Waverly Basketball - Head Coach

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Waverly Basketball - Head Coach

Post by greygoose »

Sounds like Waverly is getting closer and closer to getting their guy from the looks of things on here. It'll be interesting to see if whoever takes over can turn things around and get all the players to buy in. Coming off a tough season like they just had that's rough on a player mentally to get right back in the gym for a new coach.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Great run. It’ll be tough like most jobs. Make the right decision and Run with it. Going to be a process !

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

smurray wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:28 am I have the list. Its some guy named James from Akron. Said he’s retiring from the NBA this summer.
Nah, he's the future he wants to play with his boy in the NBA for at least a year before he makes that move. He is on the coach in waiting list though :lol:

Tigernation2021
Varsity

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:38 am Whoever gets the job needs to be given more support and more patience than the last coach got. I know they have a really good group coming, but that’ll still be a few years until they make a major impact on the varsity, so the new coach should be given time to prepare for that group and have a culture in place by then
More support and more patience?? Not sure what you're talking about as the one poster put it coach Callihan left on his own, he simply didn't like the extra time being taken away with the drive. So it was nothing more than him making the decision, no one was getting rid of him or trying to. He's a stand-up guy and was liked by just about everyone in the school system and the students love him. He's finishing out the year teaching and then heading back to Circleville, nothing more nothing less. Wish him nothing but the best of luck

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:20 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:38 am Whoever gets the job needs to be given more support and more patience than the last coach got. I know they have a really good group coming, but that’ll still be a few years until they make a major impact on the varsity, so the new coach should be given time to prepare for that group and have a culture in place by then
More support and more patience?? Not sure what you're talking about as the one poster put it coach Callihan left on his own, he simply didn't like the extra time being taken away with the drive. So it was nothing more than him making the decision, no one was getting rid of him or trying to. He's a stand-up guy and was liked by just about everyone in the school system and the students love him. He's finishing out the year teaching and then heading back to Circleville, nothing more nothing less. Wish him nothing but the best of luck
FACT

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

It was towards the people on here. But, I forgot that literally nothing but positivity ever comes from the Waverly community.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:47 pm It was towards the people on here. But, I forgot that literally nothing but positivity ever comes from the Waverly community.
Thought you meant the Administration. Totally agree about comments on here....

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

It will be interesting to see who Waverly goes with or can draw in to take this job. I think there are a few local coaches names who will come up in discussion first being Doug Williams and then probably Kyle Miller, maybe even Kyle Bradley from Huntington. I don’t think any of these three would be interested so that leaves some ex coaches like a PJ Fitch who knows maybe even Barrick takes it and coaches his old rival school :lol: I highly doubt they give anyone on the staff this year a chance but you never know. Ward has been on several different staffs and has some experience. The jv coach also was at Huntington for several years and has experience. Waverly hasn’t drawn in big names like you would think given the facilities, number of kids, etc. I’m just throwing some names out that came to mind for me, I haven’t heard anyone is a front runner or even who all has applied/interested. I would like to see them get someone who is a long term fit to coach this jr high group all the way through. I really think they good be a tough group if everyone stays and continues to develop

Waverlyfan2023
Waterboy

Post by Waverlyfan2023 »

Heard they contacted the piketon head coach he use to be a assistant at waverly under Robertson plus he is well known and very liked I would actually like that hire@smurray

Ovenmit
Riding the Bench

Post by Ovenmit »

Fitch would be a great choice if he wants the job. He should have never been let go at Ironton. That was all about politics and having a basketball coach that wouldn't rock the football boat. The current coach at Ironton now won't do any rocking. He'll do what he's told

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverlyfan2023 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:49 am Heard they contacted the piketon head coach he use to be a assistant at waverly under Robertson plus he is well known and very liked I would actually like that hire@smurray
Yes, he was contacted….

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ovenmit wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:10 am Fitch would be a great choice if he wants the job. He should have never been let go at Ironton. That was all about politics and having a basketball coach that wouldn't rock the football boat. The current coach at Ironton now won't do any rocking. He'll do what he's told
I have not heard his name mentioned.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Ovenmit wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:10 am Fitch would be a great choice if he wants the job. He should have never been let go at Ironton. That was all about politics and having a basketball coach that wouldn't rock the football boat. The current coach at Ironton now won't do any rocking. He'll do what he's told
Yeah I wondered what the deal was with that one, I think Fitch's name comes up quite a bit when there's a local job available. However, I think he's helping out at Unioto now seems content at the moment, not an option.

sportsbuzz
Waterboy

Post by sportsbuzz »

any assistants from this past season interested

ShooterFlatch
Waterboy

Post by ShooterFlatch »

Norman Dale

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Post by soggybottomtopper »

I have always considered Waverly one of the Meccas of high school hoops in southern Ohio. In terms of location, the downtown gym and the pride of Tiger nation. After the run they just had and all other things considered, it is shocking to me that more have not came after this job.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I'm a SVC guy at heart but I enjoy following Pike County basketball and the SOC in general. Even thou Waverly had a memoriable season in '21-'22, I wouldn't consider it one of the best jobs in southern Ohio. I think prior to Robertson's tenure as coach, Waverly went through a number of coaches in a short period of time. Even during Robertson's tenure there were ups and downs. Of course the Regional Championship was an unbelieveable accomplishment but I think there was only one other district championship and maybe 2 or 3 league championships.

They are a Division II school playing in a Division III league so that makes it a little tougher for them at tournament time. I think that scares some good coaches off. Plus they are in a down cycle compared to the talent they have had the past 12-15 years. I will agree that their facilities and community pride are outstanding. Hopefully they can find somebody young that will work on rebuilding the program.

Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Post by Almost Champions »

Hear me out on this. You guys need to reach out to and bring back Carl Wolfe. He is a hall of famer with over 500 wins. He was there before and knows the culture. He was probably the last coach at Waverly that did it the right way. Plus it could be time for him to get the band back together. Maybe he could get Howie to leave Trimble and come along as his top assistant. You guys would have the best staff in the state.

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!
Tom Smyth
Waterboy

Post by Tom Smyth »

^^^ Carl Wolfe is the name I keep hearing. Is he even still alive? With that duo the football program would surely suffer but Waverly has always been a basketball school so no one would care I doubt.

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

If this happens you may as well cancel football and beef up your soccer and cross country programs.

Run the FB Belly and cram it up ther poop shoot!

Return to “Boys Basketball”