Portsmouth Trojans 2023-24

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 2023-24

Post by trojandave »

My post is a little late, but I want to give South Webster credit for coming into our gym and handing it to our Trojans. They outplayed us in every aspect. However, I echo Coach Lisath's sentiments that when his system is totally in place, Portsmouth will end up with a very good season. I have watched a lot of practices and the kids still have a lot of learning to do. What we saw in the Trojans vs. SW was far from a finished product. Coach Lisath didn't like the results on Monday, but that won't deter him one bit from bringing our program back to prominence. The pieces of the puzzle are there......now it's just a matter of putting those pieces together.

Great post, Coach, and I have full faith that you will get our Trojans to where you want them.

Not that history will necessarily repeat itself, but in the 2010-2011 season, South Webster beat the Trojans in the 1st game of the regular season......and Portsmouth advanced to the Final 4.

The Jeeps have a good team, and from what I saw as just a fan they should challenge Minford, Wheelersburg, and the rest of the SOC. It always helps to have a coach who has almost 800 wins on the bench.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Wow!! Head Coaches getting on SEOP and giving rundowns of scrimmages! LMAO!!!! I can't wait til Coach Persin or Coach Kellough gets on SEOP and gives their reviews of their games. The state of high school sports is a mess. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:11 am Wow!! Head Coaches getting on SEOP and giving rundowns of scrimmages! LMAO!!!! I can't wait til Coach Persin or Coach Kellough gets on SEOP and gives their reviews of their games. The state of high school sports is a mess. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No different than Facebook, X, Instagram, ETC. Social media is social media. Coach is just putting out there that he is engaged and looking for success.

Honestly, I wish coaches were banned from all social media in public schools. That's all you see these days from every school.

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:11 am Wow!! Head Coaches getting on SEOP and giving rundowns of scrimmages! LMAO!!!! I can't wait til Coach Persin or Coach Kellough gets on SEOP and gives their reviews of their games. The state of high school sports is a mess. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol.. also thought that was wild... thought it had ta be an imposter... but with the Trojan responses... i guess it ain't..lol

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Rza1 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:28 pm [quote=ItsMyOpinion post_id=2091049 time=<a href="tel:1701353518">1701353518</a> user_id=3087]
Wow!! Head Coaches getting on SEOP and giving rundowns of scrimmages! LMAO!!!! I can't wait til Coach Persin or Coach Kellough gets on SEOP and gives their reviews of their games. The state of high school sports is a mess. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol.. also thought that was wild... thought it had ta be an imposter... but with the Trojan responses... i guess it ain't..lol
[/quote]

Real curious if either of you have ever watched sports in your life? How is him literally making a post game comment online any different than a post game interview, pre game interview? Saturday morning sports line? Daily times articles? Because he chose to do it himself you guys are so mind blown? You think other coaches don’t get on here and post? I guarantee others do, they just decide to hide behind a screen name.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:18 am
Rza1 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:28 pm [quote=ItsMyOpinion post_id=2091049 time=<a href="tel:1701353518">1701353518</a> user_id=3087]

Real curious if either of you have ever watched sports in your life? How is him literally making a post game comment online any different than a post game interview, pre game interview? Saturday morning sports line? Daily times articles? Because he chose to do it himself you guys are so mind blown? You think other coaches don’t get on here and post? I guarantee others do, they just decide to hide behind a screen name.
[/quote]

I can see getting a chuckle out of it. Let's face it, SEOPS is the topix of social media but I think Coach is using all avenues to reach his community and fan base. You can tell he wants to succeed.

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:18 am

[/quote]

I agree with you on this one. I do not see a problem with it. Coach is working to build his program and get the "correct" info out. No different than any other coach does on any other outlet.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

So Coach Lisath posted as head coach for Piketon on here for years and not a word ,his first post as a Trojan and now he is doing something wrong?

I know for a fact three other head coaches from this area ,one even in the OVC that post on here , should they be banned for life also lol.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Not only do coaches post on here, biggdowgg, but there have been some administrators and basketball officials that have posted also. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Coach Lisath posting about his team. He wants to be as transparent as can be, and it's actually refreshing in this day and age of hiding behind a name and using SEOPS for entertainment purposes only, providing little if any useful information.
Last edited by trojandave on Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

SEOPS is for the masses ✊🏻

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Ironically, the same poster having a problem with Lisath posting here was over in the Ironton football thread the same day praising Pendleton for promoting Ironton football on social media? Somebody make it make sense.

I know for a fact some local coaches (head coaches and assistant coaches) post here, but without disclosing their identities. And I'd bet the majority of other coaches are on here lurking regardless whether they admit to it or not. I don't have a problem with it as I don't see it being any different than the Saturday morning coaches call-in show that 1260 AM has ran for years locally*

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

As previously alluded:

SEOPS is the new TOPIX. The ignorant trolls migrated to SEOPS when TOPIX closed shop.

I'd rather read a coaches perspective vs some of these armchair clowns.

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Post by Jussmypinion »

FIDO wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:45 pm As previously alluded:

SEOPS is the new TOPIX. The ignorant trolls migrated to SEOPS when TOPIX closed shop.

I'd rather read a coaches perspective vs some of these armchair clowns.
Yep. Who better than the coach to give us a realistic perspective. Kudos to Coach Lisath, for not hiding behind a screen name, and engaging in foolish back and forth banter, unlike a few other coaches that use this platform.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Coach Lisath has ALWAYS posted on SEOPs over the years even when he was no longer IN SEOhio! Coach has always made himself accessible to the fans of high school hoops , always given his take on his teams, given props to opponents ... Coach has always been Coach over the years ...

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Portsmouth starts the season 1-0 with a 14 point win (I believe) over Lawrence County KY. I don’t have stats (someone else may) but Berry, Loper & Breech all had nice games offensively for the Trojans. Defensively the Trojans were flying around everywhere, forced several turnovers. Liked the play down low on defense too. Thought Livingston gave good minutes off the bench.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth opened the Jeff Lisath era with a 74-60 win over a good Lawrence County, KY team. The Trojans (1-0) were led by Donnovan Breech with 28 points, followed by Malachi Loper with 19 and DeAndre Berry with 18. LC won their district tournament last season.

PHS pulled away to a 16 point lead in the 4th quarter, as the Bulldogs hung around within 8-10 points until midway in the final frame. It was Lawrence County's 4th game of the season, one of which was a 13 point win over Coal Grove. As Buckeye Blood said, the Trojans used full court pressure for a large part of the game which resulted in forcing some Bulldog turnovers and quick buckets for PHS. Luke Stine and Noah Livingston gave PHS good play in the paint at both ends.

Going into the season, PHS was regarded by some as a 1 man team, with DeAndre Berry being the main focus. Last night, there was no evidence of such as Berry had a good number of assists which set up his teammates, with Breech and Loper having big offensive nights. DeAndre has now scored 698 points in his march to 1,000 for his career.

Portsmouth entertains Notre Dame on Friday, then travels to Rock Hill next Tuesday, followed by a trip to Gallia Academy on Friday 12/15.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Found out yesterday that Malachi Loper, who transferred in from Portsmouth Clay, has 676 points for his career thus far. Loper, a junior, was the leading scorer for the Panthers last season, averaging 17 PPG.

Portsmouth will now have 2 current players who most likely will achieve the rare milestone of 1,000 points, and it's more rare that more than one player will do it in the same season. Wayne Evans and Dion McKinley both scored 1,096 points each and both went over 1,000 in the 2012 season.

After conferring with former coach Eugene Collins, Andrew Bendolph (2011) also scored 1,000+ points for his career, having played at PHS for 3 years, and 1 year at Wheelersburg as a junior. His exact point total is not known, but with Coach Collins as a reference, he is given credit for his accomplishment. Bendolph will be listed on www.trojanhoops.org on the 1,000 point scorers topic.

Also, the Portsmouth JV won their 1st game vs. LC, and that matches their win total from last season (1-18). The PHS freshmen also won their 1st game over Rock Hill last night as Tyson Craft scored 18 points.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Good to see Andrew Bendolph added to that 1,000 point club ,well deserved,Andrew was one of my favorite Trojan basketball players . Always 100 percent the whole game every game.
Favorite memory,zac carter shut down!

Malachi Loper was a huge addition to this team and fits right in with the tempo that Coach Lisath wants to play.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth squeaked out a 40-39 win over a very good Portsmouth Notre Dame last night. The Trojans were led by DeAndre Berry with 24 points. The Titans held a 6 point halftime lead at 21-15, but PHS outscored ND 25-18 in the 2nd half to edge out the victory, and raise their record to 2-0. Berry's career point total stands at 722.

The PHS junior varsity lost by 1 point on an ND 3 pointer at the buzzer.

Portsmouth is on the road next week, with games at Rock Hill on Tuesday and Gallia Academy on Friday. PHS can go 3-0 for the 1st time since 2019 if they can win at RH.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth won at Rock Hill 66-47. The Trojans led 26-23 at the half, then put the game away with a 24-7 advantage in the 3rd quarter. DeAndre Berry joined the 30 point club on www.trojanhoops.org., as he tallied an even 30 for his 1st such game reaching that mark. Isaiah Lewis chipped in 12 points. The Trojans are now 3-0 for the 1st time since 2019. Berry is averaging 24 PPG through 3 games.

With the win, Portsmouth now has 1,499 wins all time. It was erroneously reported on another site that PHS had reached #1,500 with the win at RH. The Trojans go for win #1,500 at Gallia Academy on Friday. PHS's all time record stands at 1,499--830.

Portsmouth can add another historical note with a win on Friday. The Trojans have not started a season 4-0 since the 2015 season, when PHS started 6-0, then lost to Chillicothe in the championship of the Wendy's Classic.

Return to “Boys Basketball”