N W VS BURG

RBH23
S

Re: N W VS BURG

Post by RBH23 »

Prime Time wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:55 pm Has anyone thought that maybe all the crying and questioning every call was because heaven forbid Wheelersburg getting taken to the shed by little o Northwest. The way I see it maybe Wheelersburg was actually fouling every other play and little o Northwest should layed down for the Pirates. Wow when you say the Mohawks beat the Pirates in anything , maybe they already had a win racked up in there heads and just couldnt wrap there heads around getting trounced by the Mohawks. Good Luck going forward to the Mohawks! Yes you deserve all the credit.
No one said Northwest won because of the officials. Northwest was absolutely the better team. Would probably beat Burg 7-8x out of 10 games.

But the officials simply called an inconsistent game. That fact can be true as well.

This isn’t rocket science folks. Was not hard to see both were true even for people who have never played, never coached, or never officiated.

TrueFan
JV Team

Post by TrueFan »

art_vandelay wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:06 am Adkins dad getting kicked out was highlight of night tho :lol:
Yeah, what happened there? Saw it from the other side of the floor and was curious as to what happened.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

I honestly just thought Northwest was the better team. Seriously, they would’ve won no matter the foul calls in my opinion. It’s tournament time. Happens every year.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bfry wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:59 pm I honestly just thought Northwest was the better team. Seriously, they would’ve won no matter the foul calls in my opinion. It’s tournament time. Happens every year.
Spot on. Burg needed to hit a higher percentage to have a chance but cedit some of that to the mowhawk defense. They were a lot tougher.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

In the post season, I feel that maturity is a trait that comes into play - if the opponent goes on a run, being able to understand that the game IS a game of runs so you don't get flustered or if calls aren't going your way, you have to still keep your head in the game, focus on execution at both ends ... in the post season all of the teams are worthy opponents/quality opponents ... if you aren't focused at any point in the game your opponent has the advantage either to score offensively or make plays vs you defensively ... as we all know possessions are like gold - valuable - doesn't matter if they are in the 1st quarter or the last ... so many times I've said while watching these games - to anyone who will listen LOL - "this is a BIG possession" or "THAT was a big possession" ... how ever you want to look at it, Northwest was the better TEAM vs Wheelersburg yesterday ... lots of variables, lots to analyze , lots of what ifs ... as a player in these games you have to understand that you can't let any single variable be THE variable that costs you the game ... a team full of seniors vs a team vs sophomores? the seniors have been through the wars, "seen things", experience matters ... maturity matters ... for the Burg - they say the best thing about sophomores is that they become juniors - there's good things to come with this group of Burg sophs - as always we will watch from the cheap seats the next couple years and see if I was right or wrong ...

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:01 pm
bfry wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:59 pm I honestly just thought Northwest was the better team. Seriously, they would’ve won no matter the foul calls in my opinion. It’s tournament time. Happens every year.
Spot on. Burg needed to hit a higher percentage to have a chance but cedit some of that to the mowhawk defense. They were a lot tougher.
And I think you should be able to objectively say things like that and not be taken as being critical honestly. Obviously Wheelersburg was a really good team this year. They were the 1 seed after all. They didn’t play well yesterday and Northwest had a lot to do with that. No shame in saying just that.

Seofanatic
Riding the Bench

Post by Seofanatic »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:28 pm In the post season, I feel that maturity is a trait that comes into play - if the opponent goes on a run, being able to understand that the game IS a game of runs so you don't get flustered or if calls aren't going your way, you have to still keep your head in the game, focus on execution at both ends ... in the post season all of the teams are worthy opponents/quality opponents ... if you aren't focused at any point in the game your opponent has the advantage either to score offensively or make plays vs you defensively ... as we all know possessions are like gold - valuable - doesn't matter if they are in the 1st quarter or the last ... so many times I've said while watching these games - to anyone who will listen LOL - "this is a BIG possession" or "THAT was a big possession" ... how ever you want to look at it, Northwest was the better TEAM vs Wheelersburg yesterday ... lots of variables, lots to analyze , lots of what ifs ... as a player in these games you have to understand that you can't let any single variable be THE variable that costs you the game ... a team full of seniors vs a team vs sophomores? the seniors have been through the wars, "seen things", experience matters ... maturity matters ... for the Burg - they say the best thing about sophomores is that they become juniors - there's good things to come with this group of Burg sophs - as always we will watch from the cheap seats the next couple years and see if I was right or wrong ...
Spot on pfloyd. I said going into the game, Northwest was the more experienced team and as long as they stayed out of foul trouble, they'd win the game. Northwest is better defensively than just about any team I've watched all year. Most, if not all the teams they've played, have not faced any teams with the defensive intensity the Mohawks bring. These games have been great to follow, and as always, I've enjoyed your insights on each one.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Seofanatic wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:51 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:28 pm In the post season, I feel that maturity is a trait that comes into play - if the opponent goes on a run, being able to understand that the game IS a game of runs so you don't get flustered or if calls aren't going your way, you have to still keep your head in the game, focus on execution at both ends ... in the post season all of the teams are worthy opponents/quality opponents ... if you aren't focused at any point in the game your opponent has the advantage either to score offensively or make plays vs you defensively ... as we all know possessions are like gold - valuable - doesn't matter if they are in the 1st quarter or the last ... so many times I've said while watching these games - to anyone who will listen LOL - "this is a BIG possession" or "THAT was a big possession" ... how ever you want to look at it, Northwest was the better TEAM vs Wheelersburg yesterday ... lots of variables, lots to analyze , lots of what ifs ... as a player in these games you have to understand that you can't let any single variable be THE variable that costs you the game ... a team full of seniors vs a team vs sophomores? the seniors have been through the wars, "seen things", experience matters ... maturity matters ... for the Burg - they say the best thing about sophomores is that they become juniors - there's good things to come with this group of Burg sophs - as always we will watch from the cheap seats the next couple years and see if I was right or wrong ...
Spot on pfloyd. I said going into the game, Northwest was the more experienced team and as long as they stayed out of foul trouble, they'd win the game. Northwest is better defensively than just about any team I've watched all year. Most, if not all the teams they've played, have not faced any teams with the defensive intensity the Mohawks bring. These games have been great to follow, and as always, I've enjoyed your insights on each one.
I appreciate that Seofantic … thanks for the reads…

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:07 pm
Elijah Craig wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:22 pm The officiating wasn’t the best. But they were equal opportunity officials for both sides. Was it a very Physical game? If you watched, then you know.

NW has 4 seniors, who have been thru the gauntlet and can handle it. Burg has some underclassmen that didn’t handle it well.
great win for Mohawknation.
the whole area is now behind NW
I don’t agree that they were “equal opportunity officials for both sides.” The foul discrepancy was significant.

However, I do agree that NW seniors handled the game well and Burg players didn’t. And to Woby’s comment, NW was the better team and won because of that.
RBH23. What I mean by equal opportunity is, the officials were not really good either way.

The difference being NW seniors were stronger.

When the game became a shoving match, which it did, NW was the stronger, more physical team. I’m not saying, the fouls were equal. Some of the calls, I just shook my head in disbelief, on both ends of the floor.

But, just remember, The rule book says nothing about foul numbers being equal. And, I haven’t seen a game called that bad in a lot of years.

@wobycat is absolutely right, NW was the better team on that night
Last edited by Elijah Craig on Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

Good Take. Spot on!

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

TrueFan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:40 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:06 am Adkins dad getting kicked out was highlight of night tho :lol:
Yeah, what happened there? Saw it from the other side of the floor and was curious as to what happened.
He was yelling Obscenities and pointing his finger at Burg’s Superintendent

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Elijah Craig wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:38 pm
I feel sorry for the kid. He’s talented. Hopefully he can hang in at the burg but I’m not sure dad will let it happen.

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:10 pm

I feel sorry for the kid. He’s talented. Hopefully he can hang in at the burg but I’m not sure dad will let it happen.

I hope he gets some peace and can just be a kid. It’s hard enough to be just that in this day and age

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Elijah Craig wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:32 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:07 pm
Elijah Craig wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:22 pm The officiating wasn’t the best. But they were equal opportunity officials for both sides. Was it a very Physical game? If you watched, then you know.

NW has 4 seniors, who have been thru the gauntlet and can handle it. Burg has some underclassmen that didn’t handle it well.
great win for Mohawknation.
the whole area is now behind NW
I don’t agree that they were “equal opportunity officials for both sides.” The foul discrepancy was significant.

However, I do agree that NW seniors handled the game well and Burg players didn’t. And to Woby’s comment, NW was the better team and won because of that.
RBH23. What I mean by equal opportunity is, the officials were not really good either way.

The difference being NW seniors were stronger.

When the game became a shoving match, which it did, NW was the stronger, more physical team. I’m not saying, the fouls were equal. Some of the calls, I just shook my head in disbelief, on both ends of the floor.

But, just remember, The rule book says nothing about foul numbers being equal. And, I haven’t seen a game called that bad in a lot of years.

@wobycat is absolutely right, NW was the better team on that night
I agree with NW being stronger. That was very apparent.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

That’s ridiculous. No adult should act that way, but sadly he’s not the first adult at Burg to do so.

Really feel bad for the kid.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

I was all over NW because they didn't play Burg or Minford during the regular season. I can understand why now, Scarberry wanted to get his team confidence. Losing to burg in the regular season may of gave his team some doubt and that doubt may of carried over into tournament time. NW to me is a complete team.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:38 pm
Prime Time wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:55 pm Has anyone thought that maybe all the crying and questioning every call was because heaven forbid Wheelersburg getting taken to the shed by little o Northwest. The way I see it maybe Wheelersburg was actually fouling every other play and little o Northwest should layed down for the Pirates. Wow when you say the Mohawks beat the Pirates in anything , maybe they already had a win racked up in there heads and just couldnt wrap there heads around getting trounced by the Mohawks. Good Luck going forward to the Mohawks! Yes you deserve all the credit.
No one said Northwest won because of the officials. Northwest was absolutely the better team. Would probably beat Burg 7-8x out of 10 games.

But the officials simply called an inconsistent game. That fact can be true as well.

This isn’t rocket science folks. Was not hard to see both were true even for people who have never played, never coached, or never officiated.

NW was the better team but bottom line NW was allowed to play more physical and it showed. Wasn't surprised of the foul discrepancy especially when I saw Schwartzel was one of the officials. That guy has had a hardon for Burg for years and no one really knows why. He made two total calls in Burg's favorite and I know this because I kept track of him. Not sure who the other two officals were but when one team (Burg) drives the lane, gets hammered with no call and the other team (NW) drives the lane and gets the call on the same type of play, yeah it's going to alter one teams play. Burg's offense all season was driving to the hole and getting a layup or the foul. They weren't getting the fouls on Saturday. Still not saying officials alone cost the Burg. NW was stronger. NW was just able to play there game. Burg wasn't!!!

It's funny that I was listening to the radio guys on WNXT and one of them said that I can betcha all of Scioto County was pulling for the Mohawks today just made me chuckle. Seemed about right.

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

Hoopster98 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:09 am I was all over NW because they didn't play Burg or Minford during the regular season. I can understand why now, Scarberry wanted to get his team confidence. Losing to burg in the regular season may of gave his team some doubt and that doubt may of carried over into tournament time. NW to me is a complete team.
Coach Scarberry has No say in who they play in conference, including crossover games! The SOC decides that

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

ok well it worked out for NW.

Larry Fine
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Fine »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:27 am
RBH23 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:38 pm

NW was the better team but bottom line NW was allowed to play more physical and it showed. Wasn't surprised of the foul discrepancy especially when I saw Schwartzel was one of the officials. That guy has had a hardon for Burg for years and no one really knows why. He made two total calls in Burg's favorite and I know this because I kept track of him. Not sure who the other two officals were but when one team (Burg) drives the lane, gets hammered with no call and the other team (NW) drives the lane and gets the call on the same type of play, yeah it's going to alter one teams play. Burg's offense all season was driving to the hole and getting a layup or the foul. They weren't getting the fouls on Saturday. Still not saying officials alone cost the Burg. NW was stronger. NW was just able to play there game. Burg wasn't!!!

It's funny that I was listening to the radio guys on WNXT and one of them said that I can betcha all of Scioto County was pulling for the Mohawks today just made me chuckle. Seemed about right.
So you’re hinting around that Schwartzel does not like Wheelersburg and intentionally calls an unfair game when Burg plays ? Also that the referees would watch the Burg players get “hammered” and would intentionally not call the foul ?

Return to “Boys Basketball”