Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Coach

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Coach

Post by trojandave »

Trojan Camp was cancelled for today, but it will take place from 3:00-6:00 PM on Saturday.

TrojanTru
Waterboy

Post by TrojanTru »

trojandave wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:07 pm Trojan Camp was cancelled for today, but it will take place from 3:00-6:00 PM on Saturday.
How was the first day of camp Dave? I’d imagine, open gym Coach Lisath was tucked away, a little precursor to conditioning Coach Lisath showed up. It’s almost go time, I hear Terry Lewis boy is taking a leadership role lately and I’ve been hearing good things about the Breech kid! A diamond in the rough for sure.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

TrojanTru: First day of Trojan Camp went very well. I counted the first 10 of next year's varsity participated, and then there were about 20 other kids all the way down to 4th grade. You mentioned Isaiah Lewis, and he has taken his game to a higher level. He pushes the ball up the court as well as anyone, has shown the ability to score in various ways, and his defense has always been the hallmark of his game. Donovan Breech looks like he could have a breakout season, because now he is not just relying on the 3 point shot. He has added a dribble drive to his game, and his athleticism fits exactly what Coach Lisath wants to do.

It's only June, but I can't help but get excited by the energy Coach Lisath is bringing to the program. For sure, the SE district and the OVC is going to see a different style Trojan team come December. Coach has said repeatedly that he wants to take advantage of the team's athleticism.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

trojandave wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:25 am TrojanTru: First day of Trojan Camp went very well. I counted the first 10 of next year's varsity participated, and then there were about 20 other kids all the way down to 4th grade. You mentioned Isaiah Lewis, and he has taken his game to a higher level. He pushes the ball up the court as well as anyone, has shown the ability to score in various ways, and his defense has always been the hallmark of his game. Donovan Breech looks like he could have a breakout season, because now he is not just relying on the 3 point shot. He has added a dribble drive to his game, and his athleticism fits exactly what Coach Lisath wants to do.

It's only June, but I can't help but get excited by the energy Coach Lisath is bringing to the program. For sure, the SE district and the OVC is going to see a different style Trojan team come December. Coach has said repeatedly that he wants to take advantage of the team's athleticism.
Any move ins show up?

TrojanTru
Waterboy

Post by TrojanTru »

trojandave wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:25 am TrojanTru: First day of Trojan Camp went very well. I counted the first 10 of next year's varsity participated, and then there were about 20 other kids all the way down to 4th grade. You mentioned Isaiah Lewis, and he has taken his game to a higher level. He pushes the ball up the court as well as anyone, has shown the ability to score in various ways, and his defense has always been the hallmark of his game. Donovan Breech looks like he could have a breakout season, because now he is not just relying on the 3 point shot. He has added a dribble drive to his game, and his athleticism fits exactly what Coach Lisath wants to do.

Thank you Minford for not thinking Donavan was a good fit.
A breakout year for he and Isaiah would be just in time, with the loss of Lattimore.
Jeff has never been big on shooting the trey ball unnecessarily, so developing a dribble drive is great for Breech. I’ve always said he reminds me of Dariyonne Bryant, he’s so long, he can create his shot and wreck havoc on opposing defenses. JV look to be improving any?

Chief: Dave has already mentioned he will no longer speak on any athletes that aren’t currently enrolled at PHS.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

I'll just say that the Trojans are supposed to be gaining another player who just enrolled at PHS and from all accounts has some excellent skills. He hasn't participated in open gym yet, but I believe he will be a sophomore. From reports, he is comparable to Dontavion Parker.

He did play JH basketball for PJHS. I'll withhold his name until I find out more about him and his addition becomes official.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Trojans play at Chillicothe in a 3 way scrimmage today, with Chillicothe and Zane Trace. Thursday and Friday they travel to Oakland City (Indiana) for some scrimmages against some very good competition.

Planning on going to Chillicothe today, and will report how the run and press Jeff Lisath Trojans look.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The new look Jeff Lisath Portsmouth Trojans made a trip up Rt.23 to Chillicothe, and here's how it went:

Portsmouth vs. Chillicothe.........Trojans won all 3 quarters.......1st quarter PHS 19, CHS 4......PHS won overall by about 25 points
Portsmouth vs. Zane Trace.........Trojans won all 3 quarters.......1st quarter PHS 18, ZT 10......PHS won overall by about 18 points

Coach Lisath's run and press philosophy was in full force. The Trojans created numerous turnovers, pushed the ball up the court, and also crashed the boards. DeAndre Berry looked unstoppable, as he dominated with perimeter shooting or driving to the bucket. Coach Lisath played around 10 players, and subbed liberally.

For a team that had only 2 days of Trojan Camp to soak in what Coach Lisath wants to do, this scrimmage was a home run success. I grade the Trojans' performance an A.......new coach with a new system with little time to prepare for the scrimmage. They didn't have to be perfect for me to give them that A grade.

Starting 5 for the start of the scrimmage was DeAndre Berry, Noah Livingston, Luke Stine, Donovan Breech, and Isaiah Lewis. First off the bench were LeVaughn Cobb, Dontavion Parker, and Jayden Brewer. Also playing varsity were Landon Malone and Leelind Scurlock.

There were some JV games, and PHS didn't fare too well, although they were fairly competitive. Don't know all the names of the JV squad, but the team did have Olynshay McKinley and Tyshoune Henderson. Leelind Scurlock, Dontavion Parker, and Landon Malone played on both JV and varsity teams.

All in all, it was a very good day for the Portsmouth Trojans. The Jeff Lisath era has begun with a :D. The OVC and SE district are going to see a much different looking Portsmouth team as to how they play.

Side Note: Absolutely loved the electronic scoreboards that Chillicothe HS uses to keep score. First time I've seen those type of scoreboards. Maybe biggdowgg can post a picture of them. Also liked the all time wins board. Chillicothe has a strong hoops tradition with 1,240 wins all time. I wish we had a similar board in our gym. We have 1,496 all time.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Wow, TrojanD, only a few days into Coach Lisaths system and look at the results. I know these scrimmages dont mean alot but from this report, only up and up for these Trojans.Come Sept and Come Nov, it will be a Trojan watch for pfloyd to look at. Sounds like this is just the tip of the potential and athletes coming back out or in at Portsmouth. Plus the Portsmouth Girls basketball sounds like a force to be reckoned with for next 4-5 years at most. Wow Coach Mike and Amy Hughs and Coach Jeff Lisath. Can you say Portsmouth Basketball is back in limelight and will be. Three of the best Coachs these kids could have to teach and get full potential in this sport. Plus these are Good People. Convo up here in Athens will have to dig out letters PORTSMOUTH Trojans to put up on board and outside signs. Been awhile but Convo was and will be Trojans home again. Its amazing what is going on down on the river for these girls and boys in Portsmouth.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

trojandave wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:48 am The new look Jeff Lisath Portsmouth Trojans made a trip up Rt.23 to Chillicothe, and here's how it went:

Portsmouth vs. Chillicothe.........Trojans won all 3 quarters.......1st quarter PHS 19, CHS 4......PHS won overall by about 25 points
Portsmouth vs. Zane Trace.........Trojans won all 3 quarters.......1st quarter PHS 18, ZT 10......PHS won overall by about 18 points

Coach Lisath's run and press philosophy was in full force. The Trojans created numerous turnovers, pushed the ball up the court, and also crashed the boards. DeAndre Berry looked unstoppable, as he dominated with perimeter shooting or driving to the bucket. Coach Lisath played around 10 players, and subbed liberally.

For a team that had only 2 days of Trojan Camp to soak in what Coach Lisath wants to do, this scrimmage was a home run success. I grade the Trojans' performance an A.......new coach with a new system with little time to prepare for the scrimmage. They didn't have to be perfect for me to give them that A grade.

Starting 5 for the start of the scrimmage was DeAndre Berry, Noah Livingston, Luke Stine, Donovan Breech, and Isaiah Lewis. First off the bench were LeVaughn Cobb, Dontavion Parker, and Jayden Brewer. Also playing varsity were Landon Malone and Leelind Scurlock.

There were some JV games, and PHS didn't fare too well, although they were fairly competitive. Don't know all the names of the JV squad, but the team did have Olynshay McKinley and Tyshoune Henderson. Leelind Scurlock, Dontavion Parker, and Landon Malone played on both JV and varsity teams.

All in all, it was a very good day for the Portsmouth Trojans. The Jeff Lisath era has begun with a :D. The OVC and SE district are going to see a much different looking Portsmouth team as to how they play.

Side Note: Absolutely loved the electronic scoreboards that Chillicothe HS uses to keep score. First time I've seen those type of scoreboards. Maybe biggdowgg can post a picture of them. Also liked the all time wins board. Chillicothe has a strong hoops tradition with 1,240 wins all time. I wish we had a similar board in our gym. We have 1,496 all time.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

IMG_20230606_172734.jpg

JoeyD
Waterboy

Post by JoeyD »

Great player and great coach.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Schedule for the Portsmouth Trojans in the Oakland City University Indiana shootout, June 8th and June 9th:

June 8th: 11:40 AM PHS vs. Pike Central (Indiana)
June 8th: 1:00 PM PHS vs. Borden (Indiana)
June 8th: 2:40 PM PHS vs. Edwards Co. (Illinois)
June 8th: 4:00 PM PHS vs. Linton (Indiana)

June 9th: 11:40 AM PHS vs. Evansville Bosse (Indiana)
June 9th: 1:00 PM PHS vs. Wood (Indiana)
June 9th: 2:40 PM PHS vs. Ft.Knox (Kentucky)
June 9th: 4:00 PM PHS vs. St. Joe (South Bend, Indiana)

If I have any results, I will post them. Trojans will get a full 2 days of basketball, and will get more experience of Coach Lisath's system. I did not see a JV schedule listed, so evidently this is a varsity only event for PHS.

Some of the rules for the shootout:

1. Each half 15 minutes running clock except last 30 sec.of the 1st half, last 1 minute 2nd half
2. Shooting fouls: team gets 1 for 2 pts. (make 1 get 2 points)
3. Fouled shooting 3: team gets 2 pts. and 1 FT
4. OT will be sudden death 1st basket wins
5. Clock will not stop if team has at least a 20 pt. lead
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

PrimeTime: As far as benefit gained from scrimmages, I think this summer season is really important because we have a new coach who is implementing an entire new system. As good as the Chillicothe scrimmage went, there were still some things that one could tell by watching that the transformation into Coach Lisath's system is by no means completed. I honestly went into the scrimmage thinking the Trojans would struggle with just a few days spent on what Jeff wants to do and with him evaluating what players can and can't do at this point.

Instead, that scrimmage at Chillicothe was a huge success, and it was a pleasant surprise. Coach Lisath and his staff had these Trojans ready to play.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

trojandave wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:20 pm Schedule for the Portsmouth Trojans in the Oakland City University Indiana shootout, June 8th and June 9th:

June 8th: 11:40 AM PHS vs. Pike Central (Indiana)
June 8th: 1:00 PM PHS vs. Borden (Indiana)
June 8th: 2:40 PM PHS vs. Edwards Co. (Illinois)
June 8th: 4:00 PM PHS vs. Linton (Indiana)

June 9th: 11:40 AM PHS vs. Evansville Bosse (Indiana)
June 9th: 1:00 PM PHS vs. Wood (Indiana)
June 9th: 2:40 PM PHS vs. Ft.Knox (Kentucky)
June 9th: 4:00 PM PHS vs. St. Joe (South Bend, Indiana)

If I have any results, I will post them. Trojans will get a full 2 days of basketball, and will get more experience of Coach Lisath's system. I did not see a JV schedule listed, so evidently this is a varsity only event for PHS.

Some of the rules for the shootout:

1. Each half 15 minutes running clock except last 30 sec.of the 1st half, last 1 minute 2nd half
2. Shooting fouls: team gets 1 for 2 pts. (make 1 get 2 points)
3. Fouled shooting 3: team gets 2 pts. and 1 FT
4. OT will be sudden death 1st basket wins
5. Clock will not stop is team has at least a 20 pt. lead

That's a lot of games "qtrs" in two days

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Results from the 1st day of the Oakland City University (Indiana) Shootout:

Portsmouth 48, Pike Central 48.......game went into OT and neither team scored in the 1 minute OT
Borden 34, Portsmouth 27
Portsmouth 54, Edwards Co. 48
Portsmouth 48, Linton 28

Trojans go 2-1-1 for the 1st day. 4 games in less than 5 hours.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Regardless of the scores and and results this is awesome for the Trojans. Lots of games to build chemistry, learn coaches new scheme and just get in basketball shape heading into the late summer.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

You're absolutely right, BuckeyeBlood, about the positives outside of the game scores. There's a lot of good that will come out of this summer's basketball.

Because of some transportation difficulties, I may not be able to get to the library on time to post today's scores. If I can't, I will post results tomorrow.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Day 2 results of the Oakland City University Shootout in Indianapolis:

Portsmouth 43, Evansville Bosse (Indiana) 35
Wood Memorial (Indiana) 40, Portsmouth 22 Coach Lisath benched starters whole 2nd half; Wood featured two 6-7 kids
Portsmouth 47, Ft.Knox (Kentucky) 34

Last game vs. South Bend St.Joe (Indiana) cancelled due to Shootout running late

The Trojans ended up 4-2-1 in the Shootout, and combined with the Chillicothe/Zane Trace scrimmage, PHS went 6-2-1.

Good showing with so little time with the coaches and players still trying to get acquainted with each other.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Thanks for the updates TD. Looks like coach Lisath has had a short but productive time with the team so far this summer. Seems like a good step in the right direction come round ball time. I don’t want to get too excited too early but what he has done with this group thus far, the buzz in the community has me excited for basketball season already. Looking forward to more summer updates.

Who Dey!

Return to “Boys Basketball”