Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Final Edition 2022-23

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Final Edition 2022-23

Post by OHHS old timer »

OHHS old timer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:26 pm
FIDO wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:28 pm Pfloyd's Elite 8 is always the best place to find unbiased, real talk on teams throughout the region.
That's a fact...Jack!! Yet another fine year Pfloyd..I wish you continued health for more Elite 8 news. You really are the Prince of the Napkin Stats....lol
And one year...hopefully soon....my Mighty Oaks will be back!!

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:36 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:26 pm You are a joy each year Pfloyd and everywhere I go to high school basketball,people are trying to pick you out of the crowd. For some you are the reason for the season. Have a great summer !
... thanks so much Hoopie74 ... we've talked throughout the years my friend - we are much alike in that we truly enjoy high school basketball - the whole atmosphere surrounding the game -from appreciating the players, the coaches, the fans ... no dog in the fight at games for me - I hope I come across in a positive way when reporting on the games I cover ... and you too on the summer Hoopie - I need full reports on your Indians this summer !!! LOL ...
I will be watching the Indians closely. I believe they have pieces coming up from Jr high up thru high school. I'm excited. Will keep you up to date.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

hannancoach wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:35 am
Hoopie74 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:26 pm You are a joy each year Pfloyd and everywhere I go to high school basketball,people are trying to pick you out of the crowd. For some you are the reason for the season. Have a great summer !
... thanks so much Hoopie74 ... we've talked throughout the years my friend - we are much alike in that we truly enjoy high school basketball - the whole atmosphere surrounding the game -from appreciating the players, the coaches, the fans ... no dog in the fight at games for me - I hope I come across in a positive way when reporting on the games I cover ... and you too on the summer Hoopie - I need full reports on your Indians this summer !!! LOL ...
Whats the reason for the BroMance? I never even heard of this dude before. Only reason I say anything now is cuz he made a preseason/offseason ranking list and then backtracked when he realized he left out some perdy good baseketball teams. I mean make a better list based on more research and then have the cajones to stand by it.
...I assume the "list" you are referring to is on the other thread ... there's no back tracking - if you read - the list are teams that were young THIS season that I expect good, big things from this upcoming season ... of course I'm going to leave out teams - there's 71 of them ... "I do my homework" as best I can - I do have a day job ... never perfect ... and yeah, I STAND BY MY LIST as a list of young teams from this season who WILL be even better next season ...

Jackson ... ended the season playing 4 freshmen getting big time minutes Charlie Woodard, Ryan Seimetz (started pretty much all season) , Stephen Jenkins, Bodhi Wolford ... will have Boston Campbell, Zander Ervin, Dillan Delong returning as the veteran seniors next winter ...

Unioto ... will return a bunch from a rotation of Zeke Schobelock/Kb Perkins, Newton Hoops, Blake Hoops, Blake Fitch freshman pg this season,, Jordan Perkins, Ashton Crace, Connor Dollison,Caden Cutright ... 18+ wins in 2023-24

Warren ... from this past season the Warriors had a roster of 10 sophs, 1 jr, 1 senior ... a 9-10 man rotation ... next season led by lone senior Trent Taylor (6-6) ... PG/SG Julian Stadelman, bigs Chase Lupardus, Hayden Wells, shooting guard Connor Barry, Nick Cressey, Jacob Sealey, Tyson Cochran, AJ Criss ... throw in the outstanding coaching staff - instant top 8 ...

Vinton County ... Coach Nj Kight had an outstanding freshman season at VC taking over for legendary coach Coach Combs ... a couple of the best bigs on the same team in the TVC and SEOhio in Ashton Allman/Owen Hire ... Cobra Sharp (pg) ... one of the best players in SEOhio in shooting guard/swing forward Garrett Brown ... rotation players from this past season - Ashton Tritipo/Parker Shonborn, Matt Hembree ... top 8 in the preseason

OVC teams on my list of teams to watch that were young last season ...

Fairland ...Coach Speed's Dragons weren't the Dragons of years past - but they weren't bad ... within a buzzer beating 3 pointer by Caleb Lovely (SP) of advancing to the District finals at the Convo ... outstanding guards returning -still youngsters with lots of varsity experience after last season - Chase Allen, Brody Buchanan, Will Davis - great group to build around for 23-24 ... add to the mix Cliff Fransen/Trevor Lauder ... I'm keeping an eye the Dragons

Chesapeake ... Coach Ater had the Panthers ready for every game last season, boasted being the only team to beat South Point in Ohio until the post season Regional Final ... Dannie Maynard, Braxton Oldaker, Jacob Skeens, Phillip Thacker - freshman this past season ... Caleb Cox/Camron Shockley - grade levels ... the record will improve from this season for sure ...

South Point ... Regional finalist - I don't need to say much more ... Caleb Lovely - one of the best players in Southern Ohio at 6-3 the jr/senior to be can do it all offensively ... Lovely 6-3 will be joined by Xathan Haney 6-3, Carter Smith 6-3, Jackson Childers 6-6, Braydon Hanshaw 6-3 ... deep run this season ... top 8 personnel

Eastern Pike ... youngsters last season, outstanding game vs Federal Hocking in the post season ... Tucker Leist/Jace White/Brewer Tomlison as a freshmen big man this past season will get bigger and better in the paint /Teagan Werner /Dylan Morton were all in the rotation ... experienced gained will turn into W's in 23-24 ...

Trimble ... 22-23 all new starting lineup for Coach Caldwell ... all juniors last season, all got varsity experience ... Brandon Burdette/Kaden Kempton/ Levi Weber/ Michael Clark/ Cole Wright/Tyler Hill soph/Chase Patton soph ... bounce back season for the Tomcats

... more to come ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:01 pm
hannancoach wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:35 am

Whats the reason for the BroMance? I never even heard of this dude before. Only reason I say anything now is cuz he made a preseason/offseason ranking list and then backtracked when he realized he left out some perdy good baseketball teams. I mean make a better list based on more research and then have the cajones to stand by it.
...I assume the "list" you are referring to is on the other thread ... there's no back tracking - if you read - the list are teams that were young THIS season that I expect good, big things from this upcoming season ... of course I'm going to leave out teams - there's 71 of them ... "I do my homework" as best I can - I do have a day job ... never perfect ... and yeah, I STAND BY MY LIST as a list of young teams from this season who WILL be even better next season ...

Jackson ... ended the season playing 4 freshmen getting big time minutes Charlie Woodard, Ryan Seimetz (started pretty much all season) , Stephen Jenkins, Bodhi Wolford ... will have Boston Campbell, Zander Ervin, Dillan Delong returning as the veteran seniors next winter ...

Unioto ... will return a bunch from a rotation of Zeke Schobelock/Kb Perkins, Newton Hoops, Black Hoops, Blake Fitch freshman pg this season,, Jordan Perkins, Ashton Crace, Connor Dollison,Caden Cutright ... 18+ wins in 2023-24

Warren ... from this past season the Warriors had a roster of 10 sophs, 1 jr, 1 senior ... a 9-10 man rotation ... next season led by lone senior Trent Taylor (6-6) ... PG/SG Julian Stadelman, bigs Chase Lupardus, Hayden Wells, shooting guard Connor Barry, Nick Cressey, Jacob Sealey, Tyson Cochran, AJ Criss ... throw in the outstanding coaching staff - instant top 8 ...

Vinton County ... Coach Nj Kight had an outstanding freshman season at VC taking over for legendary coach Coach Combs ... a couple of the best bigs on the same team in the TVC and SEOhio in Ashton Allman/Owen Hire ... Cobra Sharp (pg) ... one of the best players in SEOhio in shooting guard/swing forward Garrett Brown ... rotation players from this past season - Ashton Tritipo/Parker Shonborn, Matt Hembree ... top 8 in the preseason

OVC teams on my list of teams to watch that were young last season ...

Fairland ...Coach Speed's Dragons weren't the Dragons of years past - but they weren't bad ... within a buzzer beating 3 pointer by Caleb Lovely (SP) of advancing to the District finals at the Convo ... outstanding guards returning -still youngsters with lots of varsity experience after last season - Chase Allen, Brody Buchanan, Will Davis - great group to build around for 23-24 ... add to the mix Cliff Fransen/Trevor Lauder ... I'm keeping an eye the Dragons

Chesapeake ... Coach Ater had the Panthers ready for every game last season, boasted being the only team to beat South Point in Ohio until the post season Regional Final ... Dannie Maynard, Braxton Oldaker, Jacob Skeens, Phillip Thacker - freshman this past season ... Caleb Cox/Camron Shockley - grade levels ... the record will improve from this season for sure ...

South Point ... Regional finalist - I don't need to say much more ... Caleb Lovely - one of the best players in Southern Ohio at 6-3 the jr/senior to be can do it all offensively ... Lovely 6-3 will be joined by Xathan Haney 6-3, Carter Smith 6-3, Jackson Childers 6-6, Braydon Hanshaw 6-3 ... deep run this season ... top 8 personnel

Eastern Pike ... youngster last season, outstanding game vs Federal Hocking in the post season ... Tucker Leist/Jace White/Brewer Tomlison as a freshmen big man this past season will get bigger and better in the paint /Teagan Werner /Dylan Morton were all in the rotation ... experienced gained will turn into W's in 23-24 ...

Trimble ... 22-23 all new starting lineup for Coach Caldwell ... all juniors last season, all got varsity experience ... Brandon Burdette/Kaden Kempton/ Levi Weber/ Michael Clark/ Cole Wright/Tyler Hill soph/Chase Patton soph ... bounce back season for the Tomcats

... more to come ...
The opportunities are there for next year's Warren team to go from a good season to a great season.Would like to see Lupardus become the post player I know he can be and for Barry to gain some mass this off-season. Also really liked how Cressey finished this year but he needs to develop farther in order to become a scoring threat. Already toughening up next years schedule with the addition of Parkersburg South and Fed Hock.

Go Blue
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Coaching positions still open as we head into April - open gyms are on the calendars , have seen coaches holding "camps" for the younger players during Spring Break in some schools ...

Schools looking for Head Coaches still:

Logan Elm
Waverly
Portsmouth
South Webster
Ironton St. Joseph

... any others???

Logan filled their opening with Coach Rich Bell ... Portsmouth rumors about Jeff Lisath (Dayton Northridge) ... South Webster - Norm Persin & his 766 wins has been mentioned ... Waverly - Coach Kevin Weakley (Worthington Christian) has his name in the hat with an interview this coming week/Coach Arey (Peebles) was bantered around but not happening apparently ... haven't read or seen anything from ISJ ... Logan Elm - will long time assistant Coach Jeff Holbert take the reigns ? - his son Tanner will be playing college hoops at I believe Muskingum , will that take Coach Holbert out of the picture at LE ? ... it's been quiet from the Northwest Territories since Coach Stiverson announced he was stepping down after 24 years ...

... going to be an interesting few weeks in April ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the pieces are coming together :

Logan hires Coach Bell
South Webster hires Coach Norm Persin
Logan Elm hires Coach Dropsey
Waverly hires Coach Bradley
Ironton St. Joseph hires Coach Ed Fry

Portsmouth? Coach Lisath to be hired this week?
Huntington Ross ??? anyone hearing any names being mentioned? Coach John Bruce long time JV coach at Unioto ??? lives in the Chillicothe area? I haven't heard any names - thinking out loud here only ...
Westfall??? Coach Meister stepped down at the end of February - did I miss a hire at Westfall?

What other openings have I missed that will have changes at the top come the 2023-24 campaigns?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I believe there was a change at Paint Valley.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:42 pm ... the pieces are coming together :

Logan hires Coach Bell
South Webster hires Coach Norm Persin
Logan Elm hires Coach Dropsey
Waverly hires Coach Bradley
Ironton St. Joseph hires Coach Ed Fry
Portsmouth to hire Coach Lisath Thursday night - welcome home Coach Lisath ...

... a bunch of good hires as the head coaches here! Norm with 778 wins, Coach Lisath with over 300 wins on his resume' - over 1000 W's between the 2 head coaches alone!

Huntington Ross ??? anyone hearing any names being mentioned? Coach John Bruce long time JV coach at Unioto ??? lives in the Chillicothe area? I haven't heard any names - thinking out loud here only ...
Westfall??? Coach Meister stepped down at the end of February - did I miss a hire at Westfall?
Paint Valley? I haven't read or seen that the HC stepped down but smurray brought it up -anyone know for sure on this one?

What other openings have I missed that will have changes at the top come the 2023-24 campaigns?

Ovc04
Waterboy

Post by Ovc04 »

Can’t wait to see the top 8 next year the choke artist will be at the top even know the regional finalist from this year should be.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Rick Uhrig out of retirement to lead the Huntsmen!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

smurray wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:16 pm Rick Uhrig out of retirement to lead the Huntsmen!!
... I like Coach Uhrig! look forward to driving over to Huntington HS to touch bases with Coach U! good coach, even better person ...

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

pfloyd wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:44 pm
smurray wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:16 pm Rick Uhrig out of retirement to lead the Huntsmen!!
... I like Coach Uhrig! look forward to driving over to Huntington HS to touch bases with Coach U! good coach, even better person ...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Listening to Coach Lisath at his appearance at PHS to meet the team last Tuesday, it was music to Trojan fans ears to hear him say, "We're going to run and press, run and press, run and press, run and press, and run and press. Getting back to how the Trojans thrived on that for years. Also excited to hear that he is going to challenge our kids schedule wise. Not making any win predictions, but the SE district and the OVC are going to see a different Trojan team in their style of play. A Trojan team ready and in shape to run and use the whole court defensively.

Super excited to see the Coach Lisath led Trojans in 2023-24.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

trojandave wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:04 pm Listening to Coach Lisath at his appearance at PHS to meet the team last Tuesday, it was music to Trojan fans ears to hear him say, "We're going to run and press, run and press, run and press, run and press, and run and press. Getting back to how the Trojans thrived on that for years. Also excited to hear that he is going to challenge our kids schedule wise. Not making any win predictions, but the SE district and the OVC are going to see a different Trojan team in their style of play. A Trojan team ready and in shape to run and use the whole court defensively.

Super excited to see the Coach Lisath led Trojans in 2023-24.
... great stuff! makes me smile just reading, knowing that Coach Lisath is BACK Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line - HOME on the river again ... a Trojan once again ... I remember in a post you made trojandave following me coming down for the Minford @ Portsmouth game towards the end of this years regular season ... great crowd in attendance! which I'm thinking will be "the norm" now at PHS ... but you posted that "We need more of you at Trojan Arena" - I'm thinkin' that will be the case during the 2023-24 season ...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Pfloyd: I want to see more of you at Trojan Arena in 2023-24. I think this year the upper section bleachers will be pulled out. There's a lot of people feeling the magic of the Lisath pedigree. That 1st home game is much anticipated with so much energy Jeff has brought into the program already.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

McClain hires former Wilmington coach Mike Nozska.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

formerfcfan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:37 pm McClain hires former Wilmington coach Mike Nozska.
He may not be successful at McClain, but that might be the single greatest coaching turnaround ever for McClain. Heck of a coach.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Pfloyd: You’ve published an excellent early list of teams likely to get better in 23-24. What schools will struggle to match their 22-23 record due to graduations or other circumstances? I can think of a few, but interested in your take.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I’ve heard and seen that the basketball activities at my alma matter are going well so far. Good turnout for camp for the youngins. Haven’t heard much of anything else yet about potential transfers and the other situation. Hoping our success on the diamond (baseball annd softball district champions, softball lost to Burg in the regionals) and cheerleading bleeds over into soccer and basketball season. Only about 5.5 more months guys hang in there.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

Starting in the 2024-2025 season Pfloyd will have another team to rank in the Southeast…Ripley out of the SHAC, was just approved recently to make the shift from the Southwest district to the Southeast.

Return to “Boys Basketball”