Same ol song & dance in South Webster

BasketballGuy
Waterboy

Same ol song & dance in South Webster

Post by BasketballGuy »

Last night's performance by SW was just hideous. It seemed they where trending the right direction headed towards the tournament after some big wins over Wburg - Minford - and PWest last week. The 6'7" Roberts looked to revert back to old ways last night with being lazy, crying and allowing his teamates to play 5-4 most of the game. I thought he would of been held to a higher standard with the new coaching change ( guess not ).
At this point of the season the team should have found their identity but they look to of went backwards since the start of the season , that's a coaching issue not holding kids accountable for their lack of efforts and attitude.
It's a shame, this team has so much talent and it's not being utilized to it's maximum potential.
What's it going to take for these boys to find their identity and make a deep tournament run to make Jeep Nation happy?

#Girlsrule
Riding the Bench

Re: Same ol song & dance in South Webster

Post by #Girlsrule »

Completely agree, BasketballGuy. No accountability for poor effort and behavior. There are players who get yanked out of the game for making a mistake while another can give no effort and play the whole game. Makes no sense. Certain player’s strengths aren’t being utilized. It’s crazy to watch a team with that much talent play that poorly.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I wish every fan base was still on here like Webster’s is. This place would be a lot more lively.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Still trying to figure out why Jack Timothy gets one mistake per game before he’s benched for the whole game. I think the last play he played last night was on a break away where White passed him the ball about 3 seconds to late. Them boys have got to do some serious work on passing into the interior. Nobody cuts to the basket anymore?¿

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

South Webster has had a great season and could very well go deep in the tournament. Seems like too much focus on one game to me.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Hookshot wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:42 am South Webster has had a great season and could very well go deep in the tournament. Seems like too much focus on one game to me.
Just wait until they blow someone out and it’s all sunshine and happiness again :lol:

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

#Girlsrule wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:11 am Completely agree, BasketballGuy. No accountability for poor effort and behavior. There are players who get yanked out of the game for making a mistake while another can give no effort and play the whole game. Makes no sense. Certain player’s strengths aren’t being utilized. It’s crazy to watch a team with that much talent play that poorly.
That’s what you get when you hire the “old school disciplinarian” coach. Those guys rules don’t apply to the stars of the team. Can’t risk losing them. Don’t say I didn’t warn those who raved that “Stormin Norman” will get that player under control. Not gonna happen.

Space Between
Waterboy

Post by Space Between »

It's one bad game. My goodness. This is probably the best thing to happen to SW right before tournament. It's a good slice of humble pie. They will get everything worked out and be fine in the tournament. More than likely, ND wont make that any 3s in a game again. There's a big majority of schools in the state that would love to have the season SW is having. The fans/parents at Webster are the absolute worst. Definitely has driven some guys who would gladly be involved with that program out of there. Never seen anything like it in my life.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Who’s been driven away from the program? I hear this all the time. Let’s hear it

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Webster will cake walk to a district final. From there, Roberts will have to get over 20 a game to advance and he is still talented enough to dot it. Outside of Roberts, the other players are just going through the journey of playing high school sports.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

wobycat wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:14 pm Webster will cake walk to a district final. From there, Roberts will have to get over 20 a game to advance and he is still talented enough to dot it. Outside of Roberts, the other players are just going through the journey of playing high school sports.
What do you think Roberts' future is after high school?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Hookshot wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:33 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:14 pm Webster will cake walk to a district final. From there, Roberts will have to get over 20 a game to advance and he is still talented enough to dot it. Outside of Roberts, the other players are just going through the journey of playing high school sports.
I am not an expert, but I think he is a mid-major D1 type of player. He will eventually mature. Just hasn't happened yet.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

wobycat wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:04 pm
I am not an expert, but I think he is a mid-major D1 type of player. He will eventually mature. Just hasn't happened yet.
I’ve seen him play a couple of times. Significant upside if the desire is there. Never want to rule anything out but a D-1 mid-major will be a real challenge.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I'm thinking his Dad still has some ties to Morehead so maybe he goes there. 6'7" should be dominating every night around here. He struggles on taking the ball to the hole and with not a great outside shot, he needs to work on taking the ball to the hole and either getting the basket or getting fouled and shooting free throws. He should hard to handle in the paint and in the games I've watched he just hasn't dominated.

He has the talent. Just needs to corral that attitude and let his play on the court do the talking.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:44 pm
Defense matters too.

I'm thinking his Dad still has some ties to Morehead so maybe he goes there. 6'7" should be dominating every night around here. He struggles on taking the ball to the hole and with not a great outside shot, he needs to work on taking the ball to the hole and either getting the basket or getting fouled and shooting free throws. He should hard to handle in the paint and in the games I've watched he just hasn't dominated.

He has the talent. Just needs to corral that attitude and let his play on the court do the talking.

#Girlsrule
Riding the Bench

Post by #Girlsrule »

This is not about one bad game. It’s been brewing for a few games. And I agree that a lose before tournaments can fuel a fire. However, it’s bigger than that. It’s about allowing one of the best players on the team to behave selfishly, repeatedly. I want nothing more than to see those boys successful, but there must be accountability. They need it for bball and life.

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

I don’t know of many coaches that would want to recruit a kid if they had bad body language/attitude. If they do, they give it 1 year and the kid is out of the program…even if that. High school coaches refrain from what they want to say since most teach or work within the school and winning is everything in most cases today….a college coach still has some limits but I’d imagine they won’t hold back or care about feelings when addressing negatives such as body language and attitude.

Roberts is a gifted/talented athlete and hope he finishes his career strong.

Sciotodowns
Waterboy

Post by Sciotodowns »

Ole the mommy’s and daddies of SW! The fact that some of you are questioning Norm Persin’s coaching style, calling him “Stormin Normin” and “old school”. I’m not sure if you are idiots or don’t pay attention, but the Norm that SW has is not the same Norm that was at Oak Hill or Peake. First I will say that Norm has forgotten more basketball than anybody on this thread, but Fenton does the majority of the bench coaching! Your comments and judgement are silly and I see right through the fact that your baby isn’t getting the PT you want. Good basketball teams go through droughts or rough spells. They will be fine come tourney time!

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:44 pm

hes nowhere close to the player his dad was

123xxx
Freshman Team

Post by 123xxx »

They are 17-3 and the losses are against very talented teams. They also have several really good wins. The schedule SW played this year is very strong. They are prepared for tournament success. These kids and coaches want to win, even the name you continually criticize. The kids don’t get paid. No NIL deals. Stop! They are kids. Everything is in front of them if THEY stick together and avoid listening to the crap. ND is a good team and highly capable of beating other good teams. Simple as that. Move forward and I’m not speaking to the adults.

Return to “Boys Basketball”