Waterboy

Re: Advantages of 2-3 Zone vs Man

Post by wvtooh »

Depends on roster.

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Post by soggybottomtopper »

I have always thought that a zone was meant to: A. try to keep people out of the paint. Especially if a team struggled to shoot the basketball or the defensive team struggled to stay in front of the basketball. B. in the case of a big man, it allowed for positioned help without needing to rely on a player to be in help as in man. C. give a poor passing team troubles. if you struggle to pass the basketball, you will struggle against a zone. d. give a different look to players and even a coach. Sometimes players or a coach struggle with how a zone should be attacked. I have always thought that teams that could apply a "shifting" zone, where you show zone and then match up in man at a trigger point in the possession, was a difficult thing for teams to adjust to. With all this said, zone or man, if you cannot pressure the basketball and your guys aren't connected, you are not playing good defense.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Big disadvantage to playing zone is teams tend to struggle rebounding out of it. But nobody can shoot anymore so a good zone can be effective

E High
All State

Post by E High »

A match up zone played the right way is 80% man and 20% zone. Very effective.

Snowflake
Freshman Team

Post by Snowflake »

I think what you are going to start seeing is the tranzone defense. It’s kind of like a man defense that identifies as a zone. It’s really progressive so the younger generation of coaches will be more apt to use it than the ancient ate up porch screamers like Norm and Howie. But it will catch on. The defense of the future and those coaches who don’t want to be on the wrong side of history will adopt it.

Ho Lee Fuk
Waterboy

Post by Ho Lee Fuk »

Snowflake wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:57 pm I think what you are going to start seeing is the tranzone defense. It’s kind of like a man defense that identifies as a zone. It’s really progressive so the younger generation of coaches will be more apt to use it than the ancient ate up porch screamers like Norm and Howie. But it will catch on. The defense of the future and those coaches who don’t want to be on the wrong side of history will adopt it.
A defense that is one thing but acts like another is a great idea. Matches the direction of the country.

Me love you longtime!
Snowflake
Freshman Team

Post by Snowflake »

Ho Lee Fuk wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:11 am
Snowflake wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:57 pm I think what you are going to start seeing is the tranzone defense. It’s kind of like a man defense that identifies as a zone. It’s really progressive so the younger generation of coaches will be more apt to use it than the ancient ate up porch screamers like Norm and Howie. But it will catch on. The defense of the future and those coaches who don’t want to be on the wrong side of history will adopt it.
A defense that is one thing but acts like another is a great idea. Matches the direction of the country.
Huh

Return to “Boys Basketball”