Federal Hocking vs Berlin Hiland - 6PM

bball30
Freshman Team

Re: Federal Hocking vs Berlin Hiland - 6PM

Post by bball30 »

The Garaway Pirates are always happy to come to the Convo.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:27 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:23 am Google Maps showing 2 hours 26 minutes from Berlin Hiland High School to OU Convocation Center. On a bus, I guarantee that's closer to 2 hours 45 minutes EASILY.

You good man? You're normally a pretty positive attribute to this site, but lately you sure are on a complaining train. Hope all is well with you. Bigger fish to fry than to get worked up over something so small.
I'm fine lol

Just pointing out the obvious. If Berlin doesn't want to drive 2.5 hrs to the Convo then petition to be moved the NE district, it's not hard at all. Canton is only 33 miles from Berlin High School. But they don't do that because the East/Southeast is traditionally weaker.

Same reason Eastern Brown left the SW district to play in the SE district. They couldn't beat the Cincy schools so they moved districts and the longer bus ride, even though it is all highway on Rt. 32.

Hiland has the same problem. Can't compete with the NE schools so they would much rather make the long drive, but for some of there fans to come on here and complain about the drive and also Lou!!!! Blasphemy!!!!!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Good luck to Federal Hocking in their Regional Semifinal matchup with Berlin Hiland.

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Let me try to be a little tactful. We are all a product of our experiences and we develop tastes from them.

I don't like playing at OU as a Hiland fan. That's a long day right there and you get back late. The seating arrangement, atmosphere, and PA announcer isn't what we are used to. But if you enjoy it, God bless ya.

Hiland fans have a fondness for the Canton Fieldhouse. There are a ton of great memories in that building. Not a bad seat in the house and the volume is deafening. Although I remember being there once for a regional game when it was 80 degrees outside and 110 inside. I had to resist the urge to strip down to my underwear. No one wants to see that. Another time, after a win over Richmond Hts, there was gunfire in the parking lot. Lol.

Some have pointed out that Hiland doesn't belong in the SE regional. They make some outstanding points. I don't know the degree that situation is a choice, but if it is, yes, you want to avoid Rich Hts until you can't. Getting to state is a great accomplishment and you do what you can to get there. RH throws the entire competitive balance of DIV off due to the pond they fish their talent out of vs the ponds rural, small schools fish out of. But Hiland threw the entire state competitive balance out of whack in DIV for 2 years with one transfer a decade or so ago, so it is what it is.

I'm a native of Ashland, KY and graduated from an OVC school, so I'm familiar with southern Ohio and love that area and its people.

As objective as I can be, I offer this: the advantage Hiland brings to regional games is the experience and expertise of the coaching staff. They have been to state a bunch and they know how to get there. Its about the scouting, preparation of players and game planning. It is amazing and they are always the best prepared team while usually not being the most talented team.

The other factor they bring is depth. I am persistently amazed that teams that frequently play Hiland know that they are going to throw 10-12 players at them in a game, but they don't adjust. Most HS coaches like a 6-7 player rotation because it is complicated to play more than that, but I have seen Hiland win a ton of games where the other team was better for 1 1/2 qtrs, then the legs get rubbery, they aren't getting to rebounds, shots fall short, and they aren't in position defensively - and they lose.

This Hiland team has been very beatable, but not lately. They have figured some stuff out. To beat them you have to negate their depth, out-prepare, and out-play them. If you haven't scouted them 8 or more times and you play 7 kids, unless you are uber-talented, big, and very skilled, they are going to beat you.

The teams that overcome all of that and beat Hiland get respect from me in spades because of what it means in terms of the quality of that coaching staff and the effort, talent, and skill of those players. FWIW

Hope this is received in the spirit it is intended.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Good post^.

Yeah, it really isn’t a simple ‘choice’ or not on which regional Hiland plays in.

One of the older regionals pairings was this:

Region 13 (Northeast)
Northeast 1
Northeast 2
Northeast 3
East

Region 14 (Northwest)
Northwest 1
Northwest 2
Northwest 3
Northwest 4

Region 15 (Southeast)
Southeast x2
Central x2

Region 16 (Southwest)
Southwest 1
Southwest 2
Southwest 3
Northwest 5 (the southernmost of the NW districts)

What has since changed was: in years where the Central qualifies two to regionals, the second district champion is sent to Region 16 in lieu of a NW district champion and the fourth spot in Region 15 has become the destination of the East District champion instead of 14. (It basically has shifted clockwise.)

Point blank
Freshman Team

Post by Point blank »

Should like the convo if your BH last time regional finals weren't there and at southeastern hs you didn't fair to well vs ol southern ohio!!

Man I'll tell you this much we don't want you down here anyways!!!

That was the worst post and comment I've ever heard on southeastern ohio preps!!!

Just so you know I believe the only reason you guys who drive down here is your scared of the Cleveland area regional and never getting to all those final 4s

Sweater poorly knit
Waterboy

Post by Sweater poorly knit »

Any stream for this one or does the ohsaa get all weird at this point?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Sweater poorly knit wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:46 pm Any stream for this one or does the ohsaa get all weird at this point?
It’ll be on NFHS Network

I believe the commentators for tomorrow are both OU students in their sports broadcasting program. One works with us at SOSA

Sweater poorly knit
Waterboy

Post by Sweater poorly knit »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:05 pm
Sweater poorly knit wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:46 pm Any stream for this one or does the ohsaa get all weird at this point?
It’ll be on NFHS Network

I believe the commentators for tomorrow are both OU students in their sports broadcasting program. One works with us at SOSA
Gracias!

carnholio
Waterboy

Post by carnholio »

HHS wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:14 am
93Bulldog wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:06 am Dang man, you had me until the comments about Lou. He is a legend and loved by both Ohio University fans and surrounding communities. He's widely considered the best PA in the MAC, let alone high school sports.
For me, PA announcers should do the starters and then be quiet. We don’t need fouls announced, baskets announced, screaming at timeouts.
Sounds so 1970s middle school.

trampoline
Riding the Bench

Post by trampoline »

Good luck to the lancers tonight...Hoping they can make it all the way to the "Richmond Heights Massacre" formerly known as the Division 4 State Tournament!

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

IVCguy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:04 pm Let me try to be a little tactful. We are all a product of our experiences and we develop tastes from them.

I don't like playing at OU as a Hiland fan. That's a long day right there and you get back late. The seating arrangement, atmosphere, and PA announcer isn't what we are used to. But if you enjoy it, God bless ya.

Hiland fans have a fondness for the Canton Fieldhouse. There are a ton of great memories in that building. Not a bad seat in the house and the volume is deafening. Although I remember being there once for a regional game when it was 80 degrees outside and 110 inside. I had to resist the urge to strip down to my underwear. No one wants to see that. Another time, after a win over Richmond Hts, there was gunfire in the parking lot. Lol.

Some have pointed out that Hiland doesn't belong in the SE regional. They make some outstanding points. I don't know the degree that situation is a choice, but if it is, yes, you want to avoid Rich Hts until you can't. Getting to state is a great accomplishment and you do what you can to get there. RH throws the entire competitive balance of DIV off due to the pond they fish their talent out of vs the ponds rural, small schools fish out of. But Hiland threw the entire state competitive balance out of whack in DIV for 2 years with one transfer a decade or so ago, so it is what it is.

I'm a native of Ashland, KY and graduated from an OVC school, so I'm familiar with southern Ohio and love that area and its people.

As objective as I can be, I offer this: the advantage Hiland brings to regional games is the experience and expertise of the coaching staff. They have been to state a bunch and they know how to get there. Its about the scouting, preparation of players and game planning. It is amazing and they are always the best prepared team while usually not being the most talented team.

The other factor they bring is depth. I am persistently amazed that teams that frequently play Hiland know that they are going to throw 10-12 players at them in a game, but they don't adjust. Most HS coaches like a 6-7 player rotation because it is complicated to play more than that, but I have seen Hiland win a ton of games where the other team was better for 1 1/2 qtrs, then the legs get rubbery, they aren't getting to rebounds, shots fall short, and they aren't in position defensively - and they lose.

This Hiland team has been very beatable, but not lately. They have figured some stuff out. To beat them you have to negate their depth, out-prepare, and out-play them. If you haven't scouted them 8 or more times and you play 7 kids, unless you are uber-talented, big, and very skilled, they are going to beat you.

The teams that overcome all of that and beat Hiland get respect from me in spades because of what it means in terms of the quality of that coaching staff and the effort, talent, and skill of those players. FWIW

I 100% agree with the point about Hiland winning with their coaching and their fundamentals. They just seem to always do the little things and find ways to win. I mean just their last two games, Caldwell and River were just as talented or more talented but Hiland found a way to win. I will say it was very uncharacteristic of a Hiland team to see them turn the ball over so much in the 4th quarter against River to blow their big lead.

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

Sportsfan01 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:47 am
IVCguy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:04 pm Let me try to be a little tactful. We are all a product of our experiences and we develop tastes from them.

I 100% agree with the point about Hiland winning with their coaching and their fundamentals. They just seem to always do the little things and find ways to win. I mean just their last two games, Caldwell and River were just as talented or more talented but Hiland found a way to win. I will say it was very uncharacteristic of a Hiland team to see them turn the ball over so much in the 4th quarter against River to blow their big lead.
Personally I think Howie out coached them two years ago but they just got lucky in the end. Plus the refs didn’t do us any favors for sure. I wish we could have gotten another shot at them last year because I know Howie would have had our team ready and the revenge factor would have been huge.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Good Luck to the Federal Hocking Lancers!

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Sportsfan01 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:47 am [quote=IVCguy post_id=2059641 time=1678140248
That River game's 4th qtr was a lesson about how powerful momentum is in sports. When you have it, you can't do anything wrong. When it's going against you, you can't do anything right and it feels like you can't reverse it. The team without momentum gets frustrated and anxious, which just feeds the momentum for the other team.

What was remarkable in that game was how Hiland had it strong for a qtr, then it was a wash for 2 qtrs, and then it swung huge toward River for a qtr. The dramatic swing was unusual.

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Gray Cat wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:28 pm Personally I think Howie out coached them two years ago but they just got lucky in the end. Plus the refs didn’t do us any favors for sure. I wish we could have gotten another shot at them last year because I know Howie would have had our team ready and the revenge factor would have been huge.
I guess I would fall into the category of those who think you make your own luck or put yourself in a position to be lucky.

And I don't think refs ever decide a game because coaches and players make thousands of decisions during the course of a game. At best, a few calls can help you. At worst, a few bad calls are something you have to be able compensate for. The truth is that if the refs wreck you, you put yourself in the situation where they could with poor decisions and execution over the course of the game.

In a close game, the team that makes the most good decisions and least bad decisions wins. That's how I view games anyway.

I've been accused of being weird, but it's never been proven in court. :)

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

IVCguy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:03 pm
Gray Cat wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:28 pm Personally I think Howie out coached them two years ago but they just got lucky in the end. Plus the refs didn’t do us any favors for sure. I wish we could have gotten another shot at them last year because I know Howie would have had our team ready and the revenge factor would have been huge.
I guess I would fall into the category of those who think you make your own luck or put yourself in a position to be lucky.

And I don't think refs ever decide a game because coaches and players make thousands of decisions during the course of a game. At best, a few calls can help you. At worst, a few bad calls are something you have to be able compensate for. The truth is that if the refs wreck you, you put yourself in the situation where they could with poor decisions and execution over the course of the game.

In a close game, the team that makes the most good decisions and least bad decisions wins. That's how I view games anyway.

I've been accused of being weird, but it's never been proven in court. :)
Not surprised by your response. I’ve never heard of anyone who’s team won a game agree that the refs were the reason or a reason why they won.

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Gray Cat wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:44 pm Not surprised by your response. I’ve never heard of anyone who’s team won a game agree that the refs were the reason or a reason why they won.
Well, I'm a former whiner when it comes to officiating. You might be interested to know what caused the "former" to occur.

In 2010 I'm sitting at halfcourt of the Schott a few rows up watching the Hiland girls play Harvest Prep for a state championship. Hiland is down 2 with about 30 sec left and needed the ball back. HP takes the ball out of bounds, the dribbler comes tearing up the near sideline. Our PG sets up at the halfcourt line perfectly still, and, bam, the HP player barreled right over her. It was called a block - which I immediately deemed the worst call in the history of bad calls. After all, it happened right in front of me. HP hits 2 FTs and that was the ballgame.

I went home and watched the game again. The TV camera was shooting straight up the sideline, which was also the angle the ref had following the play. What it showed was our PG leaning left to create the contact. The "worst call in the history of bad calls" was actually a correct call. The difference was the perspective I had did not allow me to understand the reality of what had happened.

The truth is that fans can see things refs can't see and refs see a whole lot of things that fans can't see. Perspective and angle matters. Furthermore, refs don't care who wins or loses. Fans are emotionally invested and that emotion can distort reality.

But the biggest truth for me to accept was that our players lost that game by not executing in the last minutes. They turned the ball over, took bad shots, didn't box out and get rebounds, etc. They uncharacteristically panicked. That's why they lost the game.

So, in fact, my take on this comes precisely because my team lost - and I realized that my mind and eyes had lied to me and that the real responsibility for the loss lay with the team I supported.

If tonight Federal Hocking wins a close game and a questionable call or two occurs late, I will tell you that officiating did not decide the game because I'm convinced it never does. It will be because of what the FH and Hiland players and coaches did or did not do over the course of the entire game.

I'm not saying you're wrong. You have whatever view you want. I am saying that I enjoy games a ton more since I put officiating in the perspective I have explained. I recommend it.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

IVCguy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:17 pm
Gray Cat wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:44 pm Not surprised by your response. I’ve never heard of anyone who’s team won a game agree that the refs were the reason or a reason why they won.
Well, I'm a former whiner when it comes to officiating. You might be interested to know what caused the "former" to occur.

In 2010 I'm sitting at halfcourt of the Schott a few rows up watching the Hiland girls play Harvest Prep for a state championship. Hiland is down 2 with about 30 sec left and needed the ball back. HP takes the ball out of bounds, the dribbler comes tearing up the near sideline. Our PG sets up at the halfcourt line perfectly still, and, bam, the HP player barreled right over her. It was called a block - which I immediately deemed the worst call in the history of bad calls. After all, it happened right in front of me. HP hits 2 FTs and that was the ballgame.

I went home and watched the game again. The TV camera was shooting straight up the sideline, which was also the angle the ref had following the play. What it showed was our PG leaning left to create the contact. The "worst call in the history of bad calls" was actually a correct call. The difference was the perspective I had did not allow me to understand the reality of what had happened.

The truth is that fans can see things refs can't see and refs see a whole lot of things that fans can't see. Perspective and angle matters. Furthermore, refs don't care who wins or loses. Fans are emotionally invested and that emotion can distort reality.

But the biggest truth for me to accept was that our players lost that game by not executing in the last minutes. They turned the ball over, took bad shots, didn't box out and get rebounds, etc. They uncharacteristically panicked. That's why they lost the game.

So, in fact, my take on this comes precisely because my team lost - and I realized that my mind and eyes had lied to me and that the real responsibility for the loss lay with the team I supported.

If tonight Federal Hocking wins a close game and a questionable call or two occurs late, I will tell you that officiating did not decide the game because I'm convinced it never does. It will be because of what the FH and Hiland players and coaches did or did not do over the course of the entire game.

I'm not saying you're wrong. You have whatever view you want. I am saying that I enjoy games a ton more since I put officiating in the perspective I have explained. I recommend it.
Unfortunately Matt ash has never added a “like” button on here

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

IVCguy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:17 pm

Nice story. Glad for you that you’ve been resurrected. Two points I disagree with you on. First, some refs do care who wins the game. In fact truth be known it’s probably many. Not to say they all are affected by that as far as how they call the game. But they do care for various reasons. Secondly, the calls the refs make can and many times do help determine the outcome of a game, just like a good or bad play or decision by a coach or player does. I don’t know of a Bengals fan who won’t name two or three calls by the refs that cost them the game against KC in the AFC championship. My opinion is the players, coaches and refs all play a role in determining the outcome of the game. Other than that, good post.

Return to “Boys Basketball”