Waverly Basketball - Head Coach

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Re: Waverly Basketball - Head Coach

Post by Hoopster98 »

If this job was D3 it would be a great job, but being D2 its a tough job for a few years. Fans and Admin have to be patient and if you see development or success than that's a win.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

transplant wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:47 am If the 2 coaches on the short list aren't interested, who do you guys think Waverly will go after? Any other names confirmed that applied?
One coach pulled his name has a group coming up he wants to see through. Another they’ve reached out to here just within the last couple days seemed interested but has to figure out what direction he wants to go. Taking applications now and reaching out to ppl a bit more then before, think before they thought given the program and school they’d have more to choose from.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

burgpirater wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:29 pm im not sure who gets this job any chance roberson would come back? He did a good job and son could help football team
That would be great but he’s not going to HC again he still wants the flexibility to go watch Trey. Plus it’s 100% up to Braylon if he comes back love to have him he’d lead the way on the court plus being guys back out. On the football field he’s easily be #2 back and get 7-10 carries a game and take over his senior year and have a huge season.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I understand, thanks for the info. I agree, I think Waverly thought they would have more applicants to choose from last time. So hope they get the person they want. Waverly is still a good job to want. Talent coming up and can build the youth program up more.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Hoopster98 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:43 pm If this job was D3 it would be a great job, but being D2 its a tough job for a few years. Fans and Admin have to be patient and if you see development or success than that's a win.

Considering the success that Robertson had for such a long tenure you are correct the patience part is tough

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
PVBearcat2012
Freshman Team

Post by PVBearcat2012 »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:08 pm
burgpirater wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:29 pm im not sure who gets this job any chance roberson would come back? He did a good job and son could help football team
That would be great but he’s not going to HC again he still wants the flexibility to go watch Trey. Plus it’s 100% up to Braylon if he comes back love to have him he’d lead the way on the court plus being guys back out. On the football field he’s easily be #2 back and get 7-10 carries a game and take over his senior year and have a huge season.
Bray isn’t going back. Pretty sure he is super happy at PV and being the 1A option in the backfield.

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

Why would they want Robertson back?

His kid left and went to another school, not much loyalty

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Robertson had a nice run during his time at Waverly. He coached a number of Division - I athletes during his time at Waverly which definitely helps with establishing a good program. I believe he won 2 or 3 SOC Championships, a couple District Championships and a Regional Championship. I believe he is helping at Paint Valley where his younger son is playing and his older son had a great freshmen year at Rio Grande. I can't see him being interested in coming back as a head coach right now.

I think it is time for Waverly to turn their attention to finding somebody that would be willing to do it long term. Maybe find somebody that has a personal interest in Wavelry or somebody that has a connection to Pike County. I think it is common knowledge next year is going to be another year of rebuilding so the new coach has to be willing to do it for the long haul.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

PVBearcat2012 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:54 pm
Tigernation2021 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:08 pm
Bray isn’t going back. Pretty sure he is super happy at PV and being the 1A option in the backfield.
No, I don't think anyone actually expects him to, but I wouldn't say super happy either but he's content this week.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:24 pm Robertson had a nice run during his time at Waverly. He coached a number of Division - I athletes during his time at Waverly which definitely helps with establishing a good program. I believe he won 2 or 3 SOC Championships, a couple District Championships and a Regional Championship. I believe he is helping at Paint Valley where his younger son is playing and his older son had a great freshmen year at Rio Grande. I can't see him being interested in coming back as a head coach right now.

I think it is time for Waverly to turn their attention to finding somebody that would be willing to do it long term. Maybe find somebody that has a personal interest in Wavelry or somebody that has a connection to Pike County. I think it is common knowledge next year is going to be another year of rebuilding so the new coach has to be willing to do it for the long haul.
That's what they've done, no one is trying to convince or expecting Travis to come back and coach if that's what you were thinking those around the program were thinking. Or maybe they find someone near pike county but no real connections to it.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:23 pm
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:24 pm Robertson had a nice run during his time at Waverly. He coached a number of Division - I athletes during his time at Waverly which definitely helps with establishing a good program. I believe he won 2 or 3 SOC Championships, a couple District Championships and a Regional Championship. I believe he is helping at Paint Valley where his younger son is playing and his older son had a great freshmen year at Rio Grande. I can't see him being interested in coming back as a head coach right now.

That's what they've done, no one is trying to convince or expecting Travis to come back and coach if that's what you were thinking those around the program were thinking. Or maybe they find someone near pike county but no real connections to it.
Responding to ItsMyOpinion, they are looking for someone who will be willing to make a long-term commitment.
My previous quote: I know they are reviewing applicants but will be looking for someone who can make a longterm commitment.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

smurray wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:21 pm
Tigernation2021 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:23 pm

Responding to ItsMyOpinion, they are looking for someone who will be willing to make a long-term commitment.
My previous quote: I know they are reviewing applicants but will be looking for someone who can make a longterm commitment.
Sounds like it could be sooner rather than later. They’re reaching out to a certain guy and they’ve got another coach who seems to have a good resume from up north, like north north.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

How far north? Are they originally from this area? Willing to relocate?

Closeouts23
Waterboy

Post by Closeouts23 »

Not sure where Tigernation gets his info? Must have the phones bugged?? I’m hearing a big name is coming in! This person is not from up north. Waverly would be right back at the top if this happens.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Where are you getting your info? Big name huh? What big names are even out there? Give us a name, we are all on the edge of our seats.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I have the list. Its some guy named James from Akron. Said he’s retiring from the NBA this summer.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

HAHA love it. He bringing his younger son too? He would be a huge help.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

smurray wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:28 am I have the list. Its some guy named James from Akron. Said he’s retiring from the NBA this summer.
:lol: :lol: :lol: love it

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Whoever gets the job needs to be given more support and more patience than the last coach got. I know they have a really good group coming, but that’ll still be a few years until they make a major impact on the varsity, so the new coach should be given time to prepare for that group and have a culture in place by then

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:38 am Whoever gets the job needs to be given more support and more patience than the last coach got. I know they have a really good group coming, but that’ll still be a few years until they make a major impact on the varsity, so the new coach should be given time to prepare for that group and have a culture in place by then
Evan had full support of the Administration. His was a complex situation, not be hashed out on social media platforms, and he chose a different path. Great for him and we at Waverly wish him the absolute best.

Return to “Boys Basketball”