Meigs (14-2) @ Marietta (15-2)

HamPorter
All Conference

Re: Meigs (14-2) @ Marietta (15-2)

Post by HamPorter »

SouthEast Hoops Fan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:30 am Just reading strength of schedule arguments and matchup margins, etc., people act as if we can figure out what’s going to happen on a given night. Look, the Lakers beat the Celtics easily at Boston Garden this past week with Davis and LeBron not playing.
It’s pretty easy in high school sports. Upsets happen but not that much

When a team plays a bad schedule and wins several close games against those bad teams, usually they aren’t going to compete with schools who hammer similar teams. Theres a reason someone made the 17-5 meigs post, because that’s what they will finish

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

A 10-point VC win would not shock me. A 15 or 20-point Marietta win would not surprise me. Lots of variables.

MarauderMadness
JV Team

Post by MarauderMadness »

We suck

E High
All State

Post by E High »

pioneer19 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:15 am
E High wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:29 am
Hookshot wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:42 pm First, possibly "Marietta people" respect the game and respect their opponents, especially when their opponent is 14-2.

- Currently, Marietta's opponents have the 5th best winning percentage of the top 9 D-II Southeast teams. By next Friday, Marietta will likely rank third-highest in OWP in the Southeast.

- Marietta's opponent's opponents (OOWP) currently have the best winning percentage of the 9 top teams in the Southeast.

How many Meigs games have you seen this season? How many Marietta games?
Lol. Marietta having a nice year. SE is Bad outside of 3-4 teams. Their schedule is basically watered down. We’ll see how good they are in the tournament. I see a 2 and out, but I wish them well 👍
Kind of back handed, but coming from you I'll take it. Welcome to the Marietta bandwagon, E High. :D
Coming from me ? Rooting for Marietta to do well. They’ve done nothing in the tournament for Years. If they were in the old ECOL from 10-15 years ago, they’d just be about.500. It’s a different place and time and they have little choice, but to play a watered down the local schedule. Good luck Tigers !

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

E High wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:30 pm
Lol. Marietta having a nice year. SE is Bad outside of 3-4 teams. Their schedule is basically watered down. We’ll see how good they are in the tournament. I see a 2 and out, but I wish them well 👍
Kind of back handed, but coming from you I'll take it. Welcome to the Marietta bandwagon, E High. :D
Coming from me ? Rooting for Marietta to do well. They’ve done nothing in the tournament for Years. If they were in the old ECOL from 10-15 years ago, they’d just be about.500. It’s a different place and time and they have little choice, but to play a watered down the local schedule. Good luck Tigers !
This Marietta team would do just fine in the old ECOL. They may have a couple more losses, but they'd be very competitive and well above .500. The past is irrelevant. This is a much different team and coaching staff. Get out and watch them play. They are very fun to watch and better than you seem to think. It's hard to win tournament games, but this team has the potential to go on a run.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Hookshot wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:42 pm First, possibly "Marietta people" respect the game and respect their opponents, especially when their opponent is 14-2.

- Currently, Marietta's opponents have the 5th best winning percentage of the top 9 D-II Southeast teams. By next Friday, Marietta will likely rank third-highest in OWP in the Southeast.

- Marietta's opponent's opponents (OOWP) currently have the best winning percentage of the 9 top teams in the Southeast.

How many Meigs games have you seen this season? How many Marietta games?
You say "SE is Bad outside of 3-4 teams". Is that Marietta's fault? So Marietta's schedule is "watered down"? So tell us whose schedule is NOT "watered down" in SE Ohio? Name the schools and let's compare schedules. Could the Tigers go "2 and out" in the tournament as you predict? Sure. Very possible. Doesn't take away from a tremendous year and a dramatic change there over the past two years.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

E High wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:30 pm
As someone who knows a little ECOL history, if Marietta were in the ECOL this season and the teams were as they were 15 years ago, it is likely the Tigers would finish 2nd. D-I Dover is very good and we only have one common opponent on this year’s schedule to date (Steubenville: Dover won by 10, Marietta by 25) but Dover is better and both Dover and New Philly play some strong “non ECOL” teams this season, even though both of their OWP’s are below Marietta’s. Just another perspective on an opinion message board.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

10-15 years ago they wouldn’t win many against Zanesville. Dover. Philly. Cambridge. I’d throw in 2-3 Coshocton teams n 2-3 Claymont teams. They wouldn’t come close to 2nd place. Tigers are having a fine season and good luck in the tournament.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

PS : I forgot about Meadowbrook They’ve had some crazy good teams up until the last couple years.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

E High wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:23 pm 10-15 years ago they wouldn’t win many against Zanesville. Dover. Philly. Cambridge. I’d throw in 2-3 Coshocton teams n 2-3 Claymont teams. They wouldn’t come close to 2nd place. Tigers are having a fine season and good luck in the tournament.
If the ECOL existed today with the same teams it had 15 years ago, Marietta would likely finish 2nd this year behind Dover. Possibly I wasn’t clear as to what I was attempting to communicate. I’m talking about this year’s Marietta team against the ECOL member schools this season .

E High
All State

Post by E High »

SouthEast Hoops Fan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:54 pm [quote="E High" post_id=2099299 time=<a href="tel:1707168198">1707168198</a> user_id=3858]
10-15 years ago they wouldn’t win many against Zanesville. Dover. Philly. Cambridge. I’d throw in 2-3 Coshocton teams n 2-3 Claymont teams. They wouldn’t come close to 2nd place. Tigers are having a fine season and good luck in the tournament.
If the ECOL existed today with the same teams it had 15 years ago, Marietta would likely finish 2nd this year behind Dover. Possibly I wasn’t clear as to what I was attempting to communicate. I’m talking about this year’s Marietta team against the ECOL member schools this season .
[/quote]
SouthEast Hoops Fan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:54 pm
E High wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:23 pm 10-15 years ago they wouldn’t win many against Zanesville. Dover. Philly. Cambridge. I’d throw in 2-3 Coshocton teams n 2-3 Claymont teams. They wouldn’t come close to 2nd place. Tigers are having a fine season and good luck in the tournament.
Absolutely agree ! Good luck going forward 👍

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Meigs is overrated.

Return to “Boys Basketball”