Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Coach

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Head Coach

Post by trojandave »

Jeff met with next year's players today.......there were at least 50 that showed up, which is at least 20 more than the JH, JV, and Varsity of last season's rosters combined!! He also mentioned that he wants to schedule up. He has plans to play in a shootout with Columbus Linden McKinley. The excitement is building!! First day on the job and the buzz is city wide!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Coach

Post by trojandave »

I edited the topic header to read "Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Coach".

Gator B Long
Freshman Team

Post by Gator B Long »

Class act and will have a vested interest in his alma mater. Skin in the game makes it mean more. Best wishes Jeff.

markymark1969
Freshman Team

Post by markymark1969 »

15-munute interview scheduled with Coach Lisath for this Saturday (4/29) on the Saturday Morning Sportsline. From 9-11.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Summer schedule thus far:

June 6: at Chillicothe
June 8-9: at Oakland City College (Indiana).....Time TBD
June 15: at Greenup County......Time TBD
June 24: at Columbus Linden McKinley.....Time TBD
June 28-29: Home with Dayton Northridge.....Time TBD

Coach Lisath just 2 days into the job and already has a busy summer schedule ahead for our Trojans!! Open gyms getting planned as I type this.
Last edited by trojandave on Mon May 01, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Very good interview today on WNXT with Coach Lisath. At Meet The Team at PHS this past Tuesday, Coach told the kids be ready to run and press, run and press, run and press, run and press, run and press, and run and press. Guarantee that next year's Trojans will be in shape to do just that. To hear Coach Lisath describe how the Trojans will look in 2023-24 is music to Trojan fans ears. The style of play that PHS thrived on for years. I remember just last summer how Northridge came to PHS and played that run and press style. He also said that he will get as many kids as possible involved in the rotation. He will be very involved in developing the lower levels of the program.

Remember when Coach Collins took over in 2010, PHS was coming off 7 straight losing season, and 2 years later went back to back Final 4's. The resurrection can happen again, and I believe with the energy of Coach Lisath, the same will happen.

Super excited to see the new look Trojans in 2023-24!!

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Amen! Trojans will be back!

MeanJoeGreene
Riding the Bench

Post by MeanJoeGreene »

Trojan explosion is back!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Open gyms will be on Monday and Thursday from 6:00--8:00 at PHS.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

Sounds like the ball is starting to roll. Good Luck Jeff & The Trojans

BackTap
Riding the Bench

Post by BackTap »

Good luck Jeff! Glad he’s back in Southern Ohio!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Festive atmosphere last night at the 1st open gym with Coach Lisath. About 40 kids showed up, and that's with JH and HS track meets, and a varsity baseball game. Most of next year's varsity rotation were present. Jeff came in around 6:30 and shouted "Let's Go!". He told the kids be prepared this season to run and press, and that they need to get in great shape. There were probably around 25 adults that showed up to watch, including a number of Trojan basketball alumni.

The excitement in Portsmouth about Coach Lisath is real......and there's more to come.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

trojandave wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:29 am Festive atmosphere last night at the 1st open gym with Coach Lisath. About 40 kids showed up, and that's with JH and HS track meets, and a varsity baseball game. Most of next year's varsity rotation were present. Jeff came in around 6:30 and shouted "Let's Go!". He told the kids be prepared this season to run and press, and that they need to get in great shape. There were probably around 25 adults that showed up to watch, including a number of Trojan basketball alumni.

The excitement in Portsmouth about Coach Lisath is real......and there's more to come.
That's great to hear trojandave.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

More excitement last night at PHS open gym.......Coach Lisath gave a great pep talk to the kids. He pointed to the state championship banners on the wall and said that's where he wants to take the Trojans. He also was super positive in saying there's not a team on the schedule his Trojans can't beat. He included that he wants to build relationships with the players, and not just treat them like basketball players only.

Jeff once again reiterated that the players must be in tip top shape to play his style, and that he plans on playing 10-12 kids. There were 3 members of the girls team there......Daysha Reid, Sienna Allen, and Hayven Carter.......and all 3 more than held their own.

Don't have the official coaching designations yet, but Aaron Smith was there conversing with Jeff. Good to see Aaron involved......good basketball mind and good guy.

As far as who showed up that's coming back next season, Isaiah Lewis, Donovan Breech, LeVaughn Cobb, Noah Livingston, DeAndre Berry, Olynshay McKinley, Landon Malone, Dontavion Parker, Leelind Scurlock, Jayden Brewer, Tayshuon Henderson, and John Carter (don't think I left anyone out). Don't have his name, but another kid transferred in from Valley and will be a junior next season, about 5-11 with good athleticism. Next year's 7th graders had a team of their own and did well.....the JH team next season should be fun to watch and will be one the OVC's top teams in 2023-24. This group lost only 1 or 2 games as 6th graders.

Coach Lisath is a man on a mission to return the 15 time state tournament Trojans to the basketball Promised Land.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Kid from Valley transferred? Or was just there playing? How did the boys from Webster that were there do? The going to be 7th graders have some talent, not very deep, but a few talented players, as long as they keep growing and improving, they will do well.

TrojanTru
Waterboy

Post by TrojanTru »

transplant wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:45 am Kid from Valley transferred? Or was just there playing? How did the boys from Webster that were there do? The going to be 7th graders have some talent, not very deep, but a few talented players, as long as they keep growing and improving, they will do well.
Not sure where he attended school last, but he now attends PHS and is on the track team, and will play football he said he is inspiring to play QB. His name is Kingston Littlefield. I dropped him off at the school. He says he's not really interested in playing basketball but wants to stay in shape so he's attending open gym. But if Dave says he'll be a good addition, I believe him!
Go Trojans.
Last edited by TrojanTru on Tue May 09, 2023 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Thanks

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

transplant: As far as the incoming 7th graders, there's enough talent there combined with some other classes to have a good varsity team when they are varsity eligible. Joe Greene, Mekhi Berry, the Monroe kid (Kevin's son), the Livingston kid (related to Noah on the varsity) are 4 that I know of, and you include Jay Lofton from last season, that's a pretty strong 5. I'm not sure who the other 7th grader is but I'll find out. This year's JH will be way better than last year's which went 0-15. I look for them to be in the top 3 of the OVC this coming season, and might do better than that.
Last edited by trojandave on Fri May 26, 2023 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

TrojanTru wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:46 pm
transplant wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:45 am Kid from Valley transferred? Or was just there playing? How did the boys from Webster that were there do? The going to be 7th graders have some talent, not very deep, but a few talented players, as long as they keep growing and improving, they will do well.
Not sure where he attended school last, but he now attends PHS and is on the track team, and will play football he said he is inspiring to play QB. His name is Kingston Littlefield. I dropped him off at the school. He says he's not really interested in playing basketball but wants to stay in shape so he's attending open gym. But if Dave says he'll be a good addition, I believe him!
Go Trojans.

Looks like maybe he was at East & Minford at some point? Couldn’t find him on either of those rosters for football or basketball the last 2 seasons, I also checked Valley as well. Guess it doesn’t really matter where he came from. Another kid interested in Portsmouth football & basketball (hopefully) is music to my ears. You hear more about kids who leave Portsmouth rather than come, so that’s refreshing.

Who Dey!
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

dave, i agree the 7th graders combined with other classes have potential. One of the last names was Wells, not sure if he was at open gym or not, just remember him from playing them this past 6th grade season. They also had a girl on the team that held her own. This same group has a few nice baseball players as well.

Return to “Boys Basketball”