Waverly Tigers Basketball 2023-2024

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Re: Waverly Tigers Basketball 2023-2024

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Very proud of how the young Tigers have played this year, some games they should've won for sure and they're doing that. Not sure how many realized it or not but we just beat a NW team by 10 after getting beat by NW by 23 or so the first time around with them last year and NW returned everything. They'll be in league play soon and there's some giants they'll have to deal with but they'll grow from it no matter the outcome. This is going to be a tough tough team for a few years to come for sure.

basketballmind
Waterboy

Post by basketballmind »

Waverly is making such an incredible jump from a team that was a bottom dweller last year to a real competitor this year. Props to the coaching staff and the players

Watchinghoops
Waterboy

Post by Watchinghoops »

No reason to be ashamed of the loss to piketon, Nibert runs the offense and is the key to this team with him back the tigers will be fine.

Watchinghoops
Waterboy

Post by Watchinghoops »

What can you say other than what is going on in waverly I’ve heard they dropped the west game after letting west go on a 43-11 run that is atrocious, people aren’t happy with the subbing I’ve heard either any ideas on where it is going wrong in waverly?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Watchinghoops wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:08 pm What can you say other than what is going on in waverly I’ve heard they dropped the west game after letting west go on a 43-11 run that is atrocious, people aren’t happy with the subbing I’ve heard either any ideas on where it is going wrong in waverly?
They are extremely young and people should be thrilled with 7 wins after the disaster that was last year.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:27 pm
Watchinghoops wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:08 pm What can you say other than what is going on in waverly I’ve heard they dropped the west game after letting west go on a 43-11 run that is atrocious, people aren’t happy with the subbing I’ve heard either any ideas on where it is going wrong in waverly?
They are extremely young and people should be thrilled with 7 wins after the disaster that was last year.
Tigers played right with a good Miami Trace Team on the road last night. Final score ended up being an 11 point margin, mainly due to the FT's in the last minute. When Waverly is knocking down a decent % of their threes they can hang with good teams. Many times Waverly had 4 Freshmen on the floor at one time. Tigers got down double digits in the 4th and fought back to cut it down to 5 or so but couldn't get any closer.

Friday night was indeed a head scratcher but that began with the floor general coming out in the 2nd period with 3 fouls. Tigers had jumped out to a 13-2 lead after one, Wests only points coming on a pair of freebies from Fike with 1:00 remaining. It was still 13-2, Tigers up, with 4:20 to play in the 2nd when West called timeout. With Nibert on the bench with 3 fouls (changing the entire complexity of the game), Bishop made West's first bucket of the game with 3:55 to make it 13-4 and the first half ended West up 19-17. A quick 4th foul on Nibert in the 3rd and the problems continued. If I remember correctly the Tigers turned it over 22 times Friday night. When Waverly turns it over 20+ times and misses more shots then they make, they aren't going to win - not many teams would...

WAVERLY IS YOUNG YOUNG YOUNG - 2 FRESHMEN START AND MANY TIMES 4 FRESHMEN ARE ON THE FLOOR AT ONE TIME.

The Tigers have not been blown out by anyone up to this point and they have played some pretty good teams. They have been in most of those games up until the final minutes.

I don't know what "PEOPLE" are expecting this year after a 2 win season and some upperclassmen not playing who could have helped.

Watchinghoops
Waterboy

Post by Watchinghoops »

My point I was trying to prove is the 7 wins are good and all but this team doesn’t seem much of an upgrade considering that team last year beat a district runner up and we’re never healthy……. If you had Haynes, Nibert, Kelly, Swords playing together all year that team could have been dangerous and the schedule was MUCH harder in my year and years of watching SEO basketball never would I think the tigers would Schedule a non OHSAA team as in New Hope Christian. In my opinion the tigers haven’t made as much of a jump as you people think compare the schedules…..

Watchinghoops
Waterboy

Post by Watchinghoops »

I would hope the tigers could win a couple more games but seems they aren’t able to compete very well in the SOC. I’ll have to check in to the game tomorrow night who do they have?

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Watchinghoops wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:12 am I would hope the tigers could win a couple more games but seems they aren’t able to compete very well in the SOC. I’ll have to check in to the game tomorrow night who do they have?
The Tigers host Eastern Brown this evening. The SOC is and has always been a gauntlet. Everyone can be on upset watch any given night.. like everyone else has said we are very young and I think these guys getting all the time they are now will only make them better. What exact expectations were you seeking this season? To say this team isn't an upgrade from last year is a wild take to me and the wrong one at that.

YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Post by YouCantBeSerious »

Waverly’s biggest issue this season so far is consistency, which isn’t shocking playing so many freshman. And they do lack consistent outside shooting as well, only true shooters on the team are two seniors and one of them had been in a slump but seems to be on the other side of it. Teams are playing more zone against the tigers due to that lack of shooting and it has caused some problems creating offense in the half court. Plus imo they lack another true guard outside of Nibert and that really hurts, the next best true point guard on the team is freshman Nibert but he plays JV. I honestly would have like to had seen him get some more playing time here and there varsity wise when Nibert (sr) gets in foul trouble. Defensively they have been pretty solid and could be even better if one of the top defenders could stay out of foul trouble. I said on here before the season started that the Tigers may not end up with a great record but they may be a tough out in the tournament with whoever they get matched up with, and I think that is holding true so far. They are competitive in almost every game which is all you can ask for honestly with the structure of this team. No other area team that I know of is playing 3-4 freshman. That always seems like bailout everyone goes to when the Tigers are struggling, but in reality they shouldn’t be winning every game with that kind of youth.

Anyone who is truly disappointed at the Tigers season so far should come back down to earth. Have the they let a few W’s slip away? Yes. But watching these Tigers is very fun and encouraging. They play hard and if kids in the high school program continue to come out each year as well as those in the jr high program, they will be special in a couple of years. So much young talent in the basketball program right now, just have to stay the course. Tiger fans should be excited.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

YouCantBeSerious wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:34 am Waverly’s biggest issue this season so far is consistency, which isn’t shocking playing so many freshman. And they do lack consistent outside shooting as well, only true shooters on the team are two seniors and one of them had been in a slump but seems to be on the other side of it. Teams are playing more zone against the tigers due to that lack of shooting and it has caused some problems creating offense in the half court. Plus imo they lack another true guard outside of Nibert and that really hurts, the next best true point guard on the team is freshman Nibert but he plays JV. I honestly would have like to had seen him get some more playing time here and there varsity wise when Nibert (sr) gets in foul trouble. Defensively they have been pretty solid and could be even better if one of the top defenders could stay out of foul trouble. I said on here before the season started that the Tigers may not end up with a great record but they may be a tough out in the tournament with whoever they get matched up with, and I think that is holding true so far. They are competitive in almost every game which is all you can ask for honestly with the structure of this team. No other area team that I know of is playing 3-4 freshman. That always seems like bailout everyone goes to when the Tigers are struggling, but in reality they shouldn’t be winning every game with that kind of youth.

Anyone who is truly disappointed at the Tigers season so far should come back down to earth. Have the they let a few W’s slip away? Yes. But watching these Tigers is very fun and encouraging. They play hard and if kids in the high school program continue to come out each year as well as those in the jr high program, they will be special in a couple of years. So much young talent in the basketball program right now, just have to stay the course. Tiger fans should be excited.
Said it perfect!! Go Tigers

bc181700
Freshman Team

Post by bc181700 »

BigGuy10 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:09 am
YouCantBeSerious wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:34 am Waverly’s biggest issue this season so far is consistency, which isn’t shocking playing so many freshman. And they do lack consistent outside shooting as well, only true shooters on the team are two seniors and one of them had been in a slump but seems to be on the other side of it. Teams are playing more zone against the tigers due to that lack of shooting and it has caused some problems creating offense in the half court. Plus imo they lack another true guard outside of Nibert and that really hurts, the next best true point guard on the team is freshman Nibert but he plays JV. I honestly would have like to had seen him get some more playing time here and there varsity wise when Nibert (sr) gets in foul trouble. Defensively they have been pretty solid and could be even better if one of the top defenders could stay out of foul trouble. I said on here before the season started that the Tigers may not end up with a great record but they may be a tough out in the tournament with whoever they get matched up with, and I think that is holding true so far. They are competitive in almost every game which is all you can ask for honestly with the structure of this team. No other area team that I know of is playing 3-4 freshman. That always seems like bailout everyone goes to when the Tigers are struggling, but in reality they shouldn’t be winning every game with that kind of youth.

Said it perfect!! Go Tigers

I've only seen Wavery play twice this year, but they seem to be in a similar situation as Jackson LAST year, with 4-5 freshmen playing MAJOR minutes on Varsity, and minimal upperclassmen presence. Jackson finished around .500 last year, and have seen good improvement this year with those freshmen as sophomores. If I'm in the Tiger fanbase, I'm staying extremely positive and supportive and looking forward to a lot of popcorn, soda and Wins in the next few years.
Kudos to the young kids that have to step up early, there are some tough lessons learned, but if they are in a positive environment, it'll pay BIG dividends. Remember, most of those kids haven't experienced a lot of Losses in the prior years, so they are plenty tough on themselves, just keep supporting.

Closeouts23
Waterboy

Post by Closeouts23 »

To compare this year’s team to last is not even a fair comparison. Waverly received 3 transfers this year which made an immediate impact. Plus you throw the Russell kid in also. Only kids that play significant minutes from last years team is Nibert and Jamison. Doesn’t take much to have success compared to last year. Lol. Waverly has talent coming for sure. But how many of those kids will actually play??? Future looks bright for the Tigers but time will tell. Kids just need to keep competing and good things will eventually happen.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Eastern Brown 48
Waverly 39

End of One Waverly up 15-12
Halftime Eastern Brown up 24-22
End of Three Eastern Brown up 36-28

Waverly's defense is doing well. Offense is having trouble scoring. 7 points in the 2nd and 6 points in the 3rd isn't going to win very many games.
Waverly defense held EB to 12 points each period. Tigers had good open looks, especially in the 4th but couldn't get anything to fall. Tigers only connected on 2 threes in the first half (1 by Bloss and 1 by Russell) and failed to connect on a single three in the 2nd half.
EB connected on 6 threes but didn't shoot many. Tigers start knocking down some of those shots and they are right there winning some of these close games against very good teams. Waverly has the potential to knock off some good teams but only if they can shoot the ball well.

Tigers are on the road at Valley Thursday as the Girls Varsity plays at 6:00p.m. followed by the Boys Varsity - NO JV GAMES!

Watchinghoops
Waterboy

Post by Watchinghoops »

Man, the tigers are up 10 every game in the first quarter just to get blown out anyone know why? Maybe the zone starts out well then people find the cracks in it? Hoping the tigers can knock off valley or New Hope and i think they are capable of winning a game in the tourney.

Watchinghoops
Waterboy

Post by Watchinghoops »

Heartbreaking loss for the tigers tonight big 3 pointer by Jamison Morton with 9.4 left but press and give up an open layup to Copley, don’t agree with the press there Carroll is a great defender and I would sit back and make them hit a tough shot great fight by the tigers tonight none the less.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigers finally starting knocking down some threes in the 4th period, Nibert with 1 and Morton with 2, including the HUGE trifecta with 9.4 to play to put the Tigers up 1. The only other 3 to fall was from Bloss in the 1st period when the Tigers jumped out 7-3 midway through the period.
Waverly down 10 at the break and cut it down to 6 at the end of three. They kept chipping away and finally tied it at 39 with 3:08 to play on a Nibert circus and 1. Vice scored with 2:10 to put Valley up 41-39. It stayed that way as neither team could score, valley missing on a pair of FT's with :21 to play, before Mortons triple with 9.4.
Experience won the game for Valley in those last 9 seconds as Copley just simply took it coast to coast and got to the rim for the layin.
Tigers were over the foul limit so they couldn't foul at midcourt to make Valley set up something with less time, but I think you have to foul him before letting him to get to the rim - make him hit both FT's. He had gone 2-4 with his last 4 FT's.
Tigers played with great heart and never gave up. All these games are valuable learning experiences for these young guys.

Get some rest tonight and back in the Downtown Arena tomorrow night to welcome in New Hope Christian Academy.

Return to “Boys Basketball”