OHSAA: Behind Closed Doors..Adding Basketball Divisiosn

radiodavel
JV Team

OHSAA: Behind Closed Doors..Adding Basketball Divisiosn

Post by radiodavel »

OHSAA: Behind Closed Doors..Adding Basketball Divisions https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2023 ... l-division

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: OHSAA: Behind Closed Doors..Adding Basketball Divisiosn

Post by trojandave »

I'm in favor of adding a division or two because the real discrepancy lies in D1.......as the article stated, there are D1 schools that have almost 900-1000 boys less than the large D1 schools. That's simply not fair.

Even if the OHSAA adds 1 division, with there being approximately 800 HS total in Ohio, those 5 divisions if divided equally would have about 160 schools in each division. If the OHSAA adds 2 divisions, those 6 divisions if divided equally would have about 150 schools. It still would be really hard to make the Final 4 and win the state, and for some schools even winning a sectional or district would still be a big deal.

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

I was told coaches voted for this at district meetings..so I am not sure about "behind closed doors". I think this is a good thing anyway, there's just too much a gap in all divisions between the high end enrollment and low end, that goes from D1 to D4. 6 Would be the perfect combination, no more playing schools with close to 100 male/female enrollment differences.

PikeCo23
Waterboy

Post by PikeCo23 »

There is not a huge gap with all divisions, like there is for D 1. D 1 is a joke how they divide it up. Football got it right and now basketball needs to follow the same path.

Differences in enrollment from the divisions top and bottom number teams:

Division 1- Mason has 1300 boys and Bedford has 346. Hardly fair...Difference of 954. Absolute Joke.

Division 2- Bowling Green 344 and Meigs 193. Difference of 151.

Division 3- Fairless 191 and Hicksville 121. Difference of only 70!!

Division 4- Columbia 120 and St. Joe Central 16. Difference of 104.

Not even close to the same differences.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

PikeCo23 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:57 am There is not a huge gap with all divisions, like there is for D 1. D 1 is a joke how they divide it up. Football got it right and now basketball needs to follow the same path.

Differences in enrollment from the divisions top and bottom number teams:

Division 1- Mason has 1300 boys and Bedford has 346. Hardly fair...Difference of 954. Absolute Joke.

Division 2- Bowling Green 344 and Meigs 193. Difference of 151.

Division 3- Fairless 191 and Hicksville 121. Difference of only 70!!

Division 4- Columbia 120 and St. Joe Central 16. Difference of 104.

Not even close to the same differences.
Well put. Although I'd argue that having 16 is as big of a disadvantage against 120 as 346 is to 1,300. If you've got 30 boys in the school and maybe 15 play basketball, I'm guessing some of those kids are just playing to have something to do and aren't exactly in it to excel at basketball. Plus, one injury at a school with low numbers has a much bigger effect than an injury at a school that can at least field a full JV team.

But yeah I totally agree. I don't think the competitive difference of chopping up the current D3 into multiple slices will really matter much. It should impact the largest and smallest teams the most.

muskiefan11
JV Team

Post by muskiefan11 »

As a fan of a Larger D2 school I think that we would be hurt more than anyone else by this and the small D1’s benefit the most. Say they add a division, the bottom tier of D1 and top tier of D2 probably gets meshed. I will be interested to see how this plays out, I think overall it could be a good thing competitively.

PikeCo23
Waterboy

Post by PikeCo23 »

It did the same for football at one point too, though. That small change for a big D2 school is better than asking a school with 340 boys to play schools that have 1300. They basically are just giving the middle finger to the smallest D1 schools and saying good luck!

trampoline
Riding the Bench

Post by trampoline »

If they want to fix high school basketball then create a separate division for private schools. Then they can cheat each other.

84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

Seperate public from private , that would immediately make it somewhat even.

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

I'm all for 6 divisions,as long as they get Richmond Hts all star team out of D4

GoBucks1047
Varsity

Post by GoBucks1047 »

I think creating 3 new divisions is too much, but I think 1 or 2 is acceptable. This is what I think it could be:

5 Divisions:
D1 - 96 Teams
D2-D5 - 176 Teams each

6 Divisions
D1 - 80 Teams
D2-D6 - 144 Teams each

Currently
D1-D4 - 200 Teams each

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Dumb. Everything is so watered-down. Let’s have 75% more games at the state level, wonder who that benefits?

Let’s just determine how many participating schools in OHSAA basketball and divide by 4 and that’s how many divisions we should have and everyone gets to make it to state. Everyone will be so happy. Won’t be enough police and sheriff cruisers to bring every team back through town. The banner companies will be ridiculously backed up. The post season honors lists will be lengthy.

Football can go to 10 divisions

Return to “Boys Basketball”