Which SE programs added impact transfers this season?

Pioneer14
Waterboy

Which SE programs added impact transfers this season?

Post by Pioneer14 »

Did any SE District schools get transfers that are making major contributions this season? Just curious as this is happening with regularity in other parts of the state which changes the landscape for league and district championships.

Manxious2
Riding the Bench

Re: Which SE programs added impact transfers this season?

Post by Manxious2 »

It sounds like the advent of the High School version of the NIL or a "transfer portal" coming soon. Well, they have ruined College football, why not high school basketball! Sports administrators just turn their heads away from putting their foot down, and stopping this development. There are solutions but it takes courage. Put private schools in their own "divisions" and force a no exception rule that no student may be allowed to participate in high school sports for a period of one year in transferring from any one district/state. I don't know, but there has to be some red line drawn in the sand. There are solutions but it takes courage!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Burg: Lattimore (from Portsmouth)

Portsmouth: Loper (from Clay)

South Webster: Timothy (not a transfer, but a foreign exchange student)

That’s main ones I can think of in Scioto County.*

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Westfall added Joe Wray from Circleville ...

Waverly added Gunnar Myers/Sawyer Myers from Huntington Ross
Waverly added Weston Bloss from Piketon

Manxious2
Riding the Bench

Post by Manxious2 »

art_vandelay.... BTW, I have read your posts for the last number of years and have great respect for your insight and knowledge about high school basketball. It is also refreshing to see the mature level of your comments about players and coaches and schools
as well. Anyway, having said that, I wanted to acknowledge that it is always easy to throw simplistic type solutions to issues such as "recruiting", transfering of athletes between districts, etc etc. but there has to come a point where difficult, thoughtful and painful decisions have to be made to correct the burgeoning problem in high school AND Collegiate athletics. It will soon be too late to correct some of these problems, especially in the Collegiate level of play.
Anyway, maybe schools should be severely sanctioned when the school or coaches are caught recruiting players. It does ocassionally happen and then they get a slap on the wrist.
I was not trying to imply anything about the subject or players you were talking about. I am anxious to see the kid at South Webster play however! :)

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

We’re gonna get us a Wemby next year. Anyone got any good leads from Europe on some kids for next year?

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Manxious2 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:41 pm art_vandelay.... BTW, I have read your posts for the last number of years and have great respect for your insight and knowledge about high school basketball. It is also refreshing to see the mature level of your comments about players and coaches and schools
as well. Anyway, having said that, I wanted to acknowledge that it is always easy to throw simplistic type solutions to issues such as "recruiting", transfering of athletes between districts, etc etc. but there has to come a point where difficult, thoughtful and painful decisions have to be made to correct the burgeoning problem in high school AND Collegiate athletics. It will soon be too late to correct some of these problems, especially in the Collegiate level of play.
Anyway, maybe schools should be severely sanctioned when the school or coaches are caught recruiting players. It does ocassionally happen and then they get a slap on the wrist.
I was not trying to imply anything about the subject or players you were talking about. I am anxious to see the kid at South Webster play however! :)
Manxious: thanks for the kind words…I’m just a guy who loves high school sports and watching these athletes develop from junior high up though high school and beyond. Older I get, the more I try to stay out of petty arguments and trash talk on here and focus on analysis over editorials. Life’s too short to spend arguing with strangers on the internet!

But for the record, none of the guys I posted above I would consider there to be any “recruiting” issues. Each had situations from people I’ve talked to that led to the transfers. And I’ve followed basketball in this area for last 30+ years and can only think of a handful of transfers that I thought were questionable.

There definitely needs to be increased monitoring of transfers though, as I’m sure there is some shady stuff going on around the state. But it’s very hard to prove. I also know from personal experience that some kids transfer schools for reasons completely unrelated to sports even though they also happen to be athletes. No silver bullet will solve all of the transfer issues, so I just try to keep an open mind on the issue from all sides.

Swank: if Webster finds them a Wemby, look out Richmond Heights!*

Return to “Boys Basketball”