SE

Re: Waverly Basketball - Head Coach

Post by transplant »

Burn the boat...

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Well, looks like we've got our new coach guess we'll see where we go from here with it.

Lovesports123
Waterboy

Post by Lovesports123 »

Looks like a lot of people don’t like him. I just wonder when he left adena feelings were mutual ?

Lovesports123
Waterboy

Post by Lovesports123 »

The last couple years were rough at Huntington.

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Post by soggybottomtopper »

Safety.50! wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:55 am He is not very popular at Huntington right now, he applies for a job else where , tells no one he is leaving he even introduced a new coach he was bringing in to the players just days before , and didn't even tell him he was leaving ??? Huntington gave him every thing he wanted treated him like he had won 10 state championships, even hired his wife as a teacher? His first year he ran so many kids off the barely had enough to have a varsity team? No Jv or Freshman teams he had to recruit kids just to have enough for Jr High .1st year he won 2 or 3 games then fired his whole staff , brought in new Coaches this year, won 3 or 4 games and was in the process of getting rid of them and bringing in new coaches again? I guess that wasn't the problem . Sounds to me like its not the Kids at Huntington, its the inability to get along with not only his coaches or the players he is coaching???
Probably the best thing that could of happened for Huntington!
Now we will see how many kids he will recruit and take to Waverly?
You are probably more in tune with this hire than me, but I heard just the opposite. I heard he was taking assistants with him to Waverly? Not sure if there is any truth to that or not. The thing that puzzles me the most is they competed with the Unioto's and Paint Valley's right down to the wire and there is talent coming at Huntington. Seemed like it was about to break out! But, what do I know.

Lovesports123
Waterboy

Post by Lovesports123 »

Poor Huntington kids had a rough year this year. With losing their court and having to hold practices at other schools. Maybe is was too much for him. I have a friend whose boy plays for Huntington. Heard a lot of negativity this year but also that’s a lot to deal with too. The Potter kid was hurt and the Brown kid wasn’t given opportunity to play. Maybe it could have been different. Maybe not but you are right there is talent coming so his change to waverly is puzzling. From what I hear waverly will be down again for a couple more years. Dude’s gotta a hard road ahead of him.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Guessing Waverly might struggle a bit this year as well, not to the extent that we did this past season. There's plenty of talent coming up and coming into Waverly that should make the turn around fairly quick. Don't really know a lot about the guy but I believe the kids have heard certain things and hopefully they do go in with an open mind on it. They got to see Huntington some this year as they hosted their practices and some games as well, I'm sure that was very tough on everyone involved in that one.

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

Man, give the guy a chance. He was obviously the best candidate or they wouldn’t have hired him.

I know Waverly went to State 2 years ago, but IMO, they have underachieved in the SOC with the size of school they are playing a D3 schedule in conference

Closeouts23
Waterboy

Post by Closeouts23 »

Waverly struck out once again….

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

HERO wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:52 pm Man, give the guy a chance. He was obviously the best candidate or they wouldn’t have hired him.

I know Waverly went to State 2 years ago, but IMO, they have underachieved in the SOC with the size of school they are playing a D3 schedule in conference
Underachieving in the conference sure, but as far as tournament play they’ve done pretty well going as far back as 2018

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:10 pm
Omega wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:55 am
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:12 am Basketball coach should be top priority over all.
Just out of morbid curiosity, why do you think that? Is it that you feel learning ball handling, boxing out, and winning gold balls is more important than a school district having its student body be proficient in basic reading and math?
Education is important but basketball is importanter
Batter up!! Can of corn!

Safety.50!
Waterboy

Post by Safety.50! »

The way I understand is that several Coaches turned the Waverly job down and he was their last resort!

Tigernation2021
Varsity

HERO wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:52 pm Man, give the guy a chance. He was obviously the best candidate or they wouldn’t have hired him.

That's sort of a blanket statement, over what course of time are you referring to?? Because just looking at maxpreps let's look at the numbers and not going to count 2022-2023 season for the simple fact that was a total rebuild and more of the outlier.
2016-17--12-5 in conference and 21-9 overall
2017-2018--Maxpreps saying 16-4 but I think it's 13-4 in conf. and 25-8 overall
2018-19--11-5 in conf. and 16-9 overall
2019-20--14-3 in conf. and 19-7 overall
2020-21--13-2 conf. and 20-5 overall
2021-22--15-1 conf. and 22-5 overall

6 seasons--78-20 for a 79.5 winning % in conference over that time, so I guess I'm confused by this notion of underachieving. Are they supposed to win every game every year? I mean that's a 6 year run I just posted players coming and going and still having a 80% winning percentage. 123-43 overall during that time with multiple deep runs in the tourney and a state semi-final game to boot tossed in. Yeah Waverly has really been underachieving in SOC play guess a 80% winning percentage doesn't go a long ways for your team.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Safety.50! wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:44 pm The way I understand is that several Coaches turned the Waverly job down and he was their last resort!
Have to be offered the job in order to turn it down. Waverly posted the open coaches position and then made calls inquiring about interest levels of certain coaches, most were happy with their current situations and wanted to see that commitment through. I can't ever fault a coach for being in it for the long haul and I have no idea where the last resort notion came from as that's simply not the case. Last resort would be a school hiring a guy in June/July not the beginning of parts of April. I mean you seem to be put forth this notion of having information on the matter, do you really think he was the only guy interviewed? :roll:

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Safety.50! wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:44 pm The way I understand is that several Coaches turned the Waverly job down and he was their last resort!
That’s becoming the norm at a lot of places. Many programs are struggling and the best coaches aren’t leaving

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:48 pm

That's sort of a blanket statement, over what course of time are you referring to?? Because just looking at maxpreps let's look at the numbers and not going to count 2022-2023 season for the simple fact that was a total rebuild and more of the outlier.

6 seasons--78-20 for a 79.5 winning % in conference over that time, so I guess I'm confused by this notion of underachieving. Are they supposed to win every game every year? I mean that's a 6 year run I just posted players coming and going and still having a 80% winning percentage. 123-43 overall during that time with multiple deep runs in the tourney and a state semi-final game to boot tossed in. Yeah Waverly has really been underachieving in SOC play guess a 80% winning percentage doesn't go a long ways for your team.
I think last year counts doesn’t it, or are we just forgetting that season?

How many league titles does waverly have in the past 10 years?

A D2 school playing a D3 schedule should have more league success is all that I’m saying. Kretzer was a stud as well as Robertson that lead to great seasons.

Waverly people act like this is a job that everyone would want

Tigernation2021
Varsity

HERO wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:52 am

A D2 school playing a D3 schedule should have more league success is all that I’m saying. Kretzer was a stud as well as Robertson that lead to great seasons.

Ah ok, so then you're just talking about last season underachieving, because see you referenced 2 years ago so I was trying to figure out your timeline. Now that I know it's based off of one season than I agree 100% they really underachieved then last year in SOC play. Looking at all the post trying to figure out where an actual Waverly person said it was a job everyone wanted, help me out with that one. Pretty sure going into last season after Travis was done everyone said it'd be a tough spot to fill especially with everyone they graduated. Don't be confused by saying Waverly ppl said this, when none of them had and most who actually know the team knew last season was at best a 4-6 win season depending on how the ball bounced, with those on the outside looking in saying that should be a great job to get and easy to fill because that's 2 different things. Kretzer was a stud and Robertson was as well special class to come through but as you can see from the years listed there's plenty there where neither were on the team and still had plenty of success. I always find it funny when someone tries to break this big picture topic of success down to but you're a bigger school playing smaller schools and poof that should mean automatic titles. Does Unioto run the SVC in football and basketball every year?? I mean look at the size of Chillicothe and for some reason the last few years they've been terrible when it comes to basketball.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

HERO wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:52 am

The DII school in a DIII conference for basketball really means nothing. Basketball isn’t football. And the league isn’t very bad go back in some of those years where Waverly would make a good run in the tournament there was a good chance that Burg, Minford, Valley and Webster all made good runs

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Waverly in my opinion is one of those schools - D2 - where due to their size as well as looking at the school success in other sports programs ie. football - Tiger Nation HAS athletes walking the halls who play sports -football, baseball & basketball ... many of these athletes played basketball up to when they made a decision to go with playing one sport ie. football ... earlier in the process when Coach Arey, and other names were being bantered around - "I" thought with the coaching talent of Coach Arey & others mentioned - those coaches would be very successful at Waverly due the combination of the coaching talent/philosophies AND the quality of athletes at Waverly High School ... I STILL think that is the case! Coach Kyle Bradley IS a good coach imo - from watching his teams at Adena, and even at Huntington - his teams play D, fundamentals are emphasized ... both if taught/emphasized at the younger grades through the high school are the foundation for creating a program ... Waverly has the athletes from the younger grades through high school to be - as they have been over the years - "a player in SEOhio hoops" and a team that has and will again go deep into the post season - yes, under Coach Bradley ...he will need time to "get the athletes out" for basketball , to develop HIS system ... getting coaches in place up and down the grades that buy into HIS system will be key to Waverly success again ... I wish Coach Bradley nothing but success in getting Waverly back into the conversation during league play and post season play ... Basketball Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line is ALWAYS better when the Waverlys', Portsmouths', etc. are battling for league titles & being teams that others want to stay away from in the post season draws ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”