D3 Tournament Thread

Dragonguy13
Freshman Team

Re: D3 Tournament Thread

Post by Dragonguy13 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:33 pm
MattyIce wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:24 am North Adams will beat Valley in the District Semis.
I don't know, maybe. We're all probably a little too down on Valley. End of the day - Copley and Buckle are two very talented kids. Another 1000 point scorer in Arnett, and a 6'8" kid in the middle. I got a feeling they figure it out before tournament.
From the outside eyes of one, ME….I think you’re right. If anyone can knock Minford off the tracks on the way, I put my money on Valley.

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

Dragonguy13 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:47 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:33 pm
MattyIce wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:24 am North Adams will beat Valley in the District Semis.
I don't know, maybe. We're all probably a little too down on Valley. End of the day - Copley and Buckle are two very talented kids. Another 1000 point scorer in Arnett, and a 6'8" kid in the middle. I got a feeling they figure it out before tournament.
From the outside eyes of one, ME….I think you’re right. If anyone can knock Minford off the tracks on the way, I put my money on Valley.
Minford has that edge that teams like Valley don't. It takes a different breed to do like they do. They follow their leader in Myles. Valley is trying to force a leader and it isn't gonna get the job done.

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

pembrook burrows III wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:58 pm IMO, it was no coincidence that South Point, Fairland, and Portsmouth were all voted into the same district sub-bracket. Nobody outside the OVC wants to face any of those squads in the early rounds.

I know s.p. scrimmaged minford preseason.. and it wasn't really close in the pointers favor.... i also know it was a scrimmage an this and that. South Point is good.. big, athletic, but inconsistent at times.. if they're locked in they have the highest ceiling.

tonylip
Waterboy

Post by tonylip »

Rza1 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:20 am
pembrook burrows III wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:58 pm IMO, it was no coincidence that South Point, Fairland, and Portsmouth were all voted into the same district sub-bracket. Nobody outside the OVC wants to face any of those squads in the early rounds.

I know s.p. scrimmaged minford preseason.. and it wasn't really close in the pointers favor.... i also know it was a scrimmage an this and that. South Point is good.. big, athletic, but inconsistent at times.. if they're locked in they have the highest ceiling.
Agree!! Great point! They did scrimmage. Minfords 1st scrimmage after less than a full week of practice. Minford had all their stuff in and was firing at full speed. Their ceiling is the basement! Lol

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I've seen Valley twice and South Point twice, and they're both very good. Valley let one slip away the other night at home vs. Wheelersburg, with the Pirates 2nd half defense being the difference. If the Indians can take advantage of Stewart down low, they become much more dangerous. He is a size mismatch for about everybody, and with the guards surrounding him, that gives VHS a well rounded offense.

South Point beat Portsmouth twice, convincingly the 1st time and a buzzer beater in OT the 2nd go around. They also have a well rounded team led by the Lovely kid who is difficult to defend because he is versatile offensively. They have some size like Valley and have some depth off the bench. They beat Fairland and Ironton twice, lost only 1 OVC game, and have a 12 game conference winning streak. Their only loss was to Chesapeake.

North Adams beat Portsmouth 72-70, with the Copas kid making the game winning assist with 4 seconds to play. NA doesn't have a prolific inside presence like Valley does, but they can hit the 3 ball and have all 5 players that can score. Defensively, the Trojans gave the Green Devils trouble especially Devin Lattimore driving to the basket. If they were to play Valley, they might have a matchup problem with Levi Stewart. Not saying they couldn't win, but that would be a challenge. I know they're not in our bracket, but I think Valley would be a tougher matchup for the Trojans given what I've seen of the Indians and the Green Devils.

Haven't seen Minford yet, but will see them next Friday at Portsmouth. I think the Falcons will win, but the Trojans have been competitive (10 points or less margin) in most of their games this season. Going into the tourney, MHS has the bullseye as the favorite. That alone can weigh on a team's performance. I know the Falcons have good size, but Myles Montgomery gives this team the best chance of any SE district school to advance to the Final 4. Only loss for MHS was to a very good Huntington (WV) team, a game in which the Falcons had a 2nd half lead.

Maybe this is overhype to some, but I was very impressed with how Wheelersburg was able to overcome a 15 point deficit at Valley to come away with a win. What I saw that night was a Pirate team which shared the ball, buckled down on D in the 2nd half, and made their FT's in the final minutes. The Schwamburger kid was a calming influence on the whole team, and when he has the ball, good things seem to happen. Of course the thing that always is prevalent when playing the Burg is the name on the front of the jersey. That seems to cause teams to not be at their best.

Some potentially good matchups in D3. I'd like for my Trojans to join the party but I'm just not feeling it right now, although we have lost to SP, NA, and the Burg by a total of 14 points (not counting the 1st SP win).

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

tonylip wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:58 am
Rza1 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:20 am

Agree!! Great point! They did scrimmage. Minfords 1st scrimmage after less than a full week of practice. Minford had all their stuff in and was firing at full speed. Their ceiling is the basement! Lol

...I know you are but what sm i....? Lol. Needa little thicker skin there, lip... I know it was early and it was a scrimmage..that's why I acknowledged it... jus sayin s.p. has a lotta size an a lotta athletes.... minford is very good. Would love ta see that match up..there's a lot of parody out there...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Games on 2/21

West vs Eastern Brown…neither team playing great. Eastern has a great coach but I think West takes this one at home by 5

Peebles vs Portsmouth…not easy to play in Peebles but both teams are well coached. I see Portsmouth being really up for this and moving on and give South Point a matchup they’d rather not have in a sectional. Portsmouth by 11

Rock Hill vs Oak Hill….border rivals. Rock Hill at home but Oak Hill a nice mix that could pull off this mild upset. I’m taking RH by 2 in a tight one though

Belpre vs Adena…..I’m taking the #20 seed over the #13 seed despite the crazy long road trip. Adena by 7

Westfall vs Piketon…my only hesitation is this is a 3rd matchup. The office of Cline and Campbell too much. Westfall by 13….then an interesting matchup with Valley

Chesapeake vs Meigs…I’ve seen them both and in that one time Meigs was the better team. Meigs long trip down thf river and it’s tough to play at Peake. Neutral site I’m taking the physical Meigs team. At Peake I’ll go Peake by 5. If Meigs wins it won’t be an upset in my mind.

Nelsonville vs Wellston….good draw for both. Nelsonville holds home court. Buckeyes by 12

Lynchburg vs Coal Grove…Lynchburg senior laden and Coal Grove will keep wondering “are we there yet?” Lynchburg by 9

Northwest vs Southeastern….in the directional battle, Northwest is too much for the school that is Northeast of them. NW by 18

Fairland vs Huntington ….more fun travels. Fairland by 15

Wheelersburg vs Crooksville….lol enjoy this trip too. Ceramics in for a battle at Burg by 19

Valley vs West Union…West Union won their last game by nearly 50…this ain’t St Patrick. Valley by 26

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I’ll give it a shot:

Eastern Brown by 4
Portsmouth by 9
Oak Hill by 3
Belpre by 2
Westfall by 13, could be tight though
Chesapeake by 8
Nelsonville by 15
Lynchburg by 13, playing really well right now
Northwest by 22
Fairland by 20, take the over in this game
Wheelersburg by 27
Valley by 37

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Sectional Finals

Minford vs West….Minford ain’t losing. Falcons by 20

Northwest vs Lynchburg…coin toss. Northwest at home and Lynchburg Clay seniors have been tough. If northwest doesn’t lead all game….LC will advance. I’m taking the Mustangs by 4

North Adams vs Belpre….I went against Belpre for my only loss last round…..7 miles through Washington county, 40 miles through Athens county, 3 miles through Meigs county, 7 miles through Vinton county, 25 miles through Jackson county, 27 miles through Pike County (watch the deer) and 21 miles through Adams county….all just to land in Seaman. Belpre either keeps it crazy tight or gets blown out. North Adams by 19

Valley vs Westfall….this has the 84-81 in OT potential if the office of Cline and Clark are firing. Going with the Indians at home by 13 though

Fairland vs Nelsonville…..whether by train or hiking in their Rocky boots, Nelsonville is in for a long haul and up against one of the best coaches. Every ounce of pressure is on the fire breathing lizards…..Dragons by 14

Wheelersburg vs Chesapeake….Barrick vs Pierson…oops! Burg by 15

Zane Trace vs Rock Hill…..hey coach are we almost there? No clue kid, I’ve never been to Kinnnickinickinickinick. (Bus driver)…,why are there 2 roundabouts? Pioneers by 9

South Point vs Portsmouth….dangerous dangerous matchup. South Point needs to keep their composure all-around….this could be a tough one. Pointers by 15, but buyer beware but South Point is really good and should get it done.
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonguy13
Freshman Team

Post by Dragonguy13 »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:03 pm Sectional Finals

Northwest vs Lynchburg…coin toss. Northwest at home and Lynchburg Clay seniors have been tough. If northwest doesn’t lead all game….LC will advance. I’m taking the Mustangs by 4

North Adams vs Belpre….I went against Belpre for my only loss last round…..7 miles through Washington county, 40 miles through Athens county, 3 miles through Meigs county, 7 miles through Vinton county, 25 miles through Jackson county, 27 miles through Pike County (watch the deer) and 21 miles through Adams county….all just to land in Seaman. Belpre either keeps it crazy tight or gets blown out. North Adams by 19

Valley vs Westfall….this has the 84-81 in OT potential if the office of Cline and Campbell are firing. Going with the Indians at home by 13 though

Fairland vs Nelsonville…..whether by train or hiking in their Rocky boots, Nelsonville is in for a long haul and up against one of the best coaches. Every ounce of pressure is on the fire breathing lizards…..Dragons by 14

Zane Trace vs Rock Hill…..hey coach are we almost there? No clue kid, I’ve never been to Kinnnickinickinickinick. (Bus driver)…,why are there 2 roundabouts? Pioneers by 9

South Point vs Portsmouth….dangerous dangerous matchup. South Point needs to keep their composure all-around….this could be a tough one. Pointers by 15, but buyer beware but South Point is really good and should get it done.
Great rundown! For some reason I read that whole thing in a Chris Berman voice in my head, lol. I also agree with all your outcomes. Think FHS/NY will be a tight one. SP will be aware of the Port upset potential but prevail. I think RH battles ZT somewhat closely. Great lineup of games!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Valley vs Westfall….this has the 84-81 in OT potential if the office of Cline and Clark are firing. Going with the Indians at home by 13 though

Got them all right

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:15 pm

Got them all right
Including the Zane Trace merry-go-rounds. LOL

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Even though they lost I read some interesting tidbits from Twitter

Rock Hill defeated Oak Hill in the sectional semis…it was their first tournament win since defeating Vinton County in 2000

Westfall had their first back to back .500+ seasons since 1998-99 and 1999-00

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Fairland vs South Point has been moved from Tuesday 6:00 at Jackson to Wednesday at 7:00 in Ironton

I assume due to Fairland girls playing regional semi at Zanesville on Tuesday at 6:00

bc181700
Freshman Team

Post by bc181700 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:11 pm Fairland vs South Point has been moved from Tuesday 6:00 at Jackson to Wednesday at 7:00 in Ironton

I assume due to Fairland girls playing regional semi at Zanesville on Tuesday at 6:00
That’s exactly right, and I believe the Tuesday night Burg vs ZT start time is moved to 7:00pm in Jackson.

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:11 pm Fairland vs South Point has been moved from Tuesday 6:00 at Jackson to Wednesday at 7:00 in Ironton

Really surprised that the all knowing governing body agreed to this.. I have no problem with it... but they wouldn't budge last week when 2 teams raised concerns about playing in East palestine....lol. they said be there or forfeit..
And forfeit they did..... missing the girls regional semifinal.... potentially being exposed to life altering toxic air and poisoned water... tough call....lol

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Rza1 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:45 am

Really surprised that the all knowing governing body agreed to this.. I have no problem with it... but they wouldn't budge last week when 2 teams raised concerns about playing in East palestine....lol. they said be there or forfeit..
And forfeit they did..... missing the girls regional semifinal.... potentially being exposed to life altering toxic air and poisoned water... tough call....lol
They’ve adjusted for this situation nearly every year

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Agree, SE District reps have done a great job at adjusting to situations each year. I've seen it countless times. Props to them!

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Valley91
Waterboy

Post by Valley91 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:33 am
socsportsfan1 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:46 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:59 pm If I’m not mistaken fan of the youth is a Valley fan.

Whether they got the 4 or 5 that wouldn’t have changed their matchup….. and I don’t see why they would have been able to jump up to #3 over Zane Trace.

All in all, I think the coaches did a very good job across all 3 brackets this year. Sure, a team could possibly move a spot or so….. but I’m not seeing any extreme outliers in any division
Agreed. Personally, I like Valley's path to the District Final more than I do Zane Trace's.
I would agree with that. Valley has a slightly “easier” path to the district final, but then Minford will (most likely) be waiting there. I’d imagine most teams were hoping to avoid Minford.

In my personal opinion, of all the D3 teams that might be able to knock off Minford —- Valley is at the top of that list. It’s tough to beat a team 3 times in a season and players from both teams have played against each other since they were in elementary school. If both can get there, that would be a fun District final matchup.
IMO Valley can definitely play with Minford. Both games they played this year went to wire. If I’m not mistaken both games was decided by four points.

2Time
Freshman Team

Post by 2Time »

Hey Everyone, just a heads up BMG Media will be carrying the following games tomorrow night.

Minford Vs. Lynchburg Clay
Zane Trace Vs. Wheelersburg
North Adams Vs. Valley

All games will be on our Youtube Channel. Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/@bmgmedia9882/streams

Return to “Boys Basketball”