Minford wins share of SOC ll title with win vs Eastern

LetsRide
Waterboy

Minford wins share of SOC ll title with win vs Eastern

Post by LetsRide »

Very good game played tonight by the falcons in winning a share of their 10th SOC title. Montgomery would usually have been the story scoring 27 and lighting up from the 3 point line, but Bennett Kayser put up 43 tonight which is good for 6th best scoring night all time at minford. Hope they can finish it out and win outright, but it doesn’t mean anything without the tournament success!

art_vandelay
SE

Re: Minford wins share of SOC ll title with win vs Eastern

Post by art_vandelay »

LetsRide wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:39 pm Very good game played tonight by the falcons in winning a share of their 10th SOC title. Montgomery would usually have been the story scoring 27 and lighting up from the 3 point line, but Bennett Kayser put up 43 tonight which is good for 6th best scoring night all time at minford. Hope they can finish it out and win outright, but it doesn’t mean anything without the tournament success!
Hot take: Bennett Kayser may end up the best player in SEOhio by his senior year.*

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Congrats they were my preseason pick to win SOC for the next 3 years.

SOCFalconFan
Waterboy

Post by SOCFalconFan »

art_vandelay wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:50 pm
LetsRide wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:39 pm Very good game played tonight by the falcons in winning a share of their 10th SOC title. Montgomery would usually have been the story scoring 27 and lighting up from the 3 point line, but Bennett Kayser put up 43 tonight which is good for 6th best scoring night all time at minford. Hope they can finish it out and win outright, but it doesn’t mean anything without the tournament success!
Hot take: Bennett Kayser may end up the best player in SEOhio by his senior year.*
I don’t think that’s that hot of a take. Extremely skilled, 6’5” and still growing, will fill out. He has everything you could want as a sophomore.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

SOCFalconFan wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:27 am
I don’t think that’s that hot of a take. Extremely skilled, 6’5” and still growing, will fill out. He has everything you could want as a sophomore.
Kayser Bennett has ALL of the tools - 6'5" great length with an arm span of a 7 footer ... handles the ball, shoots the 3, takes it to the rim ... rebounds/plays defense/runs the floor ... AND he is just a sophomore!!! I haven't seen him have an off game - as he contributes so much to TEAM ... fills the napkin stat sheet every night - only a sophomore!!! - everywhere I have traveled this season there are talented SOPHOMORES contributing at the varsity level ... what an outstanding class across the region ... I'm excited to see this entire group play for the next 2 years as they will be THAT class that produces/is producing some of the best we have ever seen in SEOhio ... enjoy them ALL - including Kayser- while we have the opportunity ...

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Good luck. Now the real season starts. Nothing else matters at this point.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Minford has a really rich basketball history that truly flies under the radar.

County Champions: 1932, 1933, 1938, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, and 1952.

SOC Champs: 1948, 1949, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1995, 2013 Co-Champs, 2015, and 2023.

District Champion: 1994, and 1995.

What’s crazy is that Minford was SOC2 Champs and District Champs but Wheelersburg was State Runner Up that year to Orrville.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

They are a very, very good basketball team. Size, speed, shooting, all of the pieces are there to make a tournament run. Hopefully this is the year to get the district monkey off their back and begin a new type of legacy.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:29 am Minford has a really rich basketball history that truly flies under the radar.

SOC Champs: 1948, 1949, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1995, 2013 Co-Champs, 2015, and 2023.

What’s crazy is that Minford was SOC2 Champs and District Champs but Wheelersburg was State Runner Up that year to Orrville.
Yep...Wheelersburg beat Minford by 1 point in Regional Finals that year. Minford had beaten them both times in regular season. As has been discussed a few times on here since, Minford has not won a game at the Convo since that season. I think they end that streak this year.

Also, we talked about another it on another thread, but I think these Minford teams stack up well with the Minford teams of 1994 and 1995. Kayser starting to assert himself on the offensive end gives Minford the second scoring option they need behind Montgomery. I see them winning SOC II next 2 years as well, and really think we see a couple of District Championships from this group.*

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:44 am
Jason Vorhees wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:29 am Minford has a really rich basketball history that truly flies under the radar.

Yep...Wheelersburg beat Minford by 1 point in Regional Finals that year. Minford had beaten them both times in regular season. As has been discussed a few times on here since, Minford has not won a game at the Convo since that season. I think they end that streak this year.

Also, we talked about another it on another thread, but I think these Minford teams stack up well with the Minford teams of 1994 and 1995. Kayser starting to assert himself on the offensive end gives Minford the second scoring option they need behind Montgomery. I see them winning SOC II next 2 years as well, and really think we see a couple of District Championships from this group.*
Early in the year I said I'd give the edge to those 94-95 teams... but man, I think it's a true 50/50 or maybe a slight edge to this years team. I think Minford is THAT good. They are a matchup nightmare.

They will be terrific the next 2 years also, but I really think their best shot to win the region is this year. Not saying they will, I just think the seniors mixed in with these sophomores is a perfect recipe to make a run. Losing 6'7" Hannah and a shooter like Crank will hurt them moving forward, although I still think they will be very very good without them.

Wouldn't shock me one bit to see them in the Regional Final this year.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
LetsRide
Waterboy

Post by LetsRide »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:10 am They are a very, very good basketball team. Size, speed, shooting, all of the pieces are there to make a tournament run. Hopefully this is the year to get the district monkey off their back and begin a new type of legacy.
Exactly what I was thinking

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Agree.

PineRider
Waterboy

Post by PineRider »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:18 am
SOCFalconFan wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:27 am

Kayser Bennett has ALL of the tools - 6'5" great length with an arm span of a 7 footer ... handles the ball, shoots the 3, takes it to the rim ... rebounds/plays defense/runs the floor ... AND he is just a sophomore!!! I haven't seen him have an off game - as he contributes so much to TEAM ... fills the napkin stat sheet every night - only a sophomore!!! - everywhere I have traveled this season there are talented SOPHOMORES contributing at the varsity level ... what an outstanding class across the region ... I'm excited to see this entire group play for the next 2 years as they will be THAT class that produces/is producing some of the best we have ever seen in SEOhio ... enjoy them ALL - including Kayser- while we have the opportunity ...
I agree, the Kayser kid has it all...height, can shoot from anywhere, plays great defense and he can handle the rock. I too look for him to be POY contender the next couple of years.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:53 am

Early in the year I said I'd give the edge to those 94-95 teams... but man, I think it's a true 50/50 or maybe a slight edge to this years team. I think Minford is THAT good. They are a matchup nightmare.

They will be terrific the next 2 years also, but I really think their best shot to win the region is this year. Not saying they will, I just think the seniors mixed in with these sophomores is a perfect recipe to make a run. Losing 6'7" Hannah and a shooter like Crank will hurt them moving forward, although I still think they will be very very good without them.

Earlier in season, I was giving the edge to 94/95 squad due to the combo of Yeagle/Sommer. However, with Kayser's offensive game being more advanced than I expected this season, I think this current group is right on par with the 94/95 team.

Agreed about Minford's Regional/State window being open right now though as Hannah and Crank will be missed. A fully healthy Caudill will replace Crank's production next year, but don't know how they replicate Hannah's length on both ends of the court.*

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:01 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:53 am

Earlier in season, I was giving the edge to 94/95 squad due to the combo of Yeagle/Sommer. However, with Kayser's offensive game being more advanced than I expected this season, I think this current group is right on par with the 94/95 team.

Agreed about Minford's Regional/State window being open right now though as Hannah and Crank will be missed. A fully healthy Caudill will replace Crank's production next year, but don't know how they replicate Hannah's length on both ends of the court.*

If they stay healthy and stick it out together, this could be a very special group for Minford. Their sophomore class coil be the best Minford has ever had and maybe make a run at getting to the regional championship or maybe a State Final Four Appearance. They have size, athleticism, pure basketball ability, they can set up half court, they can run uptempo if they have the opportunity, and can shoot the ball efficiently. Defensively, they can grind it out and win a low scoring affair if needed. All the intangibles of being successful. Even though they lost against Huntington, WV, they showed extreme capability of playing with anyone in the region. I hope the best for them.

tonylip
Waterboy

Post by tonylip »

Complete domination. In the first match up Wheelersburg physically beat up Minford and took them out of everything. A complete opposite tonight. Minfords guards pressured burg and minfords bigs dominated the paint. The radio had Minford winning the boards by 15. Montgomery completely runs a team the way it should be. Kayser moved well all night and made everything. Shoemaker and Hannah were dominate inside.

Burg is a very good basketball team. I can’t believe the margin of victory. Minford defense and rebounding got better as the game went on. Burg looked tired in the second quarter. Montgomery and company play at a pace that just wears teams out.

Congrats to Minford! Completely ran through a tough SOC and still looks to be getting better!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

tonylip wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:51 pm Complete domination. In the first match up Wheelersburg physically beat up Minford and took them out of everything. A complete opposite tonight. Minfords guards pressured burg and minfords bigs dominated the paint. The radio had Minford winning the boards by 15. Montgomery completely runs a team the way it should be. Kayser moved well all night and made everything. Shoemaker and Hannah were dominate inside.

Burg is a very good basketball team. I can’t believe the margin of victory. Minford defense and rebounding got better as the game went on. Burg looked tired in the second quarter. Montgomery and company play at a pace that just wears teams out.

Congrats to Minford! Completely ran through a tough SOC and still looks to be getting better!
Congrats to the Falcons.
Definitely agree on Montgomery and really happy to hear Bennett and Jack are playing well. I've been impressed with how the upper classmen seems like they have excepted their roll and are playing well also. Great job by the coaching staff.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Hot take (part 2): Bennett Kayser may be the best player in SEOhio right now.*

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

art_vandelay wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:49 pm
Are you talking about the Burg game? I thought that score was 64-28. The 27 and 43 you listed equals 70.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:02 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:49 pm

Are you talking about the Burg game? I thought that score was 64-28. The 27 and 43 you listed equals 70.
I believe he's talking about the Eastern game. I seen the post was made on February 3rd.

Return to “Boys Basketball”