Officiating!

justpassinthru
Riding the Bench

Re: Officiating!

Post by justpassinthru »

Good Players work on their game in off season
Good Coaches go to clinics and such to improve
Good Officials go to clinics and camps to improve

SInce this is an Officials thread - I know several younger officials doing this. Trying to get better in the off season, spending their own money. I know several older officials not even considering this, they have no interest in getting better just see it as a way of making a couple bucks

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

mikepike wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:17 am Are there "good" officials? Yes.
Are there "bad" officials? Yes

Volunteer to work the scorers table and you will see both, but you will also see that they are, regardless of how coaches, players, and crowd reacts, trying their best. If more people sitting in the stands would take the class and become a licensed official, maybe we would have more "good" officials and fewer "bad" officials.
Refs are in a lose lose situation with every call. In almost every call half the gym will scream at refs other half will cheer. No amount of classes or preparation from officials is gonna ever change that. Always been this way always will. But parents are not the cause of our offiatng shortage. It’s AAU basketball, plain and simple. But I can’t state this enough. I love this thread 💜

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Elijah Craig wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:17 am Here’s my 2 cents. Have you ever read that rule book? No one in their right mind could know all that’s in that thing. And the game moves to fast for those people to cheat.

A good rule of thumb is let them officiate and let us yell about it.
I let others do the yelling in my vicinity 😂😂😂

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

My favorite part of games is when officials hand out technicals because they don’t like how people look at them. Take over the game, that’s what your there for!

Older bird
Freshman Team

Post by Older bird »

I was a ref from the Jr high level thru Varsity. Done it for 8 years because I wanted to give back to sport I love. The yelling from the stands never really bothered me. Nor did coaches from their box. I just warned them and if they continued they got the T. Easy enough. What ran me off of reffing was the politics involved n getting games and getting tournament game. I was n no way the best out there. Nor was I the worst. But when continue to see worse officiating get tournament games only cause they were older and good ol boys is what done me n. And before u think it was ego trip to get tournament games. No it wasn’t. I just felt tourney teams deserved better than tjey got. I never held a grudge or gave two craps who won any game I was involved in. I’ll get off my pedestal now

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

I know refs can't see everything, but something that happens in front of you make the call. You will not please everyone. Yes I do yell, mostly about inconsistencies.

DUNK1
Freshman Team

Post by DUNK1 »

Watching a great coach work the refs and get most of if not all the calls in a game is best part of a game. Then when he gives them the go ahead, after the game is no longer in doubt, to start making the calls more even so no one can complain after the game well that’s a work of art. Only few can get it done and the best one has a technique that has been given a name that pretty much every high school fan in Ohio recognizes. Especially in D4. Anyone care to guess the name?

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Older bird wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:13 pm I was a ref from the Jr high level thru Varsity. Done it for 8 years because I wanted to give back to sport I love. The yelling from the stands never really bothered me. Nor did coaches from their box. I just warned them and if they continued they got the T. Easy enough. What ran me off of reffing was the politics involved n getting games and getting tournament game. I was n no way the best out there. Nor was I the worst. But when continue to see worse officiating get tournament games only cause they were older and good ol boys is what done me n. And before u think it was ego trip to get tournament games. No it wasn’t. I just felt tourney teams deserved better than tjey got. I never held a grudge or gave two craps who won any game I was involved in. I’ll get off my pedestal now
This is one of the most spot on comments I’ve read on preps. You constantly see the same officials at the convo and majority of them can barely run up and down the court. It is definitely a good ol boys club.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

peake71 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:51 pm I know refs can't see everything, but something that happens in front of you make the call. You will not please everyone. Yes I do yell, mostly about inconsistencies.
If I can see it from the upper deck how can 3 guys not see it from the floor 😂

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

DUNK1 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:05 pm Watching a great coach work the refs and get most of if not all the calls in a game is best part of a game. Then when he gives them the go ahead, after the game is no longer in doubt, to start making the calls more even so no one can complain after the game well that’s a work of art. Only few can get it done and the best one has a technique that has been given a name that pretty much every high school fan in Ohio recognizes. Especially in D4. Anyone care to guess the name?
Must be talking about Norm.🤣 😂

Return to “Boys Basketball”