. A fine or suspension maybe? If this continues to happen, someone will get hurt.
The official probably should of reported to the AD immediately after it happened, and then not post it on social media. The burg incident was posted on social media. That's not necessary. If you have a problem with someone, get in touch with them.
The official took it to the AD immediately. He did exactly what he should have done and the school reacted immediately. It was taken to social media by someone that thrives on attention and clicks. So do not jump to a conclusion about the official. That young man didn't do a darn thing wrong.

*D1*
Freshman Team

Post by *D1* »

One thing that might help the officials is to make sure most if not all of your bad calls go on the visiting team. Especially late in the game. That way the home folks will be more likely to help protect you from the harassers.

I know, I was D1 fellas

Return to “Boys Basketball”