Haircuts

Ovenmit
Riding the Bench

Haircuts

Post by Ovenmit »

Some kids on some teams I've seen need haircuts. It doesn't represent your school or team in anyway. I think a lot of coaches let it go so they don't have to be confronted by the parents. Pretty sad. Sweat bads used to be worn to absorb the sweat. Now they are used to keep the hair out of their eyes. Pitiful. I guess that's the trend of today's athletics. Don't ruffle the feathers of the parents or they will have the coaches job. No support

Ovenmit
Riding the Bench

Re: Haircuts

Post by Ovenmit »

Ovenmit wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:09 am Some kids on some teams I've seen need haircuts. It doesn't represent your school or team in anyway. I think a lot of coaches let it go so they don't have to be confronted by the parents. Pretty sad. Sweat bands used to be worn to absorb the sweat. Now they are used to keep the hair out of their eyes or some dont wear one and just let their hair flop around in their eyes.Pitiful. I guess that's the trend of today's athletics. Don't ruffle the feathers of the parents or they will have the coaches job. No support

Donnie Hagglethorpe
Freshman Team

Post by Donnie Hagglethorpe »

Ovenmit wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:09 am Some kids on some teams I've seen need haircuts. It doesn't represent your school or team in anyway. I think a lot of coaches let it go so they don't have to be confronted by the parents. Pretty sad. Sweat bads used to be worn to absorb the sweat. Now they are used to keep the hair out of their eyes. Pitiful. I guess that's the trend of today's athletics. Don't ruffle the feathers of the parents or they will have the coaches job. No support
That’s one thing ole Howdee never would stand for is long hair. Then he went to Thimble and that all went out the window. When the best players refuse to conform to a rule some coaches cave.

Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Post by Almost Champions »

Carl had a specific haircut that everyone had to have and no one questioned that. We almost won the whole thing.

Flip forward to today and Coach Jeff wants the boys to cut their hair and all he hears is parents beeching.

Says everything about why our beloved ‘does are in the shape they are in. Plus we have people complaining taking kids down to mediocre Meigs and claiming our coaches can’t reed. I have no idea what that’s about. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!
Donnie Hagglethorpe
Freshman Team

Post by Donnie Hagglethorpe »

Almost Champions wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:35 am Carl had a specific haircut that everyone had to have and no one questioned that. We almost won the whole thing.

Flip forward to today and Coach Jeff wants the boys to cut their hair and all he hears is parents beeching.

Says everything about why our beloved ‘does are in the shape they are in. Plus we have people complaining taking kids down to mediocre Meigs and claiming our coaches can’t reed. I have no idea what that’s about. Maybe someone can enlighten me.
To some coaches the rules are for players that aren’t very good. If they break the rules they get disciplined. But if the best player breaks a rule, well then the coach comes up with an excuse not to enforce it. It’s a shame, but it’s the reality these days.

Ovenmit
Riding the Bench

Post by Ovenmit »

Donnie Hagglethorpe wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:40 am
Almost Champions wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:35 am Carl had a specific haircut that everyone had to have and no one questioned that. We almost won the whole thing.

To some coaches the rules are for players that aren’t very good. If they break the rules they get disciplined. But if the best player breaks a rule, well then the coach comes up with an excuse not to enforce it. It’s a shame, but it’s the reality these days.
That coach should be told to hit the trail. I'm y day it was off the ear neck and not in the eyes. .no questions asked. Parents enforced it and supported it. If not u didn't play. That's all called discipline which for the most part is a thing of the past.

Ovenmit
Riding the Bench

Post by Ovenmit »

Ovenmit wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:30 am

That coach should be told to hit the trail. In my day it was off the ear neck and not in the eyes. .no questions asked. Parents enforced it and supported it. If not u didn't play. That's all called discipline which for the most part is a thing of the past.

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

Ovenmit wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:31 am
Ovenmit wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:30 am

That coach should be told to hit the trail. In my day it was off the ear neck and not in the eyes. .no questions asked. Parents enforced it and supported it. If not u didn't play. That's all called discipline which for the most part is a thing of the past.

In our day players couldn't transfer to any school in the area they want to. Coaches have adapted. I think it is less about the parents and more about keeping players playing. I don't personally care for the long hair either but the kids do for some reason.

SOC_Fan08
Waterboy

Post by SOC_Fan08 »

This might be the most Boomer topic ever lol who cares how kids where their hair?

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

SOC_Fan08 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:39 am This might be the most Boomer topic ever lol who cares how kids where their hair?
EXACTLY

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Ovenmit wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:09 am Some kids on some teams I've seen need haircuts. It doesn't represent your school or team in anyway. I think a lot of coaches let it go so they don't have to be confronted by the parents. Pretty sad. Sweat bads used to be worn to absorb the sweat. Now they are used to keep the hair out of their eyes. Pitiful. I guess that's the trend of today's athletics. Don't ruffle the feathers of the parents or they will have the coaches job. No support
When does short hair represent your school? Boys have been having long hair going back to the 60s. Next thing you know you will have a topic on girls having too short of hair while playing sports.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Ovenmit
Riding the Bench

Post by Ovenmit »

itsme wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:46 am
SOC_Fan08 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:39 am This might be the most Boomer topic ever lol who cares how kids where their hair?
EXACTLY
You must be in the new trend of no discipline. Let them dress and look the way they want. Kids should wear the same kind of shoes and socks. All of that is called a uniform. Not an individual thing. It's a team thing. If you dress different in someway it draws attention to you and not your team. If a kid transfers because of discipline rule that kid I doubt will be successful anywhere

SOC_Fan08
Waterboy

Post by SOC_Fan08 »

Ovenmit wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:06 pm
EXACTLY
You must be in the new trend of no discipline. Let them dress and look the way they want. Kids should wear the same kind of shoes and socks. All of that is called a uniform. Not an individual thing. It's a team thing. If you dress different in someway it draws attention to you and not your team. If a kid transfers because of discipline rule that kid I doubt will be successful anywhere
No I agree with the socks and shoes thing if the shoes can be afforded by all players some kids have parents that can’t afford the team shoe seen first hand playing and coaching many different sports but hair cuts? No that is just dumb and antiquated. You can be a disciplined athlete and not have a high top fade.

celticpride
Freshman Team

Post by celticpride »

This topic needs deleted. Just giving people a chance to bash coaches for different sets of rules and how they discipline players. Every program is different. Just like when you get a job, every workplace will have different policies. Some people will complain no matter what the set of rules/policies are. Some will follow and do their job. Everyone has their own opinion. This site is good for talking basketball.

Unckle Ralph
Waterboy

Post by Unckle Ralph »

Team rules have to be approved by the administration and be in step with the BOE Student Handbook. I suppose kids with tattoos shouldn’t play or kids that don’t wear certain shoes because they like a specific brand of shoes. Unless you’ve been living under a rock personal expression is not only acceptable but now pushed to be more of an individual. Some basketball shoes can be in the $200 range, which some parents or guardians just can’t afford.
I had a player grow their hair out for locks of love to donate for kids with cancer to be made into a wig, he gave me 15 and 10 and was the most respected player on the team and a leader in the school. I suppose coaches should wear suites and ties?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

EXACTLY
Agree, it’s a privilege to represent your school. Cover up the darn tats too

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

SOC_Fan08 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:16 pm

EXACTLY
No I agree with the socks and shoes thing if the shoes can be afforded by all players some kids have parents that can’t afford the team shoe seen first hand playing and coaching many different sports but hair cuts? No that is just dumb and antiquated. You can be a disciplined athlete and not have a high top fade.
High top Fade?! Hell with that! If I was coaching I would demand my kids have waist length dreadlocks! Can’t play cool if you don’t look cool!

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Silly season has started early.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

EXACTLY
So, if a kid or 2 wears shoes that hurts his feet just to match his teammates while he is playing and have to sit out a game or 2 that's ok with you. How dumb are you?

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

theyoungprodigy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:30 pm

EXACTLY
So you’re telling me ur gonna cry over how kids hair looks. I agree with the socks and shoe thing but it’s just hair it has nothing to do with discipline I think you just need to log off for the day. :lol:
So, if a kid wears shoes that hurts his feet just to match his teammates and have to sit out a game or two, that will ok with you. How dumb

Return to “Boys Basketball”