Logan Elm - Coach Stiverson Steps Down

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Logan Elm - Coach Stiverson Steps Down

Post by danicalifornia »

After 24 years and a 373-179 record, with 5 district titles and the 2009 regional crown, Coach Doug Stiverson has stepped down at Logan Elm

A fantastic run for Coach Stiverson!

https://sportingpumpkin.com/2023/03/24/ ... he-braves/

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Logan Elm - Coach Stiverson Steps Down

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:14 pm After 24 years and a 373-179 record, with 5 district titles and the 2009 regional crown, Coach Doug Stiverson has stepped down at Logan Elm

A fantastic run for Coach Stiverson!
... Coach Stiverson was/is one of the best coaches in Ohio ... he has left his mark as the head man at LE and on high school hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... It's been a pleasure to watch how basketball SHOULD be played ... I could always count on outstanding Defense - motion offense - fundamentals ... so many outstanding players Coach Stiverson coached/taught/mentored in his tenure at Logan Elm ... I wish him nothing but the best - thanks Coach Stiverson ...

SG REBEL

Post by SG REBEL »

Good. Love the smell of fresh blood!

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Great coach. People don't understand how much energy it takes to run a program correctly.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Bozo wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:56 pm Great coach. People don't understand how much energy it takes to run a program correctly.
Bozo, you said it best - Coach Stiverson/Coach Holbert/Coach Dropsey created/ran an outstanding "program" ... success is the benchmark of any program ... LE had it - success - Coach Stiverson's "program" is one that I personally use as a barometer to compare ALL programs in SE Ohio ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Man…,what a great basketball career. Tremendous Coach and ran an outstanding program. When I was a young kid watching some kid to late 80’s basketball I remember him coming to Jackson while playing at Logan and just taking it to us.

Best wishes on his post basketball coaching

Calvin
Freshman Team

Post by Calvin »

pfloyd wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:06 pm
Bozo wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:56 pm Great coach. People don't understand how much energy it takes to run a program correctly.
Bozo, you said it best - Coach Stiverson/Coach Holbert/Coach Dropsey created/ran an outstanding "program" ... success is the benchmark of any program ... LE had it - success - Coach Stiverson's "program" is one that I personally use as a barometer to compare ALL programs in SE Ohio ...
Has to sting a little to have your assistant coach mentioned every time someone talks about your program. Probably makes him wonder if people give him enough credit. Might be why he decided to step down. When people talk about Maddox, Norm, Howdy, Combs and their teams they never mention the assistant coach. But every time they talk about LE the assistant is mentioned. Will Holbert take over?

Celebrating wins over the most hated.
bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Calvin wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:19 pm
Has to sting a little to have your assistant coach mentioned every time someone talks about your program. Probably makes him wonder if people give him enough credit. Might be why he decided to step down. When people talk about Maddox, Norm, Howdy, Combs and their teams they never mention the assistant coach. But every time they talk about LE the assistant is mentioned. Will Holbert take over?
And Coach Stiverson sings the praises of Coach Holbert more than anyone on here. They played together at Capital, live next to each other and are best friends. Both are amazing people and, speaking as a Logan Elm alum, we are prouder of the way they coach and the young men they develop than we are of the success we've had on the court, and Coach Stiverson's record speaks for itself.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 pm

And Coach Stiverson sings the praises of Coach Holbert more than anyone on here. They played together at Capital, live next to each other and are best friends. Both are amazing people and, speaking as a Logan Elm alum, we are prouder of the way they coach and the young men they develop than we are of the success we've had on the court, and Coach Stiverson's record speaks for itself.
Bingo. If Calvin would have just read your article that I posted, they would understand that Stiverson valued his outstanding assistants.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:20 pm

Bingo. If Calvin would have just read your article that I posted, they would understand that Stiverson valued his outstanding assistants.
... excellent article too bman ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

pfloyd wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:38 pm

... excellent article too bman ...
Thank you, pfloyd. I have an even better one coming this weekend.

Calvin
Freshman Team

Post by Calvin »

Hey it’s great that the HC values his assistant coaches and credits them for part of the success of the team. Most of them do. But it’s odd that everyone else mentions them every time they talk about the team/program. As I pointed out, that’s not the case when discussing other great coaches and their programs. I noticed none of you have disputed that.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Congrats coach on your retirement, quite a career. A lot of playoff battles with us throughout the years, I'll never forget that 2010 district final.

Go Blue
Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

Holbert and Stivers ran a great program. Enjoy your retirement fellas.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Calvin wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:42 am

Hey it’s great that the HC values his assistant coaches and credits them for part of the success of the team. Most of them do. But it’s odd that everyone else mentions them every time they talk about the team/program. As I pointed out, that’s not the case when discussing other great coaches and their programs. I noticed none of you have disputed that.
Pfloyd mentions the assistant coaches every time he talks about Warren Local.

Doubt any head coaches worth a darn care that their assistants get mentioned after they do.

Calvin
Freshman Team

Post by Calvin »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:21 pm
Calvin wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:42 am

Pfloyd mentions the assistant coaches every time he talks about Warren Local.

Doubt any head coaches worth a darn care that their assistants get mentioned after they do.
The only assistant coach’s name I know for any team is Logan Elm’s. And that’s because his name is mentioned every time the team is mentioned. Who’s Howdy’s assistant? Anyone?

The Little General
Riding the Bench

Post by The Little General »

The way I hear it, Holbert already runs that show.

Calvin
Freshman Team

Post by Calvin »

The Little General wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:19 pm

The way I hear it, Holbert already runs that show.
Based on the fact that his name is mentioned every time the team is I’d say you are probably right about that. So as long as he doesn’t retire they shouldn’t miss a beat.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Former players reflect on Stiverson's legacy
https://sportingpumpkin.com/2023/03/25/ ... ns-legacy/

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bman wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:56 pm Former players reflect on Stiverson's legacy
https://sportingpumpkin.com/2023/03/25/ ... ns-legacy/
… great read bman … everything that former players brought up about Coach Stiverson, the program - defense, fundamentals, out working their opponents, better prepared etc … as a fan of the LE program - I could see all of it even from the cheap seats over the years … thanks for the articles bman - we’ll done …

Return to “Boys Basketball”