Waverly Basketball - Head Coach

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Waverly Basketball - Head Coach

Post by MasterOfNone »

https://www.ohsaa.org/School-Resources/Job-Openings

Looks like Waverly is on the search yet again for a Head Boys Basketball Coach. Hopefully they find someone who is a good fit and in it for the long haul.

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Waverly Basketball - Head Coach

Post by bbjunky81 »

I hope they find a great candidate, but dang, this is a tough job. The 7th grade group was really good so you have some talent coming, but you're going to be very down until then. Being in Division 2 always make it tough when you're down talent, and SOC 2 looks very promising the next 3-4 years with what Minford/Valley/Burg/Webster all have.

Tough situation. I hope whoever they hire the admin is patient with them and gives them 3-4 years to rebuild from the bottom up. Fans, too, need to be patient. Expectations last year weren't realistic by some of the posters on here.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

Who could we see being interested in the job?

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Robertson returns to coach his kid.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Bozo wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:37 am Robertson returns to coach his kid.
His kid is at Paint Valley now.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

He returns to Waverly.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:11 am I hope they find a great candidate, but dang, this is a tough job. The 7th grade group was really good so you have some talent coming, but you're going to be very down until then. Being in Division 2 always make it tough when you're down talent, and SOC 2 looks very promising the next 3-4 years with what Minford/Valley/Burg/Webster all have.

Tough situation. I hope whoever they hire the admin is patient with them and gives them 3-4 years to rebuild from the bottom up. Fans, too, need to be patient. Expectations last year weren't realistic by some of the posters on here.
Yeah, Callihan resigned at the beginning of March he's headed back to Circleville to coach soccer told the players the drive is just too much so he's going to finish out the school year teaching and that's all. Depends on what posters you are referring to I think anyone close to the program, myself included had us pegged for at best 5 wins if the ball fell right simply because talent was very young and the SOC was stacked this year. Your run down of being very down until the 7th grade comes through isn't correct either, depending on who takes over as coach you could see 4-6 other guys who would've been playing varsity this past season come out. Now if you can't get those guys out or lose on 2-3 players who have mentioned not playing next then yeah it could be awhile. With the right coach, which I hear they're after a certain individual, is brought in then they could turn it around sooner rather than later. Only graduated 2 seniors this year and 1 didn't play because of injury. Minford will rule the roost for another 2 years, Burg will be at the top, Webster who knows what is going on there with all the internal issues they have, Valley graduated 7 seniors, I think Northwest returns all but 1-2 guys they'll be tough.

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:11 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:11 am I hope they find a great candidate, but dang, this is a tough job. The 7th grade group was really good so you have some talent coming, but you're going to be very down until then. Being in Division 2 always make it tough when you're down talent, and SOC 2 looks very promising the next 3-4 years with what Minford/Valley/Burg/Webster all have.

Yeah, Callihan resigned at the beginning of March he's headed back to Circleville to coach soccer told the players the drive is just too much so he's going to finish out the school year teaching and that's all. Depends on what posters you are referring to I think anyone close to the program, myself included had us pegged for at best 5 wins if the ball fell right simply because talent was very young and the SOC was stacked this year. Your run down of being very down until the 7th grade comes through isn't correct either, depending on who takes over as coach you could see 4-6 other guys who would've been playing varsity this past season come out. Now if you can't get those guys out or lose on 2-3 players who have mentioned not playing next then yeah it could be awhile. With the right coach, which I hear they're after a certain individual, is brought in then they could turn it around sooner rather than later. Only graduated 2 seniors this year and 1 didn't play because of injury. Minford will rule the roost for another 2 years, Burg will be at the top, Webster who knows what is going on there with all the internal issues they have, Valley graduated 7 seniors, I think Northwest returns all but 1-2 guys they'll be tough.
Kids should play because they like to play, not who the coach is or is not. Not sure if a program that is based on certain kids coming back to play, or not quitting would be a great program to build on! Maybe i'm taking what you said out of context though.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Seopnation wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:32 pm
Tigernation2021 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:11 pm

Kids should play because they like to play, not who the coach is or is not. Not sure if a program that is based on certain kids coming back to play, or not quitting would be a great program to build on! Maybe i'm taking what you said out of context though.
Nope, and I get what you're saying some of them went to open gym during the summertime and played in some games. Problem was they didn't like what they seen, and Waverly had a certain assistant coach on the bench that none of them got a long with. Those guys were being cleared out and Callihan was going to remain but as I said he didn't care for the drive and amount of extra time it took away from the home life. Doesn't matter how much a kid loves a sport if they don't respect or feel like they're not respected they're simply not going to deal with it. They didn't quit, can't quit what you didn't start, and I don't consider summertime workouts as part of it. We'll see who we get this time around

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I forgot to mention Northwest in my above post about the SOC 2. Northwest returns a TON and will be VERY GOOD! Just wanted to clear that up, my brain just skipped for a second.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:07 pm I forgot to mention Northwest in my above post about the SOC 2. Northwest returns a TON and will be VERY GOOD! Just wanted to clear that up, my brain just skipped for a second.
As long as they make it through football and soccer healthy.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

As was stated, this has been known for some time now but no one jumping on to start a thread, lol.

Evan was dealt the absolute worst hand possible but he did the best he could do. No need to hash out everything about this past season - it was what it was and anyone close to the program knows….

As for the NEXT Head Coach at Waverly, I understand there were 2 individuals at the top of the short list and it appears 1 of those individuals removed their name from consideration. Not sure either had/has “officially” applied.

I know they are reviewing applicants but will be looking for someone who can make a longterm commitment..

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Just another sh@t show in HS sports. It’s almost everywhere If you have a fairly successful coach who’s been around for a while. Keep him ! Be careful what you wish for !

Vike73
Riding the Bench

Post by Vike73 »

E High wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:56 am Just another sh@t show in HS sports. It’s almost everywhere If you have a fairly successful coach who’s been around for a while. Keep him ! Be careful what you wish for !
The last 2 Waverly coaches, left on their own. Robertson stepped away when his oldest son Trey graduated, and the recent coach stepped down to return to home and coach soccer. I do agree, the turnover rate with high school coaches is alarming.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

smurray wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:53 pm As was stated, this has been known for some time now but no one jumping on to start a thread, lol.

Evan was dealt the absolute worst hand possible but he did the best he could do. No need to hash out everything about this past season - it was what it was and anyone close to the program knows….

As for the NEXT Head Coach at Waverly, I understand there were 2 individuals at the top of the short list and it appears 1 of those individuals removed their name from consideration. Not sure either had/has “officially” applied.

I know they are reviewing applicants but will be looking for someone who can make a longterm commitment..
Hey, I thought it was pretty impressive given how quickly some information comes out on here that no one posted anything about it and it's been almost 2 weeks since Evan said he was heading back to Circleville.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Basketball season is long with the regular season, open gyms, summer league games and practices. The man was driving daily from Circleville, teaching and coaching. That takes a toll on anyone. I wish him well as he returns to Circleville.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:06 am
smurray wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:53 pm As was stated, this has been known for some time now but no one jumping on to start a thread, lol.

Hey, I thought it was pretty impressive given how quickly some information comes out on here that no one posted anything about it and it's been almost 2 weeks since Evan said he was heading back to Circleville.
Ya, glad no one did before now. People get on and make comments, assumptions, etc. and have no idea what they are talking about... I guess that comes with a public forum.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

If the 2 coaches on the short list aren't interested, who do you guys think Waverly will go after? Any other names confirmed that applied?

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

When this hire happened initially I didn’t think it was going to last given the loss of talent to graduation and the returning talent. Interested to see who comes in next and hopefully it is someone who can build back to what the program had been. A respectable program

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

im not sure who gets this job any chance roberson would come back? He did a good job and son could help football team

Return to “Boys Basketball”