Federal Hocking vs Berlin Hiland - 6PM

OVC
JV Team

Re: Federal Hocking vs Berlin Hiland - 6PM

Post by OVC »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:59 pm
OVC wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:54 pm Man, Green has gotten shafted multiple times by the OHSAA regarding start time of the game. I think this is the third time they have moved their start time due to one lame excuse or another.
How has it affected them? So far 2-0 on time changes.
Fair point lol

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
The Ultimate Lancer
JV Team

Post by The Ultimate Lancer »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:54 pm per 740sports

The Athens County game of the week returns on Power 105 Tuesday when Federal Hocking (22-3) takes on Berlin Hiland (17-9) in a DIV regional semi-final at the Convo. Tariq Cottrill scored a game high 25 points to lead Federal Hocking past Notre Dame 64-56 to claim its first district title in 53 years. The Hawks meanwhile held off a late rally by Hannibal River on Friday for their 7th consecutive East District championship.

Who is Hiland? Berlin Highland is considered one of the top small school programs in the state and has won 3-of-the-past-5 DIV regional championships in Athens, including last season. The Hawks have been to the state tournament 12 times, won three state titles and finished runner-up twice. They are located in Northeast Ohio about 10 miles east of Millersburg in Amish country and are well known of their boys and girls basketball programs. In fact, you could say basketball is to Hiland what football is to Marion Local. They eat, breath and sleep the game 365 days year. But this year’s Hiland squad doesn’t appear to be the juggernaut fans have become accustomed to over the years. The Hawks are probably closer to the team that beat Trimble 56-48 in the semi-finals at Southeastern High School in 2021. They have 9 losses on the year, barely slipped past River and defeated Caldwell by 7 last Tuesday, who beat Fed Hock 72-66 in the season opener. But the Lancers have been a much different team since then having won 22-of-their-last-23 games heading into the Sweet 16 match-up.

Is Federal Hocking the underdog? Yes, maybe a little just based on past history of teams from the Southeast District performing in regional tournaments. Back in 2021 coach Howie Caldwell led the Tomcats to the regionals versus Hiland, but his teams play the same brand of basketball as the Hawks. Disciplined, defensive minded, slow it down and look for quality shots. It’s tough to beat a team at their own game when that team is the best at it and the Cats lost by 8 in a really tough, physical semi-final. The Lancers play a completely different game though and that may be what’s needed to finally get over the hump and send Hiland packing back to Berlin. Federal Hocking plays tough, aggressive defense and likes to press and get up and down the floor, but are probably best known for its offense. The Lancers average 68.6 points per game and love to shoot the three, which is the great equalizer in basketball these days. They drained 7 in the district championship versus Notre Dame, 8 during the win over Eastern Pike and have at least five players on the floor that can knock down shots from beyond the arc. It’s almost imperative you have a PG that can handle the ball and control tempo against a team like Hiland and Fed Hock has one of the best in DIV Southeast District POY Tariq Cottrill. The Hawks do have a 6’7 man, but so did Notre Dame, Eastern Pike and Vinton County, which the Lancers went (3-0) against. Last but not least, it takes a special group of young men to get this far in the tournament and beyond and Federal Hocking certainly has that, on and off the court. You have to be tough, hardnosed, play together as a team and have a lot of heart, which again, the Lancers possess. All they need to do now is show up, be themselves, play hard, knock down shots from the outside and rely on the big crowd that is for sure going to show up and support them.

Tuesday's game can be heard live on 105.5FM or via the Power 105 app with tipoff scheduled for 6PM

Good luck and go Lancers!
Who cares about Howdee Caldwell? This is Federal Hocking and our coach is the best for our team and in the TVC for that matter. We have a tough game but we believe our coach will do what Howdee couldn’t, and that’s beat Berlin Hiland. Go Lancers.

BRING BACK The used car salesman/part time football manager!
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The request to move the game time was actually made by the Berlin super. Getting back late at night on a school night was the issue I guess. I understand that, but if the OHSAA gets into this game of constantly moving game times they are just opening themselves up to questioning or criticism. The best way to solve that? Just say from the beginning all brackets are set in stone, where you are at is where you will play. Problem solved.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:18 am The request to move the game time was actually made by the Berlin super. Getting back late at night on a school night was the issue I guess. I understand that, but if the OHSAA gets into this game of constantly moving game times they are just opening themselves up to questioning or criticism. The best way to solve that? Just say from the beginning all brackets are set in stone, where you are at is where you will play. Problem solved.
Yet again I don't see the issue. It is 3+ hours on a bus for Berlin (on a school night), significantly less for Green and Northside Christian. Bumping them to the early game makes total sense.

They are a huge association over basically all high school teams in Ohio, they're going to be criticized for what they do or don't do constantly. If the criticism is because they moved a game up to get a team back earlier on a school night, hey, they have my support.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:54 am
93Bulldog wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:18 am The request to move the game time was actually made by the Berlin super. Getting back late at night on a school night was the issue I guess. I understand that, but if the OHSAA gets into this game of constantly moving game times they are just opening themselves up to questioning or criticism. The best way to solve that? Just say from the beginning all brackets are set in stone, where you are at is where you will play. Problem solved.
Yet again I don't see the issue. It is 3+ hours on a bus for Berlin (on a school night), significantly less for Green and Northside Christian. Bumping them to the early game makes total sense.

They are a huge association over basically all high school teams in Ohio, they're going to be criticized for what they do or don't do constantly. If the criticism is because they moved a game up to get a team back earlier on a school night, hey, they have my support.
Its not 3 hours.

Berlin is 2hr, 20 min
Green is 1hr, 20 min
Worthington 1 hr 20 min

So now 2 schools are going to get back late instead of 1? I don't see that one hour between Berlin and Green/Worthington as being that big of difference, honestly. And so how does that work actually, whoever calls and complains first gets first dibs? Wonder of the Green super called and complained about his kids getting back late?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Google Maps showing 2 hours 26 minutes from Berlin Hiland High School to OU Convocation Center. On a bus, I guarantee that's closer to 2 hours 45 minutes EASILY.

You good man? You're normally a pretty positive attribute to this site, but lately you sure are on a complaining train. Hope all is well with you. Bigger fish to fry than to get worked up over something so small.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:23 am Google Maps showing 2 hours 26 minutes from Berlin Hiland High School to OU Convocation Center. On a bus, I guarantee that's closer to 2 hours 45 minutes EASILY.

You good man? You're normally a pretty positive attribute to this site, but lately you sure are on a complaining train. Hope all is well with you. Bigger fish to fry than to get worked up over something so small.
I'm fine lol

Just pointing out the obvious. If Berlin doesn't want to drive 2.5 hrs to the Convo then petition to be moved the NE district, it's not hard at all. Canton is only 33 miles from Berlin High School. But they don't do that because the East/Southeast is traditionally weaker.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Another district is coming to our Regional every year. What districts make more sense to come here? One of the Southwests? Who determines which one? Is any District actually in closer proximity to Athens than the East? East seems to be the closest / most obvious selection in my eyes for D4.

I guess both Central winners coming to SEO Regional is the only other option. Then they'd have to pull one of the Northwest winners to the Southwest.

I don't think any SEO team would be happy about both Central winners coming to our Regional every year (in any division).
Last edited by bbjunky81 on Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

I wouldn't be opposed to the OHSAA doing with basketball that they do with football. let higher seed have home court until district final, then have a true neutral site that fits the matchup. Find the best venue for the specific matchup. Maybe its the convo, maybe its Ohio Dominican, maybe its Logan HS.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:29 am Another district is coming to our Regional every year. What districts make more sense to come here? One of the Southwests? Who determines which one? Is any District actually in closer proximity to Athens than the East? East seems to be the closest / most obvious selection in my eyes for D4.
It doesn't work like that.

Berlin can petition to move to the NE, not every district has the exact number of teams. The tournament format remains exactly the same. The NE just has 1 more team and the East has 1 less.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Seopnation wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:31 am I wouldn't be opposed to the OHSAA doing with basketball that they do with football. let higher seed have home court until district final, then have a true neutral site that fits the matchup. Find the best venue for the specific matchup. Maybe its the convo, maybe its Ohio Dominican, maybe its Logan HS.
This is really about the only alternative IMO. It takes out having a Convo day for SEO basketball fans. The people complaining about long drives would complain less, but the people who love Convo basketball then complain more.

It's set up perfectly fine as is... and occasionally accommodations can be met to make things a little easier on schools traveling further on school nights. I still just can't seem to find the issue here.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:33 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:29 am Another district is coming to our Regional every year. What districts make more sense to come here? One of the Southwests? Who determines which one? Is any District actually in closer proximity to Athens than the East? East seems to be the closest / most obvious selection in my eyes for D4.
It doesn't work like that.

Berlin can petition to move to the NE, not every district has the exact number of teams. The tournament format remains exactly the same. The NE just has 1 more team and the East has 1 less.
I'm not sure we're on the same page here. Are you saying that Berlin itself can petition to leave the East but the rest of the East stays the same? There are several other East schools who are much closer to the NE Regionals than the Athens Regional. Then those schools will complain if they make it, you expect them to do the same?

How about just agree that people are going to complain on either side of this coin so I don't see the relevance in even continuing to discuss it. Berlin has a NEAR 3 hour bus ride to Athens. OHSAA made a slight change to get them home 2 hours sooner since it's a school night and they have the longest drive. Whoopedy doo.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

What other East team is 33 miles from Canton? lol

And yes, you petition as a school. Since Logan has no other D1 teams in the SE district it makes sense of them to petition to be in the Central, but they have yet to do it.

My point is, if Berlin wants to be in the East, wants that path in tournaments that goes through the SE/E every year, then don't complain about the drive or ask to have your times moved. The people who have a legitimate right to complain at this point are Green and Worthington, I guess I'm just speaking up for them.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:43 am What other East team is 33 miles from Canton? lol

And yes, you petition as a school. Since Logan has no other D1 teams in the SE district it makes sense of them to petition to be in the Central, but they have yet to do it.

My point is, if Berlin wants to be in the East, wants that path in tournaments that goes through the SE/E every year, then don't complain about the drive or ask to have your times moved. The people who have a legitimate right to complain at this point are Green and Worthington, I guess I'm just speaking up for them.
New Philadelphia is in the Athens Regional.... they're 27 miles from Canton

Garaway is 31.6 miles from Canton

Maysville is 25.5 miles from Canton

Carrollton is 24.6 miles from Canton

Sandy Valley is 12.3 miles from Canton

There's many more if you'd like me to continue, but I think you get the point. Several schools are closer to Canton than Berlin Hiland yet still compete in the Athens Regional.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:08 am
93Bulldog wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:43 am What other East team is 33 miles from Canton? lol

New Philadelphia is in the Athens Regional.... they're 27 miles from Canton

Garaway is 31.6 miles from Canton

Maysville is 25.5 miles from Canton

Carrollton is 24.6 miles from Canton

Sandy Valley is 12.3 miles from Canton

There's many more if you'd like me to continue, but I think you get the point. Several schools are closer to Canton than Berlin Hiland yet still compete in the Athens Regional.
And every one of them shouldn't complain about drive time.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Sooner or later, the East District will just be disbanded entirely. You’ll have Hiland then paired to either the Central or Northeast.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

HHS wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:50 am Most fans I know for Hiland were fine with the later start because it meant they didn’t have to figure things out at work.

I know fans in the Southeast revere the Convo but I consider it a terrible venue for a tournament game for us.

1) 3 hr drive each way sucks. I recognize it’s not that way for everyone and the SE district is geographically huge but playing there on 2 school/work days- Tues/Fri is a real challenge.
2) 0 atmosphere. Not having the bleachers out in the lower bowl is criminal. 0 atmosphere might be generous. -50 atmosphere.
3) parking situation is bad and they charge you $5/10 when tickets are already $10 at the regional level and I’m spending $30-40 in gas to get there.
4) the announcer that SE Ohio people seem to love so much is annoying as can be and a total distraction. Doesn’t enhance the experience at all for me.

In regards to the actual game, it should be interesting. This is a totally new Hiland team. Only 1 real returning rotation player from last year. (A 2nd got a little time). It’s been a tough year at times but they played a brutal schedule so they’ve been tested. They are capable of being awesome (1st 3 quarters vs River, last 1.5 quarters vs Caldwell) or terrible- not a lot of middle ground.
Wow ! Who hurt you?? Dogging on Sweet Lou!?!?! :shock:

Live Like A Champion!
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:27 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:23 am Google Maps showing 2 hours 26 minutes from Berlin Hiland High School to OU Convocation Center. On a bus, I guarantee that's closer to 2 hours 45 minutes EASILY.

I'm fine lol

Just pointing out the obvious. If Berlin doesn't want to drive 2.5 hrs to the Convo then petition to be moved the NE district, it's not hard at all. Canton is only 33 miles from Berlin High School. But they don't do that because the East/Southeast is traditionally weaker.
The East District has been very territorial on who comes in and who goes out. They’ve lobbied for petitions moving ‘out’ of the East District to be denied, and they’ve declined on petitions moving ‘in’ into the East District.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Seopnation wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:31 am I wouldn't be opposed to the OHSAA doing with basketball that they do with football. let higher seed have home court until district final, then have a true neutral site that fits the matchup. Find the best venue for the specific matchup. Maybe its the convo, maybe its Ohio Dominican, maybe its Logan HS.
ODC stinks for a high profile game. One entrance thats about as wide as a phone booth (google it Gen Z) and parking it awful. I avoid ODC as much as I can. Would like to see the games back at Logan. The Warren/Athens game a few years ago when they had to bring out portable bleachers was the best atmosphere for a game Ive ever been at. Logan Elm vs Vinton Co a close second. Now it sounds like Southeastern may be giving up the games for a locker-room renovation so Logan could be the host next year. Logan will have a new floor, new score board and new sound system so it could be a great host site.

Live Like A Champion!
Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

SOME NOTES FOR HILAND VS RIVER LAST WEEK

-Sammy Detweiler knocked down both free throws after drawing a foul with 4.5 ticks to go, putting the finishing touches on a 22-point performance vs River last week
-The Hawks got out to a 22-3 lead early in the second quarter, including a 19-0 run, and led by 16 at halftime and 15 at the end of the third quarter.
-Nick Wigton also played well for the Hawks, hitting some timely shots on his way to a 13-point night.
-The Hawks dropped to 8-9 late in the regular season with back-to-back losses to Tusky Valley and Bishop Ready — an uncharacteristic dip below .500 for one of the most consistent programs in the state. And they've been a different team since, reeling off nine wins in a row.

Live Like A Champion!

Return to “Boys Basketball”