FLOOR GENERALS

Longtimer
Waterboy

FLOOR GENERALS

Post by Longtimer »

There seem to be a lot of guards I see this season who do not seem to see the floor very well. Too many players seem to have to look at the ball while dribbling and it`s easy to see whether a player is right handed or left handed.

Who are some guards who seem to be able to HANDLE THE BALL, MAKE THE PASS, FIND THE OPEN MAN, CAN SCORE BUT CAN ALSO DISH OUT AND GET ASSISTS RATHER THAN PERSONAL POINTS?

Also ---- Any LOCKDOWN defenders out there ? Can guard without grabbing?

Just curious as I pick numerous games to go watch.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: FLOOR GENERALS

Post by 93Bulldog »

Tariq Cottrill from Fed Hock is the best I've seen this year. Kid has been fantastic.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Montgomery from Minford is the best floor general I've seen this season.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Lets Go Big Moe!
Riding the Bench

Post by Lets Go Big Moe! »

When I think of a floor general I dont think of a kid. I think of the coach who directs the whole kit and kaboodle. The point guard to me is like the admiral.

LET'S GO BIG MOE! #CRUSADERPRIDE!513-791-1680
The Voice aka LR
Waterboy

Post by The Voice aka LR »

Well no one coaches a "floor general" better than Howie. He has several good ones this year. Thats why he can go 10 deep on any given night. It also makes him and his boys dangerous once you see how much they have improved this year. These new breed gym runners can run anyone out of the gym. YOU JUST WAIT TILL BE BUILD THAT NEW GYM! That long floor will let our gym runners have an even bigger advantage.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I've seen some good PG's/floor generals this season I'm going with 2 who do it all in all phases of the game offense - perimeter scoring/can get into the paint to score or dish and does both ... runs the offense - setting the tempo ... defensively they again set the tempo - pressure/ getting out in/finishing in transition ...rebounding included in this conversation as well - these guys do it all figuratively and literally Myles Montgomery (Minford) and Tariq Cottrill (Federal Hocking) they are the BEST of the best imo ...

eagle25
JV Team

Post by eagle25 »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:16 pm I've seen some good PG's/floor generals this season I'm going with 2 who do it all in all phases of the game offense - perimeter scoring/can get into the paint to score or dish and does both ... runs the offense - setting the tempo ... defensively they again set the tempo - pressure/ getting out in/finishing in transition ...rebounding included in this conversation as well - these guys do it all figuratively and literally Myles Montgomery (Minford) and Tariq Cottrill (Federal Hocking) they are the BEST of the best imo ...
But you got to have a BIG inside and/or deadly shooters outside to make it all effective. I believe those two do, and if they didn’t they wouldn’t be effective IMO.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

eagle25 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:35 am
pfloyd wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:16 pm I've seen some good PG's/floor generals this season I'm going with 2 who do it all in all phases of the game offense - perimeter scoring/can get into the paint to score or dish and does both ... runs the offense - setting the tempo ... defensively they again set the tempo - pressure/ getting out in/finishing in transition ...rebounding included in this conversation as well - these guys do it all figuratively and literally Myles Montgomery (Minford) and Tariq Cottrill (Federal Hocking) they are the BEST of the best imo ...
But you got to have a BIG inside and/or deadly shooters outside to make it all effective. I believe those two do, and if they didn’t they wouldn’t be effective IMO.
You're trying to say the best player in the area, Montgomery wouldn't be as effective without a big man?? Come on man, when the team needs a play it's Montgomery taking the shot on his own it's not him creating and dumping it off for someone to finish. Players are players especially from the PG position in HS the offense doesn't work from inside to outside, so doubles aren't created and leaving these guys open.

The Ultimate Lancer
JV Team

Post by The Ultimate Lancer »

Our guy is the best. But he got better once we added to the roster late in the year. Now we have every area of the floor covered.

BRING BACK The used car salesman/part time football manager!
eagle25
JV Team

Post by eagle25 »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:54 am
You're trying to say the best player in the area, Montgomery wouldn't be as effective without a big man?? Come on man, when the team needs a play it's Montgomery taking the shot on his own it's not him creating and dumping it off for someone to finish. Players are players especially from the PG position in HS the offense doesn't work from inside to outside, so doubles aren't created and leaving these guys open.
So he’d be just as good playing with 4 statues then? Got it.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I believe Montgomery is getting close to the 1000 point mark as a Sophomore. I would put my money on Montgomery.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

eagle25 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:14 pm

Ah, but see that's not what you said you said they wouldn't be effective. As in no effect what-so-ever to a game if they didn't have a BIG inside or deadly shooters to make it all happen. You made it sound as if they are the ones reliant on all of these other factors when in reality the effective big man, the outside shooter are all reliant on a guy like Montgomery and that's the difference. Minford would be an quality team without Montgomery but they wouldn't be the best team without him, he makes it all go as you can tell by almost coming up on 1,000 in just his sophomore year.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

BigBlueNation wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:23 pm

I believe Montgomery is getting close to the 1000 point mark as a Sophomore. I would put my money on Montgomery.
Oh there's not a single person who has seen that young man play that wouldn't put their money on Montgomery it's the reason why I figured they win the SOC for the next 3 seasons. Also figure with him at the helm they hit the final 4 at least once during his career if not a state championship game his junior or senior year.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:30 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:23 pm

Oh there's not a single person who has seen that young man play that wouldn't put their money on Montgomery it's the reason why I figured they win the SOC for the next 3 seasons. Also figure with him at the helm they hit the final 4 at least once during his career if not a state championship game his junior or senior year.
Agree.

eagle25
JV Team

Post by eagle25 »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:28 pm
eagle25 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:14 pm

Ah, but see that's not what you said you said they wouldn't be effective. As in no effect what-so-ever to a game if they didn't have a BIG inside or deadly shooters to make it all happen. You made it sound as if they are the ones reliant on all of these other factors when in reality the effective big man, the outside shooter are all reliant on a guy like Montgomery and that's the difference. Minford would be an quality team without Montgomery but they wouldn't be the best team without him, he makes it all go as you can tell by almost coming up on 1,000 in just his sophomore year.
Not effective as a “floor general” is what I meant, as that is the title of the thread. Not that they wouldn’t be effective at all as a player. Two different things.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

MM is the Gen. Patton of PG in SE Ohio. End of thread

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Tigernation2021
Varsity

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:47 pm MM is the Gen. Patton of PG in SE Ohio. End of thread
Exactly, as this other guy has built a hole so deep a crane couldn't get him out.

eagle25
JV Team

Post by eagle25 »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:47 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:47 pm MM is the Gen. Patton of PG in SE Ohio. End of thread
Exactly, as this other guy has built a hole so deep a crane couldn't get him out.
Yes, because no one else is permitted to have an opinion. Not to mention that your perception of intent of another person’s comments is the holy grail and no one else’s perception, including the OP’s, matters. In fact, I’m sure you would agree, no other player in SEO, he11 lets make it the whole state, can come close to measuring up to your player and anyone who doesn’t state that is an idiot who has “built a hole…” 😮

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

You’ve obviously not watched much Minford ball.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
eagle25
JV Team

Post by eagle25 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:53 pm You’ve obviously not watched much Minford ball.
You obviously didn’t read or can’t comprehend the original post. Understandable because you were probably busy cleaning your seat again.

Return to “Boys Basketball”