Waverly Basketball - Head Coach

E High
All State

Re: Waverly Basketball - Head Coach

Post by E High »

Waverly has had a great run. It’s hard to sustain that. Many, many schools go through this. Most in today’s world have a hard time continuing this for years. Too many coaching turnovers, too much lack of participation, unless you can have a coach and program for 15+ years, it’s hard, really hard to be really good !

Safety.50!
Waterboy

Post by Safety.50! »

My point exactly, Waverly interviewed several coaches ," No one wanted the Job" that's why Bradly got it. Lets see how long he last when he starts bringing in kids from other schools taking the playing time away from Waverly kids.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Safety.50! wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:02 am My point exactly, Waverly interviewed several coaches ," No one wanted the Job" that's why Bradly got it. Lets see how long he last when he starts bringing in kids from other schools taking the playing time away from Waverly kids.
Don’t condone recruiting, but if kids move to Waverly because they want to play for Bradley and they are good enough to contribute at the Varsity level I don’t think many complaints will come… they were begging kids to play this past season and many did not who have previously always played and they would have gotten significant varsity time. Not sure those kids who didn’t play last year will ever play again, but we will see. So I would say any competition from new players would be welcomed by the majority crowd.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I think we should move forward and let things fall where they may. I believe in giving a coach a chance before we make a decision about his work. Yes ... there are some questions about his work in the past but that is it .... "In the past". As I said in a earlier post, I don't think this is a long term hire but I've been wrong before. I would like to see Waverly turn things around but the top tier of the SOC will be pretty good the next few years.

I think the real eye opener is that Waverly is not the job many people think it is. They have great facilities and good community support but Waverly is not a highly sought after job. I'm not sure kids will be transferring into Waverly just to play basketball. Waverly is a Division-II school while there are good Division-III and Division-IV school in close proximity to Waverly. I would think if kids wanted to transfer they would transfer to D-III and D-IV schools. But let's wait and see how things play out. I hope things get better for the kids at Waverly.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Waverly is not a sought after job playing D2 Basketball and D4 Football.

There is a reason Robertson left. Basically last year’s graduation class kept the program afloat for 4 seasons with excitement and production in both sports. Expectations are too high for the talent in the program and level of competition in the league. Good coaches aren’t gonna touch that, unless you have 1 or 2 potential ringers living under your own roof like Robertson did.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

I agree with you. The class that went to the final four really made the basketball job a job to have, now it's not a boom job. Being D2 and playing in the SOC is not a good combination unless you have a good non conference schedule to prepare you for the tournament. Waverly should have a lot more SOC titles in basketball than what they should have IMO and with that being said that's why I think this job is average as of now.

Seneca
Riding the Bench

Post by Seneca »

Hoopster98 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:54 am I agree with you. The class that went to the final four really made the basketball job a job to have, now it's not a boom job. Being D2 and playing in the SOC is not a good combination unless you have a good non conference schedule to prepare you for the tournament. Waverly should have a lot more SOC titles in basketball than what they should have IMO and with that being said that's why I think this job is average as of now.
I have to agree. If you go back to 1989, Waverly has 5 S.O.C titles in 34 years (89,91,92,07,22). Two separate 15-year spans without a conference title.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Wow!! Those numbers even surprise me and I’m a long time south central Ohio basketball fan. Waverly has 2 SOC championships in the last 30 years. Combine that with being a Div-II team come tournament time, I think that explains the lack of interest from established coaches.

With the talent in the league the next few years I don’t see things turning around in the near future for the Tigers.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Norm to SW
Lisath to Ports

Barrick was going to be varsity assistant and run youth program at Waverly if they hired Coach Ward.

Is it basketball season yet?

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

AnkleBraces wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:33 pm Norm to SW
Lisath to Ports

Barrick was going to be varsity assistant and run youth program at Waverly if they hired Coach Ward.

That is very interesting, I didn't realize Barrick and Ward were that close but it makes sense them coaching together at Eastern for 4-5 years. I'm curious why Ward wasn't a top candidate with the experience he has had. I thought he would've been coaching at Eastern honestly speaking he was there with Fitch and Barrick. It makes me wonder if a coach is an assistant too long if schools are nervous that there must be a reason he isn't a head coach and don't want to hire them. I understand not everyone can be a head coach and some people are more suited to be an assistant but I don't believe that someone who has been assistant for years should always be looked at as an assistant and not a good candidate to be a head coach. There is A LOT of behind the scenes game planning, lineup discussion, and strategy that goes on between an assistant and the head coach. Locally(Pike/Scioto) I haven't seen many assistants promoted instead they hire an outsider which either keeps the old staff or replaces the entire staff with his own. In many circumstances it may be that an assistant isn't all that well liked, etc.. but I have talked to several people that will say "so and so is a good assistant but just not cut out to be a head coach" when they haven't been given the opportunity to fail. This could be the case here.

Closeouts23
Waterboy

Post by Closeouts23 »

Lisath to Ports

I can confirm this! Heard the same thing a few weeks ago. Him and Barrick have been pretty close since Eastern.
Ward would have definitely been a long term hire for Waverly. Graduated from Waverly, kids go to waverly and lives in the district. Only thing I can think of is Waverly just hired a head coach with no varsity experience and did not work out. Probably the reason Ward was bringing Barrick along. Hopefully Waverly is not in the same situation a couple years from now. But I have my doubts.

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

alot of people on here before talking about how kids didnt play due to previous coaching staff, specifically assistants. Maybe that had something to do with it? no idea just putting 2x2 together

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Closeouts23 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:56 am
Lisath to Ports

I can confirm this! Heard the same thing a few weeks ago. Him and Barrick have been pretty close since Eastern.
Ward would have definitely been a long term hire for Waverly. Graduated from Waverly, kids go to waverly and lives in the district. Only thing I can think of is Waverly just hired a head coach with no varsity experience and did not work out. Probably the reason Ward was bringing Barrick along. Hopefully Waverly is not in the same situation a couple years from now. But I have my doubts.
Yes, Barrick and Ward have been close since the days at Eastern and Barrick even came to some Waverly practices this past season. However, Eastern didn’t consider Ward a varsity coach and Waverly was wanting someone more established and weren’t exactly thrilled with what they got from the coaches on the bench. I don’t believe he was even being brought back period let alone considered for HC position. Doesn’t matter now Bradley is the coach time for all the speculation of who and why is over. Sounds like a lot of baggage in Bradley’s past on coaching style and we’ll see how his style matches up with the players who decide to come out.

2quick2catch
Freshman Team

Post by 2quick2catch »

It's amazing how much kids and the game has changed the past 10-15 years.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Already improving the roster. New faces will be roaming the halls at Waverly tomorrow...

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

transplant wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:11 pm Already improving the roster. New faces will be roaming the halls at Waverly tomorrow...
Do they come in pairs?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

N2Hoops wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:18 pm
transplant wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:11 pm Already improving the roster. New faces will be roaming the halls at Waverly tomorrow...
Do they come in pairs?
They do...

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

transplant wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:20 pm
N2Hoops wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:18 pm
Do they come in pairs?
They do...
Those two do…

Safety.50!
Waterboy

Post by Safety.50! »

Wish they would have went a little more south to Piketon, anyways Its sad that a Coach has to bring players with him to win?

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Safety.50! wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:53 pm Wish they would have went a little more south to Piketon, anyways Its sad that a Coach has to bring players with him to win?
So you wished they would've went further south to Piketon but then say it's sad that a coach has to bring in players to win?? So if they had went to Piketon instead then it was ok?? Totally understand :roll: . Typically the way it works when coaches switch around some players will follow doesn't equal to winning when being discussed in April.

Return to “Boys Basketball”