Waverly Basketball - Head Coach

PurplePower
Freshman Team

Re: Waverly Basketball - Head Coach

Post by PurplePower »

Calvin wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:39 am
Tom Smyth wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:38 am ^^^ Carl Wolfe is the name I keep hearing. Is he even still alive? With that duo the football program would surely suffer but Waverly has always been a basketball school so no one would care I doubt.
Is Carl the man, again. Or is he the one who dropped out? I’d heard earlier that it was his job if he wanted it.
If he applied, he is the obvious choice.

BEWARE OF THE STOMP AND STARE!
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

We would be sad to see Josh leave Peebles. His record speaks volumes. Well over 200 wins and well under 100 loses at a little school like Peebles. He always has his fingers on the pulse of the Indian lifeline. Great teacher of the game.Great and still a young man although I may be a little biased. I've not heard a peep here at Peebles. Perhaps he's making room for his Boys to take the reins.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Hoopie74 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:02 pm We would be sad to see Josh leave Peebles. His record speaks volumes. Well over 200 wins and well under 100 loses at a little school like Peebles. He always has his fingers on the pulse of the Indian lifeline. Great teacher of the game.Great and still a young man although I may be a little biased. I've not heard a peep here at Peebles. Perhaps he's making room for his Boys to take the reins.
I’m hearing you don’t have to worry about him leaving Peebles now.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

smurray wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:46 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:02 pm We would be sad to see Josh leave Peebles. His record speaks volumes. Well over 200 wins and well under 100 loses at a little school like Peebles. He always has his fingers on the pulse of the Indian lifeline. Great teacher of the game.Great and still a young man although I may be a little biased. I've not heard a peep here at Peebles. Perhaps he's making room for his Boys to take the reins.
I’m hearing you don’t have to worry about him leaving Peebles now.
Yeah, I talked to him. He excited about some players coming up here and looking forward to next season.

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

Good news for Peebles, bad news for Waverly. Arey is top notch. I always have thought that he was one of the best coaches in southern Ohio. Kids are always fundamental and play hard, takes a lot of time to develop that in the program to have it consistently year after year. And yes it does help a little when you have guys like the Justice brothers and surrounding cast that has come through Peebles. Hopefully the Worthington Christian coach is actually interested, still not sure how much truth there is to him being interested.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

bobcats94 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:22 am Good news for Peebles, bad news for Waverly. Arey is top notch. I always have thought that he was one of the best coaches in southern Ohio. Kids are always fundamental and play hard, takes a lot of time to develop that in the program to have it consistently year after year. And yes it does help a little when you have guys like the Justice brothers and surrounding cast that has come through Peebles. Hopefully the Worthington Christian coach is actually interested, still not sure how much truth there is to him being interested.
He is interviewing early next week so we'll find out soon..

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Kevin seems like a stretch to take this job. He has two girls playing college basketball in different parts of the state, and I don’t believe he ever had a job that paid into STRS or any public-side retirement system. Unless he has some combination of ties/actual supports at Waverly, and a firm reason for wanting to move to the southern part of the state, it just doesn’t add up as to why he’d go for this.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

formerfcfan wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:25 am Kevin seems like a stretch to take this job. He has two girls playing college basketball in different parts of the state, and I don’t believe he ever had a job that paid into STRS or any public-side retirement system. Unless he has some combination of ties/actual supports at Waverly, and a firm reason for wanting to move to the southern part of the state, it just doesn’t add up as to why he’d go for this.
Yeah I think some are skeptical about that one, I’m doubting he’s truly interested. Wouldn’t be surprised if he was just trying to use it to push other offers.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:23 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:25 am Kevin seems like a stretch to take this job. He has two girls playing college basketball in different parts of the state, and I don’t believe he ever had a job that paid into STRS or any public-side retirement system. Unless he has some combination of ties/actual supports at Waverly, and a firm reason for wanting to move to the southern part of the state, it just doesn’t add up as to why he’d go for this.
Yeah I think some are skeptical about that one, I’m doubting he’s truly interested. Wouldn’t be surprised if he was just trying to use it to push other offers.
That could very well be the case but he's still standing at this point and is set to interview next week. I don't believe 2 of the top contenders who backed out ever interviewed. I don't see Weakley backing out if he follows through with an official interview and touring the facilities - but I could be wrong. I did hear there was a really good interview this week.
Last edited by smurray on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

smurray wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:59 pm
That could very well be the case but he's still standing at this point and is set to interview next week. I don't believe 2 of the top contenders who backed out ever interviewed. I don't see Weekly backing out if he follows through with an official interview and touring the facilities - but I could be wrong. I did hear there was a really good interview this week.
No I don’t ever think there was any official interview with those 2 more of a feeling out process.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:21 pm
smurray wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:59 pm

That could very well be the case but he's still standing at this point and is set to interview next week. I don't believe 2 of the top contenders who backed out ever interviewed. I don't see Weekly backing out if he follows through with an official interview and touring the facilities - but I could be wrong. I did hear there was a really good interview this week.
No I don’t ever think there was any official interview with those 2 more of a feeling out process.
It's getting down to the nitty gritty.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Word is Weakley accepted another coaching job in the Columbus area. He won’t be interviewing at Waverly this week.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

So no Arey, no Weakley, who does Waverly turn to next?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

transplant wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:40 am So no Arey, no Weakley, who does Waverly turn to next?
That’s in the works…

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Well, at least they have a plan. I'm sure they will find the right guy. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

Sounds like plans A, B, C, and D didnt work. Wonder if Plan E will

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

I'm hearing Horton from Valley may be next man up, I've also heard Miller from Piketon was a target which makes sense as Waverly needs a good guy to develop young kids coming up and would put a lot of time in. He may want to stay on the other side of the Scioto though... Williams is out from Western, Fitch is not interested, Norm is at Webster, Barrick is happily retired, all of the SOC 2 coaches are staying where they're at. Waverly is running out of top tier candidates....

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

Horton would be a great hire IMO. Great defensive minded coach who will bring a physical style of play to the Tigers. Personally, I believe he should of never got let go at Valley.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

bobcats94 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:11 pm I'm hearing Horton from Valley may be next man up, I've also heard Miller from Piketon was a target which makes sense as Waverly needs a good guy to develop young kids coming up and would put a lot of time in. He may want to stay on the other side of the Scioto though... Williams is out from Western, Fitch is not interested, Norm is at Webster, Barrick is happily retired, all of the SOC 2 coaches are staying where they're at. Waverly is running out of top tier candidates....
Miller was an early target and may have entertained it for a day or 2 but declined, never applied.
Horton is indeed in the mix as top tier candidates fall by the wayside. I'd say he may be in the top 3 of the remaining candidates who have applied. Can't say that to 100% certainty.

I would say there's much more to picking the right HC than just that one person - assistants are very important and that is being heavily weighed as well.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I just saw news Tim Casey is available...

Return to “Boys Basketball”