Twin State League Boys Hoops

boss8
JV Team

Twin State League Boys Hoops

Post by boss8 »

Wanted to see if we could generate some hoops discussion about the newest league in SE Ohio, the TSL. Don't know everything about everyone, but here is my quick rundown:

Marietta: Brings back some key pieces from a good first year for a new coach (lots of new energy), including the big man Kendall who is really, really good (committed to Findlay). He is surrounded by some depth and solid guard play, especially Kelley, who is perhaps the best athlete in the school. Knighton is an athletic hustle-defense guy who does the dirty work. They absolutely decimated Athens and Logan to start the year so far. Underrated thing for Marietta is Coach Warner being back on the sidelines as the lead assistant to Coach Gardner. Great experience.

Warren: Have Taylor and Stadleman back, as well as other good pieces from what I can tell. Both are very, very good players. Sealey and Cressey are good athletes and do a lot of good things to help you win, and the Anthony boy has had a strong start to the year. Blaine Maddox has his way and always gets his team ready. Can't wait for the Tigers-Warriors showdowns...should be fun. The game at Sutton to end the year was electric, Kendall dominated inside. Will be interesting to see the Taylor-Kendall matchup again.

Fort Frye: Don't know much about what they bring back and am concerned that some injuries from football may carry over into basketball season. They are always solid and tough, but from what I've seen they don't have a ton of size. They will be very competitive though I'm sure, but will they have the horses to play with Marietta and Warren inside?

Point Pleasant: Don't know anything about them this year other than the fact that their stud big man, Chapman, is a freshman at Marietta College now. From what I've heard, they are very high on him and think he is going to be great there.

Feel free to chime in, argue, or otherwise share your thoughts!

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Re: Twin State League Boys Hoops

Post by Sportsfan01 »

Fort Frye looked solid last night. They don’t have a ton of size but they are very athletic. They can shoot and handle the ball well. They are pretty deep too. I would say they can go 8 or 9 guys pretty easy without a drop in talent on the floor. Miller and Snodgrass are both working back from injury so their minutes were a little less than what I would expect them to be as the season goes on. I look for them to really want to pressure teams, force turnovers and play up tempo.

As for the TSL, I would say Warren and Marietta are the two best. But I still expect competitive games from all the teams in this league.

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

Why no talk about the Warren vs Linsly w.va. game on Wednesday December 6, would like to hear about the game and how it went

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

Linsly won 63-58. Warren was down most of the game but was able to take a lead in the 4th quarter but Linsly hit a couple big shots and made free throws down the stretch. Both teams were very physical and applied a lot of pressure all night.

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

So Linsly is a pretty good team, do they have a lot of height

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

IVCHAWKS wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:19 am So Linsly is a pretty good team, do they have a lot of height
I watched it on the live stream and the camera angle made it hard to tell the height of the players. But I think when they announced the starting lineup they listed players at 6’9”, 6’7” and 6’6” if I heard it correct

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

Gobigblacks
JV Team

Post by Gobigblacks »

Point Pleasant lost two starters - Eric Chapman and Peyton Murphy - but returns Senior Josh Chapman, Junior Asher Robinson, and Junior Grant Barton who all started last year.

Point won their first game 54-33 over Lincoln County and will travel to River Valley tomorrow night.

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

That's pretty good height for a highschool team

jcbigblue13
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue13 »

IVCHAWKS wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:25 am That's pretty good height for a highschool team
The way they can recruit it's closer to a very small d3 college squad...they were big and fast, first game for them and they haven't quite come together yet...they have I think 8 new transfers to integrate this year...#15 was an absolute stud

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

jcbigblue13 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:45 am
IVCHAWKS wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:25 am That's pretty good height for a highschool team
The way they can recruit it's closer to a very small d3 college squad...they were big and fast, first game for them and they haven't quite come together yet...they have I think 8 new transfers to integrate this year...#15 was an absolute stud
I heard that a ton of schools are considering dropping Linsly in all sports due to the recruiting. Gain very little by playing them.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

EasternDspy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:58 pm
I heard that a ton of schools are considering dropping Linsly in all sports due to the recruiting. Gain very little by playing them.
they're not even in the WVSSAC, right?

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

boss8 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:37 pm

No, they’re ineligible for postseason play.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

boss8 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:37 pm

They only compete for ovac titles. Fort dropped them in football

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Those were my thoughts JC, give them a few games and Linsly is going to be even better. Thought we fought hard in that frame in the first quarter when Linsly made a run were we could've easily folded in the towel and got ran up on. Had a chance at the end and I'll take that against a team with the athletic ability like Linsly. Little side note but I've been impressed with Lupardus through the first two games of the season now, I think he's really shown improvement from last season.

Go Blue
IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

I'm surprised that Warren would even play them at their place,I see where a lot of there games are away games,I noticed that Fairland plays them at Ironton classic, here in a few weeks

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Scores from last night:
Marietta (3-0) 53 Gallia Academy 45
Point Pleasant (2-0) 54 River Valley 32
Fort Frye (2-0) 71 Shenandoah 66

Today:
Gallia Academy @ Warren (1-1)

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Saturday:
Warren (2-1) 68 - Gallia Academy 35

Tuesday:
Warren (3-1) 76 - Belpre 37

Wednesday:
Winfield 54 - Point Pleasant (2-1) 33

Friday:
Warren (4-1) 72 - Logan 18
Marietta (4-0) 70 - Buckeye Local 26
Caldwell 63 - Fort Frye (2-1) 57

Saturday:
Gallia Academy 27 - Point Pleasant (2-2) 25
Marietta (5-0) 55 - Massillon Perry 47

Marietta with a huge test Saturday against D1 Massillon Perry. Gallia continues their tour of the TSL vs Point Pleasant which will be an interesting matchup. Warren should roll Logan, MHS should have little trouble with Buckeye. Fort already beat Caldwell. Know nothing about Winfield.
Last edited by pioneer19 on Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Not much action or exciting games yet but the season should start to heat up next week.

Go Blue
boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

The Tigers putting the rest of the TSL on notice getting the W against Massillon Perry. Best win by a wide, wide margin for any of these teams this year so far.

Return to “Boys Basketball”