Berlin Hiland 55 Federal Hocking 51 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Berlin Hiland 55 Federal Hocking 51 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Hiland 55
Federal Hocking 51 a final

...Berlin Hiland entered the game as an annual top dog in coming to the Convo out of the East District ... where the Roundhouse on Richland was/is just a stepping stone to going to the Show , the Final 4 in C'bus , now Dayton ... the Federal Hocking Lancers, the best the SE District has/had to offer - the best last shot at getting a SE district D4 team to the state championship ... How would the Lancers of Coach Thompson/Coach Tolson react - intimidated? would they feel like they deserved to be on the same court as A Berlin Hiland with all of their regional hardware, state Final 4 appearances? THIS Hiland team was not of the same caliber as THE Hiland teams of the past ... having lost 8 games BUT also having played a schedule that had them prepared to play in the NEXT level games at The Show ... going into this one I felt good about FH's chance to advance! seeing Hiland struggling with River after having taken a 19 point lead/ a Hawk's team that had to hang on to get the W to advance to the Athens regional ... difficulty handling pressure - a strength of Federal Hocking all season - the ability to apply pressure on the perimeter ... the key would be to score baskets so they could get INTO pressure sets to apply the full court pressure in the backcourt ... I was curious to see how this one played out for 32 minutes ...

... someone posted on a SEOPS thread that D4 crowds are "usually" small? Federal Hocking/SEOhio came out in numbers last night! amazing turnout for the Lancers by the FH faithful AND followers of the TVC, basketball in SEO ... I told the Federal Hocking coaching staff before the game that looking at the crowd - the first W was already in the books with the 5 pep busses from FH - the battle of the stands was all Fed Hock ... the only battle left to win was on the court ...

Caden Chapman took the lid off the basket for Federal Hocking as the sr guard went to the line for 2 FTs (2/2) ... the Hawks answered by getting the ball down low in the paint to 6-7 Alex Yoder ... the big post player for Hilland quickly made his presence felt with a putback bucket and 2 more fgs at the rim (6pts) ... Andrew Airhart for FH countered with 9 pts in the quarter including a "nothing but net 3 pointer" ... when you "show" the 3 ball you can then get to the rim, Airhart put the ball on the floor, got to the rim for 3 fgs to go with his triple ... Sammy Detweiler for Hiland was put on the FT line for a pair /hitting both (2pts) and sr. shooting guard Carson Habeger added 2pter to close out the Hawks scoring in the first qtr. ...with Drew Airhart providing the scoring, jr PG Tariq Cottrill got into the scorebook with a midrange jumper ... Federal Hocking 13 Hiland 10 after 1 ... playing a "program" of such basketball pedigree as Berlin Hiland, the 1st quarter is BIG - whether it's spoken or not/or if it is only a cheap seat thought & not a team thought - the thought for any opposing team is "do we belong on the court with a perennial power like "A Berlin Hiland"? Federal Hocking answered that question on the court in the first as they played toe to toe with Hiland, FH looked comfortable and as the quarter went along - looked confident ... 13-10 lead, defensively kept the ball in the park by not allowing a Hiland three pointer, your 3 point scorer had drained his first triple - game on ... when you play "a program" that historically is successful at the Convo, a key is to NOT give them confidence, keep a lead and if at all possible build on that lead ... the 2nd quarter had the Lancers forcing 6 Hawks turnovers! pushing the lead out to 7 at one point ... scoring for FH - Cottrill on a drive to the rim for 2pts/ Iden Miller with a tough 10 ft jumper , Drew Airhart continued to get it done with 2pts & 1 ... Hiland showed signs of "not being" THAT Hiland TEAM of years gone by, BUT they "ain't" far removed as Sammy Detweiler hit a pair of 2pt buckets/Habeger 2/2 from the line, soph Nick Wigton drained back to back three pointers from the wing ... something Hiland has been IS resilient - taken a punch and got back into games/ or stiffened to take leads lost, back ... Scotty Balch off the bench drilled a 3 to give Federal Hocking a 25-24 lead going into the locker rooms ... Federal Hocking 25 Hiland 24 at the half ... 16 minutes in the books - Fed Hock had held it's own - only 5 turnovers while turning the Hawks over 7 times - check ... both teams were 2/8 from beyond the arc ... 1 point game ... playing vs a team like Hiland which puts a lot of emphasis on discipline/fundamentals/ball movement/ ball handling a 1 point lead wasn't going to be enough ... close games/1 possession games seem to always come down to turnovers and FT shooting being the deciding factors ... free throws Fed Hock thru 2 qtr 3/4 and Hiland 4/4 ... turnovers FH 5/Hiland 7 ... 1 point lead Lancers ... adjustments starting out the 3rd - after the big man for HHS got an early 6 points in the opening qtr - nothing in the 2nd ... would HHS go back to Yoder in the paint? I kept looking for Detweiler to find the range from 3, as the now jr/last year soph had 5 triples vs Western Pike in regional action ... quality teams seem to be those teams where EVERYONE contributes offensively forcing defenses to DEFEND the entire floor ... in the 3rd Hiland showed their balance as 5 players added to the napkin stat sheet - Detweiler drained 2 treys (6pts) / Alex Miller a triple 3pts/Habeger 4pts /jr Connor Beachy 2 pts along with sr Phin Killy 2pts ... 3 treys - separation ... for Fed Hock - Tariq Cottrill put together a string of baskets 3 fgs/6 pts / Iden Miller drained a 3-pointer & a 2 pter plus 1/1 from the FT line ... 2 of the main scorers for FH were held in check in the 3rd Airhart/Balch each held scoreless ... as I mentioned free throw shooting in close games IS a BIG DEAL - the Lancers went 1/3 from the line in the 3rd while HHS was 2/2 to go with the 3 triples ... both teams coughed up the ball in the 3rd Fed Hocking leading the negative stat 7-6 ... in the end the 2 FT's by Habeger to close out the quarter gave the Hawks their first end of quarter leads ... Hiland 41 Federal Hocking 39 end of 3 ... Hiland had checked off their "adjustments" at halftime - get the perimeter 3's (3 treys in the 3rd) ... next up find the big man in the post ... Yoder scoreless the middle 2 periods - the Hawks found him in the paint for 2 fgs 4pts ... for Fed Hock Airhart/Balch added a pair of fgs 4pts ... the Lancers the 3rd qtr through midway in the 4 had FT opportunities going 1/5 in that stretch - I circled them on my napkin stat sheet - hoping they didn't come back to haunt the Lancers ... at 4:35 the score was knotted at 45-45 ... at 2:31 on the game clock Iden Miller drained a 3 to give FH a 48-47 lead ... defense/turnovers by both teams FH 7 in the period/HHS 6 ... with 54.4 to play Habeger with a putback bucket with an & 1 attempt and miss ... Hiland 49 Fed Hock 48 ... 21.3 the Hawks threw over the top of the FH fullcourt pressure hitting Yoder in stride for an easy 2pts ... 51-48 Hiland ... Drew Airhart with a "nothing but net" triple with 13.3 on the game clock 51-51 ... timeout Hiland ... the Hawks had 1 player from last season's Final 4 team that had major contributions and PT - jr Sammy Detweiler ... the smooth shooting guard took the inbounds pass, dribbled the length of the court unimpeded with an easy drive to the block for 2 pts. 53-51 Hiland 5.5 on the clock ... Lancer inbound, dribble up the left side , hard pass to the right for Airhart went through his hands for a turnover - no shot on goal ... inbounds to soph Nick Wigton fouled with .2 seconds to play ... 2/2 from the line ... the Hawks survive and advance ... they may not be one of the better Hiland teams as in the past BUT they are winners with quality players and all of the pieces - size, perimeter & in the paint scoring, defense ... and they know how to win ... Hiland 55 Federal Hocking 51 a final ...

...Pfloyd's official UN-official Napkin Stats - Federal Hocking

Scoring ... Drew Airhart 17, Iden Miller 11, Tariq Cottrill 10, Scotty Balch 9, Caden Chapman 4
3 Pointers ... 5/19 ... Iden Miller 2, Drew Airhart 2, Scotty Balch 1
FTs ... 6/11 ... a big stretch in the 3 and 4th quarters FH went 1/5 which came back to haunt them imo
TOs ... 19
PnP ... 9 fgs/ 18 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbk ... 1 fg/ 2 points on putback buckets

... Congratulations to the Lancer TEAM, coaching staff, school community on just and outstanding season ... TVC Hocking league 'ship, sectional champs, district champs, regional qualifier ... they were in a position to move on - played an outstanding game ... if I had to pick turning points or "why's" they didn't or weren't able to get it done - I would start with the 1/5 from the free throw line in the 3rd and first half of the 4th quarters ... the turnovers - 14 in the the 2nd half/ 7 in each of the last 2 quarters ... 14 empty trips in a 2 point game ( the last 2 points from the FT line .2 on the clock - a "had to" foul)... other than that the Hawks did the rest - held Tariq in the park (no 3 pointers/made it tough for Tariq to get to the rim), taking Airhart out of the game/held scoreless in the 3rd ... HHS did a real good defensive job on Caden Chapman (4 pts) ... the Lancers were in it the entire game, not out classed whatsoever ... thank you to Coach Thompson/Coach Tolson for allowing pfloyd to follow the Federal Hocking play on the court all season ... had some good basketball/coaching philosophy chats with Coach Tolson all season - greatly enjoyed the conversations Coach.

... Pfloyd's official UN-Official Napkin Stats - Berlin Hiland

Scoring ... Sammy Detweiler 14, Alex Yoder 12, Carson Habeger 10, Nick Wigton 10, Phin Killy 4, Alex Miller 3, Connor Beachy 2
3 Pointers ... 4/16 ... Sammy Detweiler 2, Nick Wilson 2
FTs ... 8/10
TOs ... 19
PnP ... 13 fgs/ 26 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbk ... 1 fg/ 2 points on putback buckets

... not sure you call any team at this point in the season - inexperienced ... I was surprised at the Hawks 19 turnovers but they put the ball in a freshman PGs hands - BUT at this point in the season that freshman "ain't" a freshman, he & his teammates have experience at the varsity level and with the Hiland schedule - these players have seen quality teams/pressure/talent/size etc. they will get to the Final 4 in Dayton (my Ouija Board says Westerville Northside Christian doesn't have the horses/discipline to play with Hiland) ... my Ouija Board also says Berlin Hiland will get back to the Convo for regional play NEXT season ... Best of luck to Hiland Saturday in the final...

Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Berlin Hiland 55 Federal Hocking 51 a final

Post by 93Bulldog »

Great rundown Floyd.

I'll simplify my thoughts.

Fans = A
Effort both teams = A
Coaching = A
Girl who sang anthem = A++
Officiating = D-

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

Great rundown of the game. As I said on another thread it felt to me like Fed Hock took too many quick or contested threes in the second half when they got behind. It felt like they wanted to get it all back at once instead of working for a better shot. All in all though it was a great game and great effort by both teams. Great programs just win games and it would be hard to find a program that does that better than Hiland.

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Sportsfan01 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:45 pm Great rundown of the game. As I said on another thread it felt to me like Fed Hock took too many quick or contested threes in the second half when they got behind. It felt like they wanted to get it all back at once instead of working for a better shot. All in all though it was a great game and great effort by both teams. Great programs just win games and it would be hard to find a program that does that better than Hiland.
... agreed about taking "quick" shots and ... great programs just win games ... usually the great programs play a schedule where they have seen/been in ALL situations by the time the post season rolls around - doesn't make it easier just gives them some reference/familiarity/and possible "ease" because they were successful in the similar situation ... can't keep it close have to find separation vs the good programs , have to make THEM uncomfortable ... great effort by both teams Tuesday night for sure ...

q

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:37 pm
Sportsfan01 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:45 pm Great rundown of the game. As I said on another thread it felt to me like Fed Hock took too many quick or contested threes in the second half when they got behind. It felt like they wanted to get it all back at once instead of working for a better shot. All in all though it was a great game and great effort by both teams. Great programs just win games and it would be hard to find a program that does that better than Hiland.
... agreed about taking "quick" shots and ... great programs just win games ... usually the great programs play a schedule where they have seen/been in ALL situations by the time the post season rolls around - doesn't make it easier just gives them some reference/familiarity/and possible "ease" because they were successful in the similar situation ... can't keep it close have to find separation vs the good programs , have to make THEM uncomfortable ... great effort by both teams Tuesday night for sure ...

q
It was a great rundown - as always. Thanks.

I do know that the Hiland programs schedule to lose at least 2 or 3 games a year and with the boys there are always 4-6 games that will be a hard test them in league. But when they play X division 1 or 2 schools without outstanding size and talent, I think it helps a team to "feel" that and when they get someone more in their size and talent range, even if they are at a disadvantage, it doesn't feel as intimidating or unusual. What do you think of that idea?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

IVCguy wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:30 pm
pfloyd wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:37 pm

q
It was a great rundown - as always. Thanks.

I do know that the Hiland programs schedule to lose at least 2 or 3 games a year and with the boys there are always 4-6 games that will be a hard test them in league. But when they play X division 1 or 2 schools without outstanding size and talent, I think it helps a team to "feel" that and when they get someone more in their size and talent range, even if they are at a disadvantage, it doesn't feel as intimidating or unusual. What do you think of that idea?
IVCguy, sounds right to me ... I know Fairfield Union makes up their schedule in a similar way ... they have the conference schedule that you can't do anything about - teams are what they are BUT the non-conference schedule they set up a third of the games to be games they will probably lose due to the quality of teams played ... another third are teams that will push them to get W's ... and the final third vs teams that they should beat ... you learn more from those games you lose ..fits the saying : "you don't lose/fail you learn" ... I agree with what you posted IVCguy ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”