Waverly Basketball - Head Coach

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Re: Waverly Basketball - Head Coach

Post by NewEra »

Another vote for Horton here, I think he deserves another opportunity, he did a good job at Valley.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

smurray wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:46 pm
bobcats94 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:11 pm I'm hearing Horton from Valley may be next man up, I've also heard Miller from Piketon was a target which makes sense as Waverly needs a good guy to develop young kids coming up and would put a lot of time in. He may want to stay on the other side of the Scioto though... Williams is out from Western, Fitch is not interested, Norm is at Webster, Barrick is happily retired, all of the SOC 2 coaches are staying where they're at. Waverly is running out of top tier candidates....
Miller was an early target and may have entertained it for a day or 2 but declined, never applied.
Horton is indeed in the mix as top tier candidates fall by the wayside. I'd say he may be in the top 3 of the remaining candidates who have applied. Can't say that to 100% certainty.

I would say there's much more to picking the right HC than just that one person - assistants are very important and that is being heavily weighed as well.
Think any of the current assistants will stay on with a new coach? Or are any of them even wanted? I know the new coach will have a say in assistants, just wasn't sure all would be asked back.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

transplant wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:33 am
bobcats94 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:11 pm I'm hearing Horton from Valley may be next man up, I've also heard Miller from Piketon was a target which makes sense as Waverly needs a good guy to develop young kids coming up and would put a lot of time in. He may want to stay on the other side of the Scioto though... Williams is out from Western, Fitch is not interested, Norm is at Webster, Barrick is happily retired, all of the SOC 2 coaches are staying where they're at. Waverly is running out of top tier candidates....
Miller was an early target and may have entertained it for a day or 2 but declined, never applied.
Horton is indeed in the mix as top tier candidates fall by the wayside. I'd say he may be in the top 3 of the remaining candidates who have applied. Can't say that to 100% certainty.

I would say there's much more to picking the right HC than just that one person - assistants are very important and that is being heavily weighed as well.
Think any of the current assistants will stay on with a new coach? Or are any of them even wanted? I know the new coach will have a say in assistants, just wasn't sure all would be asked back.
There's 1 or 2, JV coaches they would have interest in retaining that's it. Look for the new coach to have control of the assistants he wants.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

NewEra wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:27 am Another vote for Horton here, I think he deserves another opportunity, he did a good job at Valley.
I thought Horton done a nice job at Valley as well, would be a solid hire if that's the direction we decide to go.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:37 am
transplant wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:33 am

There's 1 or 2, JV coaches they would have interest in retaining that's it. Look for the new coach to have control of the assistants he wants.
Gotcha, thanks. Yeah i figured whoever they decide on will have their say.

Sportsfan007
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan007 »

NewEra wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:27 am Another vote for Horton here, I think he deserves another opportunity, he did a good job at Valley.
I completely agree with this.

Sportsfan007
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan007 »

A head coach should be able to pick his assistants. Some coaches may keep a coach on staff due to familiarity with the kids but that also depends on the relationship that coach had/has with the kids.

GoBuck1993
Waterboy

Post by GoBuck1993 »

Heard there was an interview from someone out of town middle of the week last week. I am assuming none of the Columbus coaches are coming to Waverly, as there are a ton of good positions open up there.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

GoBuck1993 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:15 pm Heard there was an interview from someone out of town middle of the week last week. I am assuming none of the Columbus coaches are coming to Waverly, as there are a ton of good positions open up there.
Yes, it was a very good interview…

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Can we get a name?

Sportsfan007
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan007 »

Very interesting. I could see not giving a name incase this coach is at another school and weighing his options.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

transplant wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:49 pm Can we get a name?
Not yet….

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

smurray wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:26 pm
Not yet….
So its ok to mention Williams, Miller, Arey when they are coaches at other schools currently but not ok to mention this new candidate? hmm

Sportsfan007
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan007 »

Yeah i agree with that. I think a coach with a current position, their name should not be mentioned.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Seopnation wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:44 pm
smurray wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:26 pm
Not yet….
So its ok to mention Williams, Miller, Arey when they are coaches at other schools currently but not ok to mention this new candidate? hmm
100% agree it's one of the reasons I have stayed away from naming any names that I've heard mentioned as candidates or even possibly looking at them. Keeping in mind though couple of those guys you mentioned were pure speculation by most, nothing that had any substance. Even with Arey I don't believe there was ever a interview more of an inquiry.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I haven’t been on here for the past couple days and there is still a lot of speculation with this position. There has been a lot of names mentioned but there doesn’t seem to be much interest from those people.

For me they might have to target somebody that values Waverly as something special. I think the other Pike Co. basketball coaches have ties to Pike Co. Miller at Piketon - I believe is a graduate. The new coach at Eastern I believe is a graduate. I think Williams is somehow related to Western’s legendary Coach Thompson. I’m not sure there is anybody out there like that but that might be the route to go. Of course that is “Just My Opinion”!

Seneca
Riding the Bench

Post by Seneca »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:55 pm I haven’t been on here for the past couple days and there is still a lot of speculation with this position. There has been a lot of names mentioned but there doesn’t seem to be much interest from those people.

For me they might have to target somebody that values Waverly as something special. I think the other Pike Co. basketball coaches have ties to Pike Co. Miller at Piketon - I believe is a graduate. The new coach at Eastern I believe is a graduate. I think Williams is somehow related to Western’s legendary Coach Thompson. I’m not sure there is anybody out there like that but that might be the route to go. Of course that is “Just My Opinion”!
Doug is Coach Thompson's grandson and Denny and Bob Thompson's great nephew.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:55 pm I haven’t been on here for the past couple days and there is still a lot of speculation with this position. There has been a lot of names mentioned but there doesn’t seem to be much interest from those people.

Takes the right kind of guy to come along and pull of what you're talking about, coach at Eastern is a graduate and obviously very close family ties that position was being held for him, then moment Barrick left and everyone knew already knew who they were hiring in the end long term. However, they had to wait on him to finish up schooling and it's why Eastern simply filled the position with a figure head until he was ready. Miller is from Piketon and played over seas coached under Travis for awhile and had the Piketon position not opened up before Travis left good chance he would've taken over for Travis. However, that position opened up he had some coaching experience and off he went. Doug Williams didn't go straight to Western and I'm thinking he played at Eastern and then finished up at Piketon, he was coaching down towards Georgetown or somewhere in that area before the Western position opened up. So the circumstances fell just right for those coaches and the ability to come back home, outside of Leist because they were keeping the seat warm. I just don't know that there's any other Waverly alum or pike county guys out there coaching that as you might want to say would like to come home.

Waverlyfan2023
Waterboy

Post by Waverlyfan2023 »

Any news yet

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Post by soggybottomtopper »

Just reading the comments, I am really surprised this job hasn't been filled. Has to be one of the top jobs in the area with facilities and community. Never imagined it would be vacant at this point. Will be interesting to see who grabs this position. Every time I walk into that gym it feels like a tournament game because of all of the post season games attended. Best of luck Waverly!

Return to “Boys Basketball”