Fan Behavior At Games…Action Needs Taken

ConcernedFan740
Waterboy

Fan Behavior At Games…Action Needs Taken

Post by ConcernedFan740 »

Fan behavior at local sporting events gets worse and worse each year. Maybe putting these people on blast will keep a person or two from running their mouth.

Officials miss calls, it happens. Fans get upset and caught in the heat of moment, it happens. But there is a line that is being crossed frequently. There is already a mass shortage of officials in all sports…just ask assigners and ADs. Fans are driving them away. So many young officials that officiate for a year or two and decide it’s not worth it because of the fans. I advise fans who constantly complain at the calls of officials to sign up for the OHSAA basketball course on the OHSAA.org website. The class is $60.

ConcernedFan740
Waterboy

Re: Fan Behavior At Games…Action Needs Taken

After the Valley @ Wheelersburg 7th and 8th grade games last night, the 2 officials, both in their early 20’s, went to their designated locker room that is in an area that is off limits to fans. The officials also have their own exit door that is separate at Wheelersburg from where the spectators enter and exit. One official was approached by a man and woman and the woman stated: “You suck, get a new job, you’re a disgrace. Absolutely freaking terrible.” May or may not have been an expletive said by the woman as she was walking away.

Can’t leave this out. This individual is an educator at Wheelersburg Elementary School. All this interaction with the official was caught on a school camera.

Will add that the Wheelersburg School District takes great care of officials before, during, and after games. This is not a knock on the school district in any way. Just hope the appropriate conversation takes place with this individual as this is unacceptable and will not be tolerated towards our area officials.

ConcernedFan740
Waterboy

This is from last year during a 3rd/4th grade All Star Tournament.

A spectator was removed from a ballgame after he stood near the baseline area and complained to an official about a call.

Here’s the clip of him being removed:

https://www.kapwing.com/videos/63d966ada13fec002616a14a

Here’s the clip during a timeout while he is watching on a Facebook Live video feed in the parking lot with his voice in the background. This audio is NSFW as it contains many expletives directed toward the official.

https://www.kapwing.com/videos/63d9670b70bf2a001feb0df4

Here’s a clip of him storming back into the building after another fan was removed from the game:

https://www.kapwing.com/videos/63d9672f5553d5001e366264

This just isn’t at one level, it’s at all levels.

Corner3
Riding the Bench

Post by Corner3 »

I always try to think about this great clip from coach Frank Martin when people want to complain about the officiating…
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fc5BfCCFzQI

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I’ve seen the people who complain the most take the class and become officials and it’s not any better lol

What I don’t understand is why it never stops with certain fans. A fan is never going to change a call and is only going to make their own experience worse by being mad about every call. Just seems like a miserable way to watch a game.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

As a class 1 official and now that my son has his class 2; I am more involved with this issue alot these days. The running joke for us as officials is one side or the other will be unhappy with you alot of the times but this season and this day and age fans think they can say and do whatever they want without recourse and the only way to really handle it is to go to the site manager and remove them asap to avoid it getting worse. I was told 12 years ago when i started to not have rabbit ears and thankfully I have not had one issue this year but if the time comes the fan will be removed asap and that will be that. The longer they stay the longer they can feel we are way off and wrong and their opinions are correct and better. Its sad its come to this but we have to eliminate the cancer before it spreads and it seems to be worse at the lower levels, with a majority THINKING they know the rules when they really dont.
Call it both ways (when one team is far more aggressive than another)
Traveling
Over and back
over THE back (no such rule)
Kicking the ball (must be an INTENTIONAL action)
;are all misunderstood and argumentative calls that seem to have everyone in the stands thinking they know more than we do and they are always dead wrong. Fans need to respect the game like the motto says or we need to remove them asap to save the drama later imo

Live Like A Champion!
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

It’s crazy most places. Youth sports makes intelligent and good people become crazy. “LET ME SHOW YOU HOW MAD I AM ABOUT YOUR TERRIBLE CALLS”

Lord, just scan FB or Twitter Sunday night/Monday morning.

If you are a Jackson fan and you get tossed you can’t come back for the next 2 home games….applies if you get tossed on the road as well. At least some expectations….a lot of places don’t have any expectations, nearly anything goes.

SOCFalconFan
Waterboy

Post by SOCFalconFan »

As someone who as coached multiple sports at various age groups over the years I can say that the vast majority of the time the fans who are the loudest about calls have the least knowledge about the actual rules of the games.

And people need to realize that things can look completely different depending on the angle. I’ve had times I felt a ref made a horrible call and then talk to the kid it was called on and he confirm the call was right or watch the video and see it was right. Refs will miss things, but they will also get things right that we will swear was wrong. It’s an imperfect game. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

SOCFalconFan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:34 pm As someone who as coached multiple sports at various age groups over the years I can say that the vast majority of the time the fans who are the loudest about calls have the least knowledge about the actual rules of the games.

And people need to realize that things can look completely different depending on the angle. I’ve had times I felt a ref made a horrible call and then talk to the kid it was called on and he confirm the call was right or watch the video and see it was right. Refs will miss things, but they will also get things right that we will swear was wrong. It’s an imperfect game. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Also…just because you are loud, doesn’t mean you are right

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

I do yell at games. I have refereed in the past. Too old and have health issues to do do it now. I do understand that you can see everything. Angles, blocked by players, etc. I know what you are saying concerning some of the calls mentioned.
I have say to people around me, not over and back read the rule, kicking the ball, over the back or I use to hear he's reaching in or around, so did he touch him, no then no problem.
I don't insult the refs., mention heritage or so on.
I have the biggest problem with something happens right in front of the ref and no call. Charge or block, two hands on ball handler, grabbing jersey when going thru the lane.
I am passionate about my team and want to see them win. My team is aggressive on defense and will get more fouls. I don't mind a physical game if both teams are doing it. No matter the call someone will be upset.
I have told refs good call, right call and will continue to do so. There are some young refs that are doing a good job. I

E High
All State

Post by E High »

And many wonder why coaches and referees get out early. It’s a reflection of our society. Back off people. There’s not much left.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

It is silly to ridicule an official, post-game. Besides showing your behind, what would one hope to accomplish? Even if an official missed a call, it is still a teaching moment for the coach. This is how we overcome either our mistakes or the mistakes of others. Say what you want, believe what you will, but officials at the 7th and 8th grade level don't purposely make bad calls. I'm sure the educators involved are so perfect in their teachings they've never made a boo boo. Yell all you want during the game, without getting personal, but post-game move-on. Life is short. Life is shorter when you are filled with hate and stupidity. Relax and enjoy the ride, the moment.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

I haven't noticed fan reactions being any worse this year than in years past. I have noticed officiating being more inconsistent though. We had the same officiating crew in back-to-back girls games recently. In the first game, they were ignoring (in my opinion) some obvious fouls on both teams, and the more our coach complained, the fewer calls that were made. When the crew took the floor for the second game, it was very apparent that they did not want to be there. One official had his hands in his pockets during the game. I have seen this official many times, and have never seen this kind of indifference from him. I know getting officials is tough, but if you don't want to be there, don't accept the contract. Don't penalize the kids.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Money not good enough to put up with all the stuff and BS.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

ConcernedFan740 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:57 pm After the Valley @ Wheelersburg 7th and 8th grade games last night, the 2 officials, both in their early 20’s, went to their designated locker room that is in an area that is off limits to fans. The officials also have their own exit door that is separate at Wheelersburg from where the spectators enter and exit. One official was approached by a man and woman and the woman stated: “You suck, get a new job, you’re a disgrace. Absolutely freaking terrible.” May or may not have been an expletive said by the woman as she was walking away.

Can’t leave this out. This individual is an educator at Wheelersburg Elementary School. All this interaction with the official was caught on a school camera.

Will add that the Wheelersburg School District takes great care of officials before, during, and after games. This is not a knock on the school district in any way. Just hope the appropriate conversation takes place with this individual as this is unacceptable and will not be tolerated towards our area officials.
who was the educator?

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

This has been going on forever at games. Social media has just brought more attention to it.

Until fans know going in that they will be fined or suspended from going to games for getting tossed, it will continue to go on

JBsezBELIEVE
Waterboy

Post by JBsezBELIEVE »

As hard as it is to acquire and retain both officials and coaches it would seem that schools would look around and say enough is enough. I havent seen that happen though. I gave out my phone number one year to people and asked them to apply to coach with me. I didnt get any calls lol.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Everyone should get a referee license. Problem solved

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Buckeye1972
Freshman Team

Post by Buckeye1972 »

Officials expect to be yelled at (maybe not to the extent that some people do). Sports are emotional and we expect reactions. The problem with this occurence was that the officlals were confronted after the game. High school games usually have protection for officials at the site but JH a lot of times don't. We have our young officials start at the JH and Pee Wee levels and that is where the fans are the worst. The problem isn't limited to basketball as you read the problems that have happened in little league baseball, football and soccer.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:14 pm I’ve seen the people who complain the most take the class and become officials and it’s not any better lol

What I don’t understand is why it never stops with certain fans. A fan is never going to change a call and is only going to make their own experience worse by being mad about every call. Just seems like a miserable way to watch a game.
Their life probably sucks. People that suck at life tend to hate authority and have a victim mindset.

Return to “Boys Basketball”