Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Coach

Prime Time
All State

Re: Jeff Lisath Set to Be Next Portsmouth Trojans Head Coach

Post by Prime Time »

Controlled Relaxation! TrojanDave remember that saying! Portsmouth Trojans.vs Cleveland Cathderal Catholic!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Prime Time: 1925, 1926, 1927, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1939, 1941, 1961, 1978, 1980, 1988, 1990, 2011, 2012.......15 appearances all time with a very good record of 16-11 in state tournament play. 8-1 in the last 9 state semifinal games. PHS is 4th all time in state tournament appearances out of 800 high schools. 64 sectional titles, 37 district titles, 15 regional titles.

I'm quite sure that Jeff wants to add to that list.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

trivia for TrojanDave, Hamilton Big Blue,Middletown Middies, Springfield South Wildcats, Lima Senior, Portsmouth Trojans. GOL ( Greater Ohio League). what years TrojanDave! Remember Paul Walker bringing the Middies to Portsmouth, can youremember what they did after player introductions and right before tipoff! Can you remember who the great Herb Williams (NBA) who came to Portsmouth and played for a team in High School against the Trojans… Lancaster Golden Gales came to Portsmouth and had a great guard and went on to be a great quarterback for Ohio State! Grant School was home to the Portsmouth Trojans and Grants floor reminded people of what NBA team floor!Who was Coach George Hellers varsity assistant in 1967!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

1980 still haunts us....

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

That one got away on a missed layup with seconds remaining that would been another State Championship for Portsmouth. Am I right!

SEO Sports
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO Sports »

Always hard to replace someone like Coach Collins and what he has meant and means to the community, but this hire is amazing for the Trojan community.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Prime Time: The Middies would lie on the floor just before they took the court. Herb Williams played for Marion-Franklin. Rex Kern played for Lancaster. Grant's floor was very similar to the old Boston Garden. I believe Harry Weinbrecht was Heller's assistant in 1967.

The GOL changed membership from time to time (Chillicothe and Mansfield were in for a short time), but for the most part the GOL existed for about 30 years, from the mid 40's to the mid 70's. The league disbanded with Portsmouth, Lima, and Springfield South as the last members.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

smurray: I remember that game at the Convo. It was the Class AA regional final and Portsmouth won 49-48. Waverly had beaten the Trojans in the regular season 62-50 at Waverly. Gabby Smith was the coach and one of the star players on that Tiger team was Onno Steger. Waverly had beaten undefeated Dresden Tri-Valley (23-0) in the regional semifinal.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Prime Time: The 1980 state championship game was a heartbreaker for sure. We had a 1 point lead with 30 seconds to play, missed a wide open layup that would have given us a 3 point lead (no 3 point shot in those days). Hamilton Ross came down and was fouled with 7 seconds to play, made both FT's, and won 45-44.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Correct on all, but Mike Hughes( current Portsmouth girls assistant Coach) was Coach Hellers assistant in 1967. Could of been one of first years Coaching for Coach Mike Hughes. He would have Coached great Walt Mannon, Charles Taylor,Tony Booker, Billy White, Bob Gilpin, BG Noel. I believe also the All American tackle from Portsmouth that played tackle for Ohio State Shad Williams was on team or JV also. Middies would lie in a circle on floor , it was something to see

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

TrojanDave, witnessed many Trojan games at Grant School, Hamilton Big Blue had some awesome teams back in the day. Middletown Middies with Jerry Lucas was awesome. Lima, Springfield always had talented , big , strong teams.Grant was the sectional tournament site for many years also.

MeanJoeGreene
Riding the Bench

Post by MeanJoeGreene »

Great to see Portsmouth get the right guy. No matter who is on the floor, I know there are some weaker classes coming in, Lisath will have them being very competitive. Also interesting to see if this will attract more kids into the program. The future is bright!

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Hopefully this hire has the Trojans "moving" in the right direction

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

First and foremost I would like to thank everyone for the phone calls, texts, emails, and social media posts about my accepting the position of Head Boys Basketball Coach at Portsmouth High School. A special thanks to my wife Debra and my family who have sacrificed so much yet have been my biggest cheerleaders, supporters, grandstand coaches, and most importantly for allowing me to do what I’m passionate about no matter what or where I have coached the past 30 years. My family demonstrated the true meaning of perseverance as I’ve worked late hours, had late practices and games, and I struggled to get to my own kids' activities. I watched my wife wear several different hats while juggling schedules to make everything work. We have so many great memories from Unioto connecting with families, Chillicothe Girls where Deb was my assistant coach, our incredible Final-Four run at Piketon, and seeing their faces in the crowd during our Elite Eight run at Northridge. Having my family in the stands cheering us on made it all very special times in my coaching career.

Coaching High school basketball is a calling…God has allowed me to use this game as a platform for ministry and to make a positive impact on the lives I touch.
Kids are so much different today than during the time when I grew up…they have so many distractions and things at their fingertips and are certainly more relational than ever. So I embrace them with love and patience yet demand mutual respect as I try to build a solid relationship with every single kid I coach. Trust me, kids will challenge you daily…perseverance is the key.

I loved coaching at Northridge, the kids were fantastic and we did something that hadn’t been done in over 75 years in school history, by winning three straight league titles, and two district titles and making it to the Elite Eight. It's been a great 10 years, and so many great lifetime relationships have been built. I had probably the most talented group of kids coming back the next year, so the decision to come back home wasn’t an easy one, but the right one according to God’s will and purpose in my life.

Portsmouth High School Boys Basketball Alumni I’m calling you out!!! Our prestigious Club starts now…I need to see you or hear from you…I need your help to build this program from the bottom up. I have a lot of ideas…starting with bringing “Bantam League” and the “Lisath Summer League” back, but there’s so much more work to be done. I have the blueprint for a mentorship program we are starting at Northridge that will put at least three mentors in the lives of our student-athletes. “It takes a village” and as a Trojan Alumni when I speak about “Stakeholders” I’m definitely speaking to everyone who has worn a Portsmouth Trojan jersey first…without your support, the program will never grow.

I have personally witnessed Sports being the Unifying Factor in a community. I’m asking you today in prayer to embrace the Portsmouth City School District and help us instill a deeper sense of pride in the community and that God will allow it to be a beacon of light that dispels any darkness around us. I pray that whatever is accomplished in our efforts, God will get the glory!
Tomorrow it begins!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Jeff Lisath wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:06 pm First and foremost I would like to thank everyone for the phone calls, texts, emails, and social media posts about my accepting the position of Head Boys Basketball Coach at Portsmouth High School. A special thanks to my wife Debra and my family who have sacrificed so much yet have been my biggest cheerleaders, supporters, grandstand coaches, and most importantly for allowing me to do what I’m passionate about no matter what or where I have coached the past 30 years. My family demonstrated the true meaning of perseverance as I’ve worked late hours, had late practices and games, and I struggled to get to my own kids' activities. I watched my wife wear several different hats while juggling schedules to make everything work. We have so many great memories from Unioto connecting with families, Chillicothe Girls where Deb was my assistant coach, our incredible Final-Four run at Piketon, and seeing their faces in the crowd during our Elite Eight run at Northridge. Having my family in the stands cheering us on made it all very special times in my coaching career.

Coaching High school basketball is a calling…God has allowed me to use this game as a platform for ministry and to make a positive impact on the lives I touch.
Kids are so much different today than during the time when I grew up…they have so many distractions and things at their fingertips and are certainly more relational than ever. So I embrace them with love and patience yet demand mutual respect as I try to build a solid relationship with every single kid I coach. Trust me, kids will challenge you daily…perseverance is the key.

I loved coaching at Northridge, the kids were fantastic and we did something that hadn’t been done in over 75 years in school history, by winning three straight league titles, and two district titles and making it to the Elite Eight. It's been a great 10 years, and so many great lifetime relationships have been built. I had probably the most talented group of kids coming back the next year, so the decision to come back home wasn’t an easy one, but the right one according to God’s will and purpose in my life.

Portsmouth High School Boys Basketball Alumni I’m calling you out!!! Our prestigious Club starts now…I need to see you or hear from you…I need your help to build this program from the bottom up. I have a lot of ideas…starting with bringing “Bantam League” and the “Lisath Summer League” back, but there’s so much more work to be done. I have the blueprint for a mentorship program we are starting at Northridge that will put at least three mentors in the lives of our student-athletes. “It takes a village” and as a Trojan Alumni when I speak about “Stakeholders” I’m definitely speaking to everyone who has worn a Portsmouth Trojan jersey first…without your support, the program will never grow.

I have personally witnessed Sports being the Unifying Factor in a community. I’m asking you today in prayer to embrace the Portsmouth City School District and help us instill a deeper sense of pride in the community and that God will allow it to be a beacon of light that dispels any darkness around us. I pray that whatever is accomplished in our efforts, God will get the glory!
Tomorrow it begins!
Congrats and Good Luck.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations, Jeff on being hired as our next basketball coach. I'm very glad that you mentioned God in your post and what HIS will is for your life and how HE can bring together people for a good purpose.

I agree with you calling out the PHSBBA. There are still a lot of the PHSBBA living in the Portsmouth area and they could have a huge influence as to the direction of the program. With you being named coach, hopefully that will recharge this group into offering a helping hand when needed.

I have no doubt that you can turn our program back in the right direction. As you said, though, it will take a "village" to do it. It is too much of a tall task to have just 1 person do it. Putting many minds together can turn words into actions and hope into reality.

I'm anxious to see what you have planned for the summer. I want to see how the firstfruits of your work are making an impact on the program. You do have some talent coming back, and some size (a couple of 6-4's and a 6-3) to go with it, so it's not like you're starting with an empty cupboard.

One request Jeff.......could you please get Chillicothe back on the schedule? CHS and PHS have a storied rivalry, and I remember growing up in the 70's like you that the Cavaliers were our biggest basketball rival. Your 1978 State Champions won at Chillicothe that year 62-54. There has been a push in the Chillicothe community to get Portsmouth back on the schedule. CHS coach Pat Beard told me last season that he was going to get us playing each other again.

Really excited about the 2023-24 basketball season......and seeing a State Champion Trojan coaching one of Ohio's most decorated programs.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Jeff Lisath wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:06 pm First and foremost I would like to thank everyone for the phone calls, texts, emails, and social media posts about my accepting the position of Head Boys Basketball Coach at Portsmouth High School. A special thanks to my wife Debra and my family who have sacrificed so much yet have been my biggest cheerleaders, supporters, grandstand coaches, and most importantly for allowing me to do what I’m passionate about no matter what or where I have coached the past 30 years. My family demonstrated the true meaning of perseverance as I’ve worked late hours, had late practices and games, and I struggled to get to my own kids' activities. I watched my wife wear several different hats while juggling schedules to make everything work. We have so many great memories from Unioto connecting with families, Chillicothe Girls where Deb was my assistant coach, our incredible Final-Four run at Piketon, and seeing their faces in the crowd during our Elite Eight run at Northridge. Having my family in the stands cheering us on made it all very special times in my coaching career.

Tomorrow it begins!
Very impactful and passionate post. Clearly you’re the right man for this job. I’m excited to see you turn the basketball program around, but I’m equally as excited to see what you do in the community. You’re a name that people listen to, look up to, and respect. Judging from this post alone you’ve not only got a plan for basketball but a plan for the lives of these young men. I’m sure it won’t be easy, but your reputation on and off the court speak for themselves. Looking forward to this coming season. I plan to be there for the first game, and hopefully many more.

Who Dey!
trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Jeff is to meet with the returning players today at PHS at 2:00 in the multipurpose room. According to his Facebook post, he wants to start a Bantam League and bring back the Lisath League which was immensely popular. There are T-shirts being made with a "Back to Prominence" theme which he designed and will be made available to the public soon. There is also a event planned in Bannon Park in mid May.

He is also contacting individuals about building a staff. Things are getting busy in a hurry. The summer should be very interesting to say the least.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Portsmouth ,what I consider the best boys and girls basketball Coachs there is anywhere now! plus a girls assistant Coach who is a hall of famer Coach in his own right! Congrats to Jeff and Good Luck in Portsmouth. Portsmouth girls will be something to watch the next 4-5 years and beyond.

Return to “Boys Basketball”