Max Preps

Hookshot
Varsity

Re: Max Preps

Post by Hookshot »

Questions:
1. In determining "Opponents Winning Percentage" does the RPI points system count the record on an ongoing basis over the course of the year -- e.g. you play Smith H.S. in December and they have a record of 2-0. Their record ultimately ends up 18-2. Is that record then added to all of your opponents and percentage calculated by total wins and losses vs opponents over the course of the entire season (through Feb. 9 the seeding cutoff date) or the record as of the date you played that team?
2. If you play Smith H.S. twice, does that opponent's record get counted twice in your total "Opponent's Winning Percentage") since it would be two separate games?
-Hopefully I've described my questions well enough for someone to clear this up. Thanks.

EdChambers
Waterboy

Post by EdChambers »

An opponents winning percentage updates throughout the season. A team can go a week without playing a game yet their RPI will change as a result of their opponents winning percentages and the opponents opponents winning percentages changing.

If you play an opponent twice, the the opponents winning percentage would be factored in twice. If you've played an opponent with a 7-5 record twice and split the two games, .600000 would be factored into your opponents winning percentage twice since their record would be 6-4 excluding the two games you played against them.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

The categories are
Your teams winning percentage (e.g SW is 11-2 so 84.6%)
Opponents winning percentage ( SW opponents win 62.7%)
And the opponents opponents winning percentage so that should be some percentage of around 200 games by the end of the year right?

*The RPI Formula is 40% WP + 35% OWP + 25% OOWP.

So 60% of the rankings is going to be based on your opponents and their strength schedule.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

EdChambers wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:05 pm An opponents winning percentage updates throughout the season. A team can go a week without playing a game yet their RPI will change as a result of their opponents winning percentages and the opponents opponents winning percentages changing.

If you play an opponent twice, the the opponents winning percentage would be factored in twice. If you've played an opponent with a 7-5 record twice and split the two games, .600000 would be factored into your opponents winning percentage twice since their record would be 6-4 excluding the two games you played against them.
But I assume you just add up all of your opponents’ collective records and get the OWP like this: 120 wins, 80 losses = .600. You don’t take the winning percentage for each team; e.g. .600 and .400 and .200 and add them to equal 1.200 divided by 3 — at least I assume it’s not calculated that way.

EdChambers
Waterboy

Post by EdChambers »

Your assumption isn't accurate. You add up the winning percentages of a team's opponents and divide by the number of games. In their FAQ, the OHSAA noted that the calculation is not based on the combined record of your opponents but is calculated by averaging each winning percentage of the opponents. The difference is relatively small.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

EdChambers wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:31 pm Your assumption isn't accurate. You add up the winning percentages of a team's opponents and divide by the number of games. In their FAQ, the OHSAA noted that the calculation is not based on the combined record of your opponents but is calculated by averaging each winning percentage of the opponents. The difference is relatively small.
Can you or someone post a link to the FAQ? I cannot locate it for some reason.

GrumpyPundit
Riding the Bench

Post by GrumpyPundit »

Does division play into RPI? If so, can someone point me toward the formula? Thanks.

Return to “Boys Basketball”