SEOPS Hippo

Re: D3 Tournament Thread

Post by Ironman92 »

AHS_Stephens
JV Team

Post by AHS_Stephens »

Official OHSAA Seed Procedures:

The Board of Directors established date for ALL seeding and drawing meetings in Ohio is
Sunday, January 29, 2023, at 2 p.m. for GIRLS, and Sunday, February 5, 2023, at 2 p.m. for BOYS.
In all Sectional tournaments that precede District tournaments, seeding is mandatory in the Sectional. In District tournaments NOT preceded by Sectional tournaments, seeding is mandatory. This is interpreted that at least one seeding is to take place in either the Sectional or District tournament. ALL teams assigned to the tournament shall be seeded. The following seeding method shall prevail for all OHSAA-sponsored basketball tournaments. For purposes of seeding, the last games to be counted will be those played on the date established by the District Athletic Board.
Basketball Tournament Seeding Procedures When Online Seeding Takes Place Athletic Districts with online seeding will provide all managers with the required procedures. In Athletic Districts utilizing online seeding, it is important for managers to communicate instructions and deadlines clearly and concisely for the submission of votes.

1. Coaches will submit their win/loss records online and will include the number of wins and losses in the divisions of the teams played.
Example: in a schedule that has played 20 games to date:

Division I:
14 wins 2 losses

Division II:
2 wins 1 loss

Division III:
1 win 10 Losses

Overall Record: 17-3

All games played to date shall be recorded.

2. Voting will be done to seed teams.

A. All head coaches shall vote via the online ballot, which shall be made public, selecting their
choice for the number 1 seeded team. The team with the greatest number of votes shall be
seeded “Number 1’, second highest #2, etc., until all teams are seeded

B. In the event of a tie, the tiebreaker is based on the number of votes at or above the tied
position. Should a tie occur a second time, a flip of a coin shall determine the seeded team. The school to call the toss will be the first one to appear in an alphabetic listing of the schools without the use of the respective city name unless the city name is part of the official school name. Selection will go from A-Z in even-numbered years; to Z-A in odd-numbered years.

C. Seeding process:
a. There shall be a two-point differential between the first and second seeds. (i.e., If there are
20 teams, a first seed will receive 20 points, second seed will receive 18 points)
b. There shall be a one-point differential between all subsequent seeds.
c. A school’s point total shall be calculated by dropping the highest and lowest vote they have
received.

d. A school shall not vote for itself.

e. If a school fails to vote, their second high score will also be dropped from their point total.

D. The results of the electronic voting shall be made public by the manager prior to the draw meeting.

NOTE: During the 2022-23 Season the OHSAA will be conducting a pilot study on the use of the Martin RPI system. The Northwest District will be using this system to seed their teams instead of having coaches submit votes.

3. Placement on brackets - After teams are seeded, placement of teams on brackets shall occur.

A. Seeded Teams shall make, in order of their seed, their choice of placement in the tournament

bracket. Where applicable, District level sites will be known ahead of the tournament drawing
process.

B. Passing on bracket placement: The number of schools advancing to the district tournament may pass. All others must place themselves in the bracket when their seed is called. (i.e., If 8 teams are advancing to the District tournament, Seeds 1 through 8 may pass; teams with a seed greater than 8 must go on the bracket.)

C. At each point where a seeded team places itself on the bracket, the seeds above that team that previously passed shall be given the option to place themselves on the bracket, starting with the highest seed going first. Those teams may choose to pass again. Example: Seed No. 1 places itself on the bracket. Seeds No. 2 and 3 passes. Seed No. 4 places itself in the bracket. Instead of going to Seed No. 5, Seed No. 2 shall then be given the option to place itself in the bracket, followed by Seed No. 3.

4. Teams absent from the draw – District Athletic Boards or their designees overseeing the tournament
the draw shall be provided with the cellular phone numbers of head coaches and athletic administrators
listed in myOHSAA prior to the draw/seed meeting. If no school representative is present for the
tournament draw/seed meeting, and whether the meeting is in-person or virtual, a District Athletic Board member or the board’s designee overseeing the tournament draw shall attempt to call the head
coach and/or athletic administrator from the school(s) not present in order for a representative from the missing school(s) to participate in the tournament draw/seed meeting electronically/virtually.

a. If a school representative is not able to be contacted, placement on the bracket will be in
accordance with the District Athletic Board policy 11

5. Tournament managers will distribute brackets to representatives of the participating teams.

a. All brackets shall designate the date and time of the game.

b. Home teams will wear Home (White) Jerseys throughout the tournament.

6. Tournament managers should report final scores to their appointed District Athletic Board member.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

Mr. Stephens thank you for the post. But my team team still was slighted! Lol The debate makes this site fun.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Piketon travels to Westfall this coming Friday and then back again for the opening round. Will this happen with any other contests in D3?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Fan of the youth wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:42 pm Mr. Stephens thank you for the post. But my team team still was slighted! Lol The debate makes this site fun.
Who is your team?

Barney
Waterboy

Post by Barney »

Where do you see how each coach voted?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Barney wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:04 pm Where do you see how each coach voted?
Supposed to be private among the coaches, but usually people find out one way or another.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Crooksville to Wheelersburg for the win!

Adena to Belpre is lengthy

Coal Grove to Lynchburg Clay is fun too.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

If I’m not mistaken fan of the youth is a Valley fan.

Whether they got the 4 or 5 that wouldn’t have changed their matchup….. and I don’t see why they would have been able to jump up to #3 over Zane Trace.

All in all, I think the coaches did a very good job across all 3 brackets this year. Sure, a team could possibly move a spot or so….. but I’m not seeing any extreme outliers in any division

Watching SE Ohio basketball
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:59 pm If I’m not mistaken fan of the youth is a Valley fan.

Whether they got the 4 or 5 that wouldn’t have changed their matchup….. and I don’t see why they would have been able to jump up to #3 over Zane Trace.

All in all, I think the coaches did a very good job across all 3 brackets this year. Sure, a team could possibly move a spot or so….. but I’m not seeing any extreme outliers in any division
Valley played a tougher schedule than ZT or NA, but also had more losses and not really any signature wins that coaches in the SE would care about.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

My gripe would be of I'm NA, they DRUBBED ZT and only had a few more losses.

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:59 pm If I’m not mistaken fan of the youth is a Valley fan.

Agreed. Personally, I like Valley's path to the District Final more than I do Zane Trace's.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

coop wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:39 pm My gripe would be of I'm NA, they DRUBBED ZT and only had a few more losses.
NA and ZT didn’t play this year. No idea why that says that on maxpreps. ZT’s losses are to Vinton Co, Miami Trace and Warren

NA beat Chesapeake on 11/29

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:42 pm Portsmouth is the #18 seed? Yikes

That's what happens when you lose more games then you win.

But , when is the last time Portsmouth high school has been seeded that low in Bball?

Unckle Ralph
Waterboy

Post by Unckle Ralph »

Belpre a 13 seed?? 🤬

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Pinwheel wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:13 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:42 pm Portsmouth is the #18 seed? Yikes

That's what happens when you lose more games then you win.

But , when is the last time Portsmouth high school has been seeded that low in Bball?
On a neutral court I wonder how we’d all pick them against the 8-18 seeds?

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

My comments were in jest. I feel with Valley playing so many Div 4 teams and their record against the Div 4 teams lowered their seeding. However the extra game will help ease the long layoff.

Return to “Boys Basketball”