Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #3

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #3

Post by danicalifornia »

I haven’t seen Warren or Marietta, but out of the teams I’ve seen so far, I’d go:

1. Minford
2. South Webster
3. South Point
4. Wheelersburg
5. Fairland
6. Vinton County
7. Ironton
8. North Adams

But, I think 1/2 are absurdly close.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Warren looked pretty good tonight. Bloom Carrol would beat most of the SE teams we talk about.

I think you gotta move Leesburg up significantly as well. 9-0. They executed great all game, have 2 or 3 off the bench. Was really impressed with them today in the Alley

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:10 pm Warren looked pretty good tonight. Bloom Carrol would beat most of the SE teams we talk about.

I think you gotta move Leesburg up significantly as well. 9-0. They executed great all game, have 2 or 3 off the bench. Was really impressed with them today in the Alley
... Fairfield Leesburg IS a solid TEAM - nothing flashy, play 7 in their rotation, everyone does a good job playing within their roles ... with that said - they aren't 14 points better than Federal Hocking ... Fairfield was aided by Federal Hocking having played at Western Pike last night - I was surprised that the game was this close - I didn't think FH would have ANY legs left from the up and down game at Latham last night ... the second half had the Lancers scoring only 5 fgs ... outscored 18-31 ... but you are absolutely right Fairfield is solid ... I started them lower in the preseason - again KNOWING that they lost 4 starters off of last years District final squad ... they'll keep moving up the rankings obviously ... 9-0 ... defeating fellow D4 who IS better than the 5-4 record - losses to Fairfield Leesburg 9-0, Marietta 8-0, Warren 7-2 , 3 pt loss at 5-3 Belpre ... Kudos to Coach Thompson for putting together a non-conference schedule that the TEAM can learn from ... Federal Hocking lost 3 starters and the first off the bench in last years rotation ... We saw 2 good D4 teams today ...

jcbigblue13
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue13 »

Picket Fence wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:14 am Warren losing to a winless Parkersburg HS (decent “foreign” team) has to bump them from #1…they sit at 6-2. The way it’s looking they will have two or three more losses this year….Bloom-Carroll, Marietta (possibly twice), & Fairfield Union. Warren is still an excellent team for SE Ohio standards but I think they are a player short from being #1 pfloyd….Stadleman is a gamer, Taylor brings it most nights, but they don’t have that third big time baller/give me the ROCK kind of dude. You need that in the big games. Don’t get me wrong, Warren has a nice TEAM with solid role players you just need a third guy that can consistently go get you a big bucket.

Marietta has to be top 2 if they keep winning. They are not gonna be a team opponents want to see come tournament time with Alex Kendall being SE Ohio’s version of a poor man’s Larry Bird😛. South Webster has to be considered top 2 as well. Both teams have favorable coaching and favorable rosters. I really like what South Webster is positioned to do this year in D4 barring they stay healthy.
Hmmm... interesting take...BTW Warren beat Bloom

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

Watched a lot of games this week this is what I’m seeing

Warren real good them and Marietta a toss up in d2

Soc3 loaded with Minford burg SW

Ovc loaded also Fairland best team I’ve seen in that league south point best player and Peake dangerous but plays awful out of conference schedule and Ironton very good won at home I’m betting Fairland wins at their place. OVC winner prob has 3 losses at least maybe more

Lastly very glad to hear pfloyd say district semis coming back to Convo also bc there’s a lot of parody and i think the semis in D2 D3 and D4 could all be very competitive

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

On top of that i think seo has lots of individual and team talent this year good year for seo bball

ohiohoops
Waterboy

Post by ohiohoops »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:07 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:10 pm Warren looked pretty good tonight. Bloom Carrol would beat most of the SE teams we talk about.

... Fairfield Leesburg IS a solid TEAM - nothing flashy, play 7 in their rotation, everyone does a good job playing within their roles ... with that said - they aren't 14 points better than Federal Hocking ... Fairfield was aided by Federal Hocking having played at Western Pike last night - I was surprised that the game was this close - I didn't think FH would have ANY legs left from the up and down game at Latham last night ... the second half had the Lancers scoring only 5 fgs ... outscored 18-31 ... but you are absolutely right Fairfield is solid ... I started them lower in the preseason - again KNOWING that they lost 4 starters off of last years District final squad ... they'll keep moving up the rankings obviously ... 9-0 ... defeating fellow D4 who IS better than the 5-4 record - losses to Fairfield Leesburg 9-0, Marietta 8-0, Warren 7-2 , 3 pt loss at 5-3 Belpre ... Kudos to Coach Thompson for putting together a non-conference schedule that the TEAM can learn from ... Federal Hocking lost 3 starters and the first off the bench in last years rotation ... We saw 2 good D4 teams today ...
When are we going to start giving Fairfield the credit they deserve? And no this isn't coming from a Fairfield alumni. I get they lost 4 starters to graduation, but last years team had a perfect regular season with a tough schedule while losing their best player half way through the year. Every team plays games back to back during the season. Fairfield has a perfect record so far, including a win over Cedarville (who probably won't lose many more games). My point, don't sleep on Fairfield, they have 5+ players that can defend, rebound, and split up the scoring pretty evenly. Including point guard Larkin Friend who nearly averages a triple double with points, assists, and rebounds.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

ohiohoops wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:32 am
pfloyd wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:07 pm

When are we going to start giving Fairfield the credit they deserve? And no this isn't coming from a Fairfield alumni. I get they lost 4 starters to graduation, but last years team had a perfect regular season with a tough schedule while losing their best player half way through the year. Every team plays games back to back during the season. Fairfield has a perfect record so far, including a win over Cedarville (who probably won't lose many more games). My point, don't sleep on Fairfield, they have 5+ players that can defend, rebound, and split up the scoring pretty evenly. Including point guard Larkin Friend who nearly averages a triple double with points, assists, and rebounds.
Valid take. I’ve watched Fed several times now and Fairfield the first time yesterday. I’d say the lions win that game 9/10 times. They’re really good. Then again I don’t think fed is all that great either. You’re right all teams play back to back at some point. They barely made it out of Latham. Who else is gonna step up when Cottril or Airhart can’t hit the ocean

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54

Return to “Boys Basketball”