Warren 58 Vinton County 36 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Warren 58 Vinton County 36 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Warren 58
Vinton County 36 a final

... Entering Wednesday's sectional semi-final at Warren, Vinton County had been playing its best basketball of the season - an offense that was getting it done inside with Allman/Hire ... a confident/lethal perimeter game with Cain/Davidson/Brown ... all components put in motion by the savvy sophomore PG Cobra Sharp ... Warren? COULD put up 70 points OR struggle to reach 45 - the hazards of having a team composed of 1 senior/1 junior/ 10 sophomores ... BOTH teams KNOW how to play defense - not just defense but DEFENSE - physical/hardnosed/in-your-face DEFENSE ... Which TEAM would be able to handle the defense of the opposing team? Which TEAM had enough offense to "survive and advance" ? ... the opening quarter was ALL Warriors - Warren put up the most points and played the better defense ... 4 of the 5 starters for Coach Maddox's Warriors dented the scorebook - Connor Barry 4pts/6-6 jr Trent Taylor 4 pts/ including 2/2 from the line ... sophomore's Julian Stadelman 2pts/Chase Lupardus 2pts ... the big take in the opening period was the WHS defense - the Warriors turned the Vikings over 9 times in the quarter while holding Vinton County to only 5 points on 2pts by sr. Jack Davidson and a trey from Cobra Sharp ... nothing was easy for VC - the Warren on-ball defense was relentless - no good looks to pass the ball/ no open looks to shoot the ball inside or out on the perimeter ... Warren 12 Vinton County 5 after 1 ... Coach Kight's Vikings settled down in the 2nd ... reduced the turnovers to 5 while turning the pressure up at the defensive end forcing Warren to cough it up 7 times in the 2nd/8 times in the half ... VC won the 2nd qtr 12-9 ... out of the 9 points by the Warriors there were only 2fgs in the qtr. both on drives to the rim 2 pts for Stadelman and a drive down the left of the lane by Lupardus ... the rest of the offense for WHS was from the FT line Stadelman 2/2 and Trent Taylor 3/4 from the line ... Vinton County got scoring from Sharp 3pts/ Garrett Brown picked up his first points and only 3 pointer of the game 3pts/ Ashton Allman the 6-4 post player for VC took a pass from Sharp for an easy 2pter at the rim/ adding 2/2 from the free throw line ... off the bench Owen Hire added 2pts in the paint ... Warren 21 Vinton County 17 at the half ... Warren never trailed in the half ... Warren never trailed in the entire game ... but the feeling I got was VC had shown the ability to get back in the game - the combination of VC D in the 2nd & the offensive potential they could put on the floor ANNNND probably a bigger factor - the Warren offense (at times) disappears for stretches/minutes of the game clock ... it FELT like the Vikings were a 3 pointer away from being IN this one , a couple of fgs of ANY variety and VC would get momentum going in the Vikings' direction... unfortunately for VC, Warren had other ideas - Warren had Julian Stadelman and Trent Taylor ... Warren KNOWS how to play D ... through the opening 2 qtrs the Blue of Warren kept the Vikings "in the house" - only 2/5 from 3 point land - a good percentage BUT the Warren D didn't give VC many looks ... inside/outside - nada ... great rotation on the defense ... great pressure on the ball ... Warren needed to find offense themselves ... something to go with the excellent defensive effort ... Stadelman answered chipping in 7 pts/including a trey ... the big man in the middle for the big bad blue - Trent Taylor got to the rim on 3 strong drives for 6 points and soph Connor Barry added a 3 pointer ... Vinton County got more aggressive on the offensive end as the Vikings took advantage of some Warren over rotations that resulted in a couple of uncontested boards and putback shots at the rim for jr big man Ashton Allman (4pts) ... Garrett Brown the solid VC shooting guard continued to look like he could get shots - 4pts ... Cobra Sharp added a transition bucket as the VC defense forced 7 more Warren turnovers ... throughout the 3rd it seemed VC got points but Warren had an answer - more times than not it was the duo of Stadelman and Taylor ... Warren 37 Vinton County 28 after 3 ... 9 point Warren lead ... a Warren DEFENSE that looked like it could/would make the lead stand ... the Warriors forced 10 VC turnovers in the final period ...3 were turned into transition buckets by Julian Stadelman ...WHS got 2 on the block 2 pointers on inbound plays ... Stadelman forced separation getting to the rim in transition and in the offense for 10 points in the final quarter ... 5 points by Trent Taylor ... 6 points off of the bench (4 points from Nick Cressey - excellent game at both ends of the floor) 2 points from soph post player Hayden Wells .. when the dust settled both teams had emptied their benches ... at 6:42 on the clock in the 4th Brayden Cain the sharpshooting 3 point scorer for VC hit his only 3 pointer of the game and his only points of the game ... VC got 2 fgs in the 4th - Cain's 3 ball and 2 points on a drive by reserve Kameron Griffin ... the other points in the qtr were from the FT line - 1 point each for Allman/ Hire and Aiden Woodgeard ... Warren had effectively taken away/held in check the Viking offensive weapons - no Viking made it to double figures in scoring ... Warrens D turned VC over 28 times in the game ... the shots that VC DID get - were for the most part the shots the Warriors wanted them to take - forced/ not from good looks in spots VC wanted to take them ... imo the most important stat isn't even a stat - it's one of those "had to be there to see it" stats - the shots that the Warren D wouldn't allow the VC offense to take/get off due to the on ball pressure/rotations in the defense ... Warren 58 Vinton County 36 a final ...

... Pfloyd's official UN-official Napkin Stats - Vinton County ...

Scoring ... Ashton Allman 9, Cobra Sharp 8, Garrett Brown 7, Jack Davidson 3, Brayden Cain 3, Owen Hire 3, Kameron Griffin 2, Aden Woodgeard 1
3 Pointers ... 3/12 ... Cobra Sharp 1, Brayden Cain 1, Garrett Brown 1
FTs ... 7/12
TO ... 28
PnP ... 9 fgs/ 18 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbk .. 2 fg/ 4 points on putback buckets

... great first season at the helm of the Vikings for Coach Nj Kight ... never easy to come in behind the retirement of legend - but Coach Kight did it with class ... the Vikings have 3 outstanding starters returning next season - Brown/Sharp/Allman ... off the bench big man Owen Hire along with Parker Shonborn/Matt Hembree both playing significant minutes off the bench all season ... VC will continue the fine tradition of the Vinton County PROGRAM under the leadership of Coach Kight next season ...

... Pfloyd's official UN-offical Napkin Stats - Warren ...

Scoring ...Julian Stadelman 23, Trent Taylor 18, Connor Barry 7, Chase Lupardus 4, Nick Cressey 4, Hayden Wells 2
3 Pointers ... 2/10 ... Julian Stadelman 1, Connor Barry 1
FTs ... 8/11
TOs ... 18
PnP ... 16 fgs/ 32 points in the paint
PnT ... 5 fgs/ 10 points in transition
Pbk ... 1 fg/ 2 points on putback buckets

... always great going to Warren to watch a game whether it's at the WarriorDome or now the Coliseum - great people who love their BBB, Warriors ... I have to give a shout-out to the youngsters off the bench for Warren who played an outstanding game at both ends offensively keeping the WHS leads, defensively matching the intensity of the starters - Nick Cressey/Jacob Sealey/Hayden Wells - outstanding ... AND senior Ayden Cornell!!! no points to show BUT the points HE kept off the board by locking down Cobra Sharp on the perimeter/KEEPING him from penetrating & dishing - priceless ... a BIG reason VC was unable to string to together any offensive runs - well done AC!!! ... by the way it was Asst.Coach Jerry Mitchem's birthday - not a bad BD present played out by the BBB TEAM! ... best of luck to the Warriors as they travel to Washington CH to take on the Lions Saturday night for the sectional crown ...

jcbigblue13
Freshman Team

Re: Warren 58 Vinton County 36 a final

Post by jcbigblue13 »

Finally glad to see the team back to playing some great defense like we are capable of doing!! Good seeing you last night sorry didn't get to talk...will be thinking and praying for good results on your Monday visit

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

jcbigblue13 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:17 pm Finally glad to see the team back to playing some great defense like we are capable of doing!! Good seeing you last night sorry didn't get to talk...will be thinking and praying for good results on your Monday visit
... defense travels jcbigblue13 ... 9 players able to keep up that kind of defensive intensity for 32 minutes - perfect ... taking away what an opponent is trying to do or feels most comfortable doing offensively - THAT'S the name of the game ... forcing THAT number of turnovers! 28 - that's 28 shots on goal that the opposition doesn't get ... I'd like to see a 3rd scorer step up for the Warriors - a 3rd double digit scorer - 12 ppg guy to go with Trent Taylor and Julian Stadelman - now's the time to step up ... last night Warren got offense out of their defense THAT gets separation in the post season - put pressure on the opponent ... fun time of the year !!!

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Thanks for the write up as always and good talking basketball with you at the game. Thought the boys played extremely well on defense. If we can play with that kind of defensive intensity and minimize our turnovers I like our chances on Saturday.

Go Blue
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Forced 28 turnovers….wow

eagle25
JV Team

Post by eagle25 »

And another nail goes into the coffin of Warren ever having a chance of getting back into the TVC. Got to stop beating up on the TVC Ohio teams if they ever want in.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

eagle25 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:27 am And another nail goes into the coffin of Warren ever having a chance of getting back into the TVC. Got to stop beating up on the TVC Ohio teams if they ever want in.
If they want to get back in the TVC, they’d need to move about an hour west. That’s the only issue.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Thats was the issue with VC all year- way to many turnovers.

eagle25
JV Team

Post by eagle25 »

Sid Farkus wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:33 pm
eagle25 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:27 am And another nail goes into the coffin of Warren ever having a chance of getting back into the TVC. Got to stop beating up on the TVC Ohio teams if they ever want in.
If they want to get back in the TVC, they’d need to move about an hour west. That’s the only issue.
If you get anyone to buy that pile of horse sheet you can start making a living selling ocean front property located in Ohio. 😂

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I will tell you how old I am, the last time Warren was in the TVC, I was in high school. And I can distinctly remember them leaving and when they did, they burn a lot of bridges, in fact, I think some of that smoke may still be bellowing. Because, it wasn't just because they left, the administration and some coaches were, lets say, arrogant, condescending, and braggadocious as they left. But I would figure by now, those that were around then, are not around anymore. I know that our superintendent from that time has passed, coaches have retired or passed, so I do not know what it is. It probably has more to do with the much smaller Nelsonville-York, Alexander, Wellston, and Meigs not wanting to compete with them in every sport.

P Finger
Waterboy

Post by P Finger »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:51 pm I will tell you how old I am, the last time Warren was in the TVC, I was in high school. And I can distinctly remember them leaving and when they did, they burn a lot of bridges, in fact, I think some of that smoke may still be bellowing. Because, it wasn't just because they left, the administration and some coaches were, lets say, arrogant, condescending, and braggadocious as they left. But I would figure by now, those that were around then, are not around anymore. I know that our superintendent from that time has passed, coaches have retired or passed, so I do not know what it is. It probably has more to do with the much smaller Nelsonville-York, Alexander, Wellston, and Meigs not wanting to compete with them in every sport.
Did you mean billowing? It’s not just those schools you mentioned. How many TVC boys basketball championships would VC have won if Warren was in the league? Few if any would be my guess. Same for Athens.

I like to pee on my finger and stick it in your ear. 😂
hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Yes. Yes, of course...billowing. As far as the championships...I would not be to sure of yourself. After all, Warren holds a slim winning margin against Vinton County, 25-21. I mean it ain't like the Warriors are totally dominating the Vikings. It would be great match-ups every year.

P Finger
Waterboy

Post by P Finger »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:28 pm Yes. Yes, of course...billowing. As far as the championships...I would not be to sure of yourself. After all, Warren holds a slim winning margin against Vinton County, 25-21. I mean it ain't like the Warriors are totally dominating the Vikings. It would be great match-ups every year.
Now that Combs is gone it could happen. No way he was ever going to allow it though. He did not want a threat like Warren in the league.

I like to pee on my finger and stick it in your ear. 😂

Return to “Boys Basketball”