Waverly Basketball - Head Coach

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Waverly Basketball - Head Coach

Post by smurray »

There's a lot more going on than just finding a Boys Basketball Coach. A New Supt is to be named, possibly this week. Depending on that decision, the Director of Operations position may need to be filled as well as a Principal position. The people on the search committee for the coach are working as diligently as possible to find the best candidate available.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Basketball coach should be top priority over all.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:12 am Basketball coach should be top priority over all.
Just out of morbid curiosity, why do you think that? Is it that you feel learning ball handling, boxing out, and winning gold balls is more important than a school district having its student body be proficient in basic reading and math?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Omega wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:55 am
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:12 am Basketball coach should be top priority over all.
Just out of morbid curiosity, why do you think that? Is it that you feel learning ball handling, boxing out, and winning gold balls is more important than a school district having its student body be proficient in basic reading and math?
Education is important but basketball is importanter

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Omega wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:55 am
Yes, because hiring one extracurricular position will wholly cripple the entire education for an entire school district.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Still wondering why Waverly hasn’t called me back yet… y’all must not want greatness

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I'm hearing Waverly has made a decision...

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Yes …. That is what I’m hearing from my fellow SVC buddies. It is an interesting hire!! Best of luck moving forward.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Very interesting. 1 SVC league win in two seasons. Good luck to the Tigers.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

It will be interesting for sure.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

87-81 in 7 years between Adena and Huntington

Took Adena to the Regionals for the first time in 40 years and won an SVC championship there

It was a rough couple of years at Huntington, but it was going to be regardless of who was in charge.

I think this will be a good hire for the Tigers, as he was able to help take Adena to greater heights in a short span.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

A lot of people get caught up in wins and losses. Yes he may of only won 1 SVG game in 2 years but SVC is pretty tough from top to bottom. Also, what did he do when he had talent? When his teams weren't as talented, did you see improvement each game? You could be the best coach but if you don't have talent then not much you can do. By talent, I mean kids that can dribble under pressure & shoot the basketball.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:41 pm Still wondering why Waverly hasn’t called me back yet… y’all must not want greatness
They didn't call you?

Joe Buckeye
Waterboy

Post by Joe Buckeye »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:30 pm 87-81 in 7 years between Adena and Huntington

Took Adena to the Regionals for the first time in 40 years and won an SVC championship there

It was a rough couple of years at Huntington, but it was going to be regardless of who was in charge.

I think this will be a good hire for the Tigers, as he was able to help take Adena to greater heights in a short span.
You are correct. Anyone coaching at Adena during those years would have been successful and anyone coaching in the twp during that time would have struggled. I would’ve like to have seen him build a program somewhere, though, instead of bouncing around so much.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Joe Buckeye wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:27 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:30 pm 87-81 in 7 years between Adena and Huntington

You are correct. Anyone coaching at Adena during those years would have been successful and anyone coaching in the twp during that time would have struggled. I would’ve like to have seen him build a program somewhere, though, instead of bouncing around so much.
That’s certainly fair. It will definitely take some building to get Waverly back up, but I know they have some talent in the middle school.

Huntington (if they all stay) has some nice pieces coming up through the ranks, which could help the Huntsmen make a run back to where they were about 15 years ago.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

Huntington is a tough spot right now.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Being a SVC guy this hire interest me. I think it is a safe hire for Waverly but I’m wondering if it is a long-term hire. Coach Bradley won a district championship and a league championship at Adena which are great accomplishments. But I was very puzzled by his departure from Adena to Huntington. That was not a step up or even a parallel move.

Waverly has a good group in jr. high. (if they stick with it) I’m sure that was his interest in position. My question is will he stay after that talent graduates from the program. Hopefully he will be able to get the program built back up!

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

Huntington will definitely be ok in the future, they have several young kids that seem promising. Waverly does as well but keep in mind you better have some players when you will be in the d2 tourney every year. Obviously Waverly has better facilities which might have played in Bradley's decision to move but I'm pretty sure the TWP community aren't all that sad to see Bradley leave. They didn't have much talent but could have been a little more competitive this past season than what they were. The SVC other than ZT is pretty down right now. I'm not sure Miller at Piketon had that much more talent or even Adena has had much more talent than Bradley did at Huntington but Piketon/Adena beat them twice and seem to be more competitive throughout the year. Not all of this is on Bradley but I think its fair to say he definitely did not overachieve in his stint there. That's why I am surprised to see Waverly go with him but Bradley is known for putting a lot of time in and running a discipline program which will help Waverly's young kids. It will be interesting to see the staff he puts together and whether he can get a good turnout this summer. I really think those two things will determine how successful he is this next season

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

School Board Meeting tonight.

Safety.50!
Waterboy

Post by Safety.50! »

He is not very popular at Huntington right now, he applies for a job else where , tells no one he is leaving he even introduced a new coach he was bringing in to the players just days before , and didn't even tell him he was leaving ??? Huntington gave him every thing he wanted treated him like he had won 10 state championships, even hired his wife as a teacher? His first year he ran so many kids off the barely had enough to have a varsity team? No Jv or Freshman teams he had to recruit kids just to have enough for Jr High .1st year he won 2 or 3 games then fired his whole staff , brought in new Coaches this year, won 3 or 4 games and was in the process of getting rid of them and bringing in new coaches again? I guess that wasn't the problem . Sounds to me like its not the Kids at Huntington, its the inability to get along with not only his coaches or the players he is coaching???
Probably the best thing that could of happened for Huntington!
Now we will see how many kids he will recruit and take to Waverly?

Return to “Boys Basketball”